Perhaps not an outlook problem, but maybe a setting change will help.

Hello,
 I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Vista Business system.    I use it to monitor
four email accounts, one POP mail from my work, a gmail account, and two POP
accounts from my ISP (Bell), who contracted their mail service to Microsoft
some years ago.

The two non-ISP accounts work perfectly and are very reliable, but
intermittently, one or the other of the ISP accounts start rejecting the
username and password, which I know is correct.    If I go to the web mail
interface and test the username and password - there's no problem, unless
the login server really, really is broken, which seems to happen more than
occasionally.

The practical problem is that I will be working away, with mail running in
the background, but suddenly "enter your password" dialog appears,
disrupting what I'm doing.

I'll enter the password or click OK, since I know it's correct, it will be
rejected,  I will then click send/receive, and the server will be polled
with no problem.   It may even pick up a piece of mail, though I have been
migrating away from those accounts due to service unreliability.

Eventually, the problem will just go away for a couple of days, maybe more,
maybe less, with no change of settings on my systems.

The same problem happened on my previous XP system.

This is happening more and more often, and I'm wondering, before I waste
more time with the ISP's support staff, if there are any suggested settings
that might help with this kind of problem.   I've tried changing the server
timeouts, but that seems to have no effect.

I also wonder if there is a way, as there is in Outlook Express and Windows
mail, to tell Outlook to just not include these account when
sending/receiving mail.   If I could exclude those two accounts from the
regular mail check, that would be a reasonable workaround.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Patrick Keenan

0
test8596 (33)

Patrick Keenan wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Vista Business system.    I use it to
> monitor four email accounts, one POP mail from my work, a gmail
> account, and two POP accounts from my ISP (Bell), who contracted
> their mail service to Microsoft some years ago.
>
> The two non-ISP accounts work perfectly and are very reliable, but
> intermittently, one or the other of the ISP accounts start rejecting
> the username and password, which I know is correct.    If I go to the
> web mail interface and test the username and password - there's no
> problem, unless the login server really, really is broken, which
> seems to happen more than occasionally.
>
> The practical problem is that I will be working away, with mail
> running in the background, but suddenly "enter your password" dialog
> appears, disrupting what I'm doing.
>
> I'll enter the password or click OK, since I know it's correct, it
> will be rejected,  I will then click send/receive, and the server
> will be polled with no problem.   It may even pick up a piece of
> mail, though I have been migrating away from those accounts due to
> service unreliability.
> Eventually, the problem will just go away for a couple of days, maybe
> more, maybe less, with no change of settings on my systems.
>
> The same problem happened on my previous XP system.
>
> This is happening more and more often, and I'm wondering, before I
> waste more time with the ISP's support staff, if there are any
> suggested settings that might help with this kind of problem.   I've
> tried changing the server timeouts, but that seems to have no effect.
>
> I also wonder if there is a way, as there is in Outlook Express and
> Windows mail, to tell Outlook to just not include these account when
> sending/receiving mail.   If I could exclude those two accounts from
> the regular mail check, that would be a reasonable workaround.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Patrick Keenan

I see the same behaviour intermittently. I have always assumed it is a ISP
server issue.

To exclude an account in the scheduled send/receive. Tools , Send/Receive,
Send/Receive settings, define Send/Receive groups, then select the group
that has  a tick in the "Schedule a send/receive every x minutes" box, and
click the Edit button, select the unwanted accounts and tick the
include/send/receive boxes as required.

--
John Blessing

http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

0
nospam.lbe (55)
3/17/2008 11:39:30 PM
There is an option within OL to include, or otherwise, a particular account
in the default send/receive group

"Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Vista Business system.    I use it to monitor
> four email accounts, one POP mail from my work, a gmail account, and two
> POP accounts from my ISP (Bell), who contracted their mail service to
> Microsoft some years ago.
>
> The two non-ISP accounts work perfectly and are very reliable, but
> intermittently, one or the other of the ISP accounts start rejecting the
> username and password, which I know is correct.    If I go to the web mail
> interface and test the username and password - there's no problem, unless
> the login server really, really is broken, which seems to happen more than
> occasionally.
>
> The practical problem is that I will be working away, with mail running in
> the background, but suddenly "enter your password" dialog appears,
> disrupting what I'm doing.
>
> I'll enter the password or click OK, since I know it's correct, it will be
> rejected,  I will then click send/receive, and the server will be polled
> with no problem.   It may even pick up a piece of mail, though I have been
> migrating away from those accounts due to service unreliability.
>
> Eventually, the problem will just go away for a couple of days, maybe
> more, maybe less, with no change of settings on my systems.
>
> The same problem happened on my previous XP system.
>
> This is happening more and more often, and I'm wondering, before I waste
> more time with the ISP's support staff, if there are any suggested
> settings that might help with this kind of problem.   I've tried changing
> the server timeouts, but that seems to have no effect.
>
> I also wonder if there is a way, as there is in Outlook Express and
> Windows mail, to tell Outlook to just not include these account when
> sending/receiving mail.   If I could exclude those two accounts from the
> regular mail check, that would be a reasonable workaround.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Patrick Keenan

0
DL
3/18/2008 12:01:16 AM
John Blessing wrote:
> Patrick Keenan wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Vista Business system.    I use it to
>> monitor four email accounts, one POP mail from my work, a gmail
>> account, and two POP accounts from my ISP (Bell), who contracted
>> their mail service to Microsoft some years ago.
>>
>> The two non-ISP accounts work perfectly and are very reliable, but
>> intermittently, one or the other of the ISP accounts start rejecting
>> the username and password, which I know is correct.    If I go to the
>> web mail interface and test the username and password - there's no
>> problem, unless the login server really, really is broken, which
>> seems to happen more than occasionally.
>>
>> The practical problem is that I will be working away, with mail
>> running in the background, but suddenly "enter your password" dialog
>> appears, disrupting what I'm doing.
>>
>> I'll enter the password or click OK, since I know it's correct, it
>> will be rejected,  I will then click send/receive, and the server
>> will be polled with no problem.   It may even pick up a piece of
>> mail, though I have been migrating away from those accounts due to
>> service unreliability.
>> Eventually, the problem will just go away for a couple of days, maybe
>> more, maybe less, with no change of settings on my systems.
>>
>> The same problem happened on my previous XP system.
>>
>> This is happening more and more often, and I'm wondering, before I
>> waste more time with the ISP's support staff, if there are any
>> suggested settings that might help with this kind of problem.   I've
>> tried changing the server timeouts, but that seems to have no effect.
>>
>> I also wonder if there is a way, as there is in Outlook Express and
>> Windows mail, to tell Outlook to just not include these account when
>> sending/receiving mail.   If I could exclude those two accounts from
>> the regular mail check, that would be a reasonable workaround.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> Patrick Keenan
>
> I see the same behaviour intermittently. I have always assumed it is a ISP
> server issue.
>
> To exclude an account in the scheduled send/receive. Tools , Send/Receive,
> Send/Receive settings, define Send/Receive groups, then select the group
> that has  a tick in the "Schedule a send/receive every x minutes" box, and
> click the Edit button, select the unwanted accounts and tick the
> include/send/receive boxes as required.

Thanks very much to the two of you.   The groups change will provide the
workaround I need, until I can finally retire those accounts completely.

Thanks again.
Patrick Keenan
0
test8596 (33)