REQ: Can Someone Help Me With This Outlook XP Question?

Hello All:

I use Word to edit my e-mail msgs in Outlook XP. I had to reinstall Office
the other day and now whenever I want to start a new e-mail or reply to an
e-mail I get a warning that comes up:

"A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook.
Do you want to allow this?
If this is unexpected it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'"

There is a box that asks for the amount of time to allow the access: 1 to 10
minutes.

Do I have to have specific settings for my Outlook address book? I use the
Contact area in Outlook for addresses.

I have never come across this before in the 3 years that I have been using
XP. I use Word to edit the e-mails because of a business card that I use. I
have never experienced this problem in the past with using the business card
stationery.

Is there a way to fix this problem? It is more annoying than anything else.

Thanks!!!

0
brooklyn1 (2)

When you reinstalled Office, if you ran Office Update, you downloaded Office
XP SP3.  The problem you're describing is a known issue with SP3; security
has been updated to more closely match the security in Outlook 2003.  You
may be able to get around the problem by either disabling Word as your
e-mail editor or updating some of your add-ins, especially virus scanners
and spam filters (many major manufacturers have already released compatible
updates).  See the following articles for more information:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838871

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:e4QTdRZLEHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> When you reinstalled Office, if you ran Office Update, you downloaded
Office
> XP SP3.  The problem you're describing is a known issue with SP3; security
> has been updated to more closely match the security in Outlook 2003.  You
> may be able to get around the problem by either disabling Word as your
> e-mail editor or updating some of your add-ins, especially virus scanners
> and spam filters (many major manufacturers have already released
compatible
> updates).  See the following articles for more information:
>
> http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838871
>
> --
> Jocelyn Fiorello
> MVP - Outlook
>
> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
> reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>

> In news:6nPjc.5818$g31.1937@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
> BrooklynNYC wrote:
>
> > Hello All:
> >
> > I use Word to edit my e-mail msgs in Outlook XP. I had to reinstall
> > Office the other day and now whenever I want to start a new e-mail or
> > reply to an e-mail I get a warning that comes up:
> >
> > "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in
> > Outlook. Do you want to allow this?
> > If this is unexpected it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'"
> >
> > There is a box that asks for the amount of time to allow the access:
> > 1 to 10 minutes.
> >
> > Do I have to have specific settings for my Outlook address book? I
> > use the Contact area in Outlook for addresses.
> >
> > I have never come across this before in the 3 years that I have been
> > using XP. I use Word to edit the e-mails because of a business card
> > that I use. I have never experienced this problem in the past with
> > using the business card stationery.
> >
> > Is there a way to fix this problem? It is more annoying than anything
> > else.
> >
> > Thanks!!!

 Thanks for the help.

This problem started before I install my Norton AV and I don't have a spam
filter so that isn't the problem. I will have to wait for MS to come up with
a fix that fixes the fix.

I would think that MS would create a security fix that integrates with their
other products. Why would "you" create a fix that make Outlook and Word
combat each other. Makes no sense to me however, it makes sense to your
company and I guess that's all that matters.

0
brooklyn1 (2)
4/29/2004 3:36:41 PM
FWIW, it's not my company...I'm just a volunteer answering questions  :-)

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:di9kc.7240$g31.6501@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
BrooklynNYC wrote:

> "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:e4QTdRZLEHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> When you reinstalled Office, if you ran Office Update, you
>> downloaded Office XP SP3.  The problem you're describing is a known
>> issue with SP3; security has been updated to more closely match the
>> security in Outlook 2003.  You may be able to get around the problem
>> by either disabling Word as your e-mail editor or updating some of
>> your add-ins, especially virus scanners and spam filters (many major
>> manufacturers have already released compatible updates).  See the
>> following articles for more information:
>>
>> http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838871
>>
>> --
>> Jocelyn Fiorello
>> MVP - Outlook
>>
>> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
>> reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>>

>> In news:6nPjc.5818$g31.1937@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
>> BrooklynNYC wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All:
>>>
>>> I use Word to edit my e-mail msgs in Outlook XP. I had to reinstall
>>> Office the other day and now whenever I want to start a new e-mail
>>> or reply to an e-mail I get a warning that comes up:
>>>
>>> "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in
>>> Outlook. Do you want to allow this?
>>> If this is unexpected it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'"
>>>
>>> There is a box that asks for the amount of time to allow the access:
>>> 1 to 10 minutes.
>>>
>>> Do I have to have specific settings for my Outlook address book? I
>>> use the Contact area in Outlook for addresses.
>>>
>>> I have never come across this before in the 3 years that I have been
>>> using XP. I use Word to edit the e-mails because of a business card
>>> that I use. I have never experienced this problem in the past with
>>> using the business card stationery.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to fix this problem? It is more annoying than
>>> anything else.
>>>
>>> Thanks!!!
>>

>  Thanks for the help.
>
> This problem started before I install my Norton AV and I don't have a
> spam filter so that isn't the problem. I will have to wait for MS to
> come up with a fix that fixes the fix.
>
> I would think that MS would create a security fix that integrates
> with their other products. Why would "you" create a fix that make
> Outlook and Word combat each other. Makes no sense to me however, it
> makes sense to your company and I guess that's all that matters.

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Stupid question regarding reports
I am a former Quicken user switching to Money and I have what seems to me a very dumb report question. How do I create a new report? I've looked in the help file and in the online tutorial and users guide and find plenty of references to customizing an existing report but nothing about creating a new one. I realize that it must be there somewhere. Someone please help this dummy (it would be nice if they gave you even a 5 page manual though). Bob Had me guessing for a while also. Just click on "reports" and select which one you want. Don't forget to use "custom...

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Help with income/expenses

cant start outlook pst file to large

help with simple maths in excel

can't customize toolbar

Outlook 2003

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

Need help with Auto Filter

Reminders in Outlook

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

Help with a simple database
I am attempting to use Excel to develop a simple database for my office. The database basically lists a variety of orders purchased from various vendors, and my goal is to categorize and sort each vendor seperately. For example: GC Group 4/24/03 7831.1 $1,000.00 Alpha 1/20/03 7003.1 $2,000.00 Chandler 5/6/03 7050.1 $345.50 Is what the main chart looks like. Now, what I'm trying to accomplish is, suppose I added Tomsen 4/20/03 7873.1 $200.00 to the very bottom, Excel would automatically create a new tab (or even worksheet, if possible) tit...

Looking for help on timing within a function
At the facility I work, our associates use a very basic access database to sign out individual work orders on an interval of around every 12 minutes. They have asked if it would be possible to put a timer on the front page of the database to show how long they have been working on the current work order, updating each time they sing out another order. I am not very adept at access nor is the rest of our management staff. Is it possible to add this function, so they can better keep time of their work being done? Use the Form Timer event. Here is an example of how it can be done. In this ex...

Can anyone help ?