search public folders

We have exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 and 2007.  Our public folders have
over 1000 documents, public contacts, etc/

Is there a way - builtin or 3rd party - to do a search  so all materials -
documents, contacts, etc - that match will show up?

The current serach in Outlook doesnt seem to work with public folders.

thanks,
Raul Rego

0
rrego (52)

Do you mean searching across multiple public folders in one search? That's
not supported by the store provider for public folders.

To search like that Outlook must create a temporary search folder. PST files
and Exchange mailboxes support search folders, public folders do not so
Outlook can't do that kind of search. It's a matter of how the store
provider was written by the Exchange team.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Raul" <rrego@njpies.org> wrote in message
> We have exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 and 2007.  Our public folders have
> over 1000 documents, public contacts, etc/
>
> Is there a way - builtin or 3rd party - to do a search  so all materials -
> documents, contacts, etc - that match will show up?
>
> The current serach in Outlook doesnt seem to work with public folders.
>
> thanks,
> Raul Rego

0
kenslovak (742)
12/19/2007 2:21:35 PM
thanks.  It does seem as a shortsighted view in Microsoft to create Public
Folders that most corporations use to put every other document into it.

I just did a search and it seems like MS SharePoint will do what I want;
Dont even know what sharepoint is BUT just downloaded the 180 day trial and
will play with it.

Thanks,

"Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]" <kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Do you mean searching across multiple public folders in one search? That's
> not supported by the store provider for public folders.
>
> To search like that Outlook must create a temporary search folder. PST
> files and Exchange mailboxes support search folders, public folders do not
> so Outlook can't do that kind of search. It's a matter of how the store
> provider was written by the Exchange team.
>
> --
> Ken Slovak
> [MVP - Outlook]
> http://www.slovaktech.com
> Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
> Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options
> http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm
>

> "Raul" <rrego@njpies.org> wrote in message
>> We have exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 and 2007.  Our public folders have
>> over 1000 documents, public contacts, etc/
>>
>> Is there a way - builtin or 3rd party - to do a search  so all
>> materials - documents, contacts, etc - that match will show up?
>>
>> The current serach in Outlook doesnt seem to work with public folders.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Raul Rego

0
rrego (52)

How to Hide Left Panel of Folder Window?
I'm well behind the Windows curve and I'm just now learning to use Windows XP Home. Up to now I've been using Windows 2000 Pro. On my XP desktop I have a shortcut to my music folder which containins my MP3 files. When I double click on the shortcut, a window opens on the desktop displaying the contents of my music folder. This window has a panel along the left side containing items like "File and Folder Tasks" and "Other Places." I can't figure out how to close, hide or otherwise delete this panel. This panel takes up a lot of prec...

Possible to send email directly to a folder?
I know I've seen this done but I cannot remember how to send email to a folder by using its address in the CC: block.... When sending email, how can I also include the "address" of an OL folder in one of my open PSTso it automatically receives a copy of the email (much like Sent Items)? How about to my OL folders in my Exchange server? I have some templates filled with about 90% of what I have to send on a recurring basis, and preconfiguring the folder where I copy these (ffor later reference) would save me some work. I can swear I did this before but cannot find it now. TI...

Adding Contacts Folder as Address Book in Exchange Server
I am trying to add my contacts folder to my address book in Outlook XP and don't see the Tools, Options I used to see in Outlook 2000. How can I add this folder to my address book? Is that an option you can turn on or off for a profile in Exchange Server? Thanks!! -- Remove 'spam' from email address to contact me directly Right click on your Contacts folder, go to properties, outlook address book. Can you tick the box there? If not, go to tools, e-mail accounts, view/change address books, and make sure you have the Outlook Address Book option there. Then try right-clicking...

Public folder issue, "messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
I'm running a SBS2003 domain and just added a public folder and a customized form for entry into the public folder. All of our clients (all XP Pro, Outlook 2003 with all updates) can get to that folder and use the form without any difficulty except for one. On one computer I get the classic "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." error message. I have tried a repair install, no change. I have tried making a new profile, no change. I have tried adding / removing his PST file (currently he's not even using a pst file...

Activities/Journaling for Public Folder Contacts
I've created a company contacts folder in the Public Folders on Exchange 2k3. I've also created a journal folder in the public folders. I can set the contact folder to search the journal folder when I hit the activities tab, but I can't figure out how to make new journal entries go into the public folder journal instead of my mailbox journal. How do I do this? ...

I need help restoring Public Folders
Hi I've been having issues getting Public Folder replication going between 2 Exchange 2003 servers. Prior to doing any work I performed a Backup using Veritas Backup Exec and this completed and verified correctly. I screwed things up and managed to delete some of the public folders on my original server. I'm not 100% sure what I did but it is a mess and the only backup I have is the Exchange backup I created before doing any work. The public folders contain a number of Contact Lists and a very important Event Calendar. I have restored the public folders but when the restore c...

Outlook 2007 - Exchange 2003
I just upgraded my desktop to Office 2007 - Removing the older Office2000. Our Network is all 2003 Servers & Exchange. My Destop is XP SP3 In OL2007 I cannot see/find any of the exisitng public shared calendars that I could see/access in OL2000. I can see them when I'm in Webmail and desktops still running Office 2000 can see the public calendars. Any help is appreciated. Thanks John Which navigation pane are you in? Press Ctrl+6 to see the folder list. BTW, Did you keep the old Outlook 2000 profile? We recommend new profiles when upgrading from older versions. ...

Personal Folder Error when opening Outook 2002
When opening Outlook 2002, I receive the message that the Personal folder was not closed properly and needs to be checked. I allow the check to run, and all is fine. But this error message reappears after I close and reopen Outlook. Please Reply. thanks. ...

Saving MY Calendar into "Publication-Calendar"
My problem is that I have to make a certain type of calendar in every month. It would save lots of time forme if I could find a way that I could save my "calendar setting" and also be able to apply the new month's settings. There is any way that I could save my "home-made" calendar into "Publications-Calendar" and call it up just like the other calendars? Thanks. If you have repeating items you just use the Merge for those items every month. -- "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!" I do not understand ho...

ComboBox with AutoCompleteMode = SuggestAppend and custom search (Contains)?
Hi, I have a class FlightStation with a Search property that combines two attributes. I like to search not only for matching strings from the beginning, but rather from any where in the string. (With the Contains method or the string class) What is the best and quickest solution to implement such a search when using a combobox and not a TextBox for the input? I know about implementing a derived class like this: class FlightStationBindingList : BindingList<FlightStation> { // ... } But is there a more quick and dirty solution ?! - Sorry :-) My solution with the Tex...

rescuing public contacts
If exchange server is down is there a way of recovering the public contact list? no...if it's a contacts folder in Public folders (or in a mailbox), it cannot be accessed if the store is dismounted/down...unless you invest in something like Ontrack's PowerControls... "mando" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2104201c45a11$a7f87b80$a101280a@phx.gbl... > If exchange server is down is there a way of recovering > the public contact list? ...

Deleted calendar from Public Folders
Accidentally I deleted Calendar in Public Folders on the Exchange 2000. Is there a way to bring it back? I tried to locate an article in Knowlege Base searching with "Recovering deleted items from a public folder", but the article is gone. On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:28:01 -0700, Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Accidentally I deleted Calendar in Public Folders on the Exchange 2000. Is >there a way to bring it back? >I tried to locate an article in Knowlege Base searching with "Recovering >deleted items from a public folder", but the a...

You cannot copy or move messages to public folders
I have a few users who get the following error when trying to move messages from their inbox into a public folder - "Can't move the items. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator" I have found the following on microsofts website and have made those changes but it has not solved the issue http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330752 has anyone seen this before? I have also downloaded outspy and run this on messages that have failed and on messages that are ok. However im not really su...

text box email publication
I am a publisher novice. I am trying to develop an e-mail newletter. The templates in publisher have a text box under each article with what appears to be a hyperlink with "more details". I assume this will enable the reader of the email to expand the text box and see the full details of the article. I like this feature as it means that readers only get to see the title and abstract and then can select the articles they want to read in full. Unfortunately I can not work out how to use this function and as usual help is no help. Tim no such feature in Publisher. "kiwi ti...

Public Folder Replication #19
I have 3 exchange 2003 servers. Server A is in Site A. Server B and B-1 are in site B. B-1 is a new load of exchange 2003 and I plan on moving all the mail boxes from B to B-1 but first I must set up the public folders which all have a home on server A and have been replicated to B. I went into the esm and added B-1 as a replica for all the folders that had a replica to B. Later that day I checked and the folder hiarchy had replicated onto B-1 but all the folders are empty. Are these folders going to update and fill with the public folder data or do I need to force this? I tried the send conte...

Error Message using Personal Folders Back-up
I recently downloaded and installed the Personal Folders Back-Up program into my Outlook 2000. I have it set to back up my Personal folder to a Zip drive when I exit Outlook. When the I exit the program I keep getting the following message "Cannot copy outlook: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file." What do I need to do to get this to work properly? I would like to be able to back up my Personal folder without exporting each subfolder to the zip drive individually. I also tried backing up to other locations with the sam...

How many Personal Folders
How many personal folders can you create/open in Outlook 2003? We have a couple users that have created dozens of personal folders. I know there's a limit to the file size of a personal folder (around 100MB or bigger it can corrupt easier). I was wondering if there's a limit to the number of .PST files Outlook can have open and displayed. ...

Folders open when receiving mail
I have sub-folders within folders in my email Folders List. If I close all the main folders, and then receive new email; there is a way to have a main folder open up and show it's sub-folders with the sub-folder that contains the new email bolded. My old PC with Outlook 2000 used to do this, my new PC with Outlook 2002 doesn't. Does anyone know how to set this up? Thanks. ...

Schedule+ Free Busy System Folders "Access Denied"
Have you guys seen issues where full exchange administrators are unable to delete empty schedule+ free busy folders from system manager....they are constantly prompted for authentication I'm working on an Exchange 2003 SP2 site consolidation and migration from 10 exchange 5.5 sites to 2 Exchange 2003 Admin Groups...using the site consolidation features, the free busy folders from the consolidated sites remain in the Org, but they have empty replica lists due to the consolidated mailboxes now have new legacyexchangedn and use just the two admin groups free busy folders. So, I have ...

New Folder
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel How do I open a new folder to organize my documents? The document list in Word2008 for Mac is not like Word I've used before. Your description is very minimal at best, so I assume you are talking about the Save dialogue, and the fact that you cannot see all the folders in this dialogue, but merely a dropdown list with the most recently used folders. Click on the blue square next to the field in which you enter the document name, with the tiny triangle that is pointing down, and the dialogue will ...

Search Option
I have a form that contains a subform with several fields of information. I'm looking for a code that allows me to enter any type of information on the main form and have the subform search and apply a filter. Can anyone help or atleast direct me in the right direction? See: Search form - Handle many optional criteria at: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.micro...

Files in Temp Folder
Dear NG: Windows XP Pro Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236 : Service Pack 3) Internet Explorer Version: 8.0.6001.18702 Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1593.0 AVG free 8.5.339 Money Version: 17.0.120.1415 No Spybot, No Ad-Aware Recently I've noticed many files in my "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp" folder. Most of them appear to be Money related. For example, MNYxx.htm, and MNYxx.surfplace, where xx represents a number/letter combination. Is anyone else experiencing this? Thanks, -Kevin ...

users unable to open emails and public folder items
I have a problem with my exchange 2000 server (sp3 with post sp3 installed) No users are able to open mails or public folder items. All can send emails and emails send to us from external sites are not rejected. From some point yesterday no updates were made in users inboxes. when trying to open mails we get a 'Cannot open this item. Operation failed' error message. the message 'Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Server servername.' appears constantly. Our Priv.edb database is only arround 9 GB so it shouldn't have anything to do wit the si...