PST files

Hello,
I have been backing up my laptop Outlook info to PST files each month
and I have about 7 of these PST files and erasing some content like
email right after each backup so as to keep my main Outlook datafile
small for better performance.  However, I just learned to understand
how AutoArchive works and realize the inconvenience in having so many
different files that overlap in data but do have distinct emails and
contacts.  So I would now like to combine all of them into one big
file but I wonder if there is an automated and preferred way to do
this and so that this combination/conversion doesn't copy any
duplicates and only combines one version of each email or contact.

Any suggestions ?
Thank you,
Zorian
0
zorianr (4)

I think you can use the import function of Outlook. When you import those
files, Outlook will give you an option to choose whether you want to import
duplicated items or not.

"Zorian" <zorianr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have been backing up my laptop Outlook info to PST files each month
> and I have about 7 of these PST files and erasing some content like
> email right after each backup so as to keep my main Outlook datafile
> small for better performance.  However, I just learned to understand
> how AutoArchive works and realize the inconvenience in having so many
> different files that overlap in data but do have distinct emails and
> contacts.  So I would now like to combine all of them into one big
> file but I wonder if there is an automated and preferred way to do
> this and so that this combination/conversion doesn't copy any
> duplicates and only combines one version of each email or contact.
>
> Any suggestions ?
> Thank you,
> Zorian

0
henrychang (15)

saving files & downloading from financial institutions
I have Microsoft Money 2004 (unopened box) sitting next to me. I have two questions before I open the box and commit myself (otherwise I'll return it.) 1. My version of Microsoft 2001 will only allow me to save to a floppy or the hard drive. I would like to save to a CD. On 2001, I get the choices "a" drive (floppy) and "c" drive (hard disk) and can not change them. Is it possible to save to a different drive with the 2004 version? 2. When I try to view the article on the Microsoft website listing which financial institutions participate in the online u...

Power Point Viewer 2007 won't open ".pps" files
Using Windows 7, Home Premium, 32 bit. No Office 2007 installed. Using Microsoft Works. Have experienced several issues with Office PPT Viewer 2007. Cleared them, but additionally each time I try to open a .pps file, either from the Desktop or Windows Mail, I receive the following: "C:\Users|AMD\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\content.IE5\E7D22GOW\Gathering of Mustangs and Legends2007.pps is not a valid Win32 application". I have opened this file many times on another computer, so don't think it is an issue with the file. The software has be...

Can't Create a Batch File that's Executable
I'm running Windows Home Premium, SP2. Windows Defender, Spyware Doctor, MBAM, SAS and CCleaner. MS Office 2007. 2 GB of RAM. All WU's are current. System is running fine. I'm having trouble with Win Defender Definitions updates so I'm working via e-mail with MS to reset my Security Settings and Permissions. One of their suggestions is to create a batch file using Run==>Cmd==notepad and have this file contain the following: @echo off subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators...

Unexpected quote marks in exports to tab-delimited files
I am experiencing a problem exporting data to a tab-delimited file. The results of the export cause unexpected (and unwanted) double quotes to appear (apparently) randomly throughout the file. They appear in certain cells - it is replicable, and it's always the same cells - but there appears to be no pattern. This happens regardless of cell format (general v text), and only when exported to a tab-delimited file and viewed from a text viewer such as notepad. Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated. Thanks! David, Those aren't double quotes. They're single quot...

Help needed with Money 2003 files
Hi there, I've been using money 2003 for years even when upgrading to new PC's as I had the original disk. I've just had to rebuild my hard drive and now cannot find the disk anywhere so cannot install Money. As you cannot now buy Money, I've tried downloading the trial version of Money so that I can access all the account details/balances but it says that they're not compatible with earlier versions of money. Is there anything that I can do to get these files open or have I lost all my records for the last 6 years? I'd really appreciate your assistance. Jayne EggHead...

ON as a file container
ON has become my sole work place., I now keep many important PDF files on ON pages. But I am scared of doing this. I am afraid one day ON will loose these files. For example because I change the location of the page which contains PDF files. How reasonable is it to keep PDF files embedded in ON? Now you will advise me to keep backups of PDF files in separate windows folders but this I don't want to do. The reason is that this is cumbersome. Each time I inset a PDF on a ON page I need to create a windows folder that should have a logical name and location. But ON is there exac...

Can't view template file in Tools>Options>File Locations
I have created a template and saved it to a shared folder. When users who have access to this folder try to add this template to their 'On my computer...' template list by selecting Tools>Options>File Locations>Workgroup templates>Modify, the template is not visible in the 'Modify Location' window. The template is visible in Windows Explorer, and when users navigate to its location in Word using File>New. Why would the template not appear in the 'Modify Location' window? Any ideas for how I can make it appear? In that dialog, you will no...

Moving attachments automatically to a file folder
Hi, Is there an easy way to configure Outlook 2000 to move attachments from certain messages automatically to a file folder. I mean a normal file folder in Windows, outside Exchange/Outlook environment. I would like to create an archive for attachments, and this archive would have to be accessible by several users, at the same time - so a .pst file is not a good option. It seems that I cannot use a rule or auto archive function to perform this, as they do not allow me to specify a target folder outside the Exchange environment. I do not have permissions to change the configuration o...

NK2 files
Article Q287623 asks us to clear the NK2 files on the system to get my automatic address completion to work. I have searched and searched (with display hidden files option turned on) and am unable to find any *.NK2 files on the system. Any thoughts would be appreciated. This may be a dumb question, but you are using Outlook 2002, correct? Do you have the option to suggest names while completing... checked in Tools | Options | E-Mail Options | Advanced E-Mail Options? -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstic...

Files opening with a number appended
Hi all, Hope you can help. I have a Macro in an excel file that looks for and opens another named excel file based on some variables. For example a new spreadsheet is opened today called 100305 (based on the date), the macro will then look for a file from the previous week (030305), open it, look for a certain value and copy it into the new sheet. However from time to time I'm finding that when the macro opens the previous file it appends a '1' to the end of the name (eg 0303051) and therefore my macro fails as it can't reference the file properly in order to find the requi...

How do you ignor File Not Found Dialog Popup ?
Workbooks("Master.xls").Worksheets("UpdatedList").Cells(rw, 2).FormulaR1C1 = "='[" & FileName & "]PointCount'!R2C5" The above is my line of code that inserts a formula into a cell in my Master.xls workbook the formula links to a value in the worksheet called PointCount from multiple different workbooks. the problem is that if the program encounters a workbook that does not have a worksheet named "PointCount" I get a pop up FileNotFound window asking me to browse to the file that has the worksheet "PointCount&...

Corrupt pst file #5
I was using Outlook 2000 and two days ago it stopped working, saying I have a corrupt pst file. I have used PST2GB and then Inbox Repair tool about a million times but Inbox Repair tool gets an error at the end. I have tried a program called Kernel for Outlook but that didn't work very good. A bunch of stuff was missing and then Outlook 2000 wouldn't start any more. So I went and bought Office 2007 and I still can't import, open or do anything else with my old files. I can't begin to explain how important it is that I get my Contacts and Calendar back. I know that...

Upload of file containing images hyperlinked to web page. #2
Hi there. I am using Publisher 2003 with internet explorer using XP SP3. I have prepared my web page and I have kept the images that are hyperlinked to the page in a separate foler from the publication file (which I have not yet published to a web site format). I already know that the FTP protocol from my host does not work and I have to load the files one at a time. I create the directory and within that directory I upload my individual files. My question is: Almost all of the pictures are linked to larger pictures or descriptions. During the creation of the web site I have kept...

Import Data from the different worksheet in the same excel file.
-I would like to create a table. -The table will have two columns. -The data in each cell is a summation of a number of cells in another worksheet. -In my table, there are quite a few rows and hence I can't create this table manually. -I created the first value by writing the formula for summation and clicking on each different cell values in another worksheet and tried to copy the formula in the other cells for all the worksheets. -Its not switching the worksheets automatically, it just switches the column in the same worksheet. -Below is the table I am trying to create.And I want to gen...

Any possible ways to shrink Excel files with Macros?
Hi, When there are macros in a file, does it increase the file size significantly? If yes, how is it possible for me to reduce the file size without deleting any of my information/macros? Regards, Karen I've never thought that macro code increased the size in typical workbooks. I'd guess that the amount of data in each worksheet has much more to do with the size of the workbook. (Well, except for those workbooks that are mostly code (addins and the like).) But one thing that can increase the size of workbooks is when excel sets the last used cell. If you hit ctrl-end, do you go ...

Opening a word file opens "New" every time
Every time I open a file from a folder by double-clicking it opens as "New" and I'm unable to save it over the same file. In order to open it I have to right-click and click "open". The "New" opention from the drop down menu is also bolded. How do I change the default to "open" not "open new" ? -- Danish.inc First try the simple fix: Click the Windows Start menu and choose Run, type in winword /r (note the space before the slash), and click OK. That will rewrite Word's registry entries and may fix the pr...

corrupt file
when i try to open a excel 2000 worksheet it says that the file i corrupt .Is there anyway i can still open it -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Phil! Here's a resource post on recovery of corrupted files. I've checked out all the links referred to. Additional comments and suggested additions are welcome. Some of the most frantic and desperate posts come for this and they are frequently in tears of happiness when they get a solution. These points cover corrupted files. Don't confuse these with problems with slow opening, processing or closing of Excel or wit...

Sharing pst file
Hi, can you share one pst file for two different users? thanks. TH Yes and no...you can point both users to the same .PST file but they cannot both have it open at the same time, at least not without a 3rd party tool. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm lists at least one such tool. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:0b5e01c3bb9b$962d9300$a001280a@phx.gbl, Tobin Halim wrote: > Hi, can you share one pst file for two different users? > t...

how do I open a file to make corrections
I have written a file and need to make corrections and can not open it! Publisher 2007? There is a hotfix available for your problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976177/en-us -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "MarchelleB" <MarchelleB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76472C26-5FAE-4454-B390-D3F85BD89FF7@microsoft.com... > I have written a file and need to make corrections and can not open it! On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 19:27:33 -0700, MarchelleB <MarchelleB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have written a file and ne...

Importing multiple csv files
I have 3000 csv files that i need to import into the data base as different tabel. all the fields have to be text in the tabels and the tables name be in capital. is there a way to do it faster than what i am doing right now by importing one file at a time. thanks You can loop through all of the files in a folder using the Dir function. That will give you the name of each of the files, and you can then use TransferText to import each table. Dim strFolder As String Dim strFile As String Dim strTable As String strFolder = "C:\Some Folder\" strFile = Dir(strFolder & &q...

Disabling formulas and turning file into text only
I have a workbook in which there are formulas that pull through from other workbooks. I want to make the workbook so that it doesnt ask me to update the formulas everytime and make it so that only the values show up(formulas are no longer needed once computed) Is there a way to do that besides copying and pasting as special? Not 100% sure, but I think you can do this by going edit/links/break links. >-----Original Message----- >I have a workbook in which there are formulas that pull through from other >workbooks. I want to make the workbook so that it doesnt ask me to updat...

Error opening up Microsoft Money 2004 money file
I have been using Microsoft Money 2004 almost every day for several years now, but now all of a sudden when I try to log into my standard .mny file, it gives me an error stating 'The sign-in name you entered is not associated with this file. Please enter the correct sign-in name or open another file'. I have been using the same sign-in name, my hotmail address, for years. When I try to repair the file or select 'Skip Sign-In' it prompts me for a password, so I enter my password, and it still gives me this same sign-in name error. I can't get into Money at all to ...

Quicken file conversion #2
Have tried converting .qif file from Quicken Deluxe 98 (version 7.0), but when Money 2004 Standard on my new Dell 4600 starts the conversion, saying "Large file, may take a few minutes", it shows a progress bar for about 3 seconds, then gives up and says, "Unable to convert file." Dell isn't supporting the installed MS Money on the new computer. Any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, Peter Canaday wrote: >Have tried converting .qif file from Quicken Deluxe 98 >(version 7.0), but when Money 2004 Standard on my new >Dell 4600 starts the conversion, saying...

Open CSV files without auto-formatting values
Hello, I am having difficulties while opening CSV files: If there is value i.e "6.1" which is decimal, Excel interprets it as date = 01. June (According to regional date settings) If there is value "16.04.07" which is actually date 2007-04-16, Excel again converts it according to regional settings, and finally there is 2016.04.07 Is there any settings or macros available, so I can open CSV file, and treat each column just as TEXT ? without any auto-guessings about cell type. Import wizard is not good solution this time. Also playing with regional settings is not ...

antivirus removed active log file, db now labeled inconsistent.
Hi At 10:30 on Friday night Mcaffee labled th E03.log file for 2 mailbox stores as a virus and then tried removing it from the log file folder. This caused the 2 stores to dismount. In my panic I copied the quarantined file over the E03.log file. Stupid, I know. The databases are have now been labled as inconsistent. NO BACKUPS!! We were in the process of changing our backup system so the last valid backup is for the 12 of June. The other mailbox stores have been remounted and are operational. As mail was starting to queue and we are a 24/7 company I spent 5 hours recreating user accounts....