Reminder Time vs Due By Field

I'm using O2003. For a contact, there is the Due by Field. There is
also a Reminder Time field. If you update the Due By field, it updates
the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the Reminder Time
field, it does not update the Due By field. By default for a contact,
you have access to the Due By field. The Reminder field is avaialble,
but you have to manually add it.

In Tasks, it seems to work the same in that if you update the Due By
field, it updates the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the
Reminder Time field, it does not update the Due By field.

However, you have access to the Reminder field and not the Due By
field unless you add it.

What is the difference between these fields and why does one update
the other but not vice versa.

Thank you.

Shawn

0
srm (64)

The due by time is the time the event is due - the reminder time field is
when the reminder fires, typically 15 min before the due date. If you set a
due date and reminders are enabled, the reminder time is set - but you can
choose any reminder time you want. So the behavior you are seeing is
correct - you can change the reminder time but the due date stays the same -
while changing the due date changes the reminder time.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"srm" <srm@primatech.com> wrote in message
> I'm using O2003. For a contact, there is the Due by Field. There is
> also a Reminder Time field. If you update the Due By field, it updates
> the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the Reminder Time
> field, it does not update the Due By field. By default for a contact,
> you have access to the Due By field. The Reminder field is avaialble,
> but you have to manually add it.
>
> In Tasks, it seems to work the same in that if you update the Due By
> field, it updates the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the
> Reminder Time field, it does not update the Due By field.
>
> However, you have access to the Reminder field and not the Due By
> field unless you add it.
>
> What is the difference between these fields and why does one update
> the other but not vice versa.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Shawn

0
outlookmvp (5838)
3/26/2008 6:34:12 PM
On Mar 26, 2:34 pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
> The due by time is the time the event is due - the reminder time field is
> when the reminder fires, typically 15 min before the due date. If you set a
> due date and reminders are enabled, the reminder time is set - but you can
> choose any reminder time you want. So the behavior you are seeing is
> correct - you can change the reminder time but the due date stays the same -
> while changing the due date changes the reminder time.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Need Help with Common Tasks?http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> Outlook 2007:http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> "srm" <s...@primatech.com> wrote in message

> > I'm using O2003. For a contact, there is the Due by Field. There is
> > also a Reminder Time field. If you update the Due By field, it updates
> > the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the Reminder Time
> > field, it does not update the Due By field. By default for a contact,
> > you have access to the Due By field. The Reminder field is avaialble,
> > but you have to manually add it.
>
> > In Tasks, it seems to work the same in that if you update the Due By
> > field, it updates the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the
> > Reminder Time field, it does not update the Due By field.
>
> > However, you have access to the Reminder field and not the Due By
> > field unless you add it.
>
> > What is the difference between these fields and why does one update
> > the other but not vice versa.
>
> > Thank you.
>
> > Shawn

Diane:

Thank you very much for the help.  I appreciate it.

Shawn
0
srm (64)
3/26/2008 8:49:50 PM
On Mar 26, 4:49 pm, srm <s...@primatech.com> wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2:34 pm, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
>

> > The due by time is the time the event is due - the reminder time field is
> > when the reminder fires, typically 15 min before the due date. If you set a
> > due date and reminders are enabled, the reminder time is set - but you can
> > choose any reminder time you want. So the behavior you are seeing is
> > correct - you can change the reminder time but the due date stays the same -
> > while changing the due date changes the reminder time.
>
> > --
> > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> > Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> > Need Help with Common Tasks?http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> > Outlook 2007:http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>
> > Outlook Tips by email:
> > dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> > Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
> > Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> > EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> > "srm" <s...@primatech.com> wrote in message

> > > I'm using O2003. For a contact, there is the Due by Field. There is
> > > also a Reminder Time field. If you update the Due By field, it updates
> > > the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the Reminder Time
> > > field, it does not update the Due By field. By default for a contact,
> > > you have access to the Due By field. The Reminder field is avaialble,
> > > but you have to manually add it.
>
> > > In Tasks, it seems to work the same in that if you update the Due By
> > > field, it updates the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the
> > > Reminder Time field, it does not update the Due By field.
>
> > > However, you have access to the Reminder field and not the Due By
> > > field unless you add it.
>
> > > What is the difference between these fields and why does one update
> > > the other but not vice versa.
>
> > > Thank you.
>
> > > Shawn
>
> Diane:
>
> Thank you very much for the help.  I appreciate it.
>
> Shawn

Diane:

I forgot to ask one question. I can see in contacts there is the Flag
for Follow Up / Due By field.  I can also add the Reminder Time field
(if I want to use it).

In the Task form, the Reminder time field is used.  However, I cannot
add the Due By field on the Task page.  It looks like I cannot edit
the Task page at all even if I save it as a new form. In the Task
form, I can add the Due By field to another tab, but not the Task
page.

Do tasks by default use the Reminder Time field and Contacts by
default use the Due By field?  Am I understanding correctly?

Thank you again for your time.

Shawn
0
srm (64)
3/27/2008 12:04:55 PM
Offhand, I'm not sure. I know the different folder types often share the
same fields but use different display names - i.e., the Organizer field in
the Calendar is the From field in Mail folders.  If you are in Calendar and
add the From field to the view, it'll rename itself Organizer.

When I need to identify fields I close the reading pane so I have a two line
view and drag fields to the view - including fields from other folders
(using the Field Chooser or in customize view dialog) just to see if they
'work'.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **

> I forgot to ask one question. I can see in contacts there is the Flag
> for Follow Up / Due By field.  I can also add the Reminder Time field
> (if I want to use it).
>
> In the Task form, the Reminder time field is used.  However, I cannot
> add the Due By field on the Task page.  It looks like I cannot edit
> the Task page at all even if I save it as a new form. In the Task
> form, I can add the Due By field to another tab, but not the Task
> page.
>
> Do tasks by default use the Reminder Time field and Contacts by
> default use the Due By field?  Am I understanding correctly?
>
> Thank you again for your time.
>
> Shawn

0
outlookmvp1 (464)
3/28/2008 1:15:22 AM
All items that support reminders (appointment, task, contact, email, post)
all use the FlagDueBy, ReminderTime and LongMinutesBefore properties
identically. The difference is that for all but appointment FlagDueBy and
ReminderTime start out equal and LongMinutesBefore equals 0. For
appointments the difference between when the appointment is and when the
reminder fires is the value of LongMinutesBefore. LongMinutesBefore is the
reminder due xx minutes before appointment setting.

For all the appropriate items the property tags for ReminderTime, FlagDueBy
and LongMinutesBefore are identical, they all use the
"{00062008-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}" named property namespace. Therefore
you can use a property from another item type and it will work in a view.

For example, you can pick ReminderTime from a type that exposes that
property (say task) and use that for a view on post items, where that
property isn't exposed in the Field Chooser.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Diane Poremsky {MVP}" <outlookmvp@msn.net> wrote in message
> Offhand, I'm not sure. I know the different folder types often share the
> same fields but use different display names - i.e., the Organizer field in
> the Calendar is the From field in Mail folders.  If you are in Calendar
> and add the From field to the view, it'll rename itself Organizer.
>
> When I need to identify fields I close the reading pane so I have a two
> line view and drag fields to the view - including fields from other
> folders (using the Field Chooser or in customize view dialog) just to see
> if they 'work'.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> ** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
> when requesting assistance **

0
kenslovak (742)

money 2004 vs vista
have a new box coming in w/vista, but i use MS Money extensively. Heard of some onflicts Have been using Money 2004 Standard O.E.M. version 12.0 and happy with what I have (don't use the "fluff" offered...just the check register mostly). Don't want to invest in 2007 just because I don't feel the need but is 2007 more stable with Vista? Is ANY version of M.S. Money compatible with Vista? Anyone have any info? Have a look at http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=187 - may be relevant for you. Also be warned that M2004 will stop allowing you to download files from your...

RTV
What is the difference between the Closed and Ready to Close Status. All of our RTV's show as Ready to Close, what will happen if we change the status to closed? Is there any financial impact if we do this? Should we do this? Ready to Close indicates that all of the conditions necessary to close the RTV document have been completed. However, new transactions can still be posted to the document. Closed stops the entry/posting of all transactions to the RTV -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks News...

Update Record Performance
I currently have C++ code that processes a raw data file containing multiple types of records. The code creates records in multiple tables in an Access database depending on the record type. The records are created one at a time as the data is read. I don't think this is very efficient. But I can't change this part of the processing. There are hunderes of thousands of records in raw data and the tables. I now need to update fields in created records from data contained in other tables in the database. The options I've come up with are: 1. In the C++ code, read t...

Local Data Group
I'm familiar with creating Local Data Groups in Outlook. With the Offline client, a Local Data Group is automatically created to sync the owners contacts with the offline database. The problem is that when the user clicks the Contacts chekbox from Outlook | CRM | Options | Synchronization Tab it uses the same Local Data Group that is used for the Offline database. The problem is that I want ALL the contacts for all the accounts that I'm the owner for in my offline database. I do NOT want all those contacts im my Outlook contacts as there can be tens of thousands of contacts. In...

>2 GB OST limit in OL2K vs. OL2K3
I have been told that the 2 GB local cached limit has been eliminated in Outlook 2003. However, does this only apply to a local cached copy created from scratch by Outlook 2003, rather than an upgrade of Outlook 2003 over an older install of Outlook 2000 which already has created a .ost file? The reason I ask is that I've noticed some of my Outlook 2003 client receiving the "offline file can't be >2 GB" error message, and the common factor is that all those clients were done as in place upgrades to OL2K3, over Outlook 2000 which was already set up for offline Send/Receiv...

Name change due to marriage...
I have a user who recently got married and would like to have her new married name for her emails, but also wants external users to be able to send emails to her old address until she has adequate time to inform everyone. Her new email would be something like lastname-newname, firstname instead of lastname, firstname. Should I create a new account with her new name and forward all her emails from the old account to the new one and can I copy her current pst into the new one? THanks for everyone's help. No. Just highlight her account in ADUC, and choose re-name. Make the neede...

How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange 2003 ?
How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange 2003 ? (make BCC field unvalible) In news:u6NrOZiyFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl, RikS <riks.tw@yahoo.com.tw> typed: > How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange > 2003 ? (make BCC field unvalible) Don't know how you'd do this offhand, but I wouldn't. If users are misusing BCC, educate them, and make this an HR issue. It really isn't a technical one. HI Riks go to new mail over there on toolbar u will be getting option in that opti...

Can excell notify me of due dates?
If I have due dates on my worksheet can I set something up so that I am notified on these dates? I've used this to help me. http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html "Deion007" wrote: > If I have due dates on my worksheet can I set something up so that I am > notified on these dates? ...

Behind the times
Behind the times, I know. I have recently graduated from Office 2000 to 2003. In 2000, when I would insert a picture I could format it with one or more items (line, line color, position, etc) and then move on to the next jpg, hit the F4 key and the photo would have the same formatting. That doesn't seem to work in 2003. Help files discuss "repeat" on the edit menu, but it doesn't seem to work on a pic. What am I missing here? This is going to be a pain to format each picture individually. I don't have 2003 handy to check, so I'm not sure what t...

Could very much use a Field List
I apologize if this is out there already, but it seems that at least a few field names changed from 1.2 to 1.3. Although I had downloaded a field list before, from here, I cannot even find that original post, let alone any more recent that might contain the correct field names. I need to do some custom SQL and would prefer not to reinvent the wheel. Thanks in advance very much to anyone who could help. Bud Izen Salem Oregon Do you have MS Access? Make a new project and attach to the database as your data source. You will be able to see all the tables and the field names. It has been ...

screen freeze after long time running
Hi I have a program written in Microsoft Visual C++ .NET . Its interface is based on CFormView. It includes three tabs to show information and plots. The plots are made by BitBlt() which copies data from the vectors to the screen around every 5 minutes. The problem is that after the program runs continuously for more than 3 days the screen freezes. Nothing is updated. I have to minimize the window and it may return to normal look. Some static labels on the interface also freeze or appear strange look. Does anyone have similar experience ? Thank you for your hints or suggestions! <e...

writing calculated fields
I am trying to avoid starting a Crystal report from scratch, please help me! I need to use the equivalent of the "If, Then, Else" formula in Crystal reports in Report Writer. I need my PO in report writer to: if {IV00101.UOMSCHDL}="xxxxx" then (PO ordered QTY * 30) else if {IV00101.UOMSCHDL}="xxxxx" then (PO ordered QTY * 40) else PO ordered QTY I can only place PO's to the vendor in eaches but I am entering the PO into GP in cases. I have the PO processing side setup correctly, I just need the PO to print now. Thank you! -- CK Create two new calculate...

How can i null out a field going through CRM Update object
I have a custom field that i want to set back to null. Any ideas how i can do this through the object.update function? thanks ...

automatically sending messages at set times??
Wondering if there's a way with Outlook to send a default message at a specified time?? ie: a message for my ex to repay me her debts on a weekly basis :P "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O$2Z4y0zEHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Wondering if there's a way with Outlook to send a default message at a > specified time?? > > ie: a message for my ex to repay me her debts on a weekly basis :P Sure if you are willing to write code but chances are it would be easier to do from the command line with one of the email utilities like ...

can i see the date the last time a cell was changed?
I am trying to figure out a formulla to make the date appear in one cell everytime anouther cell's data is chaged. Use a worksheet_change event to copy the cell address and put in a date stamp. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "JohnNuTek" <JohnNuTek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5085A544-CBF4-4B81-A244-B03DE9A0E9E6@microsoft.com... >I am trying to figure out a formulla to make the date appear in one cell > everytime anouther cell's data is chaged. There really isn't a worksheet formula to do that. Typicall...

Open excel sheet twice at same time?
Hi, Probably a question asked all the time, but I often have trouble opening a file after making a desktop shortcut to an excel file. When opening, it gives an error message about opening a file with the same name at the same time (even though I'm not). The error message continues by saying that it doesn't matter if the files are in different folders and suggests renaming one of the files. Any ideas? Thanks. Robert No reason I can think of that would cause Excel to load the file twice irrespective of launching it from a shortcut. Couple of things to check: - The file isn'...

CLick on Box to enter time of day
I have a worksheet where payment is entered in column C. I would like to use Column B as a time stamp. In other words as soon as data is entered in C5 then the exact time comes up in B5. When data is entered in C6 then the exact time cones up in C5. I do not want this time to change even when the page is saved and opened later on. Elfego You can enter a static time in a cell by hitting CTRL + SHIFT + ;(semi-colon) You could also use event code to enter a static date when you enter something in a cell. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) 'when entering data in ...

Combo values from query based on form fields
I am setting the values for a combo box in a form(s) via a query that 'filters' the results with criteria based upon the values of other fields on the form. The combo is a field that is bound. However, this is giving all kinds of problems ranging from Access completely crashing to being asked for the parameter values of those criteria fields when closing the form. I have tried making the combo an unbound field and then setting the value of the bound field to that unbound field after update, but that still leads to the same issues. How can I do this? As example - I have a form w...

Time entered (and handled as data) in simple minutes and seconds.
Using Excel 2003. How can I get Excel to display and handle entries for duration in minutes and seconds only (without having to enter a 4'30" entry as 0:04:30)? I have gotten as far as getting it to display as "04:30.0", but all I need is single digit minutes (data on this spreadsheet will never go over 9:59) and double digit seconds (and to be able to enter them simply as in "4:30"). I couldn't find that as an option in the ones listed for time in the cell format dialogue box. Right now I have to enter 0:04:30 in order to get it to work right. Is t...

Conditional text field Total
Hi, In the detail section of a report I have a text box that based on a condition, it will be either a 0 or a 1. I want to total the control at the end of the report. I did this in another report a couple of years ago but it is not working now. In the previous report, the ControlSource of the total is = [TextBoxNameFromDetailSection] and it sums correctly. What am I doing wrong?? Thanks. Leah -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/201001/1 Thanks but I see what was missing - "running sum over ...

Microsoft Business Portal Project Time and Expense Software Compon
I'm interested in the time and expense functionality (called "Business Portal Project Time and Expense") that is described under "Dynamics GP" domain. However, I do not readily see the relationship between "Dynamics GP" and "Microsoft Business Portal Project Time and Expense." What Microsoft products do I need in order to reach my goal of operating "Business Portal Project Time and Expense"? Many thanks. In terms of what you need to purchase, the answer depends upon what you have an what licensing method you are using: The Time and...

Cash vs Accrual
I originally set up my business (Money 2004) as accrual basis but now I want to change it to a cash basis and I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Charley ...

ADO Field is Nothing error
Running ANY integration on version 10 (have SP 4 installed in Dynamics AND integration manager) yields this error for EVERY user except me (I am an administrator on our domain). There are no symbols or weird charcters. These worked fine a couple months ago, but now no one can run any. These are not even sql optimized eConnect one. They are basic standard integrations. Are you using a shared Integration Manager database or does each user have their own. If the latter, then users may not be seeing the file you are seeing in the location you are seeing it. Best regards, --...

trying to select the last 3 digits of a field
hello all this is the query im using (I am looking to get the last 3 characters of a field): rep_code: Right(tablename.fieldname,3) And I get this error: IDBC--call failed [Informix][Infomirx ODBC Driver][Informix]A syntax error has occurred. (#-201) Is it something wrong with my query or something outside Access 2003 (since the table I am trying to work with its using an ODBC conexion)? Any ideas??? Thanks ...