Rule causing Outlook to stop responding

Client machine W2K, Office XP Pro SP 2
I am using Outlook for Pop3 mail. I have reinstalled W2K and Office XP due
to this problem occurring. I have a new .pst file from the install and I had
run the scanpst.exe on the old installation with no change in my results. It
seemed to start after installing Office SP3 which is why I only install SP2
at this point. I have created and now deleted another rule that simply moves
email from another address to a folder and it worked fine. I recreated the
following rule:

Apply this rule after the message arrives from abc@foo.bar and permanently
delete it and stop processing more rules

I get mixed results. Sometimes Outlook stops responding and I have to do a
manual shut down of the program, sometimes the rule does nothing and
sometimes I get a "Rules Error" message telling me I don't have permission
to run this rule. This causes the rule to become unchecked in the rules
wizard. I am the only user on this machine and my account is set as an
Administrator account. I am connected to a W2K server that does NOT use
Exchange and has no email setup on it at all.

I've posted this again as I seem to have lost any indication of my thread
since my reinstallation. Any help would be most appreciated.

TIA

Duff

0
Duff

If you have Antivirus software running , stop it and then observe.

"Duff" <duff515athotmail.com> wrote in message
> Client machine W2K, Office XP Pro SP 2
> I am using Outlook for Pop3 mail. I have reinstalled W2K and Office XP due
> to this problem occurring. I have a new .pst file from the install and I
had
> run the scanpst.exe on the old installation with no change in my results.
It
> seemed to start after installing Office SP3 which is why I only install
SP2
> at this point. I have created and now deleted another rule that simply
moves
> email from another address to a folder and it worked fine. I recreated the
> following rule:
>
> Apply this rule after the message arrives from abc@foo.bar and permanently
> delete it and stop processing more rules
>
> I get mixed results. Sometimes Outlook stops responding and I have to do a
> manual shut down of the program, sometimes the rule does nothing and
> sometimes I get a "Rules Error" message telling me I don't have permission
> to run this rule. This causes the rule to become unchecked in the rules
> wizard. I am the only user on this machine and my account is set as an
> Administrator account. I am connected to a W2K server that does NOT use
> Exchange and has no email setup on it at all.
>
> I've posted this again as I seem to have lost any indication of my thread
> since my reinstallation. Any help would be most appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Duff

0
SunilPinto (20)
7/11/2004 9:11:28 AM
I have disabled my anti-virus software and also created a test rule using my
own email address. I have the same results. If I just delete an email with
the rule it works fine. It is only when I "permanently delete" the email
that Outlook locks up. I also created a couple rules to check the "move to
folder" and those rules work fine as well. Any other suggestions would be
great!

TIA

Duff
"Sunil Pinto" <SunilPinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you have Antivirus software running , stop it and then observe.
>
> "Duff" <duff515athotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Client machine W2K, Office XP Pro SP 2
> > I am using Outlook for Pop3 mail. I have reinstalled W2K and Office XP
due
> > to this problem occurring. I have a new .pst file from the install and I
> had
> > run the scanpst.exe on the old installation with no change in my
results.
> It
> > seemed to start after installing Office SP3 which is why I only install
> SP2
> > at this point. I have created and now deleted another rule that simply
> moves
> > email from another address to a folder and it worked fine. I recreated
the
> > following rule:
> >
> > Apply this rule after the message arrives from abc@foo.bar and
permanently
> > delete it and stop processing more rules
> >
> > I get mixed results. Sometimes Outlook stops responding and I have to do
> > manual shut down of the program, sometimes the rule does nothing and
> > sometimes I get a "Rules Error" message telling me I don't have
permission
> > to run this rule. This causes the rule to become unchecked in the rules
> > wizard. I am the only user on this machine and my account is set as an
> > Administrator account. I am connected to a W2K server that does NOT use
> > Exchange and has no email setup on it at all.
> >
> > I've posted this again as I seem to have lost any indication of my
thread
> > since my reinstallation. Any help would be most appreciated.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Duff

0
Duff

how do I stop messages from being deleted in comcast mail when
how do you stop messages from being deleted in comcast webmail after you go into outlook express Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com Hint->Tools->Accounts->Properties->Advanced. Do the obvious. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsol...

Use Copied Outlook PST file as default...How?
If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from one computer to another. Dmahanay <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my > Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Outlook version? > Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from > one computer to another. I think views are registry items and not kept in the PST. -- Brian Tillman My outlook version is 2002. >--...

Install and set up the Microsoft Office Project Add-in for Outlook
The language used by the add-in must match the language used by Outlook. For example, if Outlook uses Japanese, the add-in must also use Japanese,and If the languages do not match, the add-in will not work. How can I download Japanese add-in for Japanese outlook for Microsoft project server 2007 that installed in Engilish? Have you tried the Project Language Pack 2007 SP1? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=d322ba67-b199-4503-8aff-6813b320d708 HTH "Bahram" <Bahram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Create rule to run script
I have a vb script that when run takes the attachment on an e-mail and places it in a folder. Is there any way to setup a rule in outlook that when an e-mail is received from a certain person or address, to automatically run this script to place the attachment in the specified folder? Thanks in advance what version? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outl...

Outlook 2002 and Retrieving Data Error Message
OS is Windows XP SP1 Email - Outlook 2002 SP3 Error Message: Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server <server name>. You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Other Related Issues: At times, the message displays the correct server name and sometime it does not. At times, it displays the name of an active directory server. This only happens to workstations located in an remote office connecting to the exchange server via ADSL\VPN connection. We have one exchange 2003 server - public...

how do i create a local client rule for outlook 2003
hello has anyone ever been able to create a local client rule for outlook 2003? exchange 2003? I can create the rule to send it to a PST (i dont know whether this can be done) then when i run the rule it says there is an error with the rule and it turns red. Does anyone have the steps for how to get this to work? Thanks A does the pst exist and is it in your profile? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: htt...

Cannot Start Outlook #2
I have just run the auomatic windows update on my local PC and now Outlook 2000 will not start. It just hangs at the splash screen. Outlook is configured to connect to Exchange. Other PCs on the same Lan which have not been updated can still connect. The updates installed were 824141, 823182, 826232, 825119, 828035, 828749. I have unistalled all of these updates and Outlook still will not start. Any ideas? Does it start if you run this command from the command line, go to Start > Run > type "outlook /safe" without the quotes but with the space before the Forward slash &...

how can I move the e-mail accounts from outlook 2002 to an other computer
how can I move the e-mail accunts from outlook 2002 to an other computer same program?? ...

Outlook 2007 add-on
Hello everybody! Wonder is there any outlook 2007 add-on that can show related email messages (even if exchanged between 2, 3 or more persons), based on the similarity of emails' contents? I know Outlook 2007 has the option to arrange columns per "conversation" but if 2 messages have same content with different subjects, they are not included in the "conversation" display.. Any ideas here? Thanks in advance! Steve Tried Xobni? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal ...

Outlook will not send my email any more
Outlook will only receive email, it has stopped sending. initially it was having an smtp error, now it is not even attempting to send the email. On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:33:02 -0800, jared wrote: > Outlook will only receive email, it has stopped sending. initially it was > having an smtp error, now it is not even attempting to send the email. What version of Outlook? Do you get any error messages when you try to send? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights Hi Jeff... It is Outlook 2000 SP-3. The...

HELP- error Outlook
What's this mean and how to fix? in error dialogue box: "c:\program~1\micro~2 \office\outlook.exe" Abnormal program termination .. ...

Outlook 2003 with Word 2000 Editor
Does anyone know if you can use Word 2000 with Outlood 2003 to edit messages... I couldn't find a download on the web... If you are trying to use, inside of Outlook 2003, Word 2000 as the "editor" ... not possible. Need to use the same "family" together, e.g. Word 2003 with Outlook 2003, or Word 2000 with Outlook 2000. There is nothing to download. Hope this is useful to you. Let us know. rms Brendan Shaw wrote: > Does anyone know if you can use Word 2000 with Outlood > 2003 to edit messages... > > I couldn't find a download on the web... ...

CUSTOMIZING YOUR OUTLOOK TODAY
When you change the style of Outlook Today by customizing it (to summer or winter styles for example), then go to another screen such as Messages or Calendar, and then switch back to Outlook Today the style that appears is not the style that you customized it to be. How can I get it to stay that Style? Your Caps Lock is Broken "BRENT (Please Help)" <baolsen2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:071801c35ade$ffdc19c0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > When you change the style of Outlook Today by customizing > it (to summer or winter styles for example), then go to > another scr...

Outlook Connector Hangs or Chugs While Sending Mail
Just started running Outlook 2007 w/ Outlook Connector. Everything (I guess) "works", but whenever I send mail, Outlook hangs anywhere from 30 secs to a few minutes. And some of the time it slows down WinXP so much that I can't do anything until the mail is sent. Have tried disabling virus scan, firewall, and Windows Search. Very annoying and frustrating! Almost ready to switch from Live Mail because of this. Brian G;111299 Wrote: > Just started running Outlook 2007 w/ Outlook Connector. Everything (I > guess) > "works", but whenever I send ...

Rule info
TIA! Just migrated to outlook 2003 from 2000 (on a WinXP Pro machine). Is there a reference anywhere that explains what the various rule statements mean, or how to change the default boolean when linking the rule statements? I would love to make use of the new rules but am having difficulty interpreting their meaning. For instance, now there is a rule "sender is in 'specified' address book and on this machine only". The rule does not make sense if the address book is a subset of the GAL (All Users) which is not 'on this machine only'. Also, the rule I need shoul...

what causes the recently used file list option to be unavailable .
Tools / Options / Recently used file list is greyed out - How do I correct this ? John You don't say which version so try searching the knowledge base http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx With a search string of MRU Disabled in Excel -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "JohnPrice" <JohnPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECA43906-EC33-4B92-8580-39923E449B9C@microsoft.com... > Tools / Options / Recently used file list is greyed out - How do I correct > this ? Hi! So...

Email from Outlook using SharePoint
I have been able to sync a SharePoint library to my Outlook account. i can't seem to able to attach more than one SharePoint file to an email. Is this a system limitation or am I miossing something. ...

Outlook 2002 "MAPI unable to load..."
I recently began using Outlook 2002 when I needed to synch my PDA. For the first 4-5 weeks there were no real problems. LAst week I downloaded an add-in from Microsoft's Office area: Outlood Personal Folders Backup - But now when I start Outlook I get the message: "Unable to open your defaolt e-mail folders. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL." I have done REPAIR twice and then tried UNINSTALL/INSTALL. Nothing seems to help. Any ideas would be appreciated. If it is the add-in, how do I remove it?? OL2002: Error Message: MAPI Was Unable to ...

Stop delivery from an account
How would I keep a single email address from an outside domain from being delivered to someone inside our domain? An employee who is currently suspended has been communicating with someone inside our organization and I'm concerned what may go out. What version of Exchange? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Chris Hall" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OkKkTBAAGHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > How would I keep a single email address from an outside domain fr...

Howdo I stop code execution with the Cancel button?
Hi I have a procedure that takes a while and the user might want to hi cancel. How can I make the Cancel button replicate the cntrl brea event and unload the form? Cheers Gromi -- Gromi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Gromit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=92 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31469 ...

Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Ser
Hi I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail then gets stuck in my outbox. I still receive all email and this only happends over one particular broadband connection??? If i use dial up it works and if i go to some other broadband connection it works... any ideas? _VERITAS_ wrote: > Hi > I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from > the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail > then gets stuck in my outbox. I s...

Creating forwarding rule in Exchange
Exchange 2003 SP2 If I have user fee@domain.com receiving email at address fee@domain.com, is it possible to create a rule in Exchange that does this: All emails from user@outsidedomain.com that go to fee@domain.com should be forwarded to foo@domain.com If it is possible, and I do not have a domain user named foo, would I have to create one or simply create a contact in order for the mailbox to be created? 1. You need some recipient to have the email address fee@domain.com 2. No native facility to selectively forward mail from a particular smtp address only. You could either do it usi...

Out of Office Assiatance issues
Hi all, One of our users (UserA) is having issues receiving an Out of Office confirmation email when he emails a particular user (UserB). For test purposes I emailed this users (UserB) and received the out of office response. The UserA is able to receive other emails and there is no mailbox size restriction in place. What else can be done to investigate and resolve this issue. Version of Outlook the user is using is Microsoft Outlook 2002 ( 10.2627.2625 ) no Service Pack. "Leon" <ap76_at_email.com> wrote in message news:eRH1U3JdEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi a...

printing outlook contacts
only "table style" available when printing outlook 2000 sp- 3 (9.0.0.6627) contacts, any attempt to change either "page setup" or "define styles" crashes (blue screen) ibm thinkpad t23 ...

Lost attachments after upgrading Outlook
I found a solution to a problem that must surely be plaguing others: the loss of attachments when upgrading from an earlier version of Outlook to a later version (to Outlook 2000 SP1?). I'm not sure when I lost the attachments, but based on my web sleuthing it seems like it was a result of updating from 2000 to SP1. Anyway, since I couldn't find a solution on the web easily, I'm posting this in hopes that either the page will be indexed by Google or that Microsoft will post a formal fix in its Knowledgebase. Here's the solution: find Outlook Express on your compu...