password no longer required for .pst file

 When the user opened Outlook 2002 it gave them the opportunity to select a
profile, then prompted for the .pst file password.

Recently it just started opening without prompting for the password. I went
to "change" the password and first left "old password" blank, thinking it no
longer had a password. It told me "bad password"

I tried changing it again, this time using the password that I know used to
be required, entered a new password twice, Closed Outlook, opened the
Outlook profile and it went straight in. No password required.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Bobby

BRW <beefjerky128@hotmail.com> wrote:

> When the user opened Outlook 2002 it gave them the opportunity to
> select a profile, then prompted for the .pst file password.
>
> Recently it just started opening without prompting for the password.
> I went to "change" the password and first left "old password" blank,
> thinking it no longer had a password. It told me "bad password"
>
> I tried changing it again, this time using the password that I know
> used to be required, entered a new password twice, Closed Outlook,
> opened the Outlook profile and it went straight in. No password
> required.

In the absence of any other data, I'd guess that Outlook is remaining open
even though it appears it has closed, thus obviating the need to reenter the
password.  Use Task Manager to see if a process OUTLOOK.EXE remains running.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Corupt excel file ???
I have a excel file that seems to want to open, but then when it is done opening, There is no data or blank sheet. It goes though the possess and say's at the bottom ready opening but then there is nothing and the screen look's like I just opened Excel but no spread sheet. I then can go to file open another sheet and it works. (Not the one I wont) any body help. of coarse we don�t have a backup??? Email: bhogan@emediaofli.com --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ First, check to see if the file is actually loaded. Click on Window and see if it appears at the bottom o...

Recover emails from a broken PST file.
Hi, I am putting this request in from a friend who has the following issue: I would like to know if anyone has access to the draft of the .pst specification/standard that Microsoft has promised to release early next year. I need this so that I can recover emails from a broken pst file. This file cannot be recovered with scanpst or linux tools such as those within the libpff library nor libpst. This file was carved out from a disk and perhaps not chained properly - i.e., may be not complete or contain improper clusters. I receive multiple errors in regards to wrong checksum as well...

I have an older version 98 file and would like to open with P-2000
I have a file that was sent to me that I think was saved with Publisher 98 and I am using Publisher 2000, how can I open this file to view it? Thank you for your help Publisher 2000 will open 98 Publisher files. Your sender probably has sent you a 2002 or 03 file. Have your sender save the file as 98 and re-send. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Sabrina" <Sabrina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F1D557A-0650-4F91-80C5-783F8853676F@microsoft.com... >I have a file that was sent to m...

How to generate XML file as follow, using XmlDocument
Hello, I have to generate XML file as follow, using XmlDocument. <Company> < Employee EID=3D=94111=94 Description=3D=94 xyz=94> <Dept DeptNo=3D=94D10=94> <FirstName> Abhijit </FirstName> <LastName> Babar </LastName> </Dept> <Dept DeptNo=3D=94D20=94> <FirstName> Sahine </FirstName> <LastName> Ghavane </LastName> </Dept> </Employee> < Employee EID=3D=94222=94 Description=3D=94 abc=94> <Dept DeptNo=3D=94D10=94> <FirstName> Swapnil </FirstName> ...

the password question
I have just had a new hard disk put onto my PC. I am running Win XP. I loaded up Money 2005 and it continually asks me for my password. Previously it populated it automatically. I always run Money offline. I have the back up discs with all the data. Obviously I cannot remember the password I used. I have tried everything I can think of !! Is there going to be anyway I can retrieve me files, or am I completely bu****ed ? first try opening the sample file and let all updates happen. then restart and open your money file. Please search the newsgroup about reinstallin...

Database Files Directory
Hello everyone, I have created a database and everything is working fine. I just would like to access directory contents and displayed then in a form. For example I have records that I have saved/scan to a particular directory now I would like to see then on the bottom of the form. Can someone help me with this. Thanks in advance, JM See: List files recursively - List files in a folder and subfolders at: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-59.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than...

Publisher installer runs when I try to open a pdf file
I have installed and are successfully running Publisher 2003. I also have Adobe Acrobat 6.0 installed. When I try to open a pdf file, the Publisher installer runs and is trying to reinstall publisher. Any ideas? Thanks -- LS Do you have all the updates for Publisher? Office has two service packs. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=4289AE77-4CBA-4A75-86F3-9FF96F68E491 Have you updated Acrobat to 6.0.4? http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows Have you tried a detect and repair on both these products? --...

maintenance plan log files
hi, After I moved sqlagent logs to another drive (Right click Error Logs - > Configure -> change path), I found the Maintenance plans logs can't be generated any more. The job itseld on the job history runs successfully but if I right click maintenance plan-> view history-> show steps and I will see the red error: "Access to the path 'C:\ \Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\MSSQL.1\\MSSQL\\LOG\ \Log_Backup_Subplan_1_20100301134505.txt' is denied." The path shows the old one. So it seems that I need to change the Maintenance plan log file location ...

How do you convert or copy your dbx files to pst files

File SaveAs
I perform a file save as in the workbook but when I do this I the original file is no longer open. This causes me to manully reopen the original file. I would like the original file to remain open even during or after the new workbook is created. Any ideas....thank you. My current code is below: ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="WHLS Oversight Rpt " & Format(Date, "mmddyy") & ".xls", FileFormat:=xlExcel8, _ Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, _ CreateBackup:=False Ap...

Movie Maker file with Nero
can I use a movie make filer to burn a dvd using Nero. If so, how? -- Charlie Charlie wrote: > can I use a movie make filer to burn a dvd using Nero. If > so, how? ========================================= I guess you know this is off topic for this newsgroup? Anyway...I saved the following info from a previous message..it might be worth a try. ===== Save your slideshow in WMM as DV-AVI file. How do I save my movie as a DV-AVI file in Movie Maker? http://tinyurl.com/8ktlw Then open Nero, click on make DVD Video, click on add file, call up your DV-AVI file, make your opening ...

how to enable sending of .exe file
By default for Exchange 2003 blocked users from sending those .exe file, how to disable it? On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 02:26:03 -0800, jenson <jenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >By default for Exchange 2003 blocked users from sending those .exe file, how >to disable it? Its an Outlook issue, not an exchange one. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm#ol2002 On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 02:26:03 -0800, jenson <jenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >By default for Exchange 2003 blocked users from sending those .exe file, how >to disable it? Exchange...

Accessing a linked file in a Word document using VBA
Hi - Basic question, in my Word template I have some linked images. I want to use VBA to change the path and filename of some of these links ... can anyone give me a clue as to how I should best do this? Thanks Robin Hi Robin, To see how to paths in Word using vba, check out the macro solution I've posted for implement relative paths at: http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=670027 -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EA2C548-7D01-4515-BCC8-2EF3210439C9@microsof...

finding where a file is stored
2003 Excel used to tell you where the file was if you did a Save-As. Now it doesn't. How do I find where a file is currently stored? What do mean by 'now it doesn't...' Nothing has changed... Anyway use this in any cell =CELL("filename",A1) to see the complet path and file name "Catherine" wrote: > 2003 Excel used to tell you where the file was if you did a Save-As. Now it > doesn't. How do I find where a file is currently stored? Thank you for your time. Perhaps I was mistaken about the version. I used to be able to go to Save-As, an...

Opening Pub 2003 Files in Pub 2000
I created a booklet in Publisher 2003 for my sons school. Put the file on disk for them and they can not open the file. They have Publisher 2000. The school will need to edit the file. What can we do so they will be able to open and edit the file? Not a good idea but... File Save As and change the file type. Your file size will grow and may not be the same as what you've created. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "tntsmith4322" <tntsmith4322@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3FACCB1E-D42D-43F7-99C8-452AECA6D992@microsoft.com... >...

URGENT : Bug in XLS budget file
I have a multi-tab budget worksheet. I run XLS03, no macro. Now, after opening the file, when I enter a number in a cell in one of the tab, the number appears on the other tabs at exactely the same cell location. It happens on 4 tabs out of 8 in total. It's like all 4 tabs are the same sheet but no links exist between them, at least not where I enter the numbers. (links exists in other cells). It simply overwrite the other cells. But all 4 tabs have initially the right numbers and formula in them. I've tried to save the file under another name, open the file on a colleague PC r...

Merging html files
Hi I need to merge outlook signature and stationery files to create one html file for mail shot from within Access via outlook. Is there code sample somewhere that demonstrates how to merge the two signature and stationery html files into one? Many Thanks Regards ...

Same .pst Files Looks Different on other PC
Hello, I have a weird problem. I have a small network at home with 1 desktop and 1 (wireless) laptop. I have installed MS Office XP on both computer including all the servicepacks and updates (both Outlook version numbers 10.4712.4219 SP-2). I share my document folder which is on the desktop, so I can access it through the laptop. When I open the .pst file on my laptop, Outlook handles the full-day appointments differently. It moves them up one hour, i.e. makes the appointments start at 23.00 hours the night before (and then they last till 23.00 hours on the right day). When I double-click th...

How can I print the properties for PowerPoint files?
-- Sue If you posted this in the PowerPoint newsgroup, someone may be able to help you. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B50A8B7F-C8EC-4095-96B6-9147817D9907@microsoft.com... > > -- > Sue ...

MC FILES
Hi, i have an mc file containing text in english and korean languages.I have changed my System Locale to Korean and my OS is Windows 2000(English).When i compiled this mc file i am getting all the string ids in .h file.So i was not able to access these ids using FindResourceEx() as it is searching the string table for the ids and my other language id is in .h file.How can i make this fucntion to search in .h file also?Or Is there any other way where i can copy the string ids to string table -- For all problems in ur life u r the only solution. You are confused. There is not a single .h file...

Help with transforming file

Service requirement
With a service contract only certain contacts from the company are authorized to make service calls. Has anyone created a solution for flagging certain contacts? Thanks, Laura In addition, we have not been able to find a way to associate contracts with specific contacts. Any ideas? >-----Original Message----- >With a service contract only certain contacts from the >company are authorized to make service calls. Has anyone >created a solution for flagging certain contacts? > >Thanks, >Laura >. > ...

outlook 2003 pst corruption
I have had several users complain about the pst files not working. I have been running scanpst.exe on a regular basis to repair errors. Some of the data files are relatively large 500-2000 mbs. Any help would be appreciated. steve <sjnystro@iastate.edu> wrote: > I have had several users complain about the pst files not > working. I have been running scanpst.exe on a regular > basis to repair errors. Some of the data files are > relatively large 500-2000 mbs. 500-2000 Mb is not large for a Unicode (OL 2003) PST. Unicode PSTs can be 20 Gb are more. Make sure that ...

sending attachment .mdb files by Access
Error message: Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachment: *.mdb where * is the name of file. I get this message when I try to send a db I am working on to a colleague. The email shows the paperclip icon in my sent box but no attachment is there. I note that Outlook help says that .mdb are level 1 security items and cannot be opened. Is there a work around for this? Jack Hume http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Jack Hume&qu...

Personal .pst backup location won't change
Hi, all. I use Outlook2007 on Vista 32 Pro. I added in the routine for regular saving of the .pst file, and I am offered the chance to save it every time I quit Outlook. At some time in the past I had an external drive on the system (USB) and changed the destination of the save operation to a folder this target for further safety. Now that I use that external drive with another CPU I want to be able to change the save destination to the local drive - and perhaps another external - but even though the "Change" button offers a browsing interface and file destinatio...