Re: Outlook not opening...<Solved> Long post

For those that are interested I have solved the problem I had as per my
previous mail.

> I'm having problems with Outlook 2k AND Outlook 97, neither of which
> will open on my Windows XP system. I have run Outlook 2k for some
> time now with no problem until a session of installing some Hotfixes.
> The next day it wouldn't open. I tried '97 on the offchance that
> would work but got the same problem. I have a 2 PC network and I link
> to the .PST file on the other PC (outlook is fine on there).
> I have tried the suggestions to the other people on this list but to
> no avail. Any help would be much appreciated as I just can't get to
> the bottom of it.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mark

I had tried the'renaming outcmd.dat' fix that had previously been suggested
but that hadn't worked. In desperation I resolved it as follows.

WARNING... This fix involves deleting registry keys and strings and extreme
caution should be taken to delete the correct ones otherwise you may screw
up your windows system. This worked for me but I will not be responsible for
anything happening on your own pc.

1. ensure you have all of your email account details (account name,
password, server names etc)
2. go to start-control box - mail and delete all of the profiles in there
(the fix may well work without this step but this is exactly what I did).
3. Uninstall Outlook.
4. Got to start - run- regedit
5. press ctrl+f to open up the 'find' dialogue box
6. type the work 'outlook' (without the speechmarks)
7. press return or click the find next button
8. when the result is hilighted look at it and if it is an Outlook
reference, then delete it... DO NOT delete anything that says 'OUTLOOK
EXPRESS' as the string or path. Also, there is a font called 'Outlook' so
don't delete references to that.
9. press F3 then repeat the process until you have worked your way through
the registry. There are a lot of references so this is likely to take some
time, but continue till the end.
10. when finished close the regedit window and restart.
11. when back into window, reinstall Outlook.
12. reboot
13. when you start outlook you will have to type in and set up all of your
email account details as if it is the first time it has been installed.
During this stage you can link to your old .pst file and you should have all
your messages when outlook opens.

I can't stress enough, how careful you have to be when playing around with
the registry as one wrong move could prevent windows from loading or all
sorts of other things happening. Having said that I did accidently delete
two outlook express strings but these seemed to have no effect on OE and I
was able to open it and export the messages with no problems...I was lucky.

No doubt one of the Guru's on the list will tell me I only had to delete one
or two registry strings to achieve the same effect but with no information,
this is better than nothing.

Hope this helps someone

Cheers
Mark