rule for "Your Message " messages.

Is it possible to make a rule to move the "Your Message "
that is generated when your message is read  to another folder.

Outlook 2003 XPSp2.

John G .

0
green1 (38)

> Is it possible to make a rule to move the "Your Message " that is
> generated when your message is read  to another folder.
>
> Outlook 2003 XPSp2.

Are you talking about read receipts?

--
-f.h.

0
f.h.muffman (751)
4/9/2008 3:08:28 AM
you could but tracking on the sent item may not be updated.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **

"John G" <green@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Is it possible to make a rule to move the "Your Message "
> that is generated when your message is read  to another folder.
>
> Outlook 2003 XPSp2.
>
> John G .

0
outlookmvp1 (464)
4/9/2008 3:28:59 AM
"F.H. Muffman" <f.h.muffman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to make a rule to move the "Your Message " that is
>> generated when your message is read  to another folder.
>>
>> Outlook 2003 XPSp2.
>
> Are you talking about read receipts?
>
> --
> -f.h.

Yes and do you think I could think of the proper name when I wrote the
message.

John G.

0
green1 (38)
4/9/2008 4:27:56 AM
Pray tell ! How.

And if the message has been recived what tracking is there that I could not
do by looking in the folder where I would like a rule to put them all.

John G.

"Diane Poremsky {MVP}" <outlookmvp@msn.net> wrote in message
> you could but tracking on the sent item may not be updated.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> ** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
> when requesting assistance **
>

> "John G" <green@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to make a rule to move the "Your Message "
>> that is generated when your message is read  to another folder.
>>
>> Outlook 2003 XPSp2.
>>
>> John G .

0
green1 (38)
4/9/2008 4:29:51 AM
John G wrote:

> Pray tell ! How.
>
> And if the message has been recived what tracking is there that I could not
> do by looking in the folder where I would like a rule to put them all.

What happens when you define a rule to handle those e-mails that are
read receipts that you requested the recipient to send back to you?

The read receipt *request* is a header that gets added to your outbound
e-mail.  The recipient's e-mail client has to recognize the header and
then send back a new e-mail as the read reciept.  While the header is
well defined, what comprises a read receipt e-mail sent back to you is
not.  The recipient can send anything back they want as the read
receipt.  Normally the user gets stuck with whatever their e-mail
program hardcoded to send back as the new e-mail for the read receipt
but that doesn't eliminate users that can use scripting to manufacture
their own read receipt e-mails and obviously different e-mail programs
may compose a different new e-mail as their read receipt that they send
back to you.  So you end up creating a rule in which you will have to OR
several strings as you continue receiving back the read receipts to
handle whatever they choose to send back to you.  There isn't a standard
header that they can add to their new e-mail that identifies that it is
an acknowlegement to your request (for a read receipt).

Since many anti-spam programs can strip out the read receipt header from
inbound e-mails, and since most users soon disable read receipts after
getting the first few, using read receipts is mostly a waste of time
unless you are in a closed environment where you can force all
recipients to keep read receipts enabled, like in a company where its
policy dictates that read receipts will be honored for company e-mail;
however, it is likely that they strip out the read receipt header for
inbound e-mails that come from the outside since they don't want their
employees sending them outside the company.
0
V4521 (722)
4/9/2008 6:04:23 AM
when a read receipt is requested, the sent item updates with read/unread
information contained in the receipt. You just need to look at the sent item
to see if the recipient read it, not browse a folder looking for the
matching receipt as moving these message will not allow the sent item to
update.

what rules have you tried so far?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

> Pray tell ! How.
>
> And if the message has been recived what tracking is there that I could
> not do by looking in the folder where I would like a rule to put them all.
>
> John G.
>
> "Diane Poremsky {MVP}" <outlookmvp@msn.net> wrote in message
>> you could but tracking on the sent item may not be updated.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> ** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
>> when requesting assistance **
>>

>> "John G" <green@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Is it possible to make a rule to move the "Your Message "
>>> that is generated when your message is read  to another folder.
>>>
>>> Outlook 2003 XPSp2.
>>>
>>> John G .

0
outlookmvp (5838)
4/9/2008 12:31:34 PM
VanguardLH wrote:

> John G wrote:
>
>> Pray tell ! How.
>>
>> And if the message has been recived what tracking is there that I could not
>> do by looking in the folder where I would like a rule to put them all.
>
> What happens when you define a rule to handle those e-mails that are
> read receipts that you requested the recipient to send back to you?
>
> The read receipt *request* is a header that gets added to your outbound
> e-mail.  The recipient's e-mail client has to recognize the header and
> then send back a new e-mail as the read reciept.  While the header is
> well defined, what comprises a read receipt e-mail sent back to you is
> not.  ...

Well, I was correct on the first point that the MDN (message disposition
notification) request is enacted by adding a header, which is the
"Disposition-Notification-To" header.  However, I was wrong in that
there is no standard on the content of the reply (well, there isn't
regarding the content but there regarding headers defining that
content).  RFC 2298 (ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2298.txt)
describes MDNs.  While a header is used to ask for the reply (read
receipt), a header is used but not specifically as the read receipt
itself.  Instead a MIME header is added that defines the MIME part in
the body of the email as the disposition report (read receipt).  That
is, the returned email has a MIME part in it that comprises the
notification (that you can read) but that MIME part includes headers
that identify there is that MIME part in the body, so indirectly there
are headers on which you can test if an e-mail is a read receipt.

When I send an email with a read receipt, the following header gets
added to that outbound e-mail:

Disposition-Notification-To: "myName" <myEmailAddress>

When I receive that email and elect to send a read receipt, a new email
gets composed and sent that has the following in the header and body
sections:

Header section:

Body section (in MIME part's headers):

Since the MIME content is adequately defined in the headers, there is no
reason to include testing the body section for the "Content-Type:
message/disposition-notification" string.  Besides, the content of that
MIME part is at the whim of the sender's e-mail program (although that
line must still appear to define that MIME part's type).  Just define a
rule that looks in the message headers for BOTH the "Content-Type:
multipart/report;" and "report-type=disposition-notification;" lines.
So the rule in Outlook might look something like:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
with 'Content-Type: message/disposition-notification' in the body
  and with 'report-type=disposition-notification' in the message header
<whatever action clause(s) you want to commit on that message>
<recommended 'stop processing more rules' clause>

Testing on just the "report-type" header line is probably sufficient (so
you could delete testing for the string in the body of the message).

I haven't bothered with using or sending read receipts in m-a-n-y years.
In fact, my anti-spam program will strip out the read receipt headers so
I never have to bother with them in case I forget to configure my e-mail
client to NEVER send read receipts.  I had to disable that filtering to
do the testing above.  I thought Outlook would get the receipt e-mail
and then update its message store (a database) to record that a read
receipt was delivered and that status change was on the record for the
original message that you sent that requested the receipt.  In other
words, once the receipt got accepted by your Outlook client, it wasn't
needed anymore because the status of the original message sent out got
updated.  However, as I recall, you had to actually open the read
receipt e-mail to read it which then got the record updated for the
original message to have its status updated to reflect that you got a
read receipt for it.  There is some chance, probably good, that if you
move them out of the Inbox that reading them in another folder will not
get Outlook to update the status for the original e-mail.  If you aren't
going to read those read receipts that YOU requested then why bother
requesting them?

I don't see why you even want to keep the read receipt e-mails after you
have read them.  If the status of the original e-mail gets updated, why
keep the fluff?
0
V4521 (722)
> [...]
> words, once the receipt got accepted by your Outlook client, it wasn't
> needed anymore because the status of the original message sent out got
> updated.  However, as I recall, you had to actually open the read
> receipt e-mail to read it which then got the record updated for the
> original message to have its status updated to reflect that you got a
> read receipt for it.  There is some chance, probably good, that if you
> move them out of the Inbox that reading them in another folder will not
> get Outlook to update the status for the original e-mail.  If you aren't
> going to read those read receipts that YOU requested then why bother
> requesting them?
>
> I don't see why you even want to keep the read receipt e-mails after you
> have read them.  If the status of the original e-mail gets updated, why

Thank you for your informative reply that will take me a while to absorb.

I only asked this question because I tried to make a rule and discovered the
Create a Rule Icon is greyed out for Read Receipts and some other Message
types.

I have tried to find the definition of the various Icons in the Icon column
but have been unsuccessful and it does not seem that it can be changed to
text..

How can you tell if the Status of the original msg was updated? or is that
the little   I   in the Icon of the original message.

John G.

0
green1 (38)
> when a read receipt is requested, the sent item updates with read/unread
> information contained in the receipt. You just need to look at the sent
> item to see if the recipient read it, not browse a folder looking for the
> matching receipt as moving these message will not allow the sent item to
> update.
>
> what rules have you tried so far?

I only asked this question because I tried to make a rule and discovered the
Create a Rule Icon is greyed out for Read Receipts and some other Message
types.

I have tried to find the definition of the various Icons in the Icon column
but have been unsuccessful and it does not seem that it can be changed to
text..

How can you tell if the Status of the original msg was updated? or is that
the little   I   in the Icon of the original message.

John G.

0
green1 (38)
4/10/2008 12:03:51 AM
That's only for the automatic creation - copy the subject and make a rule
based on the subject.

--

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> when a read receipt is requested, the sent item updates with read/unread
>> information contained in the receipt. You just need to look at the sent
>> item to see if the recipient read it, not browse a folder looking for the
>> matching receipt as moving these message will not allow the sent item to
>> update.
>>
>> what rules have you tried so far?
>>

> I only asked this question because I tried to make a rule and discovered
> the Create a Rule Icon is greyed out for Read Receipts and some other
> Message types.
>
> I have tried to find the definition of the various Icons in the Icon
> column but have been unsuccessful and it does not seem that it can be
> changed to text..
>
> How can you tell if the Status of the original msg was updated? or is that
> the little   I   in the Icon of the original message.
>
> John G.

0
outlookmvp1 (464)
4/10/2008 1:01:32 AM
Thanks.. That works.
But why does the Rule Icon not work?

> That's only for the automatic creation - copy the subject and make a rule
> based on the subject.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> ** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
> when requesting assistance **
>

> "John G" <green@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> when a read receipt is requested, the sent item updates with read/unread
>>> information contained in the receipt. You just need to look at the sent
>>> item to see if the recipient read it, not browse a folder looking for
>>> the matching receipt as moving these message will not allow the sent
>>> item to update.
>>>
>>> what rules have you tried so far?
>>>

>> I only asked this question because I tried to make a rule and discovered
>> the Create a Rule Icon is greyed out for Read Receipts and some other
>> Message types.
>>
>> I have tried to find the definition of the various Icons in the Icon
>> column but have been unsuccessful and it does not seem that it can be
>> changed to text..
>>
>> How can you tell if the Status of the original msg was updated? or is
>> that the little   I   in the Icon of the original message.
>>
>> John G.

0
green1 (38)
4/10/2008 2:11:11 AM
I have no idea - I'm guessing because the receipt is a special message that
needs to remain in the inbox to process. Or because its an administrator
message. Or something like that. :)

--

> Thanks.. That works.
> But why does the Rule Icon not work?
>
> John G.
>
> "Diane Poremsky {MVP}" <outlookmvp@msn.net> wrote in message
>> That's only for the automatic creation - copy the subject and make a rule
>> based on the subject.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> ** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
>> when requesting assistance **
>>

>> "John G" <green@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message

>>> I only asked this question because I tried to make a rule and discovered
>>> the Create a Rule Icon is greyed out for Read Receipts and some other
>>> Message types.
>>>
>>> I have tried to find the definition of the various Icons in the Icon
>>> column but have been unsuccessful and it does not seem that it can be
>>> changed to text..
>>>
>>> How can you tell if the Status of the original msg was updated? or is
>>> that the little   I   in the Icon of the original message.
>>>
>>> John G.

0
outlookmvp1 (464)
4/10/2008 2:41:13 AM
John G wrote:

> How can you tell if the Status of the original msg was updated? or is that
> the little   I   in the Icon of the original message.

As I mentioned, I haven't bothered sending read receipts for years and
have do not sent read receipts myself.  Only once did I have to enable
them at a company that I worked at sometime around 8 years ago.  My
recollection is that when you view the item in the Sent Items folder (or
wherever it got stored depending on your Outlook configuration), there
was a yellow infobar, header, or something added to the sent copy of the
message that informed you that the status of that item had been updated
to reflect that a read receipt had been received.

When you look at an item in your Sent Items folder for which you have
received (and viewed) a read receipt, there isn't any information
displayed along with that sent item to indicate that it got the read
receipt that you requested and received?

If just an icon is displayed, some of them are described at:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/icons.htm

There is one there described as "Message Holds (Receipts) Information
Tab".  Do you see that icon?  If so, apparently there is supposed to be
a tab added to the message to show the read receipt information.
0
V4521 (722)

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. #4
We have an exchange 5.5 server running on NT4 SP6 server. The exchange server has been configured to deal with internal email only. IMC has not been installed or setup. Instead we have added a POP3 account for all users Outlook 2002 clients to send and recieve external email. However, over the past couple weeks users have been getting the following error message in thier inboxes: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Document2 Sent: 10/03/2005 1:06 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Firstname Lastname on 10...

Outlook 2003: Your message did not reach some or all of the
I'm having an odd problem with outgoing email in Outlook 2003. I just got a new laptop w/XP Pro and loaded the MS Office Standard Suite w/SP1. I also downloaded and installed Office SP3. I set up Outlook email w/all my POP3 settings and tested the settings in Outlook -- all fine. Incoming email is no problem. However for some outgoing emails, I get an immediate (and I mean instantaneous) bounce-back message that looks like the following: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Test Sent: 2/5/2010 12:13 PM The following recipien...

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients
I have recently installed Outlook 2007 but seem to have a problem. It receives but will not send emails. I received the following message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: FW: email Sent: 19/05/2010 11:15 am The following recipient(s) cannot be reached: Named person on 19/05/2010 11:15 am Invalid recipient I use the Contacts list to store and select names. Am running on XP SP3. I can still use Outlook Express for sending. "facilitym" <facilitym@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients
One of the users on the network gets the following message virtually every day via email in his inbox. What is this? He never attempted to send any email to "info@mahlerrealtyinc.com" How do I prevent this? From: System Administrator Sent: September 18, 2006 1:53 PM To: info@mahlerrealtyinc.com Subject: Undeliverable: Canadian online drugstore Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Canadian online drugstore Sent: 18/9/2006 2:08 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: info@mahlerrealtyinc.com o...

rule for "Your Message " messages.
Is it possible to make a rule to move the "Your Message " that is generated when your message is read to another folder. Outlook 2003 XPSp2. John G . > Is it possible to make a rule to move the "Your Message " that is > generated when your message is read to another folder. > > Outlook 2003 XPSp2. Are you talking about read receipts? -- -f.h. you could but tracking on the sent item may not be updated. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginne...

552 <FQDN>your message counts in one session of 198 exceeds maximum setting 20
Hello Folks, I get the error "552 <FQDN>your message counts in one session of 198 exceeds maximum setting 20" The original message was received at Mon, 2 May 2005 11:18:00 +0300 (AST) from ns1.piramide.nl [195.18.93.6] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <xxx@xxx.com> ----- Transcript of session follows ----- .... while talking to [192.151.106.72]: >>> DATA <<< 552 momserver.riyadh.afg.com: your message counts in one session of 33 exceeds maximum setting 20 554 <xxx@xxx.com>... Service unavailable Any insights?? It seem...

552 exchange: your message size exceeds maximum inbound size of 51
I have the following Problem: When a user wants to send an email with an attatchment bigger than 5MB via SMTP over the exchange server I get this error message back, sent by Sysadmin 552 exchange: your message size exceeds maximum inbound size of 5120 kilobytes I configured the message size for the smtp connector for 20MB, but I still get this message every time. When I send the same file through Exchange directly it works without any problems. forget it - i found the problem. It was the virus scanner... ...

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. #6
I got this error message today, I was wondering what's heppened and how to resolve it. See below is error message Subject: RE: FE3 locked Sent: 6/16/2006 11:22 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Michael on 6/16/2006 11:23 AM This message could not be sent. Try sending the message again later, or contact your network administrator. The client operation failed. Error is [0x80004005-0x0004b9-0x000501]. Raymond on 6/16/2006 11:23 AM This message could not be sent. Try sending the message again later, or contact your network adm...

your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients #2
Outlook 2002 has been working without issue for months. However I am now unable to send an email to any external mailbox (no problems with internal) from within Outlook. Receiving all mail OK from external sources. If I log into OWA I can send and receive without any problem. Returned email from system administrator account contains three information lines: 1)"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients."; 2) "None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient." ...

I am now getting this on all mail I send and I have no idea why. My ISP does not support MS Outlook but has determined its the problem. It has not been a problem in over 1 yr of use but this Sat. this started. Here what comes back instantaneously when I click send. I have looked all over for the answer but have yet o find anything to help. HELP! Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Destroyed Geodetic Marker SG0213 Sent: 11/17/2003 8:21 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'Deb.Brown@noaa.gov' on 11/1...

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. #2
I using Exchange 5.5 Sp The problem is i cannot send email to this only address but i can send to anyone without problem but other exchange server from other domain can send to this email without problem,somehow only my exchange server cannot sent to this person When i used this email adderss error message is below Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients Subject: tes Sent: 6/9/2004 11:48 A c=MY;a= ;p=ASTRO;o=AABC;dda:SMTP='muzaini@us.measat.com'; on 6/9/2004 11:49 A Unable to deliver the message due to a communications fa...

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. #3
I'm sending an e-mail to someone that I was able to e-mail up til yesterday. When I hit send, it takes 30 seconds and then it bounces back to me with the message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: testing Sent: 12/3/2004 11:36 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'test.testing@test.com' on 12/3/2004 11:36 AM The recipient name is not recognized The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=test;l=SERVER_CT_01-041203163546Z-562 I've tried sending it 5 times and I even tried a different computer on my network and it...

can receive but not send: cannot create file for your message 1003,11
Hi I was sending out some emails today (about 4) and opened one whilst mid send, which crashed everything. Now I can't send out - symantic message suggesting I switch off norton; followed by a plain refusal "this message could not be sent because it rejected you as the sender" Server response 550 relay not permitted" / "Server Response '452 4.3.0 cannot create file for your message (createUniqueMsgId failed with error 121) any suggestions - pretty desparate. thanks ...

Your message did not reach...
I'm using an Exchange 5.5 server with only 30 users on a single, flat network. A user within my Exchange organization rcv'd this error message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: Sent: 2/6/2004 12:36 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Theresa Hall on 2/6/2004 12:36 PM The recipient name is not recognized The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Washington Cable;l=WCSIBDC-040206173531Z-2402 MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:WCSI:WCSIBDC Why wouldn't this msg work? The use...

Hello, I am running old exchange 5.5 with SP1. We have been having trouble with spammers lately. I added a routing restriction which is as follows: "Hosts and clients that successfully authenticate" and that seems to have cleared up the spammers. However now a single user cannnot send emails to certain addresses. I tried to send an email myself to a domain in question (contact@fortmason.org) and received the same error message which is: "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients." I am at a loss not knowing old 5.5, or to be honest, MS Exc...

Outlook 2007
What does this cryptic message mean? I only sent it an hour ago. Have the receipt rules changed in OL2007? Beemer Beemer <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote: > What does this cryptic message mean? I only sent it an hour ago. > Have the receipt rules changed in OL2007? This usually means that you reqested a read receipt and the recipient deleted the message while it was unread. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eABybKFAIHA.4956@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Beemer <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote: ...

When using Outlook I get "Your message failed" 554 Tranaction
When I try to send certain e-mails (not all) I receive the message "Your message did not reach the intended recipient" " 554 Transaction failed" This message pops=up immediately. Please help. Are you sending via the same SMTP server as the ISP you are using? That type of message usually indicates you are trying to relay through another ISP SMTP server. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scrat...

Your message was deleted without being read.
This option was available with exchange 5.5 and earlier outlook clients. Today, we are running exchange 2003 ee server along with outlook 2002 clients. Is there any way to tell if a global message is being deleted by users without being read without turing on the "read receipt" in tracking options? All I want to do is tell which users are deleting the messages internally. Thanks. mike No. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx &qu...

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. #5
hi, Some of emails only we are getting the below message, i don't understand why it is validate 'http://spamblock.outblaze.com/85.129.193.233' ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <inkdomain.ipcldom.local #5.5.0 smtp;553 Message from 85.129.193.233 rejected - see http://spamblock.outblaze.com/85.129.193.233> -- Mohammed Idris Ink Products Co. Ltd System Administrator Riyadh K.S.A You are missin...