Reasons for a Server

What compelling reasons can I give my boss for purchasing a Server?  I want
us to share outlook calendars and have a reliable backup system.  What else
though can I tell him?  (Please see my other post "Sharing", 8/16/04, for
additional info.)Thanks!
--
Karen
0

Link a Project to multiple Master Projects
***First off, I am not a savvy MS Project user, so please bear with me.*** Simply, is it possible in Microsoft Project Server 2007 to link a sub-project to multiple master projects? The way our company has operated in the past when using the stand-alone MS Project files (not using Project Server) was that the Project Manager would have his own Master Project Schedule, and the Engineering Manager would have his own Master Project. So there are all these multiple job projects out there for every customer's job, and the PM and the Engineering Manager would each link (or may...

priv1.stm file growing for unknown reason
Hello, I'm running Exchange 2003 Standard with 30 users all running Outlook 2003. Occasionally a few users will use OWA and we have one Macintosh user also accessing via Entourage (sp?) Our store is under 6Gb and all users have limits on their mailboxes and have been diligent in keeping them below the limits. Our priv1.stm file is regularly reaching nearly 10Gb and unless I defrag it every couple weeks our system will reach the 16Gb limit and shut down. Each time I run a defrag the stm file goes down to under 1Gb, but then grows rapidly over the next couple weeks and approaches ...

Remove old servers
I use to have two exchange 5.5 servers in addition to my exchnage 2003 server. The 5.5 server s are not serving any purpose. I've shut down one of the servers. The server still appears in exchange system manager. Is there a way that the server will go away considering its shut down permanently. Its been taken out of production. Nethier of these servers are replicating with 2003 server. They server no purpose and I'd like to remove them from the infrastructure. Remove the first one using Exchange 5.5 Administrator. To remove the last one, follow this article: http://suppor...

New 2003 Server Exchange install
I have a new exch 2003 install and would like to be able for clients to connect through the POP portion when they are on the road. This has been set up from on the server on each clients mailbox but me being new to 2003 I am not sure what to srt up in the clients email client eg. pop.server.com and smtp.server.com. however when I try to ping those addreses I do not get a reply, any help would be appreciated, thanks SPG <SPG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new exch 2003 install and would like to be able for clients to >connect through the POP portion when they ar...

Have server reply using a specific message rule does not work
Currently we want to set up an auto-reply (do_not_reply) message on an account that has multiple smtp addresses. Email is currently delivered to an SMTP gateway that forwards mail sent to these addresses to one account on an Exchange 5.5 sp4 machine. The account on the Exchange server is set up with a server side rule to "When mail arrives from anyone, have server reply with "message". The auto reply works properly if the message is sent from another mailbox on the Exchange server. Logging in to the account that has the auto reply configured, we can send internet email properl...

Remove First Exchange 2003 Server
I have read the MS article on removing the the first server in an exchange 2003 server. The server is the only server in an admin group. I have several other servers in various admin groups. each admin group corresponds to a child domain in our forest. This first server is to be completely decommisioned and the admin group removed and the child domain retired. So.... I have moved the MAPI Public Folder Tree, each admin group has its own OAB and generated by their server. The article says to replicate off pub folders, OAB, and Free Busy. But i think they are assuming that a new se...

Outlook client on terminal server #2
Is it possible to install the outlook client on the terminal server for many different users? Also how can one user view the calendar of many users in CRM? Yes you can install the Online client on a Terminal Server and each user can use the client after configuring their profile. "sqlscott" wrote: > Is it possible to install the outlook client on the terminal server for many > different users? > > Also how can one user view the calendar of many users in CRM? I have installed it and can only get it to work for the user I installed it under, If I log in as an...

Multiple Instances for SQL Server 2005 Express ?
Hi All, Anyone knows is it possible to make multiple instances for SQL Server 2005 Express? If so and how? Thanks! ...

POP Server Keeps Stopping
Hi! My platform is a Windows Server 2003, with Exchange Server 2003 SP2 installed. I need to use the POP features for a couple of users who want to download their e-mails on their laptop or on their PDA. My issue is that the POP Server keeps stopping from time to time. I can see that it is not running any more by opening the Exchange System Manager, and going under: Fisrt Organization > Administrative Groups > First Administrative Group > Servers > MYSERVER > Protocols > POP3 > Default POP3 Virtual Server The Default POP3 Virtual Server is greyed in red indicating that...

Login takes 5 minutes on Exchange Server
This is probably more of an AD/2003 question, but I thought I would post anyway. It takes upwards of 5 minutes to log in to the Exchange server sometimes. After password is entered the screen stays gray/blank/empty before the desktop ever appears. Applying Settings comes up just before the desktop appears. We are not using Roaming Profiles. Any ideas? Tell me I should go back to MCSE 101....... Thanks, Tom tomweho@hotmail.com First off check event viewer. And then check if you have a logon script that is trying anything fancy. For example, if you have a logon script to mapped d...

Reason for various undelivery messages?
I am running Small Business Server 2000 at a law firm. Recently users have been getting undelivery messages. Initially, I didin't think it was a problem with our server, but because of the frequency, I'm having second thoughts. I was hoping for some feedback regarding these messages: The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused. Attempt to resend the message. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it sti...

Urgent linked server error 18456 issue
Please help, my head hurts now! I have 2 SQL Server 2005 instances on separate physical servers. Instance A and instance B I am trying to create a linked server on A to point at B. I get Error 18456 - login failed for user 'Domain\Login'. there is no double-hop issue because I am creating the linked server on server A via terminal services, not via another client. On server A I can connect to instance B via sqlcmd, using Domain \Login. I can also connect to instance B via SSMS as Domain\Login. Please help! There is more information available to you in the St...

Multiplle SMTP virtual servers
I have 4 domain names that we control with a single installation of Exchange 2003 SP2. What I would like to do is have Exchange appear to the internet as being avaiable on all 4 domains simultaneously. Let me describe. When a user from domain1.com sends an email from Outlook 2003, and domain1.com is their only SMTP address, we want those email headers to show the email came from mail.domain1.com. When another user from domain2.com sends an email from Outlook 2003, and domain2.com is their only SMTP address, we want those email headers to show the email came from mail.domain2.com. Cur...

2003 Server Performance Reports Quit ...
Scheduled for 4:30 daily, on one of my SBS 2003 servers, they ceased getting emailed about two weeks ago. The report still comes up in the SBS Console window, but is never received. SMTP sent via localhost does get out. I've re-run 'set up monitoring reports and alerts' 'change server status report settings' and 'change alert notifications' from the console Monitoring and Reporting menu. What shall I try next? Steve <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Scheduled for 4:30 daily, on one of my SBS 2003 servers, they ceased > getting e...

Outlook and Public Folders with new server.
Hi All, I know that this is of my own causing, but I would appreciate some guidance. We used to have a 2000 server with Exchange 2000 SP3. This machine was also out domain controller. We have created a new 2003 server with Exchange 2003, added it to the active directory, moved the mailboxes to the new server and then dcpromo'd the old server back down to a normal machine (and is now powered down). All is fine except Outlook is still looking for the old server when clicking onto Public Folders. We dont use any Public Folders, but i think there may have been a couple in there as a resu...

ODBC driver Windows 2008 R2 Server
Hi newsgroup, I have installed Microsoft Office 2007 professional on a Windows 2008 R2 Server! Now I try to make a odbc connection with microsoft odbc for oracle driver. But when I open the odbc manager and I try to add a new odbc connection then is the shortlist empty. How can I install the microsoft odbc for oracle driver on this machine? Thanks Andreas It should be included with the oracle installer, or you can search the web for ODAC. "Andreas Sperling" wrote: > Hi newsgroup, > > I have installed Microsoft Office 2007 professional on a...

Activating SQL Server Reporting Services Failed
When installing CRM 3.0 y get this error: Activating SQL Server Reporting Services Failed. Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server https://publishing.Secintcon.local/reportServer. Error: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. Any help would be appreciated. R.P. Try browsing to the URL outside of the installation, to make sure you have the URL correct... Boolean1 "Richard P" <RichardP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:009EE8BD-B590-4C9D-8A5E-EDACAF71CB02@microsoft.com... > When installing CRM 3.0 y get this...

Converting Access Queries to Run on an Oracle server
Hello; I have an access db front end and sql server backend. how painful is it to convert this to work on an oracle server backend. Any help would be much appreciated Thanks If your queries are located in Access (rather than in the SQL-Server backend), you don't really need to do anything. When you link to the tables in <fill in your backend server here>, the ODBC connection handles the translation. I believe you can simply "point to" (link to) the new tables and start running Access queries. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "Rocky5&quo...

SBS 2003 > 2008 migration
I have a migration in progress that is not very far in the process. The old 2003 server has been prepped, the answer file created and the new server installed (and named, and joined to the network of course as part of the unattended install) however for some reason the partitions on the destination server got all boogered up. I have a 300 GB C drive, a 2 GB D drive and a 100 GB E drive. Windows is installed to the C of course. However that is not idea for a lot of reasons and we want to redo the server with properly sized partitions. Can I re-run the install on the destinatio...

2008 Server Remote Apps
Is anyone using 2008 Server RemoteApps for Great Plains yet? I'm looking for some tips and tricks on getting GP10 working as a remote app on 2008 Server. I have GP loaded and have been testing it out with various users. What is the best way to give each RemoteApp user their own dex.ini? or Is there a way to blank out the "Last User" in the login screen? Also, when you export a smartlist to Excel, it spins up the Excel loaded on the server. Is there a way to re-direct that to the local Excel or at least have the save destination set to the users local drive instead of the ...

Any particular reason why a WH_CBT would not see all events?
I am trying to monitor Window creation through a CBT hook. The hook procedures are in a DLL and there is a fn in the DLL to hook/unhook from an app. I have added OutputDebugString() calls in the DLL to see what happens. Currently playing with Sidney Chong's IdleTracker to get a feel for the hooks before doing the real app. Problem is that all I get are the create window calls from my own app. Nothing else?? This is the callback, with the uninteresting parts removed: LRESULT CALLBACK CBTProc(int nCode, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) { CHAR szBuf[128]; CHAR szCode[128]; ...

migrating exch 2K to 2003 on different server
I am installing a 2003 server with exch 2003 into an existing 2K domain with exch 2K. I would like to migrate the exch data from the 2K machine to the 2003 machine. The 2K machine will then be removed from the domain. What tools/processes can I use to accomplish this? Thank You!! i'll try to remember how i did it i've only done it once install the 2003 server and you have to run a couple of commands first before making it domain controller to extend the schema (ms knowledgebase explains that) then once the 2003 machine is running then install exchange (i think another comman...

OWA (Exchange 2000 server) not allowing SOME users proper authentication?
Windows 2000 server - fully patched. Exchange 2000 - fully patched. Just noticed the problems TODAY. Some (a select few with little in common) can access the exchange server in every way BUT OWA. Doesn't matter what computer they use, if how they are logged in, etc - they just cannot access OWA.. Just keeps asking for their username and password. We have tried different computers with different configurations, on each configuration there are users that successfully log into OWA - but the same users that fail on one configuration fail on all others. Even tried using IE on the server its...

SQL Server 2005 Performance Dashboard
I have installed the SQL Server 2005 Performance Dashboard on my production server below in an Index that the application wanted to add to my GP database. I contacted GP Support but was not able to get a clear answer so I am posting it here. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. CREATE INDEX missing_index_263 ON [DEC01].[dbo].[PK010033] ([ITEMNMBR], [MRPISSUEDATE_I], [MRPISSUETIME_I], [LOCNCODE]) INCLUDE ([MANUFACTUREORDER_I], [SEQ_I], [MANUFACTUREORDERST_I], [PPN_I], [ROUTINGNAME_I], [RTSEQNUM_I], [MRPAMOUNT_I], [MRPAMOUNT2_I], [SUGGESTEDQTY_I], [ALLOCATEDATEI], [ALLOCATETIMEI]...

Restore exchange server 2003
I am trying to restore my exchange server 2003 databases to a test server that has an empty newly installed copy of exchange server 2003. The test server is in a different directory from the active server and the organization names are the same between the two; i am using arcserve 11.1 on the backup server. I am putting the backup server on a segregated lan with the test exchange server when i am doing the restore. So far, i am getting an arcserve error 'Failed to write to database(DBName=First Storage Group\c\program files......priv1.edb)mailbox store(servername)EC=(test server...