Remote Access or shared LAN access of Outlook without using Exchange Server ????

Currently I am accessing my desktop computer's installation of Outlook
through Remote Desktop, from my laptop.  I can do this while on the same LAN
or remotely, through the internet.

This however is not really ideal, as I run my desktop at QXGA resolution and
my laptop has only a XGA screen.  This means that when I get back home, all
the windows on my desktop are all messed up and really small.

What I would really like to do is be able to access remotely, in either one
of the ways you can do using Exchange Server.

I have a separate server machine (running Windows Server 2003 Standard) that
is on 24hrs, and ideally like to have the mailstore on that, somehow.

Is there any way to do this without Exchange Server.  Is there third party
software for a very small business?

Thanks

ss.

Windows server supports pop3 and smtp... not sure if it supports IMAP which
is the best option for sharing. Otherwise you'll need a 3rd party tool.

Another option is leaving the mail on the server and downloading it to each
computer - using an IMAP acct is better.

If you use Outlook 2007 you can easily publish your calendar and share it
with both computers.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message

> Currently I am accessing my desktop computer's installation of Outlook
> through Remote Desktop, from my laptop.  I can do this while on the same
> LAN or remotely, through the internet.
>
> This however is not really ideal, as I run my desktop at QXGA resolution
> and my laptop has only a XGA screen.  This means that when I get back
> home, all the windows on my desktop are all messed up and really small.
>
> What I would really like to do is be able to access remotely, in either
> one of the ways you can do using Exchange Server.
>
> I have a separate server machine (running Windows Server 2003 Standard)
> that is on 24hrs, and ideally like to have the mailstore on that, somehow.
>
> Is there any way to do this without Exchange Server.  Is there third party
> software for a very small business?
>
> Thanks
>
> ss.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
6/22/2007 3:54:39 PM
"Diane Poremsky" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
> Windows server supports pop3 and smtp... not sure if it supports IMAP
> which is the best option for sharing. Otherwise you'll need a 3rd party
> tool.
>
> Another option is leaving the mail on the server and downloading it to
> each computer - using an IMAP acct is better.
>
> If you use Outlook 2007 you can easily publish your calendar and share it
> with both computers.
>
> http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm
>
> http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm

The email accounts I want to be able to access remotely, are an assortment
of POP3, Hotmail and IMAP accounts.  It's obviously the POP3 accounts that
are causing the problem here.  Your links seems to solve the Contacts and
Calendar entries though.

I have found this by searching:
http://outlook-remote-accesss.etopping-software.qarchive.org/

But it does not seem to be quite what I am looking for, by the sound of it.
Ad ideally I want to have the mail on the server.

ss.

Hi ss, (Hi Diane)

at first the question about IMAP support for Windows 2003 Server:

Q. Does the built-in email server support Internet Access Message Protocol
(IMAP)?

No, the built-in email server does not support IMAP
http://www.ilopia.com/Articles/WindowsServer2003/EmailServer.aspx

On the same website you will find an acrticle for how to configure the
default email server on Windows 2003 Server.

>I have a separate server machine (running Windows Server 2003 Standard)
>that
is on 24hrs, and ideally like to have the mailstore on that, somehow.

You could use a VPN connection with Windows 2003 Server. It is a default
function that is supported on 2003
Server.

With this VPN connection you could have access on a PST file that is stored
on the server with the PC and the laptop on different times.

Network PST files are unsupported by Microsoft, but we work since a few
years with this network PST files.

You can not "share" this PST files, without 3rd party utilities.

Article for "How to share Otlook without 3rd party utilities:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011477571033.aspx

Office Marketplace Outlook messaging tools:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/CE010719621033.aspx

Maybe it helps.

--
Oliver Vukovics
Share your Outlook PST files without Exchange: Public ShareFolder

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:OGEvzQOtHHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> Currently I am accessing my desktop computer's installation of Outlook
> through Remote Desktop, from my laptop.  I can do this while on the same
> LAN or remotely, through the internet.
>
> This however is not really ideal, as I run my desktop at QXGA resolution
> and my laptop has only a XGA screen.  This means that when I get back
> home, all the windows on my desktop are all messed up and really small.
>
> What I would really like to do is be able to access remotely, in either
> one of the ways you can do using Exchange Server.
>
> I have a separate server machine (running Windows Server 2003 Standard)
> that is on 24hrs, and ideally like to have the mailstore on that, somehow.
>
> Is there any way to do this without Exchange Server.  Is there third party
> software for a very small business?
>
> Thanks
>
> ss.

0
trash5936 (201)
6/22/2007 4:21:55 PM
"Oliver Vukovics" <trash@publicshareware.com> wrote in message
> Hi ss, (Hi Diane)
>
> at first the question about IMAP support for Windows 2003 Server:
>
> Q. Does the built-in email server support Internet Access Message Protocol
> (IMAP)?
>
> No, the built-in email server does not support IMAP
> http://www.ilopia.com/Articles/WindowsServer2003/EmailServer.aspx
>
> On the same website you will find an acrticle for how to configure the
> default email server on Windows 2003 Server.
>
>>I have a separate server machine (running Windows Server 2003 Standard)
>>that
> is on 24hrs, and ideally like to have the mailstore on that, somehow.
>
> You could use a VPN connection with Windows 2003 Server. It is a default
> function that is supported on 2003
> Server.
>
> With this VPN connection you could have access on a PST file that is
> stored on the server with the PC and the laptop on different times.
>
> Network PST files are unsupported by Microsoft, but we work since a few
> years with this network PST files.
>
> You can not "share" this PST files, without 3rd party utilities.
>
> Article for "How to share Otlook without 3rd party utilities:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011477571033.aspx
>
> Office Marketplace Outlook messaging tools:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/CE010719621033.aspx
>
> Maybe it helps.
>
> --
> Oliver Vukovics
> Share your Outlook PST files without Exchange: Public ShareFolder
> Synchronisation for Outlook and Exchange: Public SyncTool
> http://www.publicshareware.com

Thanks for the info.  This seems like a simple solution.

Can Outlook be running on more than one machine at the same time, while
sharing the .pst file?

I have never been able to understand how to make VPN connections.

Cheers

ss.

no, only one outlook can use a pst at a time as they lock access.

--

> Thanks for the info.  This seems like a simple solution.
>
> Can Outlook be running on more than one machine at the same time, while
> sharing the .pst file?
>
> I have never been able to understand how to make VPN connections.
>
> Cheers
>
> ss.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
6/22/2007 6:39:42 PM
> no, only one outlook can use a pst at a time as they lock access.

The links that Oliver Vukovics gave seem to say that multiple users can use
the .pst at the same time, but I can;t get my head around all that at the
moment.

One of them mentions MSN Premium, which sounds very interesting.  I'll have
to read more about that.

ss.

> One of them mentions MSN Premium, which sounds very interesting.  I'll
> have to read more about that.

Having read more about that, it clearly isn't my solution.  I need to find
out more on sharing the .pst file I think.

ss.

Oliver isn't simply sharing an outlook pst - his links use a 3rd party tool
that handles the share. That is the only way you can share a pst.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message
> "Diane Poremsky" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> no, only one outlook can use a pst at a time as they lock access.
>>

> The links that Oliver Vukovics gave seem to say that multiple users can
> use the .pst at the same time, but I can;t get my head around all that at
> the moment.
>
> One of them mentions MSN Premium, which sounds very interesting.  I'll
> have to read more about that.
>
> ss.

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Exchange 2003
I can't seem to get the simple display name to work. I modified the registry to use the simple domain name. I haven't restarted the information store service yet. I thought that with SP2 it should fix this issue. I have Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003. -- La Senza Support In news:00243A09-C043-4224-A45F-FC02CDFB1FEC@microsoft.com, La Senza Support <LaSenzaSupport@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I can't seem to get the simple display name to work. > I modified the registry to use the simple domain name. I haven't > restarted the information store service...

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

Using Relative path for XML data file?

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Reporting from Project Server

Outlook Sales

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Contacts in Exchange #2