problem with Outlook making a network connection?

Good afternoon!

I have not seen this one before, but it is happening.  Here are the details
(brief):

*Client has e-mail hosted off-site (horrible company, moving to Exchange in
the summer)...hosting party just moved the mailboxes from an overtaxed
server that was causing a lot of problems to another server this passed
weekend.
*We have updated the host 'mail' record in the FLZ on the internal DNS
Servers in this environment to reflect the change in IP Address (from
xxx.xxx.xxx.26 to xxx.xxx.xxx.21).
*all users in the environment are using Outlook 2003 SP2 running on Windows
XP Pro SP2 and the .pst file for each user is located on the Server
*no issues -EXCEPT- with two users.

That issue is that they are not receiving e-mails with any consistency.  We
have done the following:

*verified that on the server we are able to ping both 'mail.mydomain.org' as
well as 'mail'.  We are.  And, the correct IP Address is returned
(xxx.xxx.xxx.21).
*verified that on the client in question we are able to ping both
'mail.mydomain.org' as well as 'mail'.  We are (correct IP Address
returned).
*verified that the user has access to the .pst file.
*verified that the user has access to the Internet.
*run a repair installation of Office 2003.
*checked the event logs - absolutely nothing!!!!!!!

When we go into the Outlook client and go to Tools | E-mail Accounts |
Change and then click on "Test settings" it fails at the first step - verify
network connection.

Anyone have any ideas on what caused this and how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Cary

Cary W. Shultz wrote:

> That issue is that they are not receiving e-mails with any
> consistency.  We have done the following:
>
> *verified that on the server we are able to ping both
> 'mail.mydomain.org' as well as 'mail'.  We are.  And, the correct IP
> Address is returned (xxx.xxx.xxx.21).
> *verified that on the client in question we are able to ping both
> 'mail.mydomain.org' as well as 'mail'.  We are (correct IP Address
> returned).
> *verified that the user has access to the .pst file.
> *verified that the user has access to the Internet.
> *run a repair installation of Office 2003.
> *checked the event logs - absolutely nothing!!!!!!!
>
> When we go into the Outlook client and go to Tools | E-mail Accounts |
> Change and then click on "Test settings" it fails at the first step -
> verify network connection.

IMAP or POP?  Can you telnet to mail.mydomain.org 110 (or 143 for IMAP)?
Can  OE (or other POP/IMAP client) connect and download mail?  Is there a
web client that you can use to verify that there is actually mail there?

--
f.h.

0
f.h.muffman (751)
3/20/2007 5:00:45 PM
Sorry,

Should have commented that this is POP3 and that there is indeed a web
interface that confirms that there is indeed e-mail in the mailbox that has
not made it's way into the Outlook Inbox and that I am able to telnet into
the server.

We have not yet tried OE.....kinda wanted to avoid doing that......but would
definitely verify that there is an Outlook issue.

Thanks,

Cary

Cary W. Shultz wrote:

>>> That issue is that they are not receiving e-mails with any
>>> consistency.  We have done the following:
>>>
>>> *verified that on the server we are able to ping both
>>> 'mail.mydomain.org' as well as 'mail'.  We are.  And, the correct IP
>>> Address is returned (xxx.xxx.xxx.21).
>>> *verified that on the client in question we are able to ping both
>>> 'mail.mydomain.org' as well as 'mail'.  We are (correct IP Address
>>> returned).
>>> *verified that the user has access to the .pst file.
>>> *verified that the user has access to the Internet.
>>> *run a repair installation of Office 2003.
>>> *checked the event logs - absolutely nothing!!!!!!!
>>>
>>> When we go into the Outlook client and go to Tools | E-mail
>>> Accounts | Change and then click on "Test settings" it fails at the
>>> first step - verify network connection.
>>
>> IMAP or POP?  Can you telnet to mail.mydomain.org 110 (or 143 for
>> IMAP)? Can  OE (or other POP/IMAP client) connect and download mail?
>> Is there a web client that you can use to verify that there is
>> actually mail there?
>
> Should have commented that this is POP3 and that there is indeed a web
> interface that confirms that there is indeed e-mail in the mailbox
> that has not made it's way into the Outlook Inbox and that I am able
> to telnet into the server.
>
> We have not yet tried OE.....kinda wanted to avoid doing
> that......but would definitely verify that there is an Outlook issue.

Just to be 100% sure, by 'tenet into the server', are you telnetting into
110, or just to a shell account?

As for other POP3 client, I'd recommend going with one you are intimately
familiar with, so you can be 150% sure you check the 'Leave a copy of mail
on server' box.  However, if you're comfortable doing POP3 stuff in telnet,
just do it in telnet, it's roughly the same thing.

Is there any discernable rhyme or reason as to when Outlook does manage to
download mail?  Is it only at startup/login of the machine?

--
f.h.

0
f.h.muffman (751)
3/20/2007 5:45:57 PM
F.H.,

I am telnetting correctly.   Just open up a command prompt and enter 'telnet
mail.mydomain.org 110'.  I can do this at the machine in question, at any
other machine in their environment or at any machine here ( we are
consultants and we can remotely access any machine in their
environment....just to explain that last part!).

I can telnet in to do 'the mail stuff' or use a pop3 client (like OE).  And,
thanks for the tip on 'leave on the server'.  Knew that one (learned the
hard way about six/seven years ago!) but someone else reading this post
might not!!!!!

As to when Outlook eventually does get the e-mail ----- there is no
discernable rhyme or reason.  I can send from her outlook and it goes
immediately (okay.....I did not know that when I initiated this post).  It
is the receiving that takes awhile.  For example, two hours ago I sent her a
test e-mail from her account (Outlook).  During the 15 minutes or so that I
was remotely controlling her computer that e-mail did not come in.  Just 20
minutes ago I was remotely controlling her computer again (she is at lunch)
and that e-mail  was sitting in her Inbox.  One thing that I did notice that
is interesting is that if you look in her Sent Items that e-mail was sent at
12:03PM today.  If you look in her Inbox she received it at 12:00 PM.  Not
sure how that is possible....

The time on her computer is derived from the DC that holds the FSMO Role of
PDCEmulator for that child domain, which gets its time from the Forest Root
DC (either the one that holds the PDCEmulator role or the other one), which
in turn gets its (Forest Root PDCEmulator) time from Virginia Tech's atomic
clocks.  Those times are all the same....which, BTW, is just a few seconds
ahead of my computer here in the office (workgroup here in the
office....thus, the difference).

Cary W. Shultz wrote:

> I can telnet in to do 'the mail stuff' or use a pop3 client (like
> OE).  And, thanks for the tip on 'leave on the server'.  Knew that
> one (learned the hard way about six/seven years ago!) but someone
> else reading this post might not!!!!!

Good, I've run into too many people who would 'connect to the server' but
that only meant browsing a share.  Trust but verify.  =)

> As to when Outlook eventually does get the e-mail ----- there is no
> discernable rhyme or reason.  I can send from her outlook and it goes
> immediately (okay.....I did not know that when I initiated this
> post).  It is the receiving that takes awhile.  For example, two
> hours ago I sent her a test e-mail from her account (Outlook). During the
> 15 minutes or so that I was remotely controlling her
> computer that e-mail did not come in.  Just 20 minutes ago I was
> remotely controlling her computer again (she is at lunch) and that
> e-mail  was sitting in her Inbox.  One thing that I did notice that
> is interesting is that if you look in her Sent Items that e-mail was
> sent at 12:03PM today.  If you look in her Inbox she received it at
> 12:00 PM.  Not sure how that is possible....

So, if you do a Send Receive, does it pull the mail down right then, or does
that sometimes fail too?  If that sometimes fail, I'd probably do a network
trace and see whats happening on the connection.

I just pinged someone else regarding the time and, we aren't sure, but, if
you ask me, empirical evidence says that Outlook uses the RFC2822 headers to
determine the Received time (which should be easy to verify, select the
item, right click, options, and check the internet headers... that date/time
should be in there) so I'd bet the POP server's time is ~3 minutes slow =).

--
f.h.

0
f.h.muffman (751)
3/21/2007 1:52:17 AM
F.M.!

Sorry for the delayed reply.

To answer your first question (send/receive) - that would fail EVERY time.
Well, that makes sense now.  Sorta.

This was another example of IXWebhosting have massive e-mail issues.  They
were suffering from a huge queue.

So, it turns out that these two users were not the only ones affected.  I
ended up calling IXWebhosting because everything that we were doing was
yelling server-side error/problem but everything I was hearing from our
client was "only a couple of users".  We are in the process of moving
everyone away from IXWebhosting as quickly as possible.  Sorry, not trying
to flame this company but things have been really really really bad the last
three / four months.

I *think* that the POP Server is a bit more than three minutes slow!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks for your help.

> Cary W. Shultz wrote:
>>
>> I can telnet in to do 'the mail stuff' or use a pop3 client (like
>> OE).  And, thanks for the tip on 'leave on the server'.  Knew that
>> one (learned the hard way about six/seven years ago!) but someone
>> else reading this post might not!!!!!
>
> Good, I've run into too many people who would 'connect to the server' but
> that only meant browsing a share.  Trust but verify.  =)
>
>> As to when Outlook eventually does get the e-mail ----- there is no
>> discernable rhyme or reason.  I can send from her outlook and it goes
>> immediately (okay.....I did not know that when I initiated this
>> post).  It is the receiving that takes awhile.  For example, two
>> hours ago I sent her a test e-mail from her account (Outlook). During the
>> 15 minutes or so that I was remotely controlling her
>> computer that e-mail did not come in.  Just 20 minutes ago I was
>> remotely controlling her computer again (she is at lunch) and that
>> e-mail  was sitting in her Inbox.  One thing that I did notice that
>> is interesting is that if you look in her Sent Items that e-mail was
>> sent at 12:03PM today.  If you look in her Inbox she received it at
>> 12:00 PM.  Not sure how that is possible....
>
> So, if you do a Send Receive, does it pull the mail down right then, or
> does that sometimes fail too?  If that sometimes fail, I'd probably do a
> network trace and see whats happening on the connection.
>
> I just pinged someone else regarding the time and, we aren't sure, but, if
> you ask me, empirical evidence says that Outlook uses the RFC2822 headers
> to determine the Received time (which should be easy to verify, select the
> item, right click, options, and check the internet headers... that
> date/time should be in there) so I'd bet the POP server's time is ~3
> minutes slow =).
>
> --
> f.h.

SBS08, interesting RWW Computer connection interruptions
I have just started to notice a strange difference between RWW on SBS 03 and SBS 08.... SBS 08 opens an SSL window that it states must remain open in order to keep your Computer/Server connection (remote desktop) remotely. By default, most firewall rules have a inactivity time-out period of XX minutes. In this case, the SSL window doesn't have any traffic once the RWW RDP session is created, at least none that I can see. So, unlike SBS 03, when you connect to a computer using RWW in O8, and the SSL timeout is set for 10 minutes on the firewall, you will be disconnected eve...

Synchronise Outlook 2003

Sharing Outlook #2

Outlook user profiles

Outlook 2003 cuts off lines

A Linking Problem
Assume I have a column of numbers, in a file named Source. (range is B2:B10). These cells are linked to a column in a file named Destination(range is E2:E10). If I add a new row 5 to the source, is there a way I can get the previously linked cells in Destination to continue to display the correct values. After adding the new row 5 in source, rows in Destination below row 5 display values from rows below (in the Source file). I hope this is not too confusing a question (I am confused). If it of importance, the linking was done using Paste Link in the Paste Special dialog. Thanks. Hi PA Yo...

Sending URL in Outlook XP

Outlook Signatures #4

Form printing problem
Hi all, I have a form that holds customer records which we have been printing out for filing. I put a print record command button at the top of the form and this has been working perfectly for at least the last four years printing on plain paper using auto selection on the printer. Recently the form record has started printing onto header paper. It doesn't matter whether I change the properties on the printer it keeps printing to headed paper and the only way round was to put plain paper into the headed paper tray. We have now a new printer in the office which has been set as my defa...

Importing Outlook 2003 to Win 98 Outlook

Not a make item error
I am trying to create a BOM for an item I just created. I set the Item Replenishment Method to 'Make' on the Item Resource planning screen, but get an error when trying to create a BOm for this Item. What have I missed? Hi Adam, You have to assign this item as Make item in the Item Engineering window also. Thanks "Adam" wrote: > I am trying to create a BOM for an item I just created. I set the Item > Replenishment Method to 'Make' on the Item Resource planning screen, but get > an error when trying to create a BOm for this Item. What have I miss...

Problems creating a newsletter
I chose the form "Newsletter - email". I have created a 3 page newsletter. Now, I have NO IDEA how to send it out as an email. I do not want to send it as an attachment. I cannot figure out which "save as" format or what I need to do so that i can email this newsletter. Is there a website that goes through how to do this? Am I correct when I say that it has to be html in order for me to send it as email? That is not one of the options. Any help you give me would be greatly appreciated. I am using 2003 Publisher. I created the book "Tri-Puzzles for Genesis - I"...

Hotmail Problem Please Help
I am running Exchange 2003 Standard on a Windows 2003 Server. I also have ISA 2000 on the same box. Everything is working fine. The problem I am having is getting mail out to a hotmail address. When I send then mail, I see it sits in the Queue for less then a minute then disappears. It never makes it to the Hotmail address nor do I get any return errors back in my client indicating the mail never made it to its destination. On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:51:04 -0800, "Kevin Mc" <Kevin Mc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2003 Standard on a Windows 200...

Windows 7 taskbar API problems
Folks The background is that an Access MDE/ACCDE created by a developer is not conceptually the same as an Excel spreadsheet or Word document file created by the user. My Auto FE Updater utility automatically downloads any new version created by the developer from the server to the workstation as well as doing lots of other stuff such as creating shortcuts on desk tops. If this was a user created Access database file which resides in the users My Documents folder, or similar, than they are conceptually the same as a Word or Excel file. The problem is if the user right-clicks on...

Outlook 2003: export accounts settings

Outlook 2002 cannot see address book

problems loading excel documents
When I try to open up an excel document via my documents it says that the same document is open already how can this be stopped Tina First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore other applications" OR Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround with quotes as in..... "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewhere\excel.exe" /regserver Gord Dibben XL2002 On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:16:14 -0800, "Tina" <TinaSCovell...

Outlook/Exchange 2000 connection problem

Can we make a document frame window title bar disapper?
Hi, friends, I registered a document template in InitInstance(). It may not be an MDI child. When I created a new document, I tried to make the frame title bar disappear by setting: cs.style = WS_DLGFRAME; in function PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& cs). Unfortunately, the title bar was still there, although no more caption. I also tried setting: cs.style &= ~WS_CAPTION; and some other combinations, no luck. Could anyone tell me how to do it? Or, can we do it? Thanks. You need to remove WS_CAPTION style. You can do it in Precreatewindow and for mainframe do it after it ha...

Promoting Email to CRM Activity in Outlook
Is there a way to associate an email to two accounts when promoting it to a CRM Activity? Lynn Lynn, if you'd like to link the email to multiple regarding objects, you're out of luck. Only one regarding object can be set, though the email will also be linked to all of the senders/recipients ('activity parties'). Ilana. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "MattNC" <MattNC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70F78E3C-272A-4515-B393-38700C767B65@microsoft.com... > After you click the &qu...

Outlook 2002
We have a single user who is attaching multiple documents through DOCSOpen to an email message. If he saves this message so he can send it later, it will not send. He just hits the SEND button and nothing happens. According to him , this doesn't happen when he sends an email straight away. Only when it is saved. He has to restart his machine for the email to send. DOes anyone have any ideas? We are running XP with Office XP (2002-SP2) Thank you in advance ...