Public Folder link to Excel File

Hi -

I have a user that claims that he had a shortcut to a spreadsheet "in
his public folders" at his old job. Obviously, he's an end user that
may or may not know what he's talking about.... I'm trying to figure
out the best way to accomodate him.

He basically wants an Excel file stored on a shared folder to be
available to all user as either a shortcut, or a link in the public
folders (can't post to a folder as he will be updating the sheet
regularly). When a user clicks on the shortcut/link, it would just
launch Excel and display the file.

Anybody have any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?
0
bigbrorpi (1)

You could try this:

1) Create a shortcut on the Desktop to the Excel file on a network volume,
using a UNC mapping.

2) Drag that shortcut into the public folder.

Or:

1) Create a new post item in the folder.

2a) In the body of the item, insert the file, choosing to insert as a link.

Or:

2b) Insert a hyperlink into the body of the item using the
file://\\servername\sharename\filename.xls syntax.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"BigBro" wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I have a user that claims that he had a shortcut to a spreadsheet "in
> his public folders" at his old job. Obviously, he's an end user that
> may or may not know what he's talking about.... I'm trying to figure
> out the best way to accomodate him.
>
> He basically wants an Excel file stored on a shared folder to be
> available to all user as either a shortcut, or a link in the public
> folders (can't post to a folder as he will be updating the sheet
> regularly). When a user clicks on the shortcut/link, it would just
> launch Excel and display the file.
>
> Anybody have any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

can anyone tell how to update automatically an excel sheet in public folder.
i have created a public folder and posted an excel file on it. now whenever
i make any change in the exel file, it doesn't update the file in public
folder
need help and reply on abid.memon@live.com

"Sue Mosher [MVP]" wrote:

> You could try this:
>
> 1) Create a shortcut on the Desktop to the Excel file on a network volume,
> using a UNC mapping.
>
> 2) Drag that shortcut into the public folder.
>
> Or:
>
> 1) Create a new post item in the folder.
>
> 2a) In the body of the item, insert the file, choosing to insert as a link.
>
> Or:
>
> 2b) Insert a hyperlink into the body of the item using the
> file://\\servername\sharename\filename.xls syntax.
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>    Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming:
>      Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators
>     http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54
>

> "BigBro" wrote:
>
> > Hi -
> >
> > I have a user that claims that he had a shortcut to a spreadsheet "in
> > his public folders" at his old job. Obviously, he's an end user that
> > may or may not know what he's talking about.... I'm trying to figure
> > out the best way to accomodate him.
> >
> > He basically wants an Excel file stored on a shared folder to be
> > available to all user as either a shortcut, or a link in the public
> > folders (can't post to a folder as he will be updating the sheet
> > regularly). When a user clicks on the shortcut/link, it would just
> > launch Excel and display the file.
> >
> > Anybody have any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

0
Abid1 (10)
8/3/2009 8:41:01 AM
Abid, this has already been covered in this thread: You need to post a link
in the folder, not the file itself. I gave three different methods for doing
that. Pick the one that suits your scenario best.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"abid" wrote:

> can anyone tell how to update automatically an excel sheet in public folder.
> i have created a public folder and posted an excel file on it. now whenever
> i make any change in the exel file, it doesn't update the file in public
> folder
> need help and reply on abid.memon@live.com
>
> "Sue Mosher [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > You could try this:
> >
> > 1) Create a shortcut on the Desktop to the Excel file on a network volume,
> > using a UNC mapping.
> >
> > 2) Drag that shortcut into the public folder.
> >
> > Or:
> >
> > 1) Create a new post item in the folder.
> >
> > 2a) In the body of the item, insert the file, choosing to insert as a link.
> >
> > Or:
> >
> > 2b) Insert a hyperlink into the body of the item using the
> > file://\\servername\sharename\filename.xls syntax.
> >
> > "BigBro" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi -
> > >
> > > I have a user that claims that he had a shortcut to a spreadsheet "in
> > > his public folders" at his old job. Obviously, he's an end user that
> > > may or may not know what he's talking about.... I'm trying to figure
> > > out the best way to accomodate him.
> > >
> > > He basically wants an Excel file stored on a shared folder to be
> > > available to all user as either a shortcut, or a link in the public
> > > folders (can't post to a folder as he will be updating the sheet
> > > regularly). When a user clicks on the shortcut/link, it would just
> > > launch Excel and display the file.
> > >
> > > Anybody have any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

if the excel sheet is opened, edited and saved while the public folder
remains open it should update (works here every time). if you open it,
change folders and fiddle around then save it, it will not update the
version in the folder.

The safest way is to post a link to the folder and edit the file stored
elsewhere - as long as the users saves the file it is guaranteed to be
updated.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

"abid" <abid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone tell how to update automatically an excel sheet in public
> folder.
> i have created a public folder and posted an excel file on it. now
> whenever
> i make any change in the exel file, it doesn't update the file in public
> folder
> need help and reply on abid.memon@live.com
>
> "Sue Mosher [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You could try this:
>>
>> 1) Create a shortcut on the Desktop to the Excel file on a network
>> volume,
>> using a UNC mapping.
>>
>> 2) Drag that shortcut into the public folder.
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> 1) Create a new post item in the folder.
>>
>> 2a) In the body of the item, insert the file, choosing to insert as a
>> link.
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> 2b) Insert a hyperlink into the body of the item using the
>> file://\\servername\sharename\filename.xls syntax.
>> --
>> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>>    Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming:
>>      Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators
>>     http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54
>>

>> "BigBro" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi -
>> >
>> > I have a user that claims that he had a shortcut to a spreadsheet "in
>> > his public folders" at his old job. Obviously, he's an end user that
>> > may or may not know what he's talking about.... I'm trying to figure
>> > out the best way to accomodate him.
>> >
>> > He basically wants an Excel file stored on a shared folder to be
>> > available to all user as either a shortcut, or a link in the public
>> > folders (can't post to a folder as he will be updating the sheet
>> > regularly). When a user clicks on the shortcut/link, it would just
>> > launch Excel and display the file.
>> >
>> > Anybody have any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Using Relative path for XML data file?

How to repair a .dll file in IE8