POP3 not removing items from the server after download

I have Outlook 2010 and my e-mail provider is BT Yahoo.  I have always had
Outlook configured to remove items from the server after they have
downloaded and this has worked perfectly well for years.  From Friday 26th
August after downloading e-mails they are not being removed from the BT
Yahoo server.  Instead they are transferred from the BT Yahoo Inbox to the
BT Yahoo Trash file.  I have checked my Outlook Account Settings and they
are still as they were.  I have set up a new Outlook Profile and that has
the same result after downloading.

The only thing that I have changed is the location of my .pst file.  Because
I upgraded a few months ago, the .pst file stayed in Users - AppData - Local
and I have now moved it to the Outlook Files folder in My Documents.  I have
a PC and a Laptop so have set the .pst in Outlook Files to be shared so I
can pick up that folder no matter whether I use my laptop or PC in the
house.  But I did that on Wednesday night and the downloading issue was not
there on Thursday (and the same downloading issue also happens if I use my
laptop).

BT has checked and its technicians are puzzled.  They are looking into it
further.

Has anyone heard of this happening elsewhere?  Could a Microsoft update have
made some Registry change which has caused the issue to happen?

David

David Patterson wrote:

> I have Outlook 2010 and my e-mail provider is BT Yahoo.  I have always had
> Outlook configured to remove items from the server after they have
> downloaded and this has worked perfectly well for years.  From Friday 26th
> August after downloading e-mails they are not being removed from the BT
> Yahoo server.  Instead they are transferred from the BT Yahoo Inbox to the
> BT Yahoo Trash file.  I have checked my Outlook Account Settings and they
> are still as they were.  I have set up a new Outlook Profile and that has
> the same result after downloading.
>
> The only thing that I have changed is the location of my .pst file.  Because
> I upgraded a few months ago, the .pst file stayed in Users - AppData - Local
> and I have now moved it to the Outlook Files folder in My Documents.  I have
> a PC and a Laptop so have set the .pst in Outlook Files to be shared so I
> can pick up that folder no matter whether I use my laptop or PC in the
> house.  But I did that on Wednesday night and the downloading issue was not
> there on Thursday (and the same downloading issue also happens if I use my
> laptop).
>
> BT has checked and its technicians are puzzled.  They are looking into it
> further.
>
> Has anyone heard of this happening elsewhere?  Could a Microsoft update have
> made some Registry change which has caused the issue to happen?
>
> David

A POP client can only send the DELEte command to request the server to
remove an item by its UID from your mailbox.  POP only understands the
concept of a mailbox.  There are no folders in a POP mailbox.  POP has
no folder commands.  Any folders that are presented in the web interface
to your e-mail account are solely created by that webmail interface.  A
POP client can only access the mailbox (which is the Inbox folder
presented by the webmail interface).

For most webmail services, deleting an item from its Inbox (which is the
mailbox that your POP client can access) means moving it into their
Trash folder.  So, from your description, Yahoo is behaving correctly.
If deleting an Inbox item used to make the item disappear (not get moved
by the server from your Inbox to the Trash folder) then there would have
to be an option to permanently delete instead of delete (which moves the
item from Inbox to Trash).  Sorry, I don't use Yahoo for e-mail via POP
(because it's not free for yahoo.com) but what you describe (DELE
command from POP client has item moved from webmail Inbox folder to
webmail Trash folder) is what happens with other webmail providers that
I use that grant POP access.  While you are using a POP client, their
webmail client like Outlook in that deleting an Inbox item moves it to
the Trash folder (which gets emptied periodically).

You cannot see the Junk and Trash folders in your webmail account using
a POP client.  You would have to login to Yahoo's webmail interface to
see those folders.  If you are seeing those folders in Outlook then you
are now using IMAP instead of POP; however, I didn't think that Yahoo
have IMAP access and just offered POP access (but I don't use BT for my
ISP and they may have something differently setup with the Yahoo-
contracted services for BT).  Are you using POP, as you say, or IMAP to
access your e-mail account?

If your complaint is that Outlook, while configured as a POP client, is
moving a deleted Inbox item into the Trash folder when viewing your
account using their webmail interface, that's how normally works.  Their
server moves the item despite that Outlook as a POP client can only
access the Inbox folder (the mailbox) and issue the DELE command.
While Outlook as requested a DELEte of the item from your mailbox, their
webmail service will instead move it from the webmail Inbox folder to
the webmail Trash folder.  When I log into mail.yahoo.com and go under
my accounts options, I see no option to change this behavior (to
permanently delete an item instead of do the pseudo-delete by moving
into the Trash folder).

If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
configured to behave that way.  I don't have OL2010.  In OL2003, under
an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
issuing the RETRieve command.  When Outlook sends the DELE command
depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.

If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
behavior.  That's on their end, not yours.  All Outlook can do is issue
the DELE command and hope the server obeys.
0
V4521 (722)
8/28/2011 4:24:20 PM
Thank you.  Firstly, I do not have IMAP interface with BT Yahoo so I do not
see any of BT Yahoo's folders in Outlook unless I go into its webmail.  It
is a POP access.  I always have the webmail open and scan it before I
download anything.  This is how I picked up that BT Yahoo has now begun to
action the DELEte command from Outlook by moving the items from the BT Yahoo
Inbox to the BT Yahoo Trash folder.  All I can repeat, ad nauseam, is that
for years the items have been completely removed from the BT server.  That
suddenly changed from the 26th August.

I think from what you are saying is that the problem is with BT so when they
contact me again tomorrow I hope that they may have some idea as to what has
happened.

David.

"VanguardLH"  wrote in message news:j3dq2l$7t1$1@news.albasani.net...

David Patterson wrote:

> [...]

If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
configured to behave that way.  I don't have OL2010.  In OL2003, under
an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
issuing the RETRieve command.  When Outlook sends the DELE command
depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.

If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
behavior.  That's on their end, not yours.  All Outlook can do is issue
the DELE command and hope the server obeys.

I've now had an update from BT.  They have now a number of other users
experiencing the same issue.  They think it is a problem with the Yahoo
server so have "raised a ticket" for it to be investigated.

David

David Patterson wrote:

> [...]

If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
configured to behave that way.  I don't have OL2010.  In OL2003, under
an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
issuing the RETRieve command.  When Outlook sends the DELE command
depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.

If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
behavior.  That's on their end, not yours.  All Outlook can do is issue
the DELE command and hope the server obeys.

it's possible Yahoo did it intentionally - hotmail now moves mail to a
different folder when its deleted from the server. This prevents
problems when users set up new accounts and forget to change the setting
to leave on server.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com

On 8/29/2011 8:14 PM, David Patterson wrote:
> [...]
>
> If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
> after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
> configured to behave that way. I don't have OL2010. In OL2003, under
> an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
> is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
> If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
> issuing the RETRieve command. When Outlook sends the DELE command
> depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
> deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.
>
> If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
> account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
> behavior. That's on their end, not yours. All Outlook can do is issue
> the DELE command and hope the server obeys.
outlookmvp (5838)

Transmitting Outlook data to a web server
I am looking for a solution on how to publish data in Outlook to a web server. A custom web app will be written to access the data published to its server and and display it in some special way. I will either need to write custom VBA for Outlook that transmits the data to the web server or use some third-party tool that integrates into Outlook that will transmit the data for me. The data is sent in only one direction - from client to server. The data on the server is read- only. Whenever the user changes data in Outlook, either it gets sent to the server automatically (the preferred wa...

Bank of America and Direct Download
Hi, I have Direct Download with Money 2007 working fine and I'm with BoA WA. However, the transactions do not appear in the same way as when I used the old OFX web download from the BoA site. Previously with web download the transactions would appear with the name of the Payee in the Pay To field. Now with direct download, I just get PURCHASE and then a string of numbers (the transaction ID I guess). This also then appears in Memo and with the actual Payee at the very end of the string. I don't like this new system as in the standard account view I only see numbers under Payee...

How do I remove a second similar option in Office Live beta
When I click on 'Open' or 'Save' for 'Office Live' in 2002 version of MS Word I have two identical drop down choices. How do I get rid of the second choice. (e.g. Open is clicked and two choices appear, both saying, 'Sign in to Office Live Workspace beta'. ...

ActiveSync Problem with E-Mail Items
Hi! We deployed Exchange 2003. Our clients use also ActiveSync by using their Pocket PCs. Active Sync works well for all users except one. He uses Qtek 9100 Pocket PC (ActiveSync 4.1 + Windows Mobile 2005). He can syncronize all items such as contacts, calendar, etc. with his Pocket PC. But cannot synchronize e-mails!!! First, the Pocket PC shows how many e-mails there are to synchronize. Then it stops the synchronizing and gives the following error back: "Activesync encountered a problem on the desktop support code: 86000108" There is no error protocol on the server side. ...

Server copies of mail are deleted
I upgraded from Outlook 2003 to 2007 and now all my sever copies of e-mails are deleted, they were not with 2003. Where's the tick box \ setting to stop server side deletions once mail is downloaded?? Constructive assisstance appreciated!! It's in tools, account settings, open the account and click more settings - advanced tab. See http://www.slipstick.com/Tutorials/more/settings.htm if you need help finding it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook T...

auto reply using "have server reply" option... problem
Hi, I am in the middle of migrating to Exchange 2003 and I have several accounts that needs to auto-reply when they receive a message. I have used the 'have server reply' option but it seems like it only works to emails sent inside the Exchange organisation. How do I make it reply to people outside my Exchange Organisation? Thanks, Christian Hi Check if Exchange is preventing automatic replies to external recipients.Open Inernet Message Formats and verify the allow automatic replies setting. /Daniel "Christian Jensen" <ads@peugeot205.dk> wrote in message news:44...

saving sent items on IMAP server
In Outlook Express you are given the option to save sent items on the IMAP server, but Outlook doesn't seem to have this option. All sent items are stored locally. Does anyone know a way to store sent items or drafts on an IMAP server using Outlook (rather than Outlook Express)? ...

Outlook attachments not sent but attached in my sent items.
Outlook 2003, SP2, XP SP2, all updates applied. Quickbooks automatically generates emails with pdf invoices attached and sends them. After they are sent they appear in my "sent" items with the correct attachment. I can open the attachment and view it. Unfortunately the receiver doesn't get any attachment. Not even a .dat. This happens in about 30% of cases. If I go to the sent item and forward it to the same recipient the attachment is now attached. From this I figure that the receivers virus scanning or similar isn't responsible. It must be when the email is generated by ...

how to remove the first exchange 2003 server
Can anyone please send me information on how to remove the first exchange 2003 server. I have two Exchange 2003 servers. Thanks "hanna chalhoub" <hannac@newhorizons.com.lb> wrote: >Can anyone please send me information on how to remove the first exchange >2003 server. I have two Exchange 2003 servers. > >Thanks > The title's a bit off but this should contain all the steps you need: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307917 Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm Blog: http://www.msexchange.me.u...

after to try add DC win 2008 into AD server 2003, dns problems
Hello. For a situation that has happened. My domain, Midominio.com example, running on a Server 2003 Standard Edition, with DNS name resolution server as Active Directory integrated. So far so good! The client requested a new server to integrate with Windows 2008 Server enterprise edition, as additional domain controller. I then decided to implement: 1) adprep / forestprep 2) adprep / domainprep / gpprep The system reported ok. Then on the server 2008, I ran dcpromo / adv TCPIP with the following configuration: a) Server 2003 domain controller: ip: 192.168.1.10 / 16; dns: 192.16...

Stupid attachment message
In microsoft Outlook 2002, Win XP, if I click on a Word document and select Send to Email Recipient, my email message has the following in it's body - EVERY time! I then have to go in to the body of the email and delete it. The message is: "The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:..." Does anyone know how I can disable this and stop it from happening? your input would be muchly 'preciated. Thanks! Darth To prevent this you need to create a new shortcut. Go to the the shortcut directory in Windows (eg in XP this is "C:\Documen...

Remove duplicate enries with blank fields
I need to create a key word index for past issues of a magazine. Th index will be published on the publisher's website. Key words, title and issues are collected in an Excel file, and are alphabeticall sorted. One keyword can have multiple references to articles, but fo eastethic reasons I want to remove duplicate keywords while off cours maintaining the title and issue info. The result should look like this http://www.belastingzaken.nl/trefwoordenregister/P.htm (it's Dutch) I have deleted duplicate key words manually, but since I need to updat this index each month that's just ...

SMTP Server State Not Available (?)
I'm not sure what happened, but my Win2003 SP1 / Exchange 2003 SP2 server which is providing email and web services to me looks quirky this morning. I *think* all mail is being properly delivered, but when I look in the queue in the Exchange System Manager, the Default SMTP Virtual Server shows a state of 'Not Available'. I used to be able to see all the SMTP connections to various mail servers. Is this a problem and what do I need to do to fix it? I was trying to get OMA working yesterday but I bailed on that attempt since this is a production server. Thanks, Rob On F...

TreeCtrl not showing my items
I have a MFC standard treectrl in a propertypage The page has an update method were I deleteallitems in the tree and then inserts new one. But it doesnt show any items, after deleteallitems is called... I can by selecting in the ui with my mouse manually expand the list by clicking in upper left corner and then press * in numkeypad, but if I use ensure visible or expand method it doesnt give the same effect... EnsureVisible returns FALSE by the way.... The code looks something like this m_pTree->DeleteAllItems(); // ... hItem = m_pTree->InsertItem(&tvInsert); ...

Please remove : Nick Berg alive
Hello All, Could you please remove the message abut Nick Berg the zip file has a virus. Posting of file: 8/3/04 In Excel Charts Forum ...

Repeated request to enter user name and psw for pop3 account
Hi, Outlook asks me repeatedly to enter user name and psw for my pop3 account on pop.mail.yahoo.com I verified the user name and psw on Yahoo webmail and reentered the username and psw into outlook/email accounts. Still, every time it does send/receive, the window "Enter Network Password" pops up... Vista home premium SP1, office 2007 SP2 Thank you for your help. On 12/29/2009 10:46 AM, Erik wrote: > Hi, > Outlook asks me repeatedly to enter user name and psw for my pop3 > account on pop.mail.yahoo.com > I verified the user name and psw on Yahoo web...

Investment Account Download
My wife and I both have Retirement Accounts with The Vanguard Group. Whether or not I open her file in Money 2006, when I download HER Statement it automatically goes to MY Account. I've tried everything I know...Downloading with her account open in Money, closed in money, and no matter what I do Money automatically thinks it's my Account. Any help available? Thanks -- Jerry In microsoft.public.money, Jerry <jyeagley3@comcast.net(donotspam)> wrote: >My wife and I both have Retirement Accounts with The Vanguard Group. Whether >or not I open her file in Money 2006, wh...

virtual server problem
I have win 2000 and exchange 2000, and every few hours messages get stuck in queue and I must delete all messages and then it sometimes start to work but sometimes I must create new virtual server and only than it starts to work, any ideas? Thank you On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:27:02 -0800, "dominic" <dominic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have win 2000 and exchange 2000, and every few hours messages get stuck in >queue and I must delete all messages and then it sometimes start to work but >sometimes I must create new virtual server and only than it starts to...

Store pdf file to SQL server throu ODBC
Hi, I want to store PDF file to SQL table having varbinary(MAX) field type from access. I have create an ODBC link to the server but don't know how to add the file. Could someone advice? SF ...

Deleted Items #9
This concerns Outlook 2003: I have a user who cannot recover any deleted items from his Outlook. As emails are deleted, they appear to be permanently deleted. When you highlight the deleted items folder and go to tools|recover deleted items, there are no emails available for restoration. Am I missing a setting somewhere? TIA. Jim Hi Jim; First click on the deleted folder and check if there are any contents. if you see your mails, just drag and drop or highlight them using the shift key and mouse. then Move then to the Inbox. However, the deleted item box is empty, that means the...

POP3 on Exchange2003
Hello, I need POP3 access to an email account on Exchange 2000 (soon to be 2003) server. I need this to automate something using a third party application which can only use POP3. I am getting a lot of pushback from the Exchange group regarding this with respect to additional maintenance and security. I believe one can tie up POP3 access to specific IP address to address the security aspect of it but am not quite sure what the additional mainteance issue is. Our Exchange group talks about having to create and maintain a POP3 service but isn't that like any other service Microsoft provide...

SQL Server Express
I can't find a discussion group for SQL Server Express, so if this isn't the right place to ask this question, please refer me to the correct one. I'm about to recommend to a client that they move their data from Access to SQL Server. I understand from the documentation that SQL Server Express would meet their needs for the time being. I believe that the full version of SQL Server maintains an audit log of all changes to the data, without requiring programming, but I can't find any documentation that assures me that capability is available in the Express versi...

Permission for export in file server
I used code "ds.WriteXml" to export dataset to xml to a file server (Not web server. This folder do not have web share) server name: allorder folder and path: d:\order2009\ file name: neworder.xml How to tell newwork guy to setup permission for this folder (order2009)? -- Message posted via DotNetMonster.com http://www.dotnetmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/asp-net/200911/1 On Nov 12, 5:36=A0pm, "aspfun via DotNetMonster.com" <u53138@uwe> wrote: > I used code "ds.WriteXml" to export dataset to xml to a file server =A0(N= ot web > ...

Exchange Server 2007 Hub Transport errors
Good Morning everyone, I have an issue with trying to submit mail. When I draft a message and press send in OWA or via MAPI (Outlook 2003 & Outlook 2007), the message ends up in the DRAFTS folder. (NOT THE SENT ITEMS or the OUTBOX). When troubleshooting via the ExTA there is a reference to the MSExchangeTransport service not starting. When I attempt to start the service, it will start; however, it stops "on it's own" without any intervention. When I check the Event Viewer this is what I see: Source: MSExchangeTransport Category: Storage Event ID: 17002 Descri...

Internal and external IP email servers
here is my problem: Our office email server is assigned a fixed external IP: 63.203.X.X I set up Outlook to look on that server IP and it correctly gets it's email. When I am in the office network instead i cannot "see" the 63.203.X.X IP address and instead have to use it's internal IP address of 10.0.0.10. I thus have two email account's. I am not a techie, but i am slightly conversant in NAT and firewall setup if that is the problem. Can you suggest ways of seeing the external IP address from inside the network? Coppernob wrote: > here is my problem: > > ...