Outlook2003 will not connect.

This problem appears to be limited to Outlook2003 on my machine.

When I test the email account settings from control panel everything works
as expected.
When I test the email account settings from within Outlook I get this error
message:

Task 'shawmail - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable
to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive
this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider
(ISP).'
Task 'shawmail - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable
to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive
this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider
(ISP).'

I have used the webmail interface and can connect and read my mail.
I can also use OutrlookExpress 6.0 to read and send mail.
I have deleted and re-added my email account and there has been no change.
I tried to add the shaw webmail as http but that did not work.

I have a single firewall running and Outlook is allowed.
I am using Norton Anti-Virus and it is up to date.

Can anybody help or should I just switch to Eudora?

Prometheus <thisguysthelimit@hotmail.com> wrote:

> When I test the email account settings from within Outlook I get this
> error message:
>
> Task 'shawmail - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is
> unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you
> continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator
> or Internet service provider (ISP).'
> Task 'shawmail - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is
> unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you
> continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator
> or Internet service provider (ISP).'
>
> I have used the webmail interface and can connect

This, of course, is unrelated and does not necessarily indicate there's
nothing wrong on Shaw's end.

> I can also use OutrlookExpress 6.0 to read and send mail.

This is a far better test.

> I have deleted and re-added my email account and there has been no
> change.

Did you attempt to import the account from Outlook Express?

> I tried to add the shaw webmail as http but that did not work.

Of course not.  Only MSN (Hotmail) supports HTTP accounts.

> I have a single firewall running and Outlook is allowed.
> I am using Norton Anti-Virus and it is up to date.

The first thing to do is disable the firewall and NAV while you are testing.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/7/2006 1:17:37 AM
This problem appears to be limited to Outlook2003.
When I test the email account settings from control panel everything
works as expected.
When I test the email account settings from within Outlook I get the
error.

Exactly the same settings are being tested firsat via Control Panel -
No Problem
then via Oultlook - Problems.

I have tested with & without firewall - same results. Problems are
encountered only in Outlook.

El Tea <lawrence.tracey@shaw.ca> wrote:

> This problem appears to be limited to Outlook2003.
> When I test the email account settings from control panel everything
> works as expected.
> When I test the email account settings from within Outlook I get the
> error.

Enable diagnostic logging and see what's going on.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300479/en-us

> Exactly the same settings are being tested firsat via Control Panel -
> No Problem
> then via Oultlook - Problems.

The test doesn't exercise the entire path reliably.

> I have tested with & without firewall - same results. Problems are
> encountered only in Outlook.

But you didn't state whether you tried importing the account from Outlook
Express or whether you tried disabling your antivirus program as well.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/7/2006 3:04:20 PM
I have now enabled diagnostic logging.
I imported the account from Outlook into Outlook Express. It asked for
a password and appears to have worked correctly in OE6.

I have disabled both anti-virus and internet security and have seen no
change.

El Tea <lawrence.tracey@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I have now enabled diagnostic logging.

So, what does the log contain?

> I imported the account from Outlook into Outlook Express. It asked for
> a password and appears to have worked correctly in OE6.

You've got it backward.  I said to import the Outlook Express account that
works into Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/8/2006 3:11:19 AM
I tried the import from OE6 into Outlook2003 and it does not work. The
import workefd but the settings do not. They work in OE6.

The log contains:

2006.02.07 09:45:27 <<<< Logging Started (level is LTF_TRACE) >>>>
2006.02.07 09:45:27 shawmail: Synch operation started (flags =
00000001)
2006.02.07 09:45:27 shawmail: UploadItems: 2 messages to send
2006.02.07 09:45:27 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Begin execution
2006.02.07 09:45:27 shawmail: Synch operation started (flags =
00000030)
2006.02.07 09:45:27 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Port: 25, Secure:
no, SPA: no
2006.02.07 09:45:27 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Finding host
2006.02.07 09:45:28 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Connecting to
host
2006.02.07 09:45:28 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Disconnected from
host
2006.02.07 09:45:28 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): End execution
2006.02.07 09:45:28 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Begin execution
2006.02.07 09:45:28 shawmail: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg =
ffffffff): full items
2006.02.07 09:45:28 shawmail: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr =
0x80042109
2006.02.07 09:45:28 POP3 (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Begin execution
2006.02.07 09:45:28 POP3 (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): =========
Initial blob   =========
2006.02.07 09:45:28 POP3 (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net):
===================================
2006.02.07 09:45:28 POP3 (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Port: 110,
Secure: no, SPA: no
2006.02.07 09:45:28 POP3 (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Finding host
2006.02.07 09:45:28 POP3 (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Disconnected from
host
2006.02.07 09:45:28 POP3 (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): End execution
2006.02.07 09:45:28 shawmail: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr =
0x80042108
2006.02.07 09:45:28 shawmail: Synch operation completed
2006.02.07 09:45:28 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Port: 25, Secure:
no, SPA: no
2006.02.07 09:45:28 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Finding host
2006.02.07 09:45:28 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Disconnected from
host
2006.02.07 09:45:28 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): End execution
2006.02.07 09:45:28 shawmail: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr =
0x80042109
2006.02.07 09:45:28 shawmail: Synch operation completed
2006.02.07 09:46:34 shawmail: Synch operation started (flags =
00000001)
2006.02.07 09:46:34 shawmail: UploadItems: 2 messages to send
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Begin execution
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Port: 25, Secure:
no, SPA: no
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Finding host
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Disconnected from
host
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): End execution
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Begin execution
2006.02.07 09:46:34 shawmail: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr =
0x80042109
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Connecting to
host
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Disconnected from
host
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Port: 25, Secure:
no, SPA: no
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Finding host
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Connecting to
host
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Connecting to
host
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Disconnected from
host
2006.02.07 09:46:34 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): End execution
2006.02.07 09:46:34 shawmail: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr =
0x80042109

El Tea <lawrence.tracey@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I tried the import from OE6 into Outlook2003 and it does not work. The
> import workefd but the settings do not. They work in OE6.

Your log does show a problem with connecting to the server.  The connection
is made but drops immediately before anything can happen:

2006.02.07 09:45:27 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Finding host
2006.02.07 09:45:28 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Connecting to host
2006.02.07 09:45:28 SMTP (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net): Disconnected from host

If this were happening to me, I'd try making an SMTP connection by hand from
a command line prompt and seeing what happens in the handshaking.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/8/2006 4:11:41 PM
OK. How do I do that?

El Tea <lawrence.tracey@shaw.ca> wrote:

> OK. How do I do that?

Here's an example:

C:\ telnet yourservername 25    <- you type
Trying... Connected to yourservername.    <- server responds
220 yourserver (MX V5.4 VnHt) ESMTP server ready at Thu, 9 Feb 2006
10:23:38 -0500    <- server responds
helo yourmachine.yourdomain    <-you type
250 yourmachine.yourdomain    <- server responds
mail from:<yourname@yourmachine.yourdomain>    <- you type, using your real
address
250 2.1.0 MAIL command accepted.    <- server responds
rcpt to:<yourname@yourdomain>    <- you type, using your real address
250 2.1.5 OK <yourname@yourdomain>    <- server responds
data    <- you type
354 Start mail input; end with <crlf>.<crlf>    <- server responds
Subject: this is a test    <- you type everything through "." below

Hi, there.
..
250 2.5.0 Message received and queued.    <- server responds
quit    <- you type
221 2.3.0 yourserver.yourdomain Service closing transmission channel    <-
server responds
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/9/2006 3:33:27 PM
C:\telnet shawmail 25
Connecting to shawmail...Could not open connection to the host, on port
25: Connect failed

C:\tenet shawmail.vc.shawcable.net 25
Connecting to shawmail.vc.shawcable.net...Could not open connection to
the host on port 25: Connect failed

Turned off Norton Internet Security and Anti-Virus. Stopped all Norton
services

C:\telnet shawmail 25
Connecting to shawmail...Could not open connection to the host, on port
25: Connect failed

C:\tenet shawmail.vc.shawcable.net 25
Connecting to shawmail.vc.shawcable.net...Could not open connection to
the host on port 25: Connect failed

So now I have an Outlook that cannot connect and a Telnet that cannot
connect yet OE6 connects happily using the same settings and a control
panel that also connects using the same settings.

Any suggestions as to what could possibly be wrong? Or how to fix it?

El Tea <lawrence.tracey@shaw.ca> wrote:

> C:\telnet shawmail.vc.shawcable.net 25
> Connecting to shawmail...Could not open connection to the host, on
> port 25: Connect failed

> So now I have an Outlook that cannot connect and a Telnet that cannot
> connect yet OE6 connects happily using the same settings and a control
> panel that also connects using the same settings.

Sounds to me like there must be something different in your settings between
Outlook and Outlook Express that you're just not noticing.  Try using
another Shaw mail server, like
mail.shawcable.net or mail.vc.shawcable.net.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Connection problem with 60 day trial #2
I'm sorry to keep posting "new" questions, but on top of having problems with Outlook, i'm having problems with figuring out how this "Discussion Group" process works. Every time i open the Discussion Group page, I get a message that there is no profile for me and so I have to re-create my profile each time. I see that Peter Foldes has posted as response to my question. Thank you Peter! However, I cannot get the response to display. When I click on it, I get the message, "No posts available for this thread. Any suggestions on what I can do differen...

Connecting to Webservices using Visual studio
Hello, I am trying to connect to the webservices of our CRM server though Visual Studio.NET. This does not seem to be working very well as I keep getting errors stating that my active x settings are not properly set " Unsupported Security Settings Microsoft CRM requires that ActiveX controls be enabled. Your current security settings prevent this. You need to enable ActiveX controls and try again. To enable ActiveX Controls, in Internet Explorer, select Internet Options from the Tools menu, select the Security tab and click Custom Level. Enable the Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins ...

How do I create a button on the toolbar that will start my form?
I want to add a buttton to the toolbar that starts my calculation program ...

cannot connect to GC
I cannot load the Exchange Mgmt Tools on a local box, evidently because the Exchange Server (Enterprise 2003) cannot connect to the GC. It finds the GC in the properties of the server (in the ESM/server under Global Catalog servers list), but running a ldp.exe on port 3289 on either GC, i get a cannot connect error. Any ideas on the troubleshooting steps for this will be appreciated. j -- JJ Runnion jjrNOSPAM@sinte.edu Can you connect to port 389? Nue "JJ Runnion" <JJRunnion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3CA659C8-22C9-4553-8BA9-CF5E348D1F26@microso...

Money will not open even after reinstalling
I tried using Money this weekend and it would not open. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, and that worked for 1 day. Now it is doing it again. What now? I'm so sick of MS and all it's damn problems! God if there were only another superpower! I have been awaiting a response all night. I can't open Money either! HOW BOUT A PATCH MS??? >-----Original Message----- >I tried using Money this weekend and it would not open. I >tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, and that worked >for 1 day. Now it is doing it again. >What now? >. > I'm...

Issues Connecting to SQLServer
I=92m trying to use a DSN-less connection to a SQLSERVER DB and am experiencing problems. I can connect to all the tables I need and most of the views. However, one view is giving me problems. The view in question is a summary for use on a report =96 basically totaling up hours and dollars from a bunch of detail records =96 in an attempt to reduce the amount of data sent over the network. For some unknown reason, I can=92t set an index on the view, so whenever I try to link to it programmatically I get the =93Select Unique Record Identifier=94 dialog box. I don=92t want the end u...

signture will not appear on emails
I set up two email address and for each a signture. But when I go to type a email the signture does not appear. Any suggestions ? Janice wrote: > I set up two email address and for each a signture. But when I go to type > a email the signture does not appear. Any suggestions ? Hi Janice Have you actually set the signatures to be added to your messages in the Outlook | Options | Mail Format | Signatures page, where you identify which signature to use, and when to use it? This might seem a silly question, but just creating a signature doesn't ensure it is added. Can you see th...

Connecting Documents
I have a newsletter on Publisher, and I want to insert an ad that is also on Publisher. How do I insert one Publisher document into another? You wouldn't. You'd save the ad as an image and then place it into your Publlisher newsletter. Which version of Publisher are you using? -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "Samantha Jayne" <Samantha Jayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C6ABC0A-9031-421F-976F-525D1D92A776@microsoft.com... > I have a newsletter on Publisher, and I want to insert an ad that is also > ...

Services will not start after reboot
I have an exchange server 5.5 SP3 and we just rebooted the server and none of the exchange services will start. The Information store give me an error 1068, the dependency service or group failed to start. This is a similiar message that I get for all the other Exchange services. Please HELP!!!! That means the service before it failed. Check the System Attendant. Then Directory Service. Then Information Store. If one fails examine the application log for events relating to that service. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranti...

E-mail will not leave computor
I switched ISPs and started having a problem sending e- mails. I can write an e-mail, put it in the outbox, and when I get online it will transfer to the sent box, show to be sent, but never leave my PC. It never goes out. If I am online and try to send an e-mail it goes straight to the sent box, but never goes out. Any ideas where the problem may be, or how to fix, would be apprecieated. The ISP guys say the connection parameters are correct. I have no problem recieving mail. ...

persistent smtp connections
My ISP has all of our mail hitting his mail servers first, then connects to my excange server to deliver the mail. The problem is the connections are staying persistent for 610 seconds before they are reset. I have the time-out period set at 1 minute, but that has made no difference. Recently, the mail servers at the ISP were holding over 2000 messages for delivery, but my exchange server was saying the maximum number of messages that could be delivered had been met. Any ideas on where to look to fix this? My system is exchange 2003, sp2 running on small business server 2003 standa...

Connect two Cells without loosing content
Hi, how is it possible to connect two cells without loosing content of on of those cells? Thanks Vick -- Vic197 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Vic1978's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2870 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49270 If you are talking about "Merging", then the answer is no. Excel will keep only the upperleftmost cell value when merging a range of cells. If you are actually wanting to do something else, post back with more specifics and someon...

How can I forward "Outlook Connecter" emails to main Inbox?
I'm currently using POP to deliver emails from my live.co.uk account to my Outlook 2007 inbox. Unfortunately, since trying to set up my Blackberry to access the same account, I get duplicate emails delivered to Outlook every 15 minutes. I've been advised to use the Outlook Connector to access the live.co.uk account. Only problem is that the emails get delivered into a separate inbox. I'd like to set a rule to move them into my main inbox, but can't get it to run automatically. It only works if I run the rule manually and select the "connector" inbo...

How do I create a shortcut on the Outlook Bar, that will open the News program?
How do I create a shortcut on the Outlook Bar, that will open the News program? In the same way as doing: View: Go To: News Thank You "Sam Kerracher" <kingpin128@lineone.net> wrote in message news:%23O4ukzQ4DHA.1804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > How do I create a shortcut on the Outlook Bar, that will open the News > program? In the same way as doing: > View: > Go To: > News > > Thank You > > Copy the OE shortcut onto the bar. Then Right-click on it, select Properties, and on the Target line, add the switch /outnews leaving a space between the &quo...

2000 Repair Now Outlook Is Dead (Connecting To Exchange Server)
I hope someone can help with this. Due to a crash I had to replace the motherboard on my PC. I am running Windows 2000 (SP4). I had to run the repair so it would start up but once it was complete everything came up accept my outlook. Everytime I try to fire it it tells me it can't access outlook.ost. I have uninstalled..re-installed..even went back to outlook 2000 but nothing works. How can I completely remove everything so that the system doesn't even know that office was installed. if that will even help. Procedures Tried: Uninstall ReInstall Repair Delete Profiles Delete ENTI...

using the same CRM connection to add tables
Hello, I'm creating reports in CRM using the microsoft CRM connection to get the data. In a previous workout I added some sights and want now to add some further sights. Now the problem: How can add tables or sights using the same connection I used in previous workout. If I add new tables, sights a new connection (*SSO*) is added and this is more than worst to the report speed. Thanks for your help Thomas Ott (itvt germany) ...

Repeated Network cable unplugged/connected revisited
I've changed the network cable, but with no improvement. On changing the modem I was researching the cost of a replacement when it finally dawned on me that as there are two other computers connected directly to the same router and none of those show the same problem it must be a problem with the machine I'm using. Maybe there's a dodgy RJ45 connector. Does anyone know of a software issue that might cause this or is it much more likely to be a hardware problem? "Unknown" wrote: > If possible you should try another modem. > "simonc" &l...

"Items to review " number will not go away (stuck)
I have been using the internet update option to download transactions. I have been able to review all items until my last download. Now I have (7)items to review but really I do not. How do I reset the Items to review. I have Money2003 In microsoft.public.money, Gary wrote: >I have been using the internet update option to download >transactions. I have been able to review all items until >my last download. Now I have (7)items to review but >really I do not. How do I reset the Items to review. I >have Money2003 In Internet Explorer delete your browser temporary files...

XML Pipeline
Hi. We were apprached by our supplier to update our inventory using their xml output. The question I have is how (brief overview) would this work and what are the security concerns. Our system was design in .net with a sql 2000 back-end. I understand that this is a fairly basic question for this group, but I'd thought that I'd ask here and recieve expert insight. Thank you in advance for your assistance. JJ ...

Have any of you successfully setup Entourage mail client for Mac to connect to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003?
Gurus, Have any of you successfully setup Entourage mail client for Mac to connect to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003? I have a client who has a smattering of these clients and while they all can connect successfully, read and send email, none can connect to the address book. They get an LDAP error whenever they try. -- Spin Yes. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Spin asked: | Gurus, | | Have...

You will pass all the exams at 1st attempt No more headaches and worry about spending the time and money to attempt another exam again. You will pass all of your exams, every time www.FreeExamKing.com
You will pass all the exams at 1st attempt No more headaches and worry about spending the time and money to attempt another exam again. You will pass all of your exams, every time www.FreeExamKing.com ...

Blocking incoming connections from countries..
Dear group, Within Small Business Server 2003 / Exchange 2003, is there an effective way to block all incoming mail connections from certain countries? I've noticed a disproportionately large number of connection attempts come from Russia and Taiwan, India and Africa. Since we don't do business with these countries, I'd like to block them to save bandwidth and storage. Is this easy to do on the Exchange server? Many thanks! Mike - Recipient Filtering can be used to block top-level domains. - For instance, to block all domains from TLD .ru, insert *@*.ru in Sender Filter...

Destroy ADO Connection
How do I destroy an ADO::_ConnectionPtr instance that is created by CreateInstance? Is Connection.Close sufficient? Thanks. Allan yes > Allan wrote: > How do I destroy an ADO::_ConnectionPtr instance that is created by > CreateInstance? > Is Connection.Close sufficient? > > Thanks. > > Allan ...

connection DDE with MS Excel
Help!!!! Who able is to resolve this problem? Premise: I am not an expert of Excel and I am using a problem of mailing to resolve it trying to contain the costs. Going for degrees: 1) I have created in excel a data base; 2) I have created in word a letter type; 3) then with mail merge etc. etc. PROBLEM All worked to the perfection, thin to a blackout. I launch the file word for the mail merge and during to load the file in excel this it appears "Bastard" message: "Impossible to reestablish a connection DDE with Microsoft Excel to complete the operation." Q...

unable to connect to Exchange Server via Outlook 2003
I upgraded to Outlook 2003 from Outlook 2000 and can no longer connect to my office Exchange Server (through a VPN). I get a message that the server is unavailable and an error number: 0x8004011D. Everything was working just fine via Outlook 2000. Note: I've seen similar posts and the suggested action was to create a new mail profile. However, I can't "Check Names" for the new profile until I'm successfully connected via Outlook (a Catch 22). Any suggestions? Thanks! - Mike I am having the same problem except I don't have a Microsoft Exchange Server. I need ...