Please recommend a good newsreader?

I read and post to newsgroups daily.

Sometimes I subscribe to a variety of different newsgroups and post in
different newsgroups.

Sometimes in sci.math, sometimes in programming related, sometimes in sports
related, sometimes move on to another nntp server, for example, Micorsoft
News server to ask techinical questions... , etc.

Is there a software can collect what I have post and what other people
replied and present them in front me in an efficient and uniform way, and
with new replies arrival pop-up/notification feature?

Currently I am using Outlook Express. It is not convinient at all.

I post on different groups. Then I have to go back and click on each groups
to see if there are replies to my postings... And a lot of times they don't
get reply. And maybe after 15 days they got reply. I tend to forgot myself.
And some newsgroups are so hot that my postings got washed away in half a
day... then I have to scroll down many message headers to find my own
postings... and a lot of times such searching takes much time. Then I reply
to other people's replies and they reply too and then such tedious procedure
repeats.

If some discussion is meaningful. We'd like to save. But Outlook Express
does not save conversations in a nice-looking way. Maybe I want to save as
PDF. But the layout should be neat and easy to read.

Outlook Express also does not have auto-filling feature. So specify a list
of newsgroups to post is also painful.

Google groups web-based newsreader is a lot better. But still has
shortcomings. The worst shortcoming is it does not allow subscription to MS
newsservers.

Please recommend a good newsreader, does Outlook 2003 has these features?
thank you so much!

http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

> does Outlook 2003 has these features?

OL doesn't have this ability itself. OL uses Outlook Express as
newsreader.

--
Best Regards
Christian Goeller

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I read and post to newsgroups daily.
>
> Sometimes I subscribe to a variety of different newsgroups and post in different
> newsgroups.
>
> Sometimes in sci.math, sometimes in programming related, sometimes in sports
> related, sometimes move on to another nntp server, for example, Micorsoft News
> server to ask techinical questions... , etc.
>
> Is there a software can collect what I have post and what other people replied and
> present them in front me in an efficient and uniform way, and with new replies
> arrival pop-up/notification feature?
>
> Currently I am using Outlook Express. It is not convinient at all.
>
> I post on different groups. Then I have to go back and click on each groups to see
> if there are replies to my postings... And a lot of times they don't get reply. And
> maybe after 15 days they got reply. I tend to forgot myself. And some newsgroups
> are so hot that my postings got washed away in half a day... then I have to scroll
> down many message headers to find my own postings... and a lot of times such
> searching takes much time. Then I reply to other people's replies and they reply
> too and then such tedious procedure repeats.
>
> If some discussion is meaningful. We'd like to save. But Outlook Express does not
> save conversations in a nice-looking way. Maybe I want to save as PDF. But the
> layout should be neat and easy to read.
>
> Outlook Express also does not have auto-filling feature. So specify a list of
> newsgroups to post is also painful.
>
> Google groups web-based newsreader is a lot better. But still has shortcomings. The
> worst shortcoming is it does not allow subscription to MS newsservers.
>
> Please recommend a good newsreader, does Outlook 2003 has these features? thank you
> so much!

0
gsauer (5093)
9/21/2005 9:44:19 AM
By cross-posting, you waste the time of many good people who read,
research, and try to answer your question(s). You cross-posted this
message on approximately eight newsgroups. That's ridiculous.

"networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I read and post to newsgroups daily.
>
> Sometimes I subscribe to a variety of different newsgroups and post
> in different newsgroups.
>
> Sometimes in sci.math, sometimes in programming related, sometimes
> in sports related, sometimes move on to another nntp server, for
> example, Micorsoft News server to ask techinical questions... , etc.
>
> Is there a software can collect what I have post and what other
> people replied and present them in front me in an efficient and
> uniform way, and with new replies arrival pop-up/notification
> feature?
>
> Currently I am using Outlook Express. It is not convinient at all.
>
> I post on different groups. Then I have to go back and click on each
> groups to see if there are replies to my postings... And a lot of
> times they don't get reply. And maybe after 15 days they got reply.
> I tend to forgot myself. And some newsgroups are so hot that my
> postings got washed away in half a day... then I have to scroll down
> many message headers to find my own postings... and a lot of times
> such searching takes much time. Then I reply to other people's
> replies and they reply too and then such tedious procedure repeats.
>
> If some discussion is meaningful. We'd like to save. But Outlook
> Express does not save conversations in a nice-looking way. Maybe I
> want to save as PDF. But the layout should be neat and easy to read.
>
> Outlook Express also does not have auto-filling feature. So specify
> a list of newsgroups to post is also painful.
>
> Google groups web-based newsreader is a lot better. But still has
> shortcomings. The worst shortcoming is it does not allow
> subscription to MS newsservers.
>
> Please recommend a good newsreader, does Outlook 2003 has these
> features? thank you so much!

0
Jose2622 (15)
9/21/2005 12:15:33 PM

In news:e5%23vqYqvFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> typed:
> By cross-posting, you waste the time of many good people who read,
> research, and try to answer your question(s). You cross-posted this
> message on approximately eight newsgroups. That's ridiculous.

Although there are perhaps irrelevent groups included in the crosspost, it
doesn't exactly "waste anyone's time" to see something and not reply to it,
now, does it?
Crossposting is better than multiposting. Although, yes, it should be to a
small handful of relevant groups.

> "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I read and post to newsgroups daily.
>>
>> Sometimes I subscribe to a variety of different newsgroups and post
>> in different newsgroups.
>>
>> Sometimes in sci.math, sometimes in programming related, sometimes
>> in sports related, sometimes move on to another nntp server, for
>> example, Micorsoft News server to ask techinical questions... , etc.
>>
>> Is there a software can collect what I have post and what other
>> people replied and present them in front me in an efficient and
>> uniform way, and with new replies arrival pop-up/notification
>> feature?
>>
>> Currently I am using Outlook Express. It is not convinient at all.
>>
>> I post on different groups. Then I have to go back and click on each
>> groups to see if there are replies to my postings... And a lot of
>> times they don't get reply. And maybe after 15 days they got reply.
>> I tend to forgot myself. And some newsgroups are so hot that my
>> postings got washed away in half a day... then I have to scroll down
>> many message headers to find my own postings... and a lot of times
>> such searching takes much time. Then I reply to other people's
>> replies and they reply too and then such tedious procedure repeats.
>>
>> If some discussion is meaningful. We'd like to save. But Outlook
>> Express does not save conversations in a nice-looking way. Maybe I
>> want to save as PDF. But the layout should be neat and easy to read.
>>
>> Outlook Express also does not have auto-filling feature. So specify
>> a list of newsgroups to post is also painful.
>>
>> Google groups web-based newsreader is a lot better. But still has
>> shortcomings. The worst shortcoming is it does not allow
>> subscription to MS newsservers.
>>
>> Please recommend a good newsreader, does Outlook 2003 has these
>> features? thank you so much!

0
lanwench (7567)
9/21/2005 1:35:32 PM
I respectfully disagree with your assertion that it wastes nobody's
time to
cross-post a message requesting aid. There are many good, caring
people
who populate forums such as microsoft.public.outlook,
microsoft.public.word,
and microsoft.public.public.frontpage.client who do pause, research
your
problem, and respond to you from within in their favorite forums...not
realizing
someone else was doing the same research and writing similar advice
from
within another forum.

Cross-posting is nasty and selfish. It reveals a cross-poster as not
caring
about the burdens he/she places on others.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
message news:ODqnDRrvFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> In news:e5%23vqYqvFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> typed:
>> By cross-posting, you waste the time of many good people who read,
>> research, and try to answer your question(s). You cross-posted this
>> message on approximately eight newsgroups. That's ridiculous.
>
> Although there are perhaps irrelevent groups included in the
> crosspost, it doesn't exactly "waste anyone's time" to see something
> and not reply to it, now, does it?
> Crossposting is better than multiposting. Although, yes, it should
> be to a small handful of relevant groups.
>

>> "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I read and post to newsgroups daily.
>>>
>>> Sometimes I subscribe to a variety of different newsgroups and
>>> post
>>> in different newsgroups.
>>>
>>> Sometimes in sci.math, sometimes in programming related, sometimes
>>> in sports related, sometimes move on to another nntp server, for
>>> example, Micorsoft News server to ask techinical questions... ,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Is there a software can collect what I have post and what other
>>> people replied and present them in front me in an efficient and
>>> uniform way, and with new replies arrival pop-up/notification
>>> feature?
>>>
>>> Currently I am using Outlook Express. It is not convinient at all.
>>>
>>> I post on different groups. Then I have to go back and click on
>>> each
>>> groups to see if there are replies to my postings... And a lot of
>>> times they don't get reply. And maybe after 15 days they got
>>> reply.
>>> I tend to forgot myself. And some newsgroups are so hot that my
>>> postings got washed away in half a day... then I have to scroll
>>> down
>>> many message headers to find my own postings... and a lot of times
>>> such searching takes much time. Then I reply to other people's
>>> replies and they reply too and then such tedious procedure
>>> repeats.
>>>
>>> If some discussion is meaningful. We'd like to save. But Outlook
>>> Express does not save conversations in a nice-looking way. Maybe I
>>> want to save as PDF. But the layout should be neat and easy to
>>> read.
>>>
>>> Outlook Express also does not have auto-filling feature. So
>>> specify
>>> a list of newsgroups to post is also painful.
>>>
>>> Google groups web-based newsreader is a lot better. But still has
>>> shortcomings. The worst shortcoming is it does not allow
>>> subscription to MS newsservers.
>>>
>>> Please recommend a good newsreader, does Outlook 2003 has these
>>> features? thank you so much!

0
Jose2622 (15)
9/21/2005 2:21:41 PM
Uncle Joe,

I agree. The least one could do is make note in the message that the message
has been cross-posted. Also, as Lanwench pointed out, do not do it to a lot
of groups. I would say never more than three. This person's post had no
reason to use more than one group.

Gregg Hill

"Uncle Joe" <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> wrote in message
>I respectfully disagree with your assertion that it wastes nobody's time to
> cross-post a message requesting aid. There are many good, caring people
> who populate forums such as microsoft.public.outlook,
> microsoft.public.word,
> and microsoft.public.public.frontpage.client who do pause, research your
> problem, and respond to you from within in their favorite forums...not
> realizing
> someone else was doing the same research and writing similar advice from
> within another forum.
>
> Cross-posting is nasty and selfish. It reveals a cross-poster as not
> caring
> about the burdens he/she places on others.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:ODqnDRrvFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>

>> In news:e5%23vqYqvFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> typed:
>>> By cross-posting, you waste the time of many good people who read,
>>> research, and try to answer your question(s). You cross-posted this
>>> message on approximately eight newsgroups. That's ridiculous.
>>
>> Although there are perhaps irrelevent groups included in the crosspost,
>> it doesn't exactly "waste anyone's time" to see something and not reply
>> to it, now, does it?
>> Crossposting is better than multiposting. Although, yes, it should be to
>> a small handful of relevant groups.
>>

>>> "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
bogus9187 (191)
9/21/2005 2:49:03 PM
"networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a software can collect what I have post and what other people
> replied and present them in front me in an efficient and uniform way, and
> with new replies arrival pop-up/notification feature?

Since you do look in other newsgroups on other news servers, you should
subscribe to alt.comp.software.newsreaders or a similar group and ask your
question there.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

0
echos (11)
9/21/2005 3:06:29 PM
Frankly I don't agree with you!

I have only limited time so I want to cut directly to your point:

Crossing-post and seeking multiple answers at the same time is not a waste
of other people's time and it is not selfish.

You are limited by your viewscope.

You should look at this problem from higher level.

Why newsgroup? You want a place to get particular questions answered and
also for later references for other users. So the more propaganda of the
posts, the better in terms of the efficiency of later references from other
users' point-of-view. The helpers can also be benefited from seeing other
people has already answered partially before him/her. I like to search all
the forums before I post a question. So the more propaganda, the better.

Please remember these and don't limited by your own limited viewscope.

And put your time into more constructive meaningful work!

(Stop here. I don't have time to argue with you...)

"Uncle Joe" <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> wrote in message
>I respectfully disagree with your assertion that it wastes nobody's time to
> cross-post a message requesting aid. There are many good, caring people
> who populate forums such as microsoft.public.outlook,
> microsoft.public.word,
> and microsoft.public.public.frontpage.client who do pause, research your
> problem, and respond to you from within in their favorite forums...not
> realizing
> someone else was doing the same research and writing similar advice from
> within another forum.
>
> Cross-posting is nasty and selfish. It reveals a cross-poster as not
> caring
> about the burdens he/she places on others.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:ODqnDRrvFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>

>> In news:e5%23vqYqvFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> typed:
>>> By cross-posting, you waste the time of many good people who read,
>>> research, and try to answer your question(s). You cross-posted this
>>> message on approximately eight newsgroups. That's ridiculous.
>>
>> Although there are perhaps irrelevent groups included in the crosspost,
>> it doesn't exactly "waste anyone's time" to see something and not reply
>> to it, now, does it?
>> Crossposting is better than multiposting. Although, yes, it should be to
>> a small handful of relevant groups.
>>

>>> "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message

you should really broaden your viewscope and think more broadly...

"Uncle Joe" <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> wrote in message
>I respectfully disagree with your assertion that it wastes nobody's time to
> cross-post a message requesting aid. There are many good, caring people
> who populate forums such as microsoft.public.outlook,
> microsoft.public.word,
> and microsoft.public.public.frontpage.client who do pause, research your
> problem, and respond to you from within in their favorite forums...not
> realizing
> someone else was doing the same research and writing similar advice from
> within another forum.
>
> Cross-posting is nasty and selfish. It reveals a cross-poster as not
> caring
> about the burdens he/she places on others.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:ODqnDRrvFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>

>> In news:e5%23vqYqvFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> typed:
>>> By cross-posting, you waste the time of many good people who read,
>>> research, and try to answer your question(s). You cross-posted this
>>> message on approximately eight newsgroups. That's ridiculous.
>>
>> Although there are perhaps irrelevent groups included in the crosspost,
>> it doesn't exactly "waste anyone's time" to see something and not reply
>> to it, now, does it?
>> Crossposting is better than multiposting. Although, yes, it should be to
>> a small handful of relevant groups.
>>

>>> "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I don't agree!

networm wrote:
> Frankly I don't agree with you!
>
> I have only limited time so I want to cut directly to your point:
>
> Crossing-post and seeking multiple answers at the same time is not a
> waste of other people's time and it is not selfish.

That's fine, but NOT to more than THREE CLOSELY RELATED groups, which yours
most definitely are NOT.
What have groups concerned with developing vba got to do with choosing a
newsreader? Nothing at all.

0
gordon7598 (483)
9/21/2005 6:22:43 PM
Of course you don't agree. Who among us would
have expected you to suddenly become contrite,
thoughtful, and sensitive to others who unfortunately
waste their valuable time researching and posting
replies to your inane questions?

>I don't agree!
>
> "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Uncle Joe,
>>
>> I agree. The least one could do is make note in the message that
>> the message has been cross-posted. Also, as Lanwench pointed out,
>> do not do it to a lot of groups. I would say never more than three.
>> This person's post had no reason to use more than one group.
>>
>> Gregg Hill
>>

>> "Uncle Joe" <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> wrote in message
>>>I respectfully disagree with your assertion that it wastes nobody's
>>>time to
>>> cross-post a message requesting aid. There are many good, caring
>>> people
>>> who populate forums such as microsoft.public.outlook,
>>> microsoft.public.word,
>>> and microsoft.public.public.frontpage.client who do pause,
>>> research your
>>> problem, and respond to you from within in their favorite
>>> forums...not realizing
>>> someone else was doing the same research and writing similar
>>> advice from
>>> within another forum.
>>>
>>> Cross-posting is nasty and selfish. It reveals a cross-poster as
>>> not caring
>>> about the burdens he/she places on others.
>>>
>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote
>>> in message news:ODqnDRrvFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

0
Jose2622 (15)
9/21/2005 6:29:28 PM
networm wrote:
> Frankly I don't agree with you!
>
> I have only limited time so I want to cut directly to your point:
>
> Crossing-post and seeking multiple answers at the same time is not a
> waste of other people's time and it is not selfish.

And you've also posted this same question in windows xp basics AND all THESE
groups as well,
windowsxp.help_and_support, windowsxp.device.driver.dev (what the HELL has
THAT got to do with a newsreader?), windowsxp.general, and
windowsxp.setup_deployment (again, what the HELL has THAT got to do with a
newsreader?)

You are rapidly going to get plonked or thrown into the Bozo bin if you
don't amend your posting manner.

0
gordon7598 (483)
9/21/2005 6:30:08 PM
Dear Net Police:

Sorry, it may not be something you like but it is not illegal. If you don't
like it then you have choices: ignore the message, block the poster.

Or post in a relevant newsgroup- your subject matter is not relevant to the
newsgroup. That is at least as bad.

"Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Uncle Joe,
>
> I agree. The least one could do is make note in the message that the
> message has been cross-posted. Also, as Lanwench pointed out, do not do it
> to a lot of groups. I would say never more than three. This person's post
> had no reason to use more than one group.
>
> Gregg Hill
>

> "Uncle Joe" <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> wrote in message
>>I respectfully disagree with your assertion that it wastes nobody's time
>> cross-post a message requesting aid. There are many good, caring people
>> who populate forums such as microsoft.public.outlook,
>> microsoft.public.word,
>> and microsoft.public.public.frontpage.client who do pause, research your
>> problem, and respond to you from within in their favorite forums...not
>> realizing
>> someone else was doing the same research and writing similar advice from
>> within another forum.
>>
>> Cross-posting is nasty and selfish. It reveals a cross-poster as not
>> caring
>> about the burdens he/she places on others.
>>
>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>> message news:ODqnDRrvFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>>

>>> In news:e5%23vqYqvFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>>> Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> typed:
>>>
>>> Although there are perhaps irrelevent groups included in the crosspost,
>>> it doesn't exactly "waste anyone's time" to see something and not reply
>>> to it, now, does it?
>>> Crossposting is better than multiposting. Although, yes, it should be to
>>> a small handful of relevant groups.

0
alan8232 (157)
9/21/2005 6:44:51 PM
networm <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Please recommend a good newsreader, does Outlook 2003 has these
> features? thank you so much!

Outlook uses Outlook Express as its newsreader.  See if you like this one:
http://xnews.newsguy.com/
--
Brian Tillman
0
Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> wrote:

> By cross-posting, you waste the time of many good people who read,
> research, and try to answer your question(s). You cross-posted this
> message on approximately eight newsgroups. That's ridiculous.

No!  Crossposting is a Good Thing, because a real newsreader knows that a
message has been crossposted and will show the message to the reader only
once.  It's multiposting that's bad.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/21/2005 7:20:14 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:
> Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> wrote:
>
>> By cross-posting, you waste the time of many good people who read,
>> research, and try to answer your question(s). You cross-posted this
>> message on approximately eight newsgroups. That's ridiculous.
>
> No!  Crossposting is a Good Thing, because a real newsreader knows
> that a message has been crossposted and will show the message to the
> reader only once.  It's multiposting that's bad.

But not twice, to SIX different groups each time, at least THREE of which
were completely irrelevant!

0
gordon7598 (483)
9/21/2005 7:57:43 PM
Gordon <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> But not twice, to SIX different groups each time, at least THREE of
> which were completely irrelevant!

Granted.
--
Brian Tillman
0

In news:eCcdJfrvFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> typed:
> I respectfully disagree with your assertion that it wastes nobody's
> time to
> cross-post a message requesting aid. There are many good, caring
> people
> who populate forums such as microsoft.public.outlook,
> microsoft.public.word,
> and microsoft.public.public.frontpage.client who do pause, research
> your
> problem, and respond to you from within in their favorite forums...not
> realizing
> someone else was doing the same research and writing similar advice
> from
> within another forum.

Precisely so - that's why crossposting is better than multiposting. You've
got these backwards. Crossposting means, everyone sees everyone else's
replies, and nobody has to waste their time. Multiposting means, an
individual message is posted to each group, and nobody knows that some other
kind soul poured a lot of effort into answering the identical question in
another group.

> Cross-posting is nasty and selfish. It reveals a cross-poster as not
> caring
> about the burdens he/she places on others.

Again, I agree when it comes to multiposting. Not crossposting, because one
of the benefits of same is that there's only one message/thread - in
multiple groups - so everyone knows what else has been done.

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:ODqnDRrvFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>

>> In news:e5%23vqYqvFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> typed:
>>> By cross-posting, you waste the time of many good people who read,
>>> research, and try to answer your question(s). You cross-posted this
>>> message on approximately eight newsgroups. That's ridiculous.
>>
>> Although there are perhaps irrelevent groups included in the
>> crosspost, it doesn't exactly "waste anyone's time" to see something
>> and not reply to it, now, does it?
>> Crossposting is better than multiposting. Although, yes, it should
>> be to a small handful of relevant groups.
>>

>>> "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
lanwench (7567)
9/22/2005 3:10:21 AM
OK, using your "logic", you should post your messages in thousands of
newsgroup, thereby guaranteeing that you get a rapid response that will be
viewable later by the maximum number of people.

Pure F***ING rubbish, you moronic turd.

Post in a max of three related groups. What you propose is the equivalent of
SPAM.

Gregg

> you should really broaden your viewscope and think more broadly...
>
> "Uncle Joe" <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> wrote in message
>>I respectfully disagree with your assertion that it wastes nobody's time
>> cross-post a message requesting aid. There are many good, caring people
>> who populate forums such as microsoft.public.outlook,
>> microsoft.public.word,
>> and microsoft.public.public.frontpage.client who do pause, research your
>> problem, and respond to you from within in their favorite forums...not
>> realizing
>> someone else was doing the same research and writing similar advice from
>> within another forum.
>>
>> Cross-posting is nasty and selfish. It reveals a cross-poster as not
>> caring
>> about the burdens he/she places on others.
>>
>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>> message news:ODqnDRrvFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>>

>>> In news:e5%23vqYqvFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>>> Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> typed:
>>>
>>> Although there are perhaps irrelevent groups included in the crosspost,
>>> it doesn't exactly "waste anyone's time" to see something and not reply
>>> to it, now, does it?
>>> Crossposting is better than multiposting. Although, yes, it should be to
>>> a small handful of relevant groups.

0
bogus9187 (191)
9/23/2005 7:09:42 AM
> OK, using your "logic", you should post your messages in thousands of
> newsgroup, thereby guaranteeing that you get a rapid response that
> will be viewable later by the maximum number of people.

The Op wasn't far off - he posted the same message to windowsxp.basic plus
another 5 groups different from the ones he posted this one to - and at
least three of those were completely irrelevant!

0
gordon7598 (483)
9/23/2005 7:59:44 AM
Joe, you're an idiot. Cross posting allows for different people to see
the same version of the messages. How is different individuals reading
different newsgroups researching and responding any more of a 'waste of
time' than many people reading 1 newgroup doing the same?

"Uncle Joe" <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> wrote in news:eCcdJfrvFHA.2076
@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> I respectfully disagree with your assertion that it wastes nobody's
> time to
> cross-post a message requesting aid. There are many good, caring
> people
> who populate forums such as microsoft.public.outlook,
> microsoft.public.word,
> and microsoft.public.public.frontpage.client who do pause, research
> your
> problem, and respond to you from within in their favorite forums...not
> realizing
> someone else was doing the same research and writing similar advice
> from
> within another forum.
>
> Cross-posting is nasty and selfish. It reveals a cross-poster as not
> caring
> about the burdens he/she places on others.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:ODqnDRrvFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>

>> In news:e5%23vqYqvFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Uncle Joe <Uncle Jose@anonymous.net> typed:
>>> By cross-posting, you waste the time of many good people who read,
>>> research, and try to answer your question(s). You cross-posted this
>>> message on approximately eight newsgroups. That's ridiculous.
>>
>> Although there are perhaps irrelevent groups included in the
>> crosspost, it doesn't exactly "waste anyone's time" to see something
>> and not reply to it, now, does it?
>> Crossposting is better than multiposting. Although, yes, it should
>> be to a small handful of relevant groups.
>>

>>> "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
compguy666 (112)

Repair software recommendations
An outlook 2007 pst file is corrupt, and we have to retrieve as muc info as possible from it. scanpst.exe doesn't fix it. It is 1.2 Gb i size. Our focus is primarily the contacts and calendar, but any/al information recovered has value. There are a lot of different software repair tools (shareware an commercial) out there, but no one seems to rate them. If you have first-hand experience using these tools good or bad, pleas tell me what you used and how well it worked with your 2007 pst recover efforts. I'm not looking for shills for products -- just real worl experiences so we c...

Good MFC Book
I have taken a few courses on C/C++ but they never taught me how to make programs with real GUI. We always used the command prompt. So I've decided that I'd like to learn to use MFC. I have noticed that there are several MFC tutorials and articles online, but I'm really looking for some suggestions on a good book. Nothing aginst the online versions, but they can be rough on they eyes after a while. Can anyone give me a few good book suggesions? I have an excellent understanding of C/C++ control structures, classes, etc. so I am looking for a book that goes right into the g...

How to programmatically determine Good Friday
Hi all, I understand that Good Friday is different every year based on Full Moon. Given, that, if I know the Good Friday date falls on one year, is there a way I can use it as a "seed" and use it to compute all future years of the date of Good Friday? Is there an algorithm for that? Thanks, Ben On 17 feb, 22:06, Ben <B...@NoSpam.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I understand that Good Friday is different every year based on Full > Moon. =A0Given, that, if I know the Good Friday date falls on one year, i= s > there a way I can use it as a "...

Average & eliminating zero value Need HELP !! PLEASE
In cell C4 im calculating average hours for D5:D65 of all employees In cells Z5:Z65 If L is entered means laid off In cells AB5:AB65 IS AVERAGE OF ALL EMPOLYEES HOURS in cells D5:D65 if L is entered in Z Column In cells D5:D65 IS all employees hours FORMULA FOR C4 IS {=AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(D5:D65),IF(D5:D65>0,D5:D65,0)))} Formula for cells AB5:AB65 IS =IF(Z5="L",R4,"") Formula for D5:D65 IS =IF(Z5>0,0,IF(B5="","",AA5+SUM(E5:J5)*1.5+K5*2)) I want to average all employees hours except if L is entered in Z Column so say 65 empl...

Please help
Hi. 1.5*5.5 = 8.25 In Access forms and tables 1.5*5.5 = 8.20 (which is not correct) Detail--------------------------------------------------------------------------- It is a textbox. I get value from textbox1 and put the result into textbox2. I use below code for multiplying: textbox2.Value = Nz([textbox1]) * 1.5 If textbox1 has a value like 5.5 then I see 8.20 in textbox2 instead of 8.25 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- How can I fix it? Many thanks for any help... ...

File Open: No Preview Available...why please?
When selecting File Open, and the property choices are [Thumbnails, Icons, List, Preview, etc.], why does the Preview option state 'No Preview Available'? Even if the Spreadsheet has been created, named, and saved already (and is being retrieved) there is no preview available? By default images are displayed in the preview. If you want to view the preview for XL files then the files should be saved with the 'Save preview picture' option turned on? Try with an existing file. (File>Properties>Summary tab) -- Jacob "CathyD" wrote: > ...

Some help, please with code
Would someone please help me turn the following psuedo code into visual basic? It involves two tables. One table will be imported and named by the person using the form. The other table is named Tableappend and it has a query attached to it to do its thing. The involved fields on the table, that will be used during this code's runtime are: Random.postedamount Random.reportname Random.sapcompanycode The code shoudl do two passes, each loop looking for a specific set of information. in order to build tableappend with the proper records. The user imports a spreadsheet from excel, and...

Font Color Help Please
Hi Everyone I have a problem when I receive emails the signature portion of the email is all in yellow except for the email address. See Example... It happens to all of my emails. Help? Body- is Blue *Signature* Joe doe- Yellow Address- Yellow Email-Blue Phone # - Yellow Fax # - Yellow Marco www.classactinsurance.com My first guess is... the email that you are being sent is being sent using HTML and you are not seeing the "dark" background to make the yellow font stand out. However, you say ALL email comes into you this way. Is all your email from the same place? I ask becau...

*Please Help -- regarding attachments*
When I am using CRM 1.2 through the web application I have the ability to attach file to notes and emails. When I am using the SFO client I am asked to login. When I do, it does not work. Access denied. How do I fix this? Please help ...

Exporting to Outlook
I have a database I have created in Access 2002 which has the regular fields like name address telephone number etc. However, I also have fields for email address, website, partners name, children's name, birthday and many others. What I want to know is whether it is possible to import all fields from my Access database into Microsoft Outlook? If so, how do I do it? Thanks!! Try this. Populate a Contact record in Outlook - try using a few. Then export it to an Access Database. Compare the one you just created with the one that you already have. Massage yours to match the one you c...

PLEASE HELP: Enable Automatic Refresh
Is there anyway that I can force Enable Automatic Refresh to not display? It is such a pain in the A$$ of have to press Enable Automatic Refresh eveytime I need to open my XLS sheets. How can I set a XLS sheet to always be trusted? Thank you in advance, Mike http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248204 Does this help? --JP On Mar 4, 12:52=A0pm, "Michael Kintner" <michaelkint...@nospam.com> wrote: > Is there anyway that I can force Enable Automatic Refresh to not display? > > It is such a pain in the A$$ of have to press Enable Automatic Refresh > eveytime I ne...

*CANT log into Windows -please help
Hi, I need step by step instructions on how to use my recovery console CD in order to fix a problem. Here is my prob: A virus/malware scan I did probably messed up my logon file. The antivrus program either removed or quaranteined the virus/trojan that was attached to my logon file. Because when AVG prompted me to reboot after this scan, It stopped at the welcome screen logon part. I click on my user name (only one there) and it says its logging on...But then it says saving settings and nothing else happens. My machine does not reboot or anything. It just stays at this logon sc...

Restoring Exchange Data
HI. I experienced a crash with my Windows 2000 server which is the Global Catalog and dns server. Anyhow in my infinite wisdom I decided to do soemthing with the exchange server and in the meantime - it blew any active directory info which had replicated to the exchange server. The Exchange server was a part of the domain with AD installed, etc. The exch. server is a running windows 2003 server w/ exch. server 2003. Fast forward...I rebuilt the Windows 2000 server and its backup. I also rebuilt the Exchange Server...not completely knowing how to proceed....I installed w2k3 with all ...

I'm stumped, Please Help!
Setup: FES: Windows 2003 SP1 Exchange 2003 Standard SP2 BES: 2 Node A/P Cluster Windows 2003 SP1 Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP2 Problem: Outgoing mail is successfully sent from the BES to the FES and out to the internet. But incoming mail gets to the FES and gets stuck there in the BES SMTP queue. The FES knows the mail should be routed to the BES but it looks like it can't send it. ESM on the FES: The Queue information for the BES SMTP virtual server says "Destination server does not exist". ESM on the BES can't retrieve queue information on the FES SMTP virtual s...

Help on Code.PLEASE!
Trying to get a Form2 to open on a click event (of Form1) with a company name that has apostrophe (e.g. Sally's) Here is my code on the click event of Form1: Private Sub cmdAddOldCompany_Click() Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "Form1" stLinkCriteria = "[CompanyName]=" & "" & Me.CompanyName.Value & "" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria, acFormEdit End Sub I keep getting runtime error 3075 only when I try to open this particular company, all others open fine if no apo...

Please Help: Toolbars in DLL Dialog
Hello, Creating toolbars in an EXE app is a relative piece of cake. However, I am trying to insert a toolbar into a DLL dialog. This is how my DLL dialog works: 1) Contents of a function exporting a dialog AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState()); CSvg* dlg; try { dlg = new CSvg(); dlg->Create(IDD_MAIN_FRAME); dlg->ShowWindow(SW_SHOW); } catch (CSvg *dlg) { dlg->PostNcDestroy(); delete dlg; } 2) Use a function in my Dialog class to insert a toolbar: int CSvg::OnCreate(LPCREATESTRUCT lpCreateStruct) { if (CDialog::OnCreate(lpCreateStruct) == -1) return -...

Touch Screen Recommendations
Does anyone have any touch screen recommendations? This includes hardware and anything that would be important to know in setting them up. Thanks. The ELO's are VERY nice worked great so far J "Doug W" <doug.wiesner@PTDTechnology.com> wrote in message news:29ceb7c9.0408310719.2f13a31c@posting.google.com... > Does anyone have any touch screen recommendations? This includes > hardware and anything that would be important to know in setting them > up. > > Thanks. Try CRS IT 2000 15" Touch and computer all in one. "ParkRanger" <bfgpaint...

Trying to get CDO to Work
Trying to use CDO to send mail from a classic ASP page running on Win Small Business Server 2008 (with IIS 7.0 and Exchange 2007 on the same box). I get the following error 006~ASP 0177~Server.CreateObject Failed~8002801d from the following code set oMail = server.createobject("CDO.Message") if err <> 0 then response.write err.number & " - " & err.description response.end end if The script is running under the IUSR_Machine account (determined by printing request.servervariables("LOGON_USER") and gtting back a blank). I ca...

Help please
I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop it comes with media player 11. I was trying to download movies and i could not view them I can hear them but not view them, I dont understand. It says I can download and burn but they are not working. It says something about codes I just dont understand??? Help me I am so confused... -- Thank you Lori :) "Lori" <army_sis02@yahoo.com(dontspam)> wrote in message news:6E3AE2C7-14DF-4508-B6EE-C86B560A86BB@microsoft.com... > I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop it comes with media player 11. I was trying > to > download movies and i...

PLEASE HELP #2
Can someone please tell me why my images in my publishers files are not showing? It is showing a X in the image box instead of the image. Please help. Please reply to my email address zidnasz@adelphia.net Thank You On the toolbar, view, pictures, tick detailed display -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com "Sandi" <zidnasz@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:022701c3d17b$7cb9f490$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can someone please tell me why my images in my publishers > files are n...

Please keep me from getting fired! file locked
HELP!!! I was in a file that's read only. My network connection crashed and now nobody can get into my excel file because it says I have it locked. I see no temp file in the network folder that contains the file. People are ready to kill me. What can I try? If it's a network file, MIS should be able to come up with a backup........... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Sandra" <ab@mdahospital.com> wrote in message news:#X98ovTQFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > HELP!!! > > I was in a file that's read only. My network connection crashed and now > nobod...

HELP
Previously using outlook with network as workgroup. Went to main office and joined domain.. got new persona. How do I import my mail from the other persona? I exported to a .pst and logged into the domain, I tried to import but it says I do not have permission to import. Any ideas? Make sure the PST file is located on a drive where you have read/write/modify/exclusive access rights. "Mike Gregg" <mgregg@emamarketing.com> wrote in message news:efmVNaWGHHA.4652@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Previously using outlook with network as workgroup. > > Went to main off...

I would like help on a formular-please
My formular is =sum(a+B+c)/2080*48, I want to have the formular stop calculate at 48. How do I do that!!!! Thank you so much, bee -- Veeraseati ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Veeraseati's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31593 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=512859 =MIN(1, (a+b+c)/2080)*48 best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Veeraseati" <Veeraseati.23acjy_1140031801.5589@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in...

SQL Help Please!! :)
select item.itemlookupcode, item.description, quantitydiscount.description AS Discount_Description from item, quantitydiscount where item.quantitydiscountid = quantitydiscount.id and item.quantitydiscountid <> 0 The select query above returns item lookup code, description, and the quantity discount descritiption and lets me see every item in my DB which is assigned to a promotion. Can anyone help me by adding the item price, department and supplier name to the query so i can see those details? Thanks very much! Hi Philip...extend the select query the following way select item....

VB code help please
I am trying to write a VB code for running a appending query then a deleting query after they are run to close the form I am on. That would be a submit button on this form. Then I need one that would just run the deleting query and the close the form. If there is anyone out there that knows the code for this that would be so much help thank you. I would also though when I do run the appending query and deleting query it not to ask me if I am sure that I want to run the appending or deleting message but are u sure you want to submit these parts. guitarfunk24@yahoo.com wrote: > I am try...