POP3 not removing items from the server after download

I have Outlook 2010 and my e-mail provider is BT Yahoo.  I have always had
Outlook configured to remove items from the server after they have
downloaded and this has worked perfectly well for years.  From Friday 26th
August after downloading e-mails they are not being removed from the BT
Yahoo server.  Instead they are transferred from the BT Yahoo Inbox to the
BT Yahoo Trash file.  I have checked my Outlook Account Settings and they
are still as they were.  I have set up a new Outlook Profile and that has
the same result after downloading.

The only thing that I have changed is the location of my .pst file.  Because
I upgraded a few months ago, the .pst file stayed in Users - AppData - Local
and I have now moved it to the Outlook Files folder in My Documents.  I have
a PC and a Laptop so have set the .pst in Outlook Files to be shared so I
can pick up that folder no matter whether I use my laptop or PC in the
house.  But I did that on Wednesday night and the downloading issue was not
there on Thursday (and the same downloading issue also happens if I use my
laptop).

BT has checked and its technicians are puzzled.  They are looking into it
further.

Has anyone heard of this happening elsewhere?  Could a Microsoft update have
made some Registry change which has caused the issue to happen?

David

David Patterson wrote:

> I have Outlook 2010 and my e-mail provider is BT Yahoo.  I have always had
> Outlook configured to remove items from the server after they have
> downloaded and this has worked perfectly well for years.  From Friday 26th
> August after downloading e-mails they are not being removed from the BT
> Yahoo server.  Instead they are transferred from the BT Yahoo Inbox to the
> BT Yahoo Trash file.  I have checked my Outlook Account Settings and they
> are still as they were.  I have set up a new Outlook Profile and that has
> the same result after downloading.
>
> The only thing that I have changed is the location of my .pst file.  Because
> I upgraded a few months ago, the .pst file stayed in Users - AppData - Local
> and I have now moved it to the Outlook Files folder in My Documents.  I have
> a PC and a Laptop so have set the .pst in Outlook Files to be shared so I
> can pick up that folder no matter whether I use my laptop or PC in the
> house.  But I did that on Wednesday night and the downloading issue was not
> there on Thursday (and the same downloading issue also happens if I use my
> laptop).
>
> BT has checked and its technicians are puzzled.  They are looking into it
> further.
>
> Has anyone heard of this happening elsewhere?  Could a Microsoft update have
> made some Registry change which has caused the issue to happen?
>
> David

A POP client can only send the DELEte command to request the server to
remove an item by its UID from your mailbox.  POP only understands the
concept of a mailbox.  There are no folders in a POP mailbox.  POP has
no folder commands.  Any folders that are presented in the web interface
to your e-mail account are solely created by that webmail interface.  A
POP client can only access the mailbox (which is the Inbox folder
presented by the webmail interface).

For most webmail services, deleting an item from its Inbox (which is the
mailbox that your POP client can access) means moving it into their
Trash folder.  So, from your description, Yahoo is behaving correctly.
If deleting an Inbox item used to make the item disappear (not get moved
by the server from your Inbox to the Trash folder) then there would have
to be an option to permanently delete instead of delete (which moves the
item from Inbox to Trash).  Sorry, I don't use Yahoo for e-mail via POP
(because it's not free for yahoo.com) but what you describe (DELE
command from POP client has item moved from webmail Inbox folder to
webmail Trash folder) is what happens with other webmail providers that
I use that grant POP access.  While you are using a POP client, their
webmail client like Outlook in that deleting an Inbox item moves it to
the Trash folder (which gets emptied periodically).

You cannot see the Junk and Trash folders in your webmail account using
a POP client.  You would have to login to Yahoo's webmail interface to
see those folders.  If you are seeing those folders in Outlook then you
are now using IMAP instead of POP; however, I didn't think that Yahoo
have IMAP access and just offered POP access (but I don't use BT for my
ISP and they may have something differently setup with the Yahoo-
contracted services for BT).  Are you using POP, as you say, or IMAP to
access your e-mail account?

If your complaint is that Outlook, while configured as a POP client, is
moving a deleted Inbox item into the Trash folder when viewing your
account using their webmail interface, that's how normally works.  Their
server moves the item despite that Outlook as a POP client can only
access the Inbox folder (the mailbox) and issue the DELE command.
While Outlook as requested a DELEte of the item from your mailbox, their
webmail service will instead move it from the webmail Inbox folder to
the webmail Trash folder.  When I log into mail.yahoo.com and go under
my accounts options, I see no option to change this behavior (to
permanently delete an item instead of do the pseudo-delete by moving
into the Trash folder).

If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
configured to behave that way.  I don't have OL2010.  In OL2003, under
an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
issuing the RETRieve command.  When Outlook sends the DELE command
depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.

If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
behavior.  That's on their end, not yours.  All Outlook can do is issue
the DELE command and hope the server obeys.
0
V4521 (722)
8/28/2011 4:24:20 PM
Thank you.  Firstly, I do not have IMAP interface with BT Yahoo so I do not
see any of BT Yahoo's folders in Outlook unless I go into its webmail.  It
is a POP access.  I always have the webmail open and scan it before I
download anything.  This is how I picked up that BT Yahoo has now begun to
action the DELEte command from Outlook by moving the items from the BT Yahoo
Inbox to the BT Yahoo Trash folder.  All I can repeat, ad nauseam, is that
for years the items have been completely removed from the BT server.  That
suddenly changed from the 26th August.

I think from what you are saying is that the problem is with BT so when they
contact me again tomorrow I hope that they may have some idea as to what has
happened.

David.

"VanguardLH"  wrote in message news:j3dq2l$7t1$1@news.albasani.net...

David Patterson wrote:

> [...]

If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
configured to behave that way.  I don't have OL2010.  In OL2003, under
an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
issuing the RETRieve command.  When Outlook sends the DELE command
depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.

If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
behavior.  That's on their end, not yours.  All Outlook can do is issue
the DELE command and hope the server obeys.

I've now had an update from BT.  They have now a number of other users
experiencing the same issue.  They think it is a problem with the Yahoo
server so have "raised a ticket" for it to be investigated.

David

David Patterson wrote:

> [...]

If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
configured to behave that way.  I don't have OL2010.  In OL2003, under
an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
issuing the RETRieve command.  When Outlook sends the DELE command
depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.

If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
behavior.  That's on their end, not yours.  All Outlook can do is issue
the DELE command and hope the server obeys.

it's possible Yahoo did it intentionally - hotmail now moves mail to a
different folder when its deleted from the server. This prevents
problems when users set up new accounts and forget to change the setting
to leave on server.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com

On 8/29/2011 8:14 PM, David Patterson wrote:
> [...]
>
> If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
> after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
> configured to behave that way. I don't have OL2010. In OL2003, under
> an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
> is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
> If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
> issuing the RETRieve command. When Outlook sends the DELE command
> depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
> deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.
>
> If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
> account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
> behavior. That's on their end, not yours. All Outlook can do is issue
> the DELE command and hope the server obeys.
outlookmvp (5838)

Disableing items in CLIstCtrl
Hello, Is there a way to disable an item in CListCtrl so that the item is gray out and a user won't be able to select it. Thank You! At this point I think you have to go to an owner-draw list control and do it yourself. You also have to prevent the selection from happening. joe On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:03:17 -0400, "Ririko Horvath" <horvathr@securemethods.com> wrote: >Hello, > > Is there a way to disable an item in CListCtrl so that the item is gray >out and a user won't be able to select it. > >Thank You! > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]...

Is there a way to empty the Deleted Items folder by date?
Is there a way to get Outlook to delete items in the Deleted Items folder that have been in there for some period of time (1 week, 1 month, ???)? I know there is a Tools option to empty it on exit, but I sometimes want to recover a file a few days later. FivePoundBag wrote: > Is there a way to get Outlook to delete items in the Deleted Items > folder that have been in there for some period of time (1 week, 1 > month, ???)? > > I know there is a Tools option to empty it on exit, but I sometimes > want to recover a file a few days later. Use AutoArchive. Enable the global...

Setting up Server information
I would like to know how to locate incoming and outgoing mail server information. Another problem I have is knowledge about how many various email account types I can use as I have an email address with yahoo and msn. -- Microsoft questioning "inevitable" <inevitable@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E8A5145-F746-40B1-B40F-48AD423E816E@microsoft.com... >I would like to know how to locate incoming and outgoing mail server > information. Another problem I have is knowledge about how many various > email > account types I can use as I have an ema...

OWA
SBS 2003 SP1, Exch 2003 SP2, FBA w/ SSL. If I add/delete a calendar event via OWA, I get a 5.1.7 NDR in my Inbox (pasted below). The calendar item is added/delete, and I see it in OWA or Outlook. I haven't seen any other posts similar to this, nothing on MS support. Any clues? ========== Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Sent: 12/21/2006 8:24 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: System Attendant on 12/21/2006 8:24 AM The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or t...

Automatic transactions download setup
I would like to set up transaction downloads for an account at a mutual fund brokerage. I have one account with seven different funds. When I tried to add this account for auto downloads, it made each of the funds accounts, and ignored the exsiting account. I have not had this problem with other brokerages. Why on this one? It is American Century. Thanks When you go onto the web site of American Century, does each fund show up under 1 account or under separate accounts? -- Neil "Globfly" <Globfly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE23B547-5E89-4...

Contacts appear as mail items
Hi - Contacts from the Exchange server appear as mail items. WebDAV and HTTP Keep Alives are enabled. Any other suggestions to correct the problem? Thanks! Amy Cottrell <acottrell@getapproved.com> wrote: > Hi - Contacts from the Exchange server appear as mail items. WebDAV and > HTTP Keep Alives are enabled. Any other suggestions to correct the problem? This is a limitation in the current version of Entourage. See <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq/exchange_server.html#anchor-exup1>. Note followups...there is an Entourage-specific newsgroup. -- Adam Bailey | ...

Server error
Hi all i m sending this request to google server GET http://www.google.com/reader/atom/%s/private/full HTTP/1.0\r \nAuthorization: GoogleLogin auth=%s\r\n\r\n" , strUserName(Usermailid) , strAuthKey(Authtikation key) ); it is giving such kind of Message (The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.<p></p> Please try again in 30 seconds.) So firstly i waited for some time but after waiting such a long time it is giving same kind of Message . one other query if the url is wrong then it gives the same kind of message or somethin...

Update Download problem
I downloaded the latest update for Outlook 2000. I did NOT have the installation cd handy. Okay, usually no problem, the instal quits. However this time, it did quit, yet now I am unable to open excel. It launches the instal program. The download was for Outlook. It has me boggled. Outlook, Word and Access open with no known problems. I have tried to open excel different times/ways. It continues to try to load the update. Any reasoning on the subject??? Thanks* ...

Foundation and Server
Is Sharepoint Foundation 2010 an essential if I am going to install Sharepoint Server 2010? ...

Outlook not removing deleted messages from server
I have a gmail account and Outlook 2007 is configured to leave the messages on the POP3 server, but to remove the messages from the server when deleted from the "deleted items" folder. So, I downloaded all of my email (approx 17,000 messages), deleted some messages I don't want any more and emptied the "deleted items" folder, but the messages are not removed from the server. I've tried it several times in several different ways, always with the same result. I can delete the local copy on my PC, but the server copy is never removed. "sparx&qu...

Disable recall message on the server
Hi, Is there a way to disable or turn off message recall on the server side? I do not care if it still shows up on the users outlook client, but management would like to make it so it never works on our server. We are using Exch 2003 sp1. Thanks, Debra In news:191B223A-D29E-406E-BE23-D378B9647B2A@microsoft.com, Debra <Debra@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi, > > Is there a way to disable or turn off message recall on the server > side? I do not care if it still shows up on the users outlook > client, but management would like to make it so it never works on...

Outlook Client: Change the On Line Server address
Hi, Is it possible to change the address of the CRM server that the Outlook Client uses to syncronise? -- Thanks in advance Chris Hi Chris, You can make this change by editing the following registry key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSCRMClient\ServerUrl. The usual warning - please be careful while making registry edits! HTH, Niths "BoltonWolf" wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to change the address of the CRM server that the Outlook > Client uses to syncronise? > -- > Thanks in advance > Chris Thanks for that, I think that works ok. I'...

stop mail from automatically downloading
Please help! How do i stop e-mail from automatically downloading when I start Outlook? I don't always want my mail downloaded and can't find any help on this subject anywhere! I was also advised to try this: When you close Outlook while working in Off-line mode File-> Work Off Line. Outlook will also start in Off-line mode. I'm going to try them both Thank you >-----Original Message----- >Referring to Outlook 2000 (assume other versions not too different): > >Tools>Options>Mail Delivery. Uncheck "Check for messages ...." Messages will not be down...

HELP! When I removed Office XP did I lose by inbox file?
I didn't archive my inbox and personal folders before removing Office XP. Now I have reinstalled Office XP and thought I could find my old data files. but all of the import and repair tools work with PST which I don't have. I remember that previously there were seperate inbox files and can not find them now. Thank you for your input. Ron Be sure to show hidden and system files on your computer and then do a search for *.pst. This should get you started... "Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:093b01c3ba63$265a8120$a401280a@phx.gbl....

Item backorders on Inventory Transfer to Site
Hi all, Is there any way to leave a qty on "backorder" on an Inventory Transfer ? For example, we want to transfer 10 of item ABC to another site. The main site only has 4 right now. How do we have the system track that the other site still requires an additional 6 units of that item, and when the main site receives more of item ABC, it should flag that the other site still requires them. We will be using the order points to give us suggested levels, but there are times when we require more, and want the system to track that ? Any ideas.... Thanks, Chris B. ...

how to mark emails in deleted items as read automatically???
Hi How to mark emails in deleted items as read automatically??? Now i've to right click en choose 'mark as read'. If looked in rules, but one can not make a rule on the map 'deleted items' . Or am I wrong. Peter Peter, I think that you can go to options and st teh setting there. If I can remember right the option is "mark all deleted items as read". I don't know the version of Outlook you are woking in but it should be there. Hoop jy kom reg!! Marais van Zyl >-----Original Message----- >Hi > >How to mark emails in deleted items as read...

How to remove the last separator from toolbar
Hi, I need to add/remove some buttons from the toolbar depends on user settings. But after I remove the buttons, there is a separator at the end of the toolbar. Is there any way I can remove the separator? Thanks, Lucy This might seem like a stupid question, but how are you removing a button from CToolbar? AliR. <lucyh3h@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1169232478.123890.276230@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I need to add/remove some buttons from the toolbar depends on user > settings. But after I remove the buttons, there is a separator at the > end of ...

POP3 collection from mailboxes on Exchange 2000
Hi We're running SBS 2000 and I want to allow remote users to download their mail from the Exchange server using POP3. As a test, I've telnetted to the host's port 110 but can only obtain mail for the administrator's account and none of the users. The message is simply a security-related message, the exact text of which I can't recall. I have tried it on two Exchange 2000 servers, with the same results. We've also done the same test on an NT server running Exchange 5.5 and that allows us to collect from other users' mailboxes without any difficulty. It just se...

list.remove() crash.
Hi: I have a short code below which polulats a list with 3 strings and then try to remove them by calling list.remove(). but the program crashes at the 2nd run in the loop (as marked below). Could you see anything I'm doing wrong? Thanks for your input. Polaris ------------------------------------------------------------- #include <list> typedef std::list <char*>::iterator LI; int main (int argc, char* argv[]) { char* array[] = { { "Test1" }, { "Test2" }, { "Test3" } }; ...

Exchange 2003 pop3 connector events 1036, 1023 and 1019
Since we installed SBS 2003 in November, 2003, we have had some problems with email not being able to be sent or received. If we check the event log, we see errors for every pop3 email account every 15 minutes when the Exchange server goes to check for new messages. We can fix this by running the Connect to Internet Wizard (not making any changes to the settings, just running the wizard) and restarting the server. When the server boots, everyone will receive the all the email they missed when the server was down. Here are examples from the event log: Event ID 1036 An error occurred during ...

Removing last 5.5 server
We migrated from NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5 to Win 2003 and Exchange 2003. The ADC was installed to move the mailboxes from the old server to the new one. While the new Exchange server was installed into the new AD domain it was also installed into the old Exchange 5.5 "site". In system manager we have one Administrative Group which shows both servers. If I select the properties from this group it shows the old domain and administrator account. Is this correct? Do I need to be concerned if I remove the old Exchange server? I have followed all of the other instructions from the MS...

Outlook Setup Error: Server not yet upgraded
Hey all, I have a MS CRM 3.0 client working fine for months now. Seems that one user left, so they repurposed their laptop for a new hire (without removing CRM first). When I try to install the Outlook client, I get this error: Microsoft CRM for Outlook setup error: Your Microsoft CRM Server application has not yet been upgraded. Upgrade Microsoft CRM Server first, and then try upgrading Microsoft CRM for Outlook again. Sounds like there are some old entries in the registry ? Anybody come across this, and better yet, know of a solution? Thanks, Dave Dave, never see your error but t...

FTP upload to Server
I'd like to use the Save-On-Close Macro to automatically perform an FTP upload to save the file to my server site. Before I try to write the macro code, I need to figure out how to do it manually. I'm running Excel97 under WinXP. I could probably write (with lots of learning) a .bat file to do the job using a separate FTP application, but then I'd have to install that file on all machines from which file was to be uploaded. The help menu says: On File Menu - Click "Save as" in "save in" box, click internet locations (FTP) [ I only find a comman...

Read XML into Dataset and load SQL server table from Dataset
Hello all, I am working on a project with the following characteristics: 1. Load data from a SQL server table to an xml file 2. Read the xml file into a dataset. 3. Load data from the dataset into another SQL server table. I was able to accomplish the first objective. I used the following code to read the generated xml file into a dataset. Dim strXml As String = "C:\Customers.xml" Dim sr As StreamReader = New StreamReader(strXml) Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet ds.ReadXml(sr, XmlReadMode.IgnoreSchema) How can I traverse in the dataset and post each row to my desired table on ...

Removing lines and/or borders
how do I remove a line or border that only appears on normal view not print preview? If this is not part of your print preview, it is simply the gridlines outline the cells in your working window. If you want to turn these off as well, select Options from the Tools menu, select the View tab, then uncheck the Gridlines checkbox. -- Thanks, Deb "mystical_ways" wrote: > how do I remove a line or border that only appears on normal view not print > preview? ...