Retrieving Personal Folders

A friend lost all her outlook information, including contacts and the
folders she had set up to sort her email.  I was able to restore the
contacts and the inbox email but cannot locate and restore the personal
folders and their contents.  When I asked her what happened she said "I
think I responded 'yes' to something when it asked me if I wanted to move my
folders."  :-)  Anyway, any help on how to find her missing folders and
import them to her Outlook program would be appreciated.  She is running
Outlook 2000 and WinXP (not sure if Pro or Home).  Thank you.

Your question is confusing. All Outlook data is in the same file. If you
found messages, how could you not have found Contacts? How did you find the
messages?

All Outlook data is in a Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the
mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Steve" <weavernospamlaw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> A friend lost all her outlook information, including contacts and the
> folders she had set up to sort her email.  I was able to restore the
> contacts and the inbox email but cannot locate and restore the personal
> folders and their contents.  When I asked her what happened she said "I
> think I responded 'yes' to something when it asked me if I wanted to move
my
> folders."  :-)  Anyway, any help on how to find her missing folders and
> import them to her Outlook program would be appreciated.  She is running
> Outlook 2000 and WinXP (not sure if Pro or Home).  Thank you.

0
russval (3097)
12/13/2003 1:45:24 PM
Thank you.  I did find the contacts.  I did not find the folders she created
for storing her email.  And as to why they did not reappear, I do not know.

> Your question is confusing. All Outlook data is in the same file. If you
> found messages, how could you not have found Contacts? How did you find
the
> messages?
>
> All Outlook data is in a Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the
> mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.
>
> Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup:
> http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Steve" <weavernospamlaw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > A friend lost all her outlook information, including contacts and the
> > folders she had set up to sort her email.  I was able to restore the
> > contacts and the inbox email but cannot locate and restore the personal
> > folders and their contents.  When I asked her what happened she said "I
> > think I responded 'yes' to something when it asked me if I wanted to
move
> my
> > folders."  :-)  Anyway, any help on how to find her missing folders and
> > import them to her Outlook program would be appreciated.  She is running
> > Outlook 2000 and WinXP (not sure if Pro or Home).  Thank you.

If you found the PST she was last using, all Contacts subfolders would have
been intact. Have you looked for other PST files? How did she create these
"folders?"
--
> Thank you.  I did find the contacts.  I did not find the folders she
created
> for storing her email.  And as to why they did not reappear, I do not
know.

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Your question is confusing. All Outlook data is in the same file. If you
> > found messages, how could you not have found Contacts? How did you find
> the
> > messages?
> >
> > All Outlook data is in a Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all
the
> > mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.
> >
> > Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup:
> > http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
> >
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Steve" <weavernospamlaw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > A friend lost all her outlook information, including contacts and the
> > > folders she had set up to sort her email.  I was able to restore the
> > > contacts and the inbox email but cannot locate and restore the
personal
> > > folders and their contents.  When I asked her what happened she said
"I
> > > think I responded 'yes' to something when it asked me if I wanted to
> move
> > my
> > > folders."  :-)  Anyway, any help on how to find her missing folders
and
> > > import them to her Outlook program would be appreciated.  She is
running
> > > Outlook 2000 and WinXP (not sure if Pro or Home).  Thank you.

0
russval (3097)

download email into individual folders
how do i get my email to download in individual folders. i hav 2 accounts set up and they both download into my inbox. i want to be sure that when i send email it has the right from address depending on which account i want it to show, (work) OR (personal)and I want it to download accordingly as well. Chris Piece of cake Chris. Follow this link and halfway into the article is Title section called 'Distinguishing among mail from differen accounts' They give you two options, I personally use the secon scenario http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2002/up020814.htm#multipop Warren:...

Exchange Public Folder error...
Hello, Everytime I try to open the Exchange Public Folders from the System Manager I get a message box that states: Exchange System Manager The requested operation is forbidden. ID no: c1030af1 Exchange System Manager OK (command button) I have looked at Technet articles 313721 and 325923, could some one help me out on this. I'm not sure what the problem is or how to fix it. Thanks in advance. P.S. This Exchange Server is part of a SBS 2000 installation. Jed Hi, Thank you for your post! As for this issue, please make sure the Default Web site where the Exchange virtual directo...

notification from public folder calendars
We have a few calendars in public folders that everyone in the company uses to schedule vehicles and meeting rooms. None of the calendars are mail enabled. I am wondering if I can set up some sort of notification on all of the calendars in public folders to email a group of people whenever something is scheduled or changed in any of the public calendars server is running the enterprise version of exchange 2003 with sp2 In news:uEQJ8GKwGHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, gene <noemailprovided@email.com> typed: > We have a few calendars in public folders that everyone in the > c...

Get special folder path
Hello, I'm developping an app with VC++ 6.0 and MFC, and I need to get the path of Windows special folders (in particular, folder "My Music", wherever the user may have moved it). I was told there is a possibility for apps running under Windows XP to get this information ? Does somebody know how ? Thank for any help -- Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews. Site : http://www.mesnews.net ByB wrote: > Hello, > > I'm developping an app with VC++ 6.0 and MFC, and I need to get the path > of Windows special folders (in particular, folder "My M...

5.5 Imported public folders into 2000
Hi Al I'm a fledgling sysadmin for Exchange and have inherited a problem, which doesn't affect operation but is driving me crazy My predecessors had upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 and it had gone horribly worng apparently, anyway the sytem is up and runnin gbut I have a problem with Public Folders There are two folders that need removing but none of the current users had permissions to control it. The only visible permissions are Everyone and Anonymous User with read access only When you try and view in System Manager, you get an Error "The object is no longer available. ...

Junk Email Folder Outlook 2003
Hi, I started sending spam to my junk email folder. Now all my email is going to junk email. Even Safe Senders go to Junk Email. Is there away to change it so everything don't go to Junk Email? Thanks John Yeah, double check your settings, make sure your contacts are NOT set to be sent to the junk mail folder... >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I started sending spam to my junk email folder. Now all >my email is going to junk email. Even Safe Senders go to >Junk Email. Is there away to change it so everything >don't go to Junk Email? > >...

Public folder contact-error viewing calendar activities
Hi. We have several Contacts folders under Public folders, with people's tasks and calendars set to link to the Activities in these folders. This works ok apart from one user's calendar. Tasks works fine but if you go to the contact, Activities tab, the following message is displayed: "Outlook cannot display this view. The contacts folder could not be found." The calendar link is in place, and the permission is set to Editor (as is the Tasks folder). Can anyone help please? Alison wrote: > Hi. We have several Contacts folders under Public folders, with > people&...

Given Unknown error when trying to view certain folders
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I can log in and run entourage.Error does not cause restart or crash, but cannot view contents of certain folders. On 12/14/09 12:57 PM, in article 59baf056.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "JWooldridge@officeformac.com" <JWooldridge@officeformac.com> wrote: > I can log in and run entourage.Error does not cause restart or crash, but > cannot view contents of certain folders. The �unknown error� is most likely a system error and can indicate disk problems. Use Disk Utili...

Change public folders
I setup HMC 3.5 and created a new public folder store for hosted accounts. Every account i setup gets an error on send about the offline address book, error no. 0x8004010F I believe this is caused because the organizations are using the hosted folder store, not the default public store. Looking through system manager, all of the folders seem to be created in the Public folder store but the HMC ResourceManagerWebClient/QueryResources.aspx displays the organizations under the Hosted Public Store. How do i move the organizations between the two folder stores? TIA, Moe myarmush at real-war...

Set all folders to AutoArchive
All the Outlook folders on my system are set to "Do not archive items in this folder". Since I have hundreds of folders it is a tedious process going to each folder and changing the Properties|AutoArchive setting to "Archive items in this folder using the default settings". Is there a way to set all the folders to "Archive items in this folder using the default settings" without having to do each one separately? Also, is there a way to set up Outlook so all new folders are created with the AutoArchive set to "Archive items in this folder using the d...

Adding a Crystal Report to the RMS reports folder
I can create a Crystal Report for the RMS but when I try to veiw the report I get a error message. What are the steps I need to follow to add the report to RMS so the user can view it Hi..richuscav, You have to make <reportname>.def file along with <reportname>.rpt file and put it in CrystalReport directory of store operations. You can have a reference of dafault DEF files in that directory. If the DEF file is correct you will get the report in Manager. I think this subject is already discussed in this forum,,so search for it. Good luck, CP.Dinesh Jumbo Electronics Co.LLC...

Outlook 2003 starts automatically although not in startup folder
Running XP home, with Office 2003. When starting my laptop, Outlook 2003 starts even though it is not in the Startup folder or in the startup tab from msconfig. Why does it startup? I don't want it to startup automatically. I cannot find any reference to this and have not received any replys from any MS guru. Please help. Charles Chuck <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Running XP home, with Office 2003. When starting my > laptop, Outlook 2003 starts even though it is not in the > Startup folder or in the startup tab from msconfig. Why > does ...

crete a rule to auto move read messages to a specific folder afte.
How do I crete a rule to auto move read messages to a specific folder after it is closed... You can't. Not after it's closed. You can have a rule to move the email as it is received. After reading you can use the move button, which will also close the email for you. -- --itai "Bill Trigleth" <Bill Trigleth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F88474E-6DDB-4C3D-B287-1D5C02A5D89E@microsoft.com... > How do I crete a rule to auto move read messages to a specific folder after > it is closed... outlook doesn't support automatically running rules ...

Exchange Server 2003: Can I set a public folder or information store up on different server?
Hi I was wondering if it is possible to set up a second information store for public folders onto a separate server. The primary information store would reside on server 1 with its private and public edb file but i would like a second public accessible edb file set up on a second server distinct from the exchange server. Thanks in advance for any help. Marco You mean a Public Folder server? Yes, you can. If your PF traffic/performance requirements justify it, as they do in some organizations, you can setup a setup a separate server and host Public Folders on it. -- Bharat Suneja MVP -...

How to personalize emails to multiple recipients?
Hello, I'd like to "personalize" emails I send to many recipients. That means easy things like having the recipients in some format db or Excel and then send it too all of them with having everyone addressed like "Dear John" etc. Is there any option I could do that with, like using fields or something? Thanks for your help Thomas Use Mail Merge. Help has directions. "Thomas" wrote: > Hello, > > I'd like to "personalize" emails I send to many recipients. That means easy > things like having the recipients in some format db or...

Outlook Epxress Error Personal Address Error Msg
Until recently I used Outlook as my primary email. I installed and beganned to use Outlook Express instead..I just happened to like its features. After converting over I how receive an error message that reads "Your personal address book could not be opened. The file is either not accessible or is not a personal address book. Choose retry to use your personal address book, or choose cancel to not use your personal address book wit this application." The program crashes if I choose the option to cancel or to retry. I can not launch Outlook Epress. I have tried to locat...

Why when I click on my address book it shows the person's fax #
I just installed Office 2003. When I go to my address book it shows not only the person email address but also their fax number. How can I clean it up and stop that? http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/nofax.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTE...

Users Cannot Access Public Folders
I am experiencing a problem with our Public Folder Store. Users are not be able to access some Public Folders using their Outlook client, even though the users have the correct permissions. They receive access denied when they try to open messages in the Public Folders. However, these users can access remote public folders by using Microsoft Outlook Web Access! Actually, my problem is mentioned on Microsoft's KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324353/ However the solution did not work for me. I have one Exchange Server running on a sbs2k3 machine, I recently added a new Exchange ...

Default folders in my US version are in German?!!!
The default folders in my just-installed US version of Outlook 2003 are in German, and I can't change them back to English. Please help! I bought my brand-new laptop a few weeks ago in the US to bring with me (as a spare) on a brief trip to Austria. Just for fun (big mistake?), I set the "local" location and language to "German (Austria) when first setting up Windows XP on the machine. I've since gone in and changed the "local" info back to the US, but still the German default folders persist in Outlook. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling...

Multiple Personal Folders in Folder List and Mail Navigation panes
Would greatly appreciate help. I have two Personal Folders (both with the same sub folders: Inbox, Sent Items, etc.) in the Folder List and Mail views in the Navigation Pane. With both, when I right click on them, the selection "close personal folder" is grayed. How do I get rid of one of them?? Thank you. If they are true personal folders then you must go through tools, services, highlight appropriate personal folder and remove it there. This is for Outlook 2k, you didnt specify which version. >-----Original Message----- >Would greatly appreciate help. >I have two ...

Folder Permission #2
I am trying to change the permission on my Calendar folder to allow the folder to be shared with others on a LAN. A Microsoft Knowledge Base Article says to go to Folder List, right click on the Calendar folder, go to Properties, and then the Permissions tab. I don't have a Permissions tab. What's another way to change the permissions? Thanks. Are you using Exchange server? The permissions tab will only appear if you are using Exchange and have the delivery set to the mailbox and not personal folders. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep...

How do I change the public folder structure/heirarchy
We are using Exchange 2003 Server and the Public Folder Heirarchy is incorrect. All folder begin two levels down from the Root. Example below. Public Folders Favorites All Public Folders ( Here is where all folders have been created) We want to move everything so that they folders are created at the top level under Public Folders. What methods are possible and what is the least painful way to ge this done thanks. ...

Auditing calendar and public folder access
Is there a way in Exchange 2003 SP2 to audit personal and public folder calendar access, additions, changes, and deletions? I want to see who is adding what items to who's calendar, deleting them, viewing public folder items, etc. ...

Junk E-mail ID & Folder
Can anyone tell me how to - (1) Have the Junk E-mail feature of Outlook 2002 only filter out those addresses that I specfically identify. (2) Have all Junk Mail that I have specifcally indentified in (1) sent directly to the Junk E-Mail without showing in the Inbox view. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a Windows XP Prof. system running Office XP. Ray 1) Set the Junk E-mail options to "No Automatic Filtering" and just specify the naughty addresses in your Blocked Senders list. 2) It all has to come into the Inbox first; the move should be fairly transparent to you ...

Default server where new public folders are created
Hi all the group; Question: where -what server- new public folders are created by default? For example, imagine the following: BACKEND1 at location LA: this backend has 1000 public folders already created BACKEND2 at location NY: this other backend has 1000 public folders already created, too 500 users are located on BACKEND1 (this is, the mailboxes of that users are located on BACKEND1) another 500 users are located on BACKEND2 (this is, the mailboxes of that other users are located on BACKEND1) ALL the public folders are replication between BACKEND1 and BACKEND2 (BACKEND1 replicates to ...