Question about deleting mails with attachments

Hi,

I have migrate from Eudora. After using Outlook 2007 for a while, it
is not clear to me what happens with an e-mail with one or more
attachments when you delete it. Do the attachments stay enbedded
inside the PST file or they are also deleted ? Same for outgoing
mails

Thank you

Bangali

"Bangali" <bangali.doctor@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have migrate from Eudora. After using Outlook 2007 for a while, it
> is not clear to me what happens with an e-mail with one or more
> attachments when you delete it. Do the attachments stay enbedded
> inside the PST file or they are also deleted ? Same for outgoing
> mails
>
> Thank you
>
> Bangali

Unlike Eudora, Outlook keeps the attachment with the email itself, rather
than in a separate folder. So when you delete an email with an attachment
and then empty the deleted items folder, the whole thing is gone, including
the attachment.

HTH

0
gbplinux (1141)
4/30/2007 3:13:45 PM
Bangali <bangali.doctor@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have migrate from Eudora. After using Outlook 2007 for a while, it
> is not clear to me what happens with an e-mail with one or more
> attachments when you delete it. Do the attachments stay enbedded
> inside the PST file or they are also deleted ? Same for outgoing
> mails

If you delete a message with attchaments and then empty the Deleted Items
folder, the attachments go away as well because attachments are a part of
the message body.  The space they occupied in the PST is marked as available
for reuse (so-called "white space") and is release to the operating system
if you compact the PST in Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/30/2007 3:17:01 PM
Brian,

> If you delete a message with attchaments and then empty the Deleted Items
> folder, the attachments go away as well because attachments are a part of
> the message body.  The space they occupied in the PST is marked as available
> for reuse (so-called "white space") and is release to the operating system
> if you compact the PST in Outlook.

Thanks a lot for your clarifcations

Bangali

Another multiple criteria/column question
Ok, first post and pretty much a new user to Excel. I have two sheets that I am working with, trying to recall data from one to the other that meets criteria. In a nutshell: Sheet 1 contains a column of unique values (col A), cols C,D, and E are where I want to insert the formula to find data on Sheet 2. Sheet 2 contains 4 columns, A contains multiple occurrences of each value (from Sheet1, column A), each with its own timestamp in column D. On Sheet1, in column C, I want to find a value on Sheet2 in column A and return the timestamp in column D. I know I can use VLOOKUP for this. =VLO...

Format Issue of Windows Mail and M.S. Group
Hi: When clicking to open any mails including this site, MS Newsgroup, top right pane of 'X' part is not visible. In the past, I used 'Shove-It' program that was found on the web-site, priced $15 that corrected this issue. However, this program is no longer effective, thus it went back to the original format, .... not fully opening content of mail of right side of pane, although I can read any mails by using 'maximizing bvutton' to open in full. Any imputs on this, above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, "Winter10" <Winter10No...

Array Function Question
I have little knowledge of Array Function. I'm updating a spreadsheet developed by someone else. One array formula trying to lookup data in another spreadsheet looks like below: {=SUM(IF([Data]Data!$A$3:$A$70>=DATEVALUE("01/01/2006"),IF(Data]Data!$A$3:$A$70<=DATEVALUE("03/01/2006"),IF(Data]Data!B$1:$AR$1=A5,Data]Data!$B$3:$AR$38))))} I was told to press Ctrl/Shift/Enter to refrsh the data and it worked last time(3 months ago). But this time the cell won't refresh but shows the formula text. The formula should be fine. Did I miss anything to refresh...

Outlook Web Access attachment problem
We have a program that will generate a .snp file and then email it to whatever recipient it needs to go to. If they receive the email in Outlook it will allow them to open the file properly with the Snapshot viewer. However, if they go to the same email in OWA and try to save the attachment, it attempts to save it as an .mdb file. Why would OWA ignore the original extension and try to give it a different one? "Joe Giddings" <j_nospam_giddings@thehammocksource.com> wrote in news:jI9gd.11726$ta5.6952@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net: > We have a program that will genera...

mail sending problem
Hi , I am very new in the exchange server just now I have deployed Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 at my organization now i have some problem in that . I am able to send mail outside the domain except yahoo .whenever I am sending mail from my exchange mail id to any yahoo mail id it is showing me mail has been sent but on yahoo id it is not delivering even I am not getting the DFR, second I wants to know that can we take the backup of single mail box (boxs) and please tell me step by step how can we take backup (at least the location ) Thanks in Advance Madi The most probable reason is t...

Receive mails from one adr. to several computers
Hello. I have a problem receiving mails from one adr. to 5 computers in a network. One of the computers get's all the mails. They should all receive the mails. All the machines run's win Xp and office Xp. Outlook on all computers are set to store the mails on the server, even though they have been received on a computer. When I check my WebMail, the messages are still there! Please help. Nima ...

Can't send e-mails from Outlook 2003 after SP1
After installing service pack SP1 for Office 2003, I can't send e-mails anymore. They are stuck in the outbox folder. The error message states that the connection to the server was interrupted. I did not change any settings and checking them confirms that everything is as it should be. Did anyone else experience the same issue and how did you resolve it? Thanks for your help Matthias See if you can manually move those messages from your Outbox and then check all your settings again. "Mattliusa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cb7401c48a5...

Question about SetCurSel()
Hi, I have a combo box control specified with the drop down (not drop list) style. The list box portion of the control is populated with data from a recordset to allow the user to select from a list of pre-loaded items. Or they may choose to type in a new entry. As the user enters data into the edit box portion of the control, the program checks after each keystroke to see if the entry data matches anything currently in the list. If it does, the drop down list appears and the list item closely or exactly matching the data that has been entered is selected and appears in the edit ...

Incoming mail server problem
I use supanet for the internet and recently had to clear off a load of viruses and worms from my computer. Computer is clean now. I've run up to date spybot. adaware and cleaned all viruses with Mcaffee internet security as well as running stinger. Sasser, and W32 pate.b were included. Have also completed all windows updates. Everything is working fine now except my email. When I restart the computer my incoming mail server keeps changing from pop.supanet.com to a strange number. 9eg 17.02.01.10 or something similar) It also changes the user name from 3612 to 3612@supanet.com (It adds su...

Question on multiple NICs used by Exchange 2003
I have a requirement to bind four virtual SMTP servers to unique IP addresses. The server has four NICs and each IP address is uniquely bound to a virtual SMTP server. I used telnet to confirm that the appropriate virtual SMTP server responds to each assigned IP address. In case you are wondering why I did not use virtual IP addresses- Per Microsoft, the virtual IP address schema will not satisfy our requirement that the same IP address be used for sending (relaying) the e-mail that received it. Their recommendation was to have a NIC for each virtual SMTP server. The problem that I am ex...

time formula question
This formula works great if the ending time is before 0:00. =IF(D21>0,B21/INDIRECT("Sheet1!E"&MAX((A21>=$C$9:$C$11)*(A21<=$E$9:$E$11)* {2;3;4})),"") $C$9:$C$11 is my starting time i.e. 20:00 $E$9:$E$11 is my ending time i.e. 04:30 How can I get this to work if A21 = 20:15? TIA, David Try this: =IF(D21>0,B21/INDIRECT("Sheet1!E"&MAX((($C$9:$C$11<$E$9:$E$11)*(A21>=$C$9:$C$11)*(A21<=$E$9:$E$11)+(($C$9:$C$11>=$E$9:$E$11)*((A21>=$C$9:$C$11)+(A21<=$E$9:$E$11)))*{2;3;4})),"") HTH -- AP "David" <dfizer@r...

how to delete Microsoft office
How can i delete microsoft office from my computer. i downloaded the demo but i don't want it anymore. Thank you "Dany" <Dany@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2B2C1A8-2A65-4E97-BE3B-EC2DC2D42107@microsoft.com... > How can i delete microsoft office from my computer. i downloaded the demo > but > i don't want it anymore. Thank you Control Panel, Add and Remove Programs, Microsoft Office, Remove. Dany Or if you cannot as Jeff posted then see the below http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218 -- Peter Please Reply to ...

Backup MX questions
After nearly a week of downtime for my Exchange2k server a few weeks ago, I have realized the need for a backup MX server, basically someone who can catch my mail when my smtp server is unavailable and then allow me to seemlessly pick it up or deliver it to me when I am back up again. What is the best way to accomplish this? Mike <>< On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:41:17 -0500, "Mike Strout" <m i k e s t r o u t @ h o t m a i l . c o m> wrote: >After nearly a week of downtime for my Exchange2k server a few weeks ago, I >have realized the need for a backup MX ser...

Outlook Express blocking some attachments
My boss is sending me perfectly safe attachments, usually graphics, and Express blocks them so I can't open while letting through other attachments in the same email. What can I do to fix this? Thanks! Tools->Options->Security. I have lost count, but this must be close the 100,000th repeat of the same question. Next time, try google. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find so...

Mail is queued after adding 2nd server
I was hoping someone might have some insight into this issue. I've just completed adding a 2nd server to my first site. All mail between the two servers is getting queued; doesn't matter which server it originates from. Mail to the original server from the internet as well as auto generated emails is still functioning correctly. We're running Exchg 2003 SP2 and Win2k3 on both servers. I've also gone through the Best Practices and fixed the minor issues it listed. Thanks, Chris Can you telnet to port 25 from each server successfully? Are the servers located in the same su...

supplier info gets deleted
I have run a report for items in a category in order to organize them into the proper categories & departments I double click the item look up - properties opens - I change the deparment &/or category - OK When I look at these items again - the supplier information is gone - I have to reopen each one and re-enter the supplier! Can anyone tell me why & how to avoid this happening? ALSO in my category report I am finding some suppliers blank - but when I open the properties the supplier is there - I have to delete the supplier & re-add the supplier. Anyone know why &am...

Outlook 2003 unable to open mails or contacts
After upgrading from Office XP to Office 2003 I am not=20 bale to access any item in Outlook 2003.=20 The Error message which will be displayed if I try to open=20 a message is: Microsoft Office Outlook: Out of memory or system resources. Close sone windows or=20 programs and try again. Microsoft Office 2003 Professional is running on two=20 different operating systems: One is running XP professional,=20 The other is running Windows server 2003 enterprise=20 edition. Always the same result. If I reinstall Outlook from Office=20 XP Professional I am able to read all mails without any=20 fau...

deleting rows #2
i have200 rows in sheet- there are lets say 100 rows the title shipping i have another 100 rows with the title payments. they are in mixed in and not grouped together otherwise i could highlight them all together and delete-how do i delete all the ones that say shipping without clicking on each individual row. I am on excel 2007 trial cb wrote: > i have200 rows in sheet- there are lets say 100 rows the title shipping > i have another 100 rows with the title payments. > they are in mixed in and not grouped together otherwise i could highlight > them all together and delete-how d...

Checking mails with MS Outlook closed?!
Hi, is it possible to have MS Outlook notify me of new accounts in a minimized status. i.e. i have a low memory and i don't want extra programs to be opened on my computer. i want to have outlook closed still i want it to to checkup my imcoming mails and provided i should have new mails it would popup and notify me accordingly. is that possible in outlook? if not, is there any program that could do that? regards, eqbal Outlook can't do anything if it's not opened. Is the mailbox you're checking a POP3 mailbox? If so, there are a number of very small programs that c...

deleting duplicate value in columns
What is the best method to delete rows containing dulicate (same number) numbers in a column (Excel 2000)? The workbook has over 30,000 rows which makes it impractical to sort and then delete the duplicates page by page. Thanks in advance. Hi Jim have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteDuplicateRows Frank Jim Brokenshire wrote: > What is the best method to delete rows containing dulicate (same > number) numbers in a column (Excel 2000)? The workbook has over > 30,000 rows which makes it impractical to sort and then delete the > duplicates page b...

Outlook 2007 Outlook.exe deleting itself
I seem to be having a very strange problem. When I start Outlook 2007, it stalls and then deletes the Outlook.exe file. This is a relatively new problem (within the last week). All other files seem to be present. If I keep a full copy of Outlook.ext in another folder, that is also deleted. In some cases, after restoring the file, Outlook will start to come up but then stall and die. In other cases, it won't won't even start to come up but just deletes itself. I've run several different types of anti-virus software including AVG, Avira, Spybot and none seem to find an issue or he...

losing attachments
When sending a file-as an attachment to an outlook email-to a client the client gets the e-mail with no attachment. This client is the only person this happens to. Other people with in my workgroup and domain can send to her with out issue. I've checked the firewall, the virus protection software, and the outlook application but can not find anything wrong. For what its worth I am using office 200 on a winxp pro box connecting to the internet on a fractional T1 line. GMW and the recipient is using what mail client? the reason that I ask is that if you are sending in Rich Text Form...

file attachment
when I try to attach a file to an email, outlook shuts down before I can even choose a file to attach. How do I solve this? ...

Warning off by deleting a sheet
Hi Is there away to set warning off when i deleting a sheet in Code Sorry i have found the solution "alvin Kuiper" skrev: > Hi > Is there away to set warning off when i deleting a sheet in Code > ...

Deleting data from a table through a query
I have a database that is designed to update a list of credit union members from a master list so that vehicle insurance coverage can be tracked. I have been able to run an unmatched query to achieve a list of old members who have either paid off their vehicles or moved their loans to other locations. What I need to do now is delete these people from the main table. I have the cascade update and delete funtion in place to delete the vehicle information once the member is deleted, but I don't know how to take the information found in the unmatched query and delete those members fr...