Rules won't work #2

My rules don't always work. Sometimes my emails go to a completely different
folder than where they are supposed to go and sometimes they stay in the
inbox. This happens about 75% of the time. Is there something I can do to
fix this?

--

Francine

0
me4400 (18)

Version of Outlook? Exact rule?

Make sure you've sorted and added the action "and stop processing rules"
accordingly.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

-----
"Francine" <me@mycomputer.com> wrote in message

> My rules don't always work. Sometimes my emails go to a completely
> different folder than where they are supposed to go and sometimes they
> stay in the inbox. This happens about 75% of the time. Is there something
> I can do to fix this?
>

> --
>
> Francine

0
Roady
10/29/2004 11:05:09 PM
Outlook 2003.
I have several rules to put email "from" people into specific folders. This
doesn't always happen though. Then I try to make a new rule and the rules
adds another identical  rule to my list but they don't always work either.
Some email wind up in other folders than where they're supposed to be.

What do you mean "sorted and added the action "and stop processing rules"?

Thank you Robert.

--

Francine

message news:%23hYICygvEHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Version of Outlook? Exact rule?
>
> Make sure you've sorted and added the action "and stop processing rules"
> accordingly.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> www.howto-outlook.com
>
> Tips of the month:
> -What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
> -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1
>
> -----
> "Francine" <me@mycomputer.com> wrote in message
>>
>> My rules don't always work. Sometimes my emails go to a completely
>> different folder than where they are supposed to go and sometimes they
>> stay in the inbox. This happens about 75% of the time. Is there something
>> I can do to fix this?
>>

>> --
>>
>> Francine

0
me4400 (18)
10/30/2004 12:57:45 AM
Uncheck all of your rules and then enable them one by one until you find the
one that does not behave as you have detailed it to work.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, Francine asked:

| My rules don't always work. Sometimes my emails go to a completely
| different folder than where they are supposed to go and sometimes
| they stay in the inbox. This happens about 75% of the time. Is there
| something I can do to fix this?

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
10/31/2004 5:26:40 PM
I have 98 rules! What do I do with the ones that don't behave the way they
should? I've tried deleting them and then remaking them, but still some of
them don't work. Some work sometimes and not other times. When a message is
sent to the wrong folder, I check the rule and the rule is correct, but the
program doesn't send it to the correct location.
This is frustrating, to say the least. Especially when I discover a message
a few days old in a folder where it isn't supposed to be.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate anything you have to suggest. I didn't
have this problem with Outlook 2000. I have not installed any updates since
I installed Office 2003. Do you think this might solve the problem or is
this something that often happens with Outlook?
--

Francine

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org>
wrote in message news:%23tSuK72vEHA.200@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Uncheck all of your rules and then enable them one by one until you find
> the
> one that does not behave as you have detailed it to work.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After furious head scratching, Francine asked:
>
> | My rules don't always work. Sometimes my emails go to a completely
> | different folder than where they are supposed to go and sometimes
> | they stay in the inbox. This happens about 75% of the time. Is there
> | something I can do to fix this?

0
me4400 (18)
10/31/2004 6:23:49 PM
I have this problem too and it seems to occur when your e-mail is delivered
to a personal folder - I also have Office 2003 and the problem began after
installing the latest Service Pack and the new Junk E- Mail patch. If I
click on "Send/Receive All" after the messages arrive they then get sent to
their respective folders. Despite numerous postings I am no nearer
understanding why this happens.

>I have 98 rules! What do I do with the ones that don't behave the way they
>should? I've tried deleting them and then remaking them, but still some of
>them don't work. Some work sometimes and not other times. When a message is
>sent to the wrong folder, I check the rule and the rule is correct, but the
>program doesn't send it to the correct location.
> This is frustrating, to say the least. Especially when I discover a
> message a few days old in a folder where it isn't supposed to be.
>
> Thank you for your help. I appreciate anything you have to suggest. I
> didn't have this problem with Outlook 2000. I have not installed any
> updates since I installed Office 2003. Do you think this might solve the
> problem or is this something that often happens with Outlook?
> --
>
> Francine
>

> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
> <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org> wrote in message
>> Uncheck all of your rules and then enable them one by one until you find
>> the
>> one that does not behave as you have detailed it to work.
>>
>> --�
>> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
>> the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal
>> account will be deleted without reading.
>>
>> After furious head scratching, Francine asked:
>>
>> | My rules don't always work. Sometimes my emails go to a completely
>> | different folder than where they are supposed to go and sometimes
>> | they stay in the inbox. This happens about 75% of the time. Is there
>> | something I can do to fix this?

I didn't uncheck the rules, however I just received an email that was put
into 2 different folders. The rule said to put it into one specific folder,
which it did do, however it was also put into another folder. Also, I
received an email that had a rule to put it into a special folder but it
remained in my inbox. What else do you suggest?

--

Francine

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org>
wrote in message news:%23tSuK72vEHA.200@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Uncheck all of your rules and then enable them one by one until you find
> the
> one that does not behave as you have detailed it to work.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After furious head scratching, Francine asked:
>
> | My rules don't always work. Sometimes my emails go to a completely
> | different folder than where they are supposed to go and sometimes
> | they stay in the inbox. This happens about 75% of the time. Is there
> | something I can do to fix this?

0
me4400 (18)
11/5/2004 5:53:00 PM
Francine <me@mycomputer.com> wrote:

> I didn't uncheck the rules, however I just received an email that was
> put into 2 different folders. The rule said to put it into one
> specific folder, which it did do, however it was also put into
> another folder.

Usually a symptom of not having the "stop processing more rules" action.
--
Brian Tillman
0

--

Francine

> Francine <me@mycomputer.com> wrote:
>
>> I didn't uncheck the rules, however I just received an email that was
>> put into 2 different folders. The rule said to put it into one
>> specific folder, which it did do, however it was also put into
>> another folder.
>
> Usually a symptom of not having the "stop processing more rules" action.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
me4400 (18)
11/6/2004 7:17:30 PM
I just discovered where to check this option. If I do check it, what will
happen when other messages arrive that have their own rules? This is a bit
confusing to me.

--

Francine

> How do I change this?
>
> --
>
> Francine
>

> "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Francine <me@mycomputer.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't uncheck the rules, however I just received an email that was
>>> put into 2 different folders. The rule said to put it into one
>>> specific folder, which it did do, however it was also put into
>>> another folder.
>>
>> Usually a symptom of not having the "stop processing more rules" action.
>> --
>> Brian Tillman

0
me4400 (18)
11/6/2004 11:47:10 PM
Francine <me@mycomputer.com> wrote:

> I just discovered where to check this option. If I do check it, what
> will happen when other messages arrive that have their own rules?
> This is a bit confusing to me.

If you don't have the "stop process" action, then, after a rule matches a
message and acts on it, the message will eb checked to see if it also
matches other rules, which may also act on the message, causing, among other
things, duplicate messages in multiple folders, just like you saw.  The
"stop processing" action means that only one rule will be applied to a
message.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/8/2004 1:47:45 PM
Thank you for explaining Brian. I'll go check that off on all my rules and
see if that helps. If not, I'll be back. <G>

--

Francine

> Francine <me@mycomputer.com> wrote:
>
>> I just discovered where to check this option. If I do check it, what
>> will happen when other messages arrive that have their own rules?
>> This is a bit confusing to me.
>
> If you don't have the "stop process" action, then, after a rule matches a
> message and acts on it, the message will eb checked to see if it also
> matches other rules, which may also act on the message, causing, among
> other things, duplicate messages in multiple folders, just like you saw.
> The "stop processing" action means that only one rule will be applied to a
> message.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
me4400 (18)

VB Macro #2

VCR to DVD Part 2

making filtering rules?
hi, i am trying to create a rule that goes something like if (site1.com OR site2.org OR site3.gov) AND (agri OR agriculture OR agribusiness) then move to folder X that is, if it is from any of those sites AND has any of those keywords then move it. The problem is i can't seem to figure out the specifying the AND part. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Cheers -Gaiko ...

Data migration - Adventure Works

set print area #2

OEM publisher 2002 Sp1-2

Outlook 2003 rules question again

How can I print on 8 1/2"x17" paper?

Money Updates #2

Can't create the item #2

Rule Wizard: "Rules In Error"
I have a blackberry, and I have my outlook forwarding emails to it, but about once a day, I get a message that says "Rules in Error: Error in Rule Execution" and it won't forward any emails after that. I only have one single rule, so it's not a rule conflict. Does anyone know the deal? This is extremely frustrating as sometimes I'll be out of the office during the weekend or at night and won't receive any message for hours on my blackberry, only to find out later that this "Rules in Error" dialog box popped up and it won't forward emails. It see...

Bank One Download is not working

IMAP address on exchange sever #2

help #2

Application icon #2
Hello, all, Have a strange problem. I recently used the tool ResOrg to renumber the resource IDs in a project where there were hundreds of duplicates. This fixed a list of bugs, which is why I did it. The other programmers found three problems after this. One was trivial to fix, a second was actually a problem in the code that renumbering the resouce IDs uncovered and was also easily fixed. The third one is weird though. Renumbering the resources messed up the application icon. I verified this by recompiling with the old resource.h file and the icon is correct. In the renumbere...

Backing Up Outlook #2
I have Windows XP Professional installed. Is there a simple and straight forward way to back up all my Outlook folders and address books to CD? Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "mel weston" <mel.weston@micronsecurity.com> wrote in message news:068d01c35018$e7f97b70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have...

Compact Now feature doesn;t seem to work...
I still have a 600+ MB in-box. ANyone know hwta might keep it from compacting? I did empty the trash. Compacting only works when there is a certain percentage of white space in the file (I think it's something like 4%)...if there isn't, Outlook doesn't think there's anything to compact. Also, if you leave Outlook open long enough, background compaction will be taking place. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:5feb01c474ce$23bb29d0...