Possible to create a rule to alert on BCC messages?

Using Outlook 2007/Exchange Server 2007

Hello:

I sometimes miss that I'm receiving an email as a blind copy.  I was hoping
to create a rule to alert me when I'm in the BCC field.  However, when using
the rules wizard, I only see the options regarding my name in the To or CC
field.  Is there a way to create this that I may be missing?

Thank you.

0
Victoria

In article <#pJLIK1ALHA.4704@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, victoria@dig.com
says...

> Using Outlook 2007/Exchange Server 2007
>
> Hello:
>
> I sometimes miss that I'm receiving an email as a blind copy.  I was hoping
> to create a rule to alert me when I'm in the BCC field.  However, when using
> the rules wizard, I only see the options regarding my name in the To or CC
> field.  Is there a way to create this that I may be missing?
>
> Thank you.

Nope,  that's how BCC works (wouldn't be "blind" otherwise) :)

--
Duncan.
0
Duncan McC wrote:

> In article <#pJLIK1ALHA.4704@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, victoria@dig.com
> says...
>>
>> Using Outlook 2007/Exchange Server 2007
>>
>> Hello:
>>
>> I sometimes miss that I'm receiving an email as a blind copy.  I was hoping
>> to create a rule to alert me when I'm in the BCC field.  However, when using
>> the rules wizard, I only see the options regarding my name in the To or CC
>> field.  Is there a way to create this that I may be missing?
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> Nope,  that's how BCC works (wouldn't be "blind" otherwise) :)

Do you know what "Bcc" stands for?  It's BLIND Carbon Copy.  That means
every recipient that was specified by use of the Bcc *field* (not
header) by the sender will never see that they were specified as a
recipient.  There is no Bcc header in the received copy of an e-mail
where the recipient was specified in the Bcc field in the sender's
e-mail client.

The recipient never does get to see who are the true recipients of an
e-mail.  The To, Cc, and Bcc *fields* are just input controls in the UI
for the sender's e-mail client.  They may not even be used in specifying
the recipients of an e-mail, as when using a listserver to send out bulk
e-mails where the boilerplate e-mail is data and a separate list of
recipients is kept in a file.  The e-mail client compiles an aggregate
list of recipients from the To, Cc, and Bcc *fields* in the UI of the
e-mail client.  That list is used to generate the RCPT-TO commands that
the e-mail client sends to the mail server.  It is that list of RCPT-TO
commands, one for each recipient, that actually specifies who are the
recipients.  That list of RCPT-TO commands is followed by a single DATA
command that contains the message - and that message also include the To
and Cc header but that is *data* that the e-mail client entered in the
DATA command and was *not* used to specify the recipients of the message
to the mail server.  By using mailmerge or a listserver, the recipients
are not even specified in the message but instead come from a separate
file that is the mailing list.

Your e-mail client has *fields* showing the To, Cc, and Bcc fields in
its UI.  Your e-mail client uses that list of recipients to send RCPT-TO
commands to your mail server.  Your e-mail client will add the To and Cc
headers - but NOT the Bcc header - to the *data* of your message.  Those
headers inside your message were NOT used to directly specify the
recipients of your e-mail so it is very possible the e-mail client puts
one set of values in the To and Cc headers inside the message but issues
different RCPT-TO commands to the mail server.

Only if an e-mail client is misconfigured or broken will it add a Bcc
header into the message (header section, blank delimiter line, body
section).  Even if a broken e-mail client includes the Bcc header, many
if not the prevalent majority of mail servers will strip out the Bcc
header since it is not supposed to be included in the message.  That
means you, as the recipient, should never see a Bcc header in the e-mail
that you receive.

So how are you going to test on a header that doesn't exist?  Well, you
could test by looking for the absence of your e-mail address in the To
and Cc headers.  Normally if you were specified in the Bcc field then
you were not also specified in either the To or Cc field, so the lack of
your e-mail address in the To and Cc headers would indicate that you
were probably a Bcc'ed recipient; however, for mailing lists, it is
likely that all recipients were effectively Bcc'ed (because the RCPT-TO
commands were not generated by any To, Cc, or Bcc fields in the
boilerplate message, if they were even specified).
0
VanguardLH
6/4/2010 3:13:59 AM
Oops, sorry.  My reply was supposed to be to Victoria, not to Duncan.
Had the wrong post selected when I replied.
0
VanguardLH
6/4/2010 3:15:49 AM
"Victoria@dig" <victoria@dig.com> wrote in message

> I sometimes miss that I'm receiving an email as a blind copy.  I was hoping
> to create a rule to alert me when I'm in the BCC field.  However, when using
> the rules wizard, I only see the options regarding my name in the To or CC
> field.  Is there a way to create this that I may be missing?

Create a rule that alerts for everything, but add the exception "except if my
name is in the To or Cc box".  This should alert you only when you were Bcc'd
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
6/4/2010 1:15:32 PM
I tested it, out of curiosity. It works!

Here's my rule (client side rule):

Apply this rule after messages arrive
display "a specific message" in the New Item Alert Window

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Victoria@dig" <victoria@dig.com> wrote in message
>
>> I sometimes miss that I'm receiving an email as a blind copy.  I was
>> hoping to create a rule to alert me when I'm in the BCC field.  However,
>> when using the rules wizard, I only see the options regarding my name in
>> the To or CC field.  Is there a way to create this that I may be missing?
>
> Create a rule that alerts for everything, but add the exception "except if
> my name is in the To or Cc box".  This should alert you only when you were
> Bcc'd
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
John
6/4/2010 7:38:38 PM
Just want to say there's an unwanted result. If the incoming mail is sent to
a distribution group and you're a member of the group, the rule gets
triggered no matter where the group name is entered into (To or Cc).

I just received an email sent to the IT group and I'm a member of it. That
rule I created earlier alterted me.

"John" <a> wrote in message news:exh7J2BBLHA.5476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I tested it, out of curiosity. It works!
>
> Here's my rule (client side rule):
>
> Apply this rule after messages arrive
> display "a specific message" in the New Item Alert Window
> except if my name is in the To or Cc box
>

> "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Victoria@dig" <victoria@dig.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I sometimes miss that I'm receiving an email as a blind copy.  I was
>>> hoping to create a rule to alert me when I'm in the BCC field.  However,
>>> when using the rules wizard, I only see the options regarding my name in
>>> the To or CC field.  Is there a way to create this that I may be
>>> missing?
>>
>> Create a rule that alerts for everything, but add the exception "except
>> if my name is in the To or Cc box".  This should alert you only when you
>> were Bcc'd
>> --
>> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
John
6/5/2010 12:09:17 AM
John wrote:
> Just want to say there's an unwanted result. If the incoming mail is
> sent to
> a distribution group and you're a member of the group, the rule gets
> triggered no matter where the group name is entered into (To or Cc).
>
> I just received an email sent to the IT group and I'm a member of it.
> That
> rule I created earlier alterted me.

Correct, it just looks for your address in to or cc and if it doesn't
find it, the rule fires.

'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com)

'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/)

View this thread: http://www.outlookforums.com/showthread.php?t=46268

http://www.outlookforums.com

0
Slipstick

creating a file of particular extension
dear friends, i am using ms access 2003, vb6. i want to create a file of extension ".gms" . how can i do this? also after creating it, i want to run it with default viewer application( default opening application for that particular type extension). how can i do this? thanq There's nothing magic about file extensions: you can use whatever you want. To associate your extension with a specific application, see what Randy Birch has at http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/reg/association.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "r...

Creating Control with multiple comboboxes
Hello, I am using MFC VC6 and I am trying to create an activex control which contains multiple combo boxes but I am at a loss where to start. Does anybody know of a simple sample that could point me in the right direction. Thanks, Shaun Shaun wrote: > > Hello, > > I am using MFC VC6 and I am trying to create an activex control which > contains multiple combo boxes but I am at a loss where to start. Does > anybody know of a simple sample that could point me in the right > direction. > > Thanks, > Shaun The wizard sets up a skeleton ActiveX control project...

message routing from CFormView to CMainFrame
Hi, I want to forward a message from a CFromView derived class to the MainFrame. For explanation purposes let's assume I put a Help button onto my FormView with the ID_APP_HELP id. I want the button to call the CWinApp::OnHelp function. The CFrameWnd::OnCmdMsg Handler pumps all messages first through the Views/Documents, then through the frame and finally through the app. But for the CFormView, there is no such routing mechanism back to the MainFrame. Even worth, if I setup a OnCmdMsg Handler that routes messages to the MainFrame I will end up in an endless loop, since the mainf...

Moving email folders, accounts, rules etc from Outlook 2003 to 200
Please would you be willing to help me [a raw beginner] to retrieve email folders, the emails in the folders, accounts, rules etc from harddrive with Outlook 2003 and Windows XP, and move them successfully to new laptop with Outlook 2007 [Windows 7]. So far I have 1. searched for all pst files on old harddrive and copied all of them to memory stick using another XP laptop. Could not successfully do with the new laptop due to "access" issues. 2. imported pst files to outlook 2007--contacts folders arrived, calendar arrived, some of inbox, some of deleted, some of sen...

Business Alerts On PA
Hi All I am trying to create a business aleart for Project Accounting Module. My requirement is to give an alert when ever my project budget exceeds 80% of the cost. I tried creating an alert from Tools> Utilities> System > Business Alerts. I have inserted the budget tables but i am stuck after that........ i cant' proceed further. Can any one tell me how to create a Business alert for PA. Any help is appreciated Regards Reddy Do you own SmartList Builder? "hells.world" wrote: > Hi All > > I am trying to create a business aleart for Project Accounting M...

Creating a CUserAuth
I'm working on a Windows service that will update CRM objects from an other application. I'm trying to use a specific CRM account. From my search it appears that just creating a new CUserAuth, passing in the Business Unit guid as the MerchantId and the User guid as the UserId would be sufficient and then I could pass that to my SDK calls. However in doing this I get the following error. "Invalid user auth. The user ID does not match the thread token." Am I correct? Did I miss a step? You can override the credentials used when you authenticate with the following co...

Create New Style in MS Word 2007
Hi I am trying to create a new style in MS Word 2007 that should go after "Heading 3". I am can't use Heading 4 since it is not numbered. So my document has levels 1 1.1 1.1.1 1.1.1.1 << This is the new style I am trying to create. But unfortunately I am not able to find a way to number it and use the "Continue Number from previous list". Also how to add levels to the style. Is there any way to copy Heading 3 and start from there? Thanks in advance. -- kuul13 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ k...

Personal Folder (pst) messages being moved to deleted items folder
A few users I assist have recently had the cleansing of their Personal Folders data. All of this data if broken into dozens of sub-folders and for an unknown reason moved into the "Deleted Items" folder. The good news is the messages are all there, but the bad news, it's no longer sorted logically. 1) Is there any way to reverse this? 2) How can we prevent this from happening again or to others? (I've verified auto archiving is turned off - and noone has run it on their own) Windows XP SP3 - Outlook 2007 SP2. Thank you, Jim 1) Restoring from backup wi...

Messages disappears from inbox
On OL2003, the messages in the Inbox move automatically to the Deleted Items folder. It seems the moves are a timed event. I've looked for the setting to control this, but haven't found it. I checked the message filtering and none. Any ideas? Thanks - On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 04:11:48 -1000, Harlen <harlen@cadence.com> wrote: > On OL2003, the messages in the Inbox move automatically to the Deleted > Items folder. It seems the moves are a timed event. I've looked for > the setting to control this, but haven't found it. I checked the > message filt...

missing message body
This is an intermittent problem. I am using Outlook express 6. We use Windows 2000. When I get a new email, the message body may or may not show up. I can even double click on the title to bring up full screen and it will still be blank. If I open another email, it may or may not open. This is driving me crazy. Any suggestions? Thanks. vma <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > This is an intermittent problem. I am using Outlook > express 6. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman Make sure your Internet Explorer is fully up to date. If...

error message 0x8004060C
while receiving messages, the progress bar just goes forward, but no actual messages are downloaded. when the progress bar is complete, it displays the error message. meanwhile, i can't do anything in outlook except marking messages read or unread. i try to delete, move messages, add tasks, nothing works. i just get an error like: 'cannot move items' or outlook has encountered an unexpected error. if the problem persists, please restart outlook'. of course restarting outlook or even my computer is of no help whatsoever. please help, this is my office email program and...

12-24 hour delay in receiving messages in Outlook 2003
Outlook 2003 appears to be holding my incoming message for a few hours before delivering them to my mailbox. Here are the details: When I first open Outlook 2003 in the morning, I get all my overnight email. I will then get a couple of email messages during the day, but not all. When I go to another machine at 5 pm, I find messages that were sent to me, for instance at 1 pm, but which Outlook 2003 had not delivered to me on the first machine by 4:30 pm. On the first machine, if I use Outlook Express, all my messages come to me immediately, so it seems like it is an Outlook 2003 ...

Outlook 2002 Rules query
I receive every so often an email detailing job vacancies. Sometimes the email will have no jobs in it. What I want to do is to set up a rule such that if the phrase "We have found the following 0 jobs" occurs in the email, it is deleted. I can't see how to do that, as the action to delete is *before* the "except with certain words" option, and because of the nature of the phrase, I can't do it the other way round, i.e. say "delete the email unless it has this phrase in it" because the number may vary from 1 to anything up to 10 or more. Anyone any...

How to apply an Outlook filtering rule to multiple users
Does anyone know a way to automatically distribute an Outlook filtering rule to multiple users' machines without having to go and set it up on each machine manually? We are running Outlook 2000 and 2002 on Windows XP, with Exchange 2003 server. Thanks for your help in advance. ...

OWA error message #2
I got "440 Login Timeout" when open OWA. Without SSL, it's OK. I am using Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. Please help, Thank you inadcance. Lisa Have you installed the OWA hotfix and Exchange 2003 Service Pack 1? http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831464 This may help as well.... http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/e2k3/e2k3/_esdk_arch_webdav_security.asp Bob "Lisa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:043a01c48fb9$4689e360$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I got "440 Login Timeout" when open OWA. Without SSL, > it's OK. ...

Outlook 2003 messages with attachments hang
When I open an email with an attachment in Outlook 2003 Symantec will scan the attachment and Outlook will wait for 30 seconds before trying to open it again. I want the messages scanned, but it doesn't take 30 seconds to do so. My outlook 2000 clients do not have this problem and their attachments are scanned. Can I configure Outlook to wait 1 to 2 seconds before trying again? >-----Original Message----- >When I open an email with an attachment in Outlook 2003 >Symantec will scan the attachment and Outlook will wait >for 30 seconds before trying to open it again. ...

Outbound message queue #2
Hi I have Exchange 5.5 :( In the Internet Mail Service, Queues, Outbound messages awaiting delivery, there are hundreds of emails that look like SPAM. I know our Exchange Server is not a mail relay so where are all of these emails coming from and how do I stop them. I tried turning on all the message tracking and log file options I could find and looking at the log file but it didn't really show anything obvious except the domain "mail.ru" was on a like 30 messages. (I put "mail.ru" in the domain reject list) Can someone help me please................... Tha...

How do I change the elements displayed in the message list
How do I change the elements displayed in the message list. For example, to list "To" or "From" edit the view - to change just one folder, click on the row of field names and choose custom. To make all folders the same see http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips...

Junk E-mail folder
Is it possible to configure the Junk E-mail folder to automatically and permanently delete items older than 30 days? Thanks. You can use the AutoArchiving to do that. Right click on the folder, choose Properties and go to the AutoArchive tab "Jaycee" <jaycee131973@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%232IGo%238NGHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to configure the Junk E-mail folder to automatically and > permanently delete items older than 30 days? ...

How to create a floating bar chart vertically not horizontally...
Hi, The technique is the same for both column and bar charts, which is to use a stacked chart and remove the formatting from the series used to 'float' your data. See Jon's explanation. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FloatingColumns.html Cheers Andy Cristina wrote: -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Weird black screen when responding to message
Hi All, The title says it all really. I've recently started to get a black screen with coloured type when I reply to messages. Invariably the screen goes back to white with whatever colour type is applicable to a string of messages but sometimes I have to hit send with it showing coloured text on black. When the message arrives at the other end the colour is correct. More oddly, this doesn't happen on all messages but is beginning to become more frequent. I've run a couple of spyware progs and Norton anti virus etc. so don't think its anything nasty behind it. So over to...

Sorting messages by sender
I've recently changed from using Outlook 2003 on an old Celeron PC running Win 2k, to a new P4 machine with XP. On the old set-up, I could click on the 'From' column header to sort messages in a mail folder by sender, then start typing the name of the sender to quickly take me to the messages from that person. This was very useful and I used this feature regularly, although it only seemed to work for the first three characters of the name, the fourth character entered would then take the cursor to the first instance of a name beginning with this letter. This was fine as the firs...

Error Message 0x8007007F
Clip organizer keeps giving this error message when opened: Error Message 0x8007007F It will not open or insert pictures!!! Would appreciate any and all help junk2bj@hotmail.com http://www.mvps.org/msauer/clip_organizer_support.htm -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "BJ" <junk2bj@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:38ec01c42980$ce5312c0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Clip organizer keeps giving this error message when > opened: > > Error Message 0x8007007F > > It will not open or insert pictu...

Creating a Relationship Between Order Product (salesorderdetail) and Service Activity (serviceappointment)
Hi folks, We are using CRM 4.0 to run a consulting business. Its working pretty well but we want to simply the way we are doing some things. What we want to do is create an Order (salesorder) with multiple Order Products (salesorderdetal). So good so far. Next I want to be able associate each Order Product (salesorderdetail) with a Service Activity (serviceappointment), this representing that this billable line item in the order is actually going to be fulfilled as a consuting engagement. The problem is, I can't seem to be able to create an association between the Order Product (salesor...

ESM
Hi, I created some Public folders in OL 2003 before Xmas no problems as I am the administrator for the local domains server & Exchange admin. Today I tried to create additonal folders form my LAN XP machine but continually receive the error of: Unable to create the folder. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator. When I look at the folder properties in OL I see the folder contact is NT USER:S-1-5-21-606747145-1682526488-682003330-1109 but I have no idea who that is...or was more likely! If I then g...