Reply rule doesn't work consistantly

I've got an Outlook 2003 client and we are trying to setup a rule to
emulate the Out of Office Assistant. I've setup a rule that is
supposed to send reply with a template if the sender is from a list of
contacts that I've chosen. It isn't working as expected. The first
time I tried it, I entered only one (internet) email address which
worked perfectly. If I add any addresses to that list, it doesn't work
anymore - the reply is not sent.

I know that it can reply to internet email addresses, since it worked
that one time, but I can't figure out why it won't work when there are
a list of emails.

Any ideas?? Thanks!

are you using the same test address each time and not restarting outlook?
Some reply rules will only reply to each address once to prevent mail loops.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **

<megnotarte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got an Outlook 2003 client and we are trying to setup a rule to
> emulate the Out of Office Assistant. I've setup a rule that is
> supposed to send reply with a template if the sender is from a list of
> contacts that I've chosen. It isn't working as expected. The first
> time I tried it, I entered only one (internet) email address which
> worked perfectly. If I add any addresses to that list, it doesn't work
> anymore - the reply is not sent.
>
> I know that it can reply to internet email addresses, since it worked
> that one time, but I can't figure out why it won't work when there are
> a list of emails.
>
> Any ideas?? Thanks!

0
outlookmvp (5838)
7/15/2008 12:54:59 PM
Thanks for the response, Diane.

Yes, that was one of the problems. So, now I can get it to reliably
work with a list of 4 internet addresses that I add. However, the user
has a list that's hitting the limit (24kb?) for a rule. I can repl it
on my Outlook as well (2007) when I add her list. It's a mix of
contacts and typed email addresses.

I'm stumped.

On Jul 15, 5:54=A0am, "Diane Poremsky {MVP}" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
> are you using the same test address each time and not restarting outlook?
> Some reply rules will only reply to each address once to prevent mail loo=
ps.

> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Need Help with Common Tasks?http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> Outlook 2007:http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
>
> ** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
> when requesting assistance **
>
> <megnota...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I've got an Outlook 2003 client and we are trying to setup a rule to
> > emulate the Out of Office Assistant. I've setup a rule that is
> > supposed to send reply with a template if the sender is from a list of
> > contacts that I've chosen. It isn't working as expected. The first
> > time I tried it, I entered only one (internet) email address which
> > worked perfectly. If I add any addresses to that list, it doesn't work
> > anymore - the reply is not sent.
>
> > I know that it can reply to internet email addresses, since it worked
> > that one time, but I can't figure out why it won't work when there are
> > a list of emails.
>
> > Any ideas?? Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

There is no way to avoid the rules size limit unless you use Exchange 2007.
Try using the sender is in a specified address book. As much as I hate
multiple contacts folders, this is problem one time when it makes sense to
use multiples - move either the ones the rule won't apply to or the ones the
rule will apply to, to a new contacts folder so you can limit the contacts
used by the rule.

--

> Thanks for the response, Diane.
>
> Yes, that was one of the problems. So, now I can get it to reliably
> work with a list of 4 internet addresses that I add. However, the user
> has a list that's hitting the limit (24kb?) for a rule. I can repl it
> on my Outlook as well (2007) when I add her list. It's a mix of
> contacts and typed email addresses.
>
> I'm stumped.
>

> On Jul 15, 5:54 am, "Diane Poremsky {MVP}" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
>> are you using the same test address each time and not restarting outlook?
>> Some reply rules will only reply to each address once to prevent mail
>> loops.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Need Help with Common Tasks?http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
>> Outlook 2007:http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net
>>
>> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>
>> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
>>
>> ** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
>> when requesting assistance **
>>
>> <megnota...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > I've got an Outlook 2003 client and we are trying to setup a rule to
>> > emulate the Out of Office Assistant. I've setup a rule that is
>> > supposed to send reply with a template if the sender is from a list of
>> > contacts that I've chosen. It isn't working as expected. The first
>> > time I tried it, I entered only one (internet) email address which
>> > worked perfectly. If I add any addresses to that list, it doesn't work
>> > anymore - the reply is not sent.
>>
>> > I know that it can reply to internet email addresses, since it worked
>> > that one time, but I can't figure out why it won't work when there are
>> > a list of emails.
>>
>> > Any ideas?? Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

outlookmvp (5838)
7/15/2008 3:56:23 PM
Good idea. I'll give that a shot tonight and see how it goes.

I don't understand why specifying the addresses won't work. The list
is close to the limit, but not exceeding it. (We had to delete a few
addresses to activate the rule.)

Thanks for your help!
specifying addresses will work, provided you don't have too many names.
using the contacts folder will allow you to use more names.

--

> Good idea. I'll give that a shot tonight and see how it goes.
>
> I don't understand why specifying the addresses won't work. The list
> is close to the limit, but not exceeding it. (We had to delete a few
> addresses to activate the rule.)
>
> Thanks for your help!

0
outlookmvp (5838)

OWA Exch 2003 Not Working
I am running Windows 2003 with Exchange 2003. I am trying to acces OWA and when I do, it says that the page is under maintenance. I have tried to do http://127.0.0.1/Exchange and also http://servername/Exchange and I get the same message. Did OWA not install right. On 14 Mar, 13:01, Jeff <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am running Windows 2003 with Exchange 2003. I am trying to acces OWA and > when I do, it says that the page is under maintenance. I have tried to dohttp://127.0.0.1/Exchangeand alsohttp://servername/Exchangeand I get the > same message. Did OWA no...

Connect/work offline/cancel message
In outlook 2003 connecting to SBS/Exchange 2003 server, get message: Exchange is currently in recovery mode you can connect, work offline, or cancel. This is only happening in a few computers on the network after implementing SBS 2003 with Outlook and Exchange 2003. ...

reply #4
When I am replying to a massage it does not get mark down as replied, any ideas? "mike" <metzioni@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2005b01c4589e$be684cc0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When I am replying to a massage it does not get mark down > as replied, any ideas? That's because you are using the Web interface. If you need to see which posts you have replied to, then you need to use a News reader. Try OE for starters, go here to see how to set it up. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=171164&product=oex ...

Color not working
I am operating Windows 2000, using Office Pro 2003. I am no longer able to format my cells with colors, either shading or text coloring. I have run the repair feature, but it didn't work. Bold, Underline, and similar functions still work. Please help. Thanks. CC Have a look at this: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 Biff >-----Original Message----- >I am operating Windows 2000, using Office Pro 2003. I am >no longer able to format my cells with colors, either >shading or text coloring....

How do text capture tools work?
Here are two examples of this technology. http://www.textcapture.com/en/default.html http://www.deskperience.com/textcapture/ Sounds like they will have to involve OCR, which works fine for standard fonts but probably won't work with fancy fonts. Key here is to test them try a static control with a TextOut and change the fonts and see what happens. joe On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:02:04 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote: >Here are two examples of this technology. > > http://www.textcapture.com/en/default.html > http://www.deskp...

Saving address to replyed emails
IN outlook express I could automatically save the email address when I replyed to an email. I want to be able to do this in outlook 2002 Can some please help Not possible. You will need to right click on the address and select to Add to Contacts. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having searched the archives, Garth <smilepolice@hotmail.com> typed: | IN outlook express I could automatically save the email | address when I replyed to an email. | | I want to be able to do this in outlook 2002 | | Can some please help ...

Remote Wipe Out Work with Treo 650?
Debating whether to get the Treo 650's with the ActiveSync built in vs. the PPC-6700 (both from Sprint) for our marketing reps here. Treo's are appealing due to how cheap they are now, and with the ActiveSync looks like you can sync up with xng2k3 sp2 (which we are implementing now). ActiveSync aside, can the Treo's be remotely wiped out with the Mobility Tool in xng2k3? Or is this feature only compatible with Windows Mobile OS? Anyone? Thx! No it can't. Remote wipe will only work with Windows mobile 5.0 devices with AKU 2.0 (formerly MSFP). Treo 650 is Palm OS. -- Be...

Online Quotes don't work anymore
Online quotes stopped working yesterday. I'm using MS Money 2001 standard. Any clues? There was a glitch for a bit that seems to be cleared up now... "Robert" <bob@flythrough.com> wrote in message news:069d01c357ca$e4ccc060$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Online quotes stopped working yesterday. I'm using MS > Money 2001 standard. Any clues? >-----Original Message----- >Online quotes stopped working yesterday. I'm using MS >Money 2001 standard. Any clues? >. >I have the same issue. It worked the first time but not since. Big problem for m...

delegate email still not working
for exch 2003 on outlook 2003 newly supporting the above, i did not set up the initial install i created a new user with ad wizard, so it created email account, mailbox, etc i opened up a mail account for the new user in outlook express and was able to receive mail in oe for the new user, then i deleted that acct in outlook express then i added that new user account to an exisiting outlook2003 already connected to another exch mailbox, in the advanced add user section, that newly added delegate user has all permissions the outlook directory tree added the new user mailbox and exch accepted...

Autofilter on protected work book?
Autofilter works on a protected workbook, but not when it is a line in a macro, e.g.: Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="YES" It cause a macro error. This is true even if I enable 'Allow all user of the workbook to Use Autofilter'. I'm sure I've done this before and it worked, but not now. Does anyone know if this is a bug in 2003? Or a way around it? Or another way of selecting a number of rows by a single criterion (in a macro)? Good morning Muppet Does this article help? http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter03.html#Protect HTH DominicB -- ...

get rid of extra spaces between paragraphs worked only once.
Changed style from Word 7 to Word 3, used help online, but still have 2 left with spaces I cannot get rid of on my last page. Got any help for me? -- Only fools and bigots prefer French over Spanish to be taught in public or private schools. In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), right-click the style name and choose Modify from the context menu. In the Modify Style dialog box, click Format, Paragraph. Make sure that Line Spacing is what you want, and that Spacing Before and Spacing After are both set to zero. Click OK. To transfer the style definition to the attached template, d...

AutoPreview works intermittently
Outlook 2002 SP2 Affected Inbox is connecting to an IMAP server AutoPreview set to 'Preview unread items' I am an IT technitian and I have a user who likes to have her unread mail items in her Inbox to use the AutoPreview feature. At one point I went to View/Current View/Customize Current View.../Other settings... and chose 'No AutoPreview' option. I recently restored the 'Preview unread items' option. Now, an email will only AutoPreview if: I manually mark a read email as unread (right clicking on email and choosing 'Mark As Unread') or: right clic...

Multiple Sales Transaction for Same Work Order
I am in the process of trying to create a store level report by department, catagory, and item of the moneys received in total by both deposit on work orders and on direct sales that are not work orders. We require a 100% deposit (of a single tender type) on work orders. I then need to break this deposit down by department, catagory and item. Then I must add that to the same break down for direct sales. Thereby getting a total of all moneys received during a specified period for the store across all registers. So basically I am trying to figure out the data structure and org...

Keyboard shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+I stopped working
Using Office 2003 on Win XP SP2. Recently the Keyboard shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+I stopped working for quickly switch to your Inbox. Any advice? John ...

my vista media player stoped working!!
I can not find a download fix that works do I have to reinstall vista if so that sucks bad On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:29:01 -0700, mainman <mainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I can not find a download fix that works do I have to reinstall vista if so >that sucks bad It's only going to be possible to help you if you can provide a specific description of what "stopped working" means - and step by step we could follow to guess what the problem area(s) might be. Try to isolate it for example by playing a CD (can you hear it ?), playing some music ...

Rules gone crazy!
When I create a rule to move mail sent to a second e-mail account into a specified folder I follow the steps listed at the end of this post. However, when I choose the email acount I'm interested in (we'll use New email and Old email as the accounts) it changes on me. In other words, let's say I want a rule that sends my Old email messages to an Old Email folder, I follow the correct steps and then press ok. When I go back to look at the rule afterwards, the email account shows New email, instead of Old email. No matter how many times I change it back or punch the wal...

create a letter with the data fron work sheet
i have a data sheet for the order.like people order staff lik tea,coffee...etc,i ve data including date,name,department,.....etc. when i put the data i want a letter format which picks up the data fro the sheet then i can send it to the person who made the order as confirmatino letter. like it the letter starts dear "......"(it could pick the name fro c1) also how can i create this letter? does it have to be in excel ?? help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!:( :( :( : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com As answered in microsoft.public.excel and microsoft.public....

How do I work in excel and then save it as a doc or docx?
I need to be able to work in excell and then save it in doc or docx format. If I cannot do this, can I make doc or docx so that I can use the automatic sum? In Word, you can use AutoSum of the Tables and Borders toolbar to sum the values in table. But when you change the values, you need to right-click the total value to refresh it. It can not update auto. Lee Li Fong http://smartusemicrosoftoffice.blogspot.com/ Hi Nadine, You can open a Word document and Insert -> Object -> Microsoft Excel Worksheet Ed Ferrero www.edferrero.com ...

Book/doc on converting XP program to work nicely on Vista?
Any good books or documentation, things I should know about what worked fine on XP that won't work on Vista, what needs to be modified in the program to get it to work nicely on Vista, umm, stuff like that? What's a better way than Journal Hooks for a program to record it's own keystrokes? Journal hooks was always problematic if other programs were running that didn't process their messages correctly, and now on Vista I hear journal hooks have been disabled. try Microsoft Application Verifier. "David Deley" <deleyd@gte.net> wrote in message news:vTqVi.1...

Working offline with customize entities
I have created 2 custom entities in MS CRM. Now when I work offline in my Outlook CRM for Laptop, the custom entities are not populated with records. Any suggestions? I checked my roles, it allows me to work offline. Does this mean that custom entity records are not able to work in offline mode? Please help. You will need to set up the sync of custom entity records in the Outlook Client. This can be done by specifying which entities are to be synched using Local Data Groups in the Tools menu (i m not sure if its in the Tools/CRM menu. Pls check) HTH, Niths "Benjsoft" wr...

"Reply" Button Hangs Outlook 2000
Running Outlook 2000 on Windows XP on a new HP Pavilion Notebook with 512 MB RAM and 40 GB hard drive. When I click "Reply" on the messages FROM ONE PARTICULAR CORRESPONDANT ONLY, the Outlook program hangs and must be restarted. Eventually I seem to have to restart the computer to get normal functionality. The messages in question are in HTML format. Sometimes they have an attached file, sometimes they don't. They come from an .edu domain and have been forwarded to me from another .edu domain, then to a Verizon DSL account, then to the regular dialup ISP that I use during...

Money 2006 Pocket PC does not work
I installed the downloaded money 2006 ppc to my new Dell Axim x51v that comes with windows mobile 5.0 installed. The installation process seems ok, however, when I tried to run it form Axim it poped up a message said some components not found and I need reinstall the program. Anyone know the solution? Thanks, A. Don't think mobile 5 is supported. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/271.aspx -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specif...

Difference in how templates work: Word 2003 and Word 2007?
I hope I'm posting this in the right place... In Word 2003, when you've associated a .DOT with a .DOC (Tools > Templates and Add-Ins, Templates tab), the Document Template edit box displays the full pathname of the DOT. But if you move the pair of files to another folder and open up that .DOC on that folder and go again into Tools > Templates and Add-Ins, the template name in Document Template edit box now has the NEW folder. It seems that Word 2003 doesn=92t internally store the foldername of the DOT along with its filename, and instead will look first on the DOC'...