Send/Receive Complete

This is a truly minor question that I have about Outlook 2002 on Windows =
XP.

When I click the Send/Receive button or press F9, the message =
Send/Receive Complete appears in the lower right-hand corner of the =
window almost immediately, but the animation - the little letter moving =
between the two folders - keeps on going for anywhere between 6 to 8 =
seconds afterward.

Are sending and receiving complete when I see the Send/Receive Complete =
message or somewhat later when the animation stops? I wouldn't want to =
close Outlook while mail might still be on the way.

Since this is my big problem with Outlook I guess you could say I'm a =
happy guy.  :-)

Daddy
0
daddy1845 (5)

Probably its outlook syncing folders, ie polling for new mail

"Daddy" <daddy@not.valid.net> wrote in message
This is a truly minor question that I have about Outlook 2002 on Windows XP.

When I click the Send/Receive button or press F9, the message Send/Receive
Complete appears in the lower right-hand corner of the window almost
immediately, but the animation - the little letter moving between the two
folders - keeps on going for anywhere between 6 to 8 seconds afterward.

Are sending and receiving complete when I see the Send/Receive Complete
message or somewhat later when the animation stops? I wouldn't want to close
Outlook while mail might still be on the way.

Since this is my big problem with Outlook I guess you could say I'm a happy
guy.  :-)

Daddy

0
DL
7/16/2008 6:58:04 AM
The complete message comes up when the connection to the server is closed
but it takes outlook a few seconds to finish the process on its end,
especially if something was downloaded. It needs to process the messages and
submit them to the inbox and process rules. In most cases, closing outlook
while this is going on won't hurt anything - outlook won't close until its
finished. But if you constantly open and close outlook the checking for mail
process may eventually hang and stop checking for new mail until a reboot.
This was more common with the older versions but still occasionally happens.
You also should not check mail every minute - if its still processing when
the next mail pass kicks in it can cause the process to hang too.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

Access this newsgroup directly by visiting
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx

"Daddy" <daddy@not.valid.net> wrote in message
> This is a truly minor question that I have about Outlook 2002 on Windows
> XP.
>
> When I click the Send/Receive button or press F9, the message Send/Receive
> Complete appears in the lower right-hand corner of the window almost
> immediately, but the animation - the little letter moving between the two
> folders - keeps on going for anywhere between 6 to 8 seconds afterward.
>
> Are sending and receiving complete when I see the Send/Receive Complete
> message or somewhat later when the animation stops? I wouldn't want to
> close Outlook while mail might still be on the way.
>
> Since this is my big problem with Outlook I guess you could say I'm a
> happy guy.  :-)
>
> Daddy

0
outlookmvp (5838)
7/16/2008 11:57:15 AM
Thank you very much.

Daddy

"Diane Poremsky {MVP}" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message =
> The complete message comes up when the connection to the server is =
closed=20
> but it takes outlook a few seconds to finish the process on its end,=20
> especially if something was downloaded. It needs to process the =
messages and=20
> submit them to the inbox and process rules. In most cases, closing =
outlook=20
> while this is going on won't hurt anything - outlook won't close until =
its=20
> finished. But if you constantly open and close outlook the checking =
for mail=20
> process may eventually hang and stop checking for new mail until a =
reboot.=20
> This was more common with the older versions but still occasionally =
happens.=20
> You also should not check mail every minute - if its still processing =
when=20
> the next mail pass kicks in it can cause the process to hang too.
>=20
> --=20
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>=20
> Outlook Tips by email:
>=20
> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
>=20
>=20
> Access this newsgroup directly by visiting=20
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx
>=20
>=20
> "Daddy" <daddy@not.valid.net> wrote in message=20
>> This is a truly minor question that I have about Outlook 2002 on =
Windows=20
>> XP.
>>
>> When I click the Send/Receive button or press F9, the message =
Send/Receive=20
>> Complete appears in the lower right-hand corner of the window almost=20
>> immediately, but the animation - the little letter moving between the =
two=20
>> folders - keeps on going for anywhere between 6 to 8 seconds =
afterward.

>> Are sending and receiving complete when I see the Send/Receive =
Complete=20
>> message or somewhat later when the animation stops? I wouldn't want =
to=20
>> close Outlook while mail might still be on the way.
>>
>> Since this is my big problem with Outlook I guess you could say I'm a =

>> happy guy.  :-)
>>
>> Daddy=20
>=20

0