Preveting the business fax appearing as a contact

When I select a name to send an e-mail to, I type in part of the name, press
Alt K and the contacts matching that partial name appears.  Unfortunately,
it gives me two choices for anyone with a fax number.  I don't fax from
e-mail.  Short of modifying the details for hundreds of contacts, is there a
way to turn off this "feature" so fax contacts aren't showing up?

Thanks

0
Boe_d8589 (58)

No. Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid electronic addresses, since
there are many client- and server-based components that can use such
addresses.

One method to hide fax numbers from the address book is to prefix the fax
number with one or more letters (maybe B for business fax, H for home, O for
other). If the fax number begins with a letter, Outlook won't show it in the
address book. This definitely works in Outlook 2000 and 2002.

There are a couple of utilities that can help you hide fax numbers from the
address book. See http://www.rsoutlook.com/us/rshifa.htm and
http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook_Solutions.htm (Hide Fax Numbers).

Another way to avoid avoid having fax numbers appear in the address book is
simply not to enter data in the fax fields. Put fax numbers in some other
(non-phone) fields.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"boe" <boe_d@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I select a name to send an e-mail to, I type in part of the name,
press
> Alt K and the contacts matching that partial name appears.  Unfortunately,
> it gives me two choices for anyone with a fax number.  I don't fax from
> e-mail.  Short of modifying the details for hundreds of contacts, is there
> way to turn off this "feature" so fax contacts aren't showing up?
>
> Thanks

0
suemvp (4038)
7/27/2004 11:38:15 AM
Thanks for getting back to me - I did a lot of surfing and it seems a lot of
people would like to remove faxes as contacts.  Perhaps MS could consider
making a button to let you turn this on and off.

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
> No. Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid electronic addresses, since
> there are many client- and server-based components that can use such
> addresses.
>
> One method to hide fax numbers from the address book is to prefix the fax
> number with one or more letters (maybe B for business fax, H for home, O
for
> other). If the fax number begins with a letter, Outlook won't show it in
the
> address book. This definitely works in Outlook 2000 and 2002.
>
> There are a couple of utilities that can help you hide fax numbers from
the
> address book. See http://www.rsoutlook.com/us/rshifa.htm and
> http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook_Solutions.htm (Hide Fax Numbers).
>
> Another way to avoid avoid having fax numbers appear in the address book
is
> simply not to enter data in the fax fields. Put fax numbers in some other
> (non-phone) fields.
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Author of
>      Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "boe" <boe_d@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > When I select a name to send an e-mail to, I type in part of the name,
> press
> > Alt K and the contacts matching that partial name appears.
Unfortunately,
> > it gives me two choices for anyone with a fax number.  I don't fax from
> > e-mail.  Short of modifying the details for hundreds of contacts, is
there
> > way to turn off this "feature" so fax contacts aren't showing up?
> >
> > Thanks

0
Boe_d8589 (58)
7/27/2004 2:48:08 PM
boe <boe_d@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for getting back to me - I did a lot of surfing and it seems a
> lot of people would like to remove faxes as contacts.  Perhaps MS
> could consider making a button to let you turn this on and off.

Perhaps, but you (and those who want that feature) have to request it.  Send
your request to mswish at microsoft dot com.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Upgrade 2006 to Small Business
Is it possible to upgrade from Money 2006 to Money Small Business? If so, how? In microsoft.public.money, CF wrote: >Is it possible to upgrade from Money 2006 to Money Small Business? If so, how? See http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/editorial/22/cswspring06/default.mspx or visit a store. I would first just try to install over the existing installation. If Money asks if it should uninstall the previous version for you, say yes. If there is a problem, you could uninstall the old first, and then install the new. In addition to Cal's comments, when you install the new version it...

Contacts no longer Available to HP Director
I have an HP 7130 All-in-One Printer. It comes with software called HP Director that will set up faxes and should use the default Address Book for fax numbers etc. This default address book is set to Outlook Contacts in IE Tools/Options/Programs. After the last security update, the HP Director no longer will access my Contacts when I click on Address Book. It tries to access an empty address book probably in Outlook Express. All my other programs will access the default address book which is Outlook Contacts or give me a choice of address books including Contacts. I don't ev...

Can't get at Contacts
Due to a hardware problem I have reloaded windows XP and office XP. After installing Office XP inculding Outlook I copied over my backup .pst file. Now I can see my Contacts folder but cannot use it in E-Mail: message "The Address list could not be displayed. The contacts folder associated with his list could not be opened: it may have been moved, deleted or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address Book see help." This is mysterious as I can see the contacts, add new ones, delete etc. I have had problems in the past usin...

Send Message to Contacts in a Public Folder
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0059_01C5B2EB.77CCB410 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable When I open a Contact via my mailbox in OWA 2003, I see a button titled = "Send Mail to contact". When I open a Contact via a Public Folder in OWA = 2003, I don't see that button. I would appreciate any info regarding how = to add that button for Contacts in a Public Folder. Thanks in advance = for any assistance. --=20 D. Lewis "Just trying to keep life simple." ------=_Nex...

contacts not available in outlook when composing message
I'm running an Exchange 2000 Enterprise server on a Windows 2000 Server which is also my domain controller. Until recently, our Contacts folder held about 3000 contacts, and when you compose a new email message you can click the To button and pick from the Contacts list if you choose to do that. Now that list shows up empty, however, if you look at the Folder List in Outlook, you can physically go to the Contacts folder and the contacts are still there, and you can right-click on a contact and click send new email. Is there a way to get it back to where I can select from within a compose n...

Adding 2nd Contact Look-up to Quote
What are the opions for adding a second "Look-up" field to the CRM forms - specifically adding Contact to the Quote form? 3rd party options? Titan - CRM 4.0? Work-arounds? -- Darryl - dh@mtccrm.com -www.mtccrm.com - Only Microsoft CRM Darryl, Here's a nice workaround that I've written up. Let me know if it works for you or if you have any trouble with it. http://www.mscrmexperts.com/dnn/Blogs/tabid/55/EntryID/2/Default.aspx -Xavier www.MSCRMExperts.com Quest Business Solutions On May 14, 3:56 pm, Darryl Henderson <DarrylHender...@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Business Portal 4.0 & GP 10.0 Smartlist
Hi, Is there a way to use our GP 10 smartlists in the query sections of Business Portal 4.0 ? I've look at the Business Portal query builder and I don't think you can use SQL (in this case I could have extract Smartlists SQL). You have to used predefined entities. Maybe I get it wrong ? Thanks in advance for any help ! Richard, Thanks for using the newsgroups. You are correct. You need an entity for querying in Business Portal. Thanks Rob -- Rob Bernhardt Software Quality Assurance Microsoft Business Solutions This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties...

Lost all my outlook messages, calendar & contacts
I was not able to open outlook - received the error message - Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook which was resolved by uising the recommended solution of entering, outlook.exe /resetnavpane in the Search bar enter. I have now lost all messages received and all contacts and calendar items entered. Any idea how these can be restored? File > Open and browse to your PST file. The default name of the file is outlook.pst unless it has been purposely changed. "canadajack56" <canadajack56@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89DA0506-5647-44F6-A2B...

Merging Excel contact list with Outlook email
Hello:confused:! I have a list of around 300 contacts in Excel with their names an their email addresses. I want to send all of them the same email, bu personalising each mail for each person. I dont want to copy and past each email and each name individually into the message 300 times. Is there a way of automating the process so that the emails ar automatically inserted into the the email address box, and the names o the contacts are inserted just after the word "Dear" in the message? Thank you so much in advance:) ! Mo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try thi...

Charts appear snowy (e.g., tv) unless clicked on. Memory issue?
Working with a very large workbook, and charts on the page appear snowy (like a tv on the wrong channel). When I click on the chart however, the snow disappears and the chart becomes visible. Is this a memory issue? Any quick fixes? Thanks Hi, If your chartobject appears as a gray box until selected then try then menu Tools > Options. On the View Tab make sure Show All in the Objects section is selected. Cheers Andy Vlookup help wrote: > Working with a very large workbook, and charts on the page appear snowy (like > a tv on the wrong channel). When I click on the chart ...

rename Business Units in 3.0
Why is it still not possible to rename BU in 3.0? it makes no sense to me, also reading through other discussions in this forum and 1.2 forums, I see no real answer to many questions regarding this matter. Through the years BU will have to change names then many uuseless BU hanging in the lists etc, even if they are disabled. Preparing efficient Demos will also be very difficult and time consuming. You ned to set up the DB each time new for each new demo scenario. Regards Max For demos its a good idea to use virtualpc. You can create a base CRM image then store it somewhere safe. Whe...

Exporting all Contacts except 'Private' Contacts
[I posted this query in microsoft.public.outlook.contacts about a week ago but received no responses, so I am trying this newsgroup, as it has heavier traffic.] I would like to provide my contact database to my associates, but I want to first eliminate any Contacts marked 'Private'. In taking a look at the export filters, I don't see any means of accomplishing my objectives. How can I export all Contacts except those marked 'Private'? There is an illistration in OL help re Exporting a partial list of contacts. This may require all the contacts you wish to export being ...

Money 2004 Deluxe does not work with windos vista business (32-bit)
I have money 2004 Deluxe (standalone version) and bookkeeping all my financial stuff there for a four years. I just upgrade to wondows vista business 2004(32-bit) and install the money 2004 deluxe. The installation is smooth. But it report some problems and vista close it once I click the icon. Is there any workaround or have I upgrade to a new version. The function in 2004 is pretty much enough for me and I feel that I do not need any new function in newer version. :( BTW: I also try to set it into the compatible mode as winXP and it does not work either. On Mar 27, 1:50 pm, "G...

Outlook 2003 and mail to contacts....
Hi U all! Is there a way in Outlook 2003 to set which format a mail sent to a spesific contact should have? Some contacts accepts HTML mail, and others don't -- Regards Zadig Galbaras A Perturbed Norwegian Agnistic Can't you right click on the contact and select Outlook Properties and select the format from there? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Zadig Galbaras aske...

GDI+ : property & methods list does not appear.
hi, Priyanka again. i installed GDI+ on my system. but i never get the property & methods list after pressing the . or ->. i tried deleting the .ncb file also, but it didnt work. does anybody have idea about this? Thanks and regards, Priyanka ...

Email address from Outlook Contacts
I have a worksheet that contains the names of contacts. Most are identical to contacts in my Outlook XP standard Contacts folder. I would like to be able to enter a new contact in Excel and have the email address from Outlook email address 1 appear in another Excel column. As I already have many contacts in Excel I'd also like to be able to go through all the existing contacts and have their email addresses appear. Is it possible to do this and if so how please? Many thanks for any insights you have. Kevin Lucas Hi Kevin, The usual thing to do would be to Export your Outlook addres...

Mail-enabled contacts vs Administrative groups
Hi, Since my Exchange 2003 was switched to native mode I'm not able to select a administrative group where I want to create it. Is that normal? "Jocelyn" <thefreefly@gmail.com> wrote: >Since my Exchange 2003 was switched to native mode I'm not able to >select a administrative group where I want to create it. Is that >normal? Since those are just AD objects I'm not sure I understand why you care. When Exchange had its own directory the "site" owned a directory object. But Exchange doesn't have its own directory anymore. -- Rich Matheise...

Remove Ability to Create Contacts
We have a third-party plugin tool (which links with our CRM) for Outlook 2003 which has its own "Create New Contact" wizard we want people to use instead of creating a new contact with Outlook. The question is, how do we remove their ability to create a new contact using Outlook's default contact creation screen? It would be nice if we could remove the button(s) used for creating a new contact, but the problem is the multi-function button on the left-hand side of the toolbar - when you're on the contact screen it become a Create New Contact button. But removing the entire ...

html in Contact \ Notes possible?
I copied html information from a web page and pasted it into the Notes field of a Contact. It looked exactly the same until I saved it and returned to have a look, the html formatting reverted to tich text (or simple plain text?). Is it possible for me to paste html material into Notes and have it stick? Thanks, DH It's supported in Outlook 2007. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- &...

Business Contact Manager installation prbs
I am trying to install Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2003 bu when I install the program, the menu at the top of the page is no coming up. It is in the Add/Remove Programs area and it is enabled. Any other ideas -- fleetfeet4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fleetfeet42's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=514 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=126332 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i Try this: In Outlook, on the Help menu, click Configure Business Contact Manager, and follow the instructions....

Form of phone numbers in contact list
I am using Blackberry's Desktop Software to syncronize with my MS Outlook Contacts list. The onboard caller-id function of the phone that is supposed to correlate the incoming phone number to a name of a contact (should the number be in my contacts list) isn't working. According to help from Blackberry the problem is the "form" of the numbers as they're being loaded on the Blackberry from MS Outlook. Specifically, apparently the fact that the numbers are stored in the form of (###) ###-#### instead of something like ###-###-#### is keeping the phone from realizi...

Business portal 4.0 Admin user
Is there any other BP role who can add new uers to the BP site besides Administrator? I want to be able to restrict what they can see - and with the Admin role, they can see everything... thanks LCL, Thanks for using the newsgroups. There is not an out of the box group other than BP Administrator that gives users the ability to add users to the BP site. Your question is very specific to SharePoint functionality. I'm not sure if SharePoint itself allows this, but you could pose this question to a SharePoint newsgroup. Thanks Rob -- Rob Bernhardt Software Quality Assurance M...

Start all over but retain emails, folders, contacts, etc.
Hi- I recently transfered my pst file over to a new computer (both Outlook 2003) and now I believe I have some (major?) problems with the contacts folder and locations. Even though everything seems fine on the outside and I can still send emails fine, I get numerous errors telling me my address book cannot be located and I just recently discovered all my mailing lists fail to link the members to their contact files even though they are right there. I guess my main question is, can I somehow wipe outlook clean, and then just readd all the information (contacts, appointments, tasks, notes, ema...

custom filtering/migration of .msg file contact data to .vcf format
I need a way to filter and process incoming sales contact data (name, addres, phone, etc) within incoming .msg files (sample .msg message body below) and append directly to my Outlook Contacts file (.vcf output) for future use. I receive this info from web queries emailed to me, and I'm looking for a way to automatically process every message contact in a format below - the volume of email could be very large, so it needs to be automatically executed by an outlook rule (I can setup a rule to apply only to these emails, based on the subject text, which can be assumed to be unique). I'...