Outlook won't open #13

Hi

I'm using Outlook 2000. Starting today, it refuses to open. It displays the
splash screen, then hangs. No error message, it just hangs as soon as it
displays the splash screen. Running Detect and Repair doesn't help. I
suspect a corrupt registry key or profile file. Any ideas?

0
dave.logan (15)

Dave Logan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using Outlook 2000. Starting today, it refuses to open. It
> displays the splash screen, then hangs. No error message, it just
> hangs as soon as it displays the splash screen. Running Detect and
> Repair doesn't help. I suspect a corrupt registry key or profile
> file. Any ideas?

Have you looked in the event viewer ? (Control Panel, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer)

--
John Blessing

http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

0
nospam.lbe (55)
10/12/2009 7:52:18 AM
I'm not sure how to make sense of what's in the event viewer? It looks like
gobbledegook to me. Can you give me some guidance?

Thanks

Dave

"John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message
| Dave Logan wrote:
| > Hi
| >
| > I'm using Outlook 2000. Starting today, it refuses to open. It
| > displays the splash screen, then hangs. No error message, it just
| > hangs as soon as it displays the splash screen. Running Detect and
| > Repair doesn't help. I suspect a corrupt registry key or profile
| > file. Any ideas?
|
| Have you looked in the event viewer ? (Control Panel, Administrative
Tools,
| Event Viewer)
|
| --
| John Blessing
|
| http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
| http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
| bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
| http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

0
dave.logan (15)
10/12/2009 10:13:26 AM
I've just tried starting Outlook again. I forgot to mention before that when
it hangs, it causes all other applications to run so slowly from then on
that I have to power the machine off  (it won't even let me restart
normally). Once I'd started my machine up again there were a whole series of
errors in the System section of the Event Viewer, but they make no sense to
me. Under the Source column it says SideBySide. If I double-click the
errors, then in the dialog box, under "Description", some of the errors say:

"Generate Activation Context failed for
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.163_x-ww_39049d00\MFC80U.DLL.
Reference error message: The operation completed successfully."

Some of them say:

"Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error
message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."

And some of them say:

"Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error
was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."

Does that tell you anything useful about what's going on?

Dave

"Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| I'm not sure how to make sense of what's in the event viewer? It looks
like
| gobbledegook to me. Can you give me some guidance?
|
| Thanks
|
| Dave
|

| "John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message
|| Dave Logan wrote:
|| > Hi
|| >
|| > I'm using Outlook 2000. Starting today, it refuses to open. It
|| > displays the splash screen, then hangs. No error message, it just
|| > hangs as soon as it displays the splash screen. Running Detect and
|| > Repair doesn't help. I suspect a corrupt registry key or profile
|| > file. Any ideas?
|| Have you looked in the event viewer ? (Control Panel, Administrative
| Tools,
|| Event Viewer)
|| --
|| John Blessing
|| http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
|| http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
|| bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
|| http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

dave.logan (15)
10/12/2009 10:43:15 AM
Dave

Look at the following

http://www.mcse.ms/archive/index.php/t-2730951.html
Also
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29153540/sidebyside-errors.aspx
and
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.platformsdk.msi&tid=542199cb-3fe4-4294-81db-9281bd3afb63&mid=def8049b-a457-4f07-addf-0008918acd44&cat=en_us_cd0b5927-cf9c-4c18-abbf-6f2213623116&lang=en&cr=us&sloc=&p=5
--
Peter

> I've just tried starting Outlook again. I forgot to mention before that when
> it hangs, it causes all other applications to run so slowly from then on
> that I have to power the machine off  (it won't even let me restart
> normally). Once I'd started my machine up again there were a whole series of
> errors in the System section of the Event Viewer, but they make no sense to
> me. Under the Source column it says SideBySide. If I double-click the
> errors, then in the dialog box, under "Description", some of the errors say:
>
> "Generate Activation Context failed for
> C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.163_x-ww_39049d00\MFC80U.DLL.
> Reference error message: The operation completed successfully."
>
> Some of them say:
>
> "Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error
> message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."
>
> And some of them say:
>
> "Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error
> was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."
>
> Does that tell you anything useful about what's going on?
>
> Dave
>

> "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> | I'm not sure how to make sense of what's in the event viewer? It looks
> like
> | gobbledegook to me. Can you give me some guidance?
> |
> | Thanks
> |
> | Dave
> |

> | "John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message

> || Have you looked in the event viewer ? (Control Panel, Administrative
> | Tools,
> || Event Viewer)
> || --
> || John Blessing
> || http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
> || http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
> || bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
> || http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

okf221 (388)
10/12/2009 3:58:22 PM
Dave Logan wrote:
> I've just tried starting Outlook again. I forgot to mention before
> that when it hangs, it causes all other applications to run so slowly
> from then on that I have to power the machine off  (it won't even let
> me restart normally). Once I'd started my machine up again there were
> a whole series of errors in the System section of the Event Viewer,
> but they make no sense to me. Under the Source column it says
> SideBySide. If I double-click the errors, then in the dialog box,
> under "Description", some of the errors say:
>
> "Generate Activation Context failed for
> C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.163_x-ww_39049d00\MFC80U.DLL.
> Reference error message: The operation completed successfully."
>
> Some of them say:
>
> "Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference
> error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your
> system."
>
> And some of them say:
>
> "Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last
> Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."
>
> Does that tell you anything useful about what's going on?
>
> Dave
>

> "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I'm not sure how to make sense of what's in the event viewer? It
>> looks like gobbledegook to me. Can you give me some guidance?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave

Looks to me like a reinstall of Outlook is called for

--
John Blessing

http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

0
nospam.lbe (55)
10/12/2009 4:36:55 PM
Hi Peter

I don't see the relevance of the first and third links - please could you
clarify? And when I click on the second link it takes me to a post that
reports a similar error but it has no replies that I can see, so I don't see
how that helps either.

Dave

| Dave
|
| Look at the following
|
| http://www.mcse.ms/archive/index.php/t-2730951.html
| Also
| http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29153540/sidebyside-errors.aspx
| and

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.platformsdk.msi&tid=542199cb-3fe4-4294-81db-9281bd3afb63&mid=def8049b-a457-4f07-addf-0008918acd44&cat=en_us_cd0b5927-cf9c-4c18-abbf-6f2213623116&lang=en&cr=us&sloc=&p=5
| --
| Peter
|
| Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
| Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
|
| "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| > I've just tried starting Outlook again. I forgot to mention before that
when
| > it hangs, it causes all other applications to run so slowly from then on
| > that I have to power the machine off  (it won't even let me restart
| > normally). Once I'd started my machine up again there were a whole
series of
| > errors in the System section of the Event Viewer, but they make no sense
| > me. Under the Source column it says SideBySide. If I double-click the
| > errors, then in the dialog box, under "Description", some of the errors
say:

| > "Generate Activation Context failed for

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.163_x-ww_39049d00\MFC80U.DLL.
| > Reference error message: The operation completed successfully."
| >
| > Some of them say:
| >
| > "Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference
error
| > message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."
| >
| > And some of them say:
| >
| > "Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last
Error
| > was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."
| >
| > Does that tell you anything useful about what's going on?
| >
| > Dave
| >

| > "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| > | I'm not sure how to make sense of what's in the event viewer? It looks
| > like
| > | gobbledegook to me. Can you give me some guidance?
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | Dave
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message

| > ||
| > | Tools,
| > ||
| > ||
| > ||
| > ||
| > |
| > |

0
dave.logan (15)
10/12/2009 5:32:42 PM

| Looks to me like a reinstall of Outlook is called for
|
| --
| John Blessing

That's very drastic. Are there no possible corruptions in the registry or
profile files that could be deleted, or DLLs that could be re-registered,
before resorting to that?

Dave

0
dave.logan (15)
10/12/2009 5:34:39 PM
Dave Logan wrote:
> "John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Looks to me like a reinstall of Outlook is called for
>>
>> --
>> John Blessing
>

> That's very drastic. Are there no possible corruptions in the
> registry or profile files that could be deleted, or DLLs that could
> be re-registered, before resorting to that?
>
> Dave

I don't know, but that is what I would do. Having first backed up all my
data of course.

--
John Blessing

http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

0
nospam.lbe (55)
10/12/2009 6:46:34 PM
Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix the problem. I've uninstalled and
reinstalled the whole of Office 2000, and Outlook still hangs on startup.
What now?

| Dave Logan wrote:
| > "John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message
| >
| >> Looks to me like a reinstall of Outlook is called for
| >>
| >> --
| >> John Blessing
| >

| > That's very drastic. Are there no possible corruptions in the
| > registry or profile files that could be deleted, or DLLs that could
| > be re-registered, before resorting to that?
| >
| > Dave
|
| I don't know, but that is what I would do. Having first backed up all my
| data of course.
|
| --
| John Blessing
|
| http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
| http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
| bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
| http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

0
dave.logan (15)
10/14/2009 7:08:59 PM
Hi Dave

Has anyone suggested opening Outlook in safe mode to see if that works?

Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe (note the space between outlook.exe and
/safe)

Also, what size is your PST?

> Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix the problem. I've uninstalled
and
> reinstalled the whole of Office 2000, and Outlook still hangs on startup.
> What now?
>
> Dave
>

> "John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message
> | Dave Logan wrote:
> | > "John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message

> | > That's very drastic. Are there no possible corruptions in the
> | > registry or profile files that could be deleted, or DLLs that could
> | > be re-registered, before resorting to that?
> | >
> | > Dave
> |
> | I don't know, but that is what I would do. Having first backed up all my
> | data of course.
> |
> | --
> | John Blessing
> |
> | http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
> | http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
> | bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
> | http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

0
korland (145)
10/14/2009 7:20:35 PM
Hi Kathleen

That works!!! Many thanks. But any idea how I could get it to open without
using safe mode?

Dave

"Kathleen Orland" <korland@nospamrogers.com> wrote in message
| Hi Dave
|
| Has anyone suggested opening Outlook in safe mode to see if that works?
|
| Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe (note the space between outlook.exe and
| /safe)
|
| Also, what size is your PST?
|
| "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| > Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix the problem. I've uninstalled
| and
| > reinstalled the whole of Office 2000, and Outlook still hangs on
startup.
| > What now?
| >
| > Dave
| >

| > "John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message

| > |
| > | I don't know, but that is what I would do. Having first backed up all
my
| > | data of course.
| > |
| > | --
| > | John Blessing
| > |
| > | http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
| > | http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
| > | bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
| > | http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails
| > |
| > |

0
dave.logan (15)
10/14/2009 7:49:06 PM
PS - just noticed your second question. My PST is 13.5MB.

| Hi Kathleen
|
| That works!!! Many thanks. But any idea how I could get it to open without
| using safe mode?
|
| Dave
|

| "Kathleen Orland" <korland@nospamrogers.com> wrote in message
|| Hi Dave
|| Has anyone suggested opening Outlook in safe mode to see if that works?
|| Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe (note the space between outlook.exe and
|| /safe)
|| Also, what size is your PST?
|| "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
|| > Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix the problem. I've uninstalled
|| and
|| > reinstalled the whole of Office 2000, and Outlook still hangs on
| startup.
|| > What now?
|| >
|| > Dave
|| >

|| > "John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message

|| > |
| my
|| > |
|| > |
|| > |
|| > |

dave.logan (15)
10/14/2009 7:52:16 PM
If safe mode opens Outlook then you have an Add In that's causing this
problem. Disable all your Add Ins, then open Outlook normally. Add them
back, one at a time, and test each inbetween. That'll show you what the
culprit is.

"Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Kathleen
>
> That works!!! Many thanks. But any idea how I could get it to open without
> using safe mode?
>
> Dave
>

> "Kathleen Orland" <korland@nospamrogers.com> wrote in message
> | Hi Dave
> |
> | Has anyone suggested opening Outlook in safe mode to see if that works?
> |
> | Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe (note the space between outlook.exe and
> | /safe)
> |
> | Also, what size is your PST?
> |
> | "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> | > Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix the problem. I've
uninstalled
> | and
> | > reinstalled the whole of Office 2000, and Outlook still hangs on
> startup.
> | > What now?
> | >
> | > Dave
> | >

> | > "John Blessing" <nospam.lbe@REMOVE_THISgmail.com> wrote in message

> | > |
> my
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

0
korland (145)
10/14/2009 9:01:16 PM
Not too large then. Outlook 2002 and earlier has a limit on the size the PST
can become. You have lots of space yet. Once your PST hits around 1.6 GB and
above, it's time to create another. The max size is 2 GB but the PST can
become a little flakey before that and even corrupt.

> PS - just noticed your second question. My PST is 13.5MB.
>
> Dave
>

> "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> | Hi Kathleen
> |
> | That works!!! Many thanks. But any idea how I could get it to open
without
> | using safe mode?
> |
> | Dave
> |

> | "Kathleen Orland" <korland@nospamrogers.com> wrote in message
> || Hi Dave
> || Has anyone suggested opening Outlook in safe mode to see if that works?
> || Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe (note the space between outlook.exe and
> || /safe)
> || Also, what size is your PST?
> || "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> || and
> | startup.

> || > |
> | my
> || > |
> || > |
> || > |
> || > |

korland (145)
10/14/2009 9:02:23 PM
Thanks for that info, good to know.

| Not too large then. Outlook 2002 and earlier has a limit on the size the
PST
| can become. You have lots of space yet. Once your PST hits around 1.6 GB
and
| above, it's time to create another. The max size is 2 GB but the PST can
| become a little flakey before that and even corrupt.
|
| "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| > PS - just noticed your second question. My PST is 13.5MB.
| >
| > Dave
| >

| > "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| > | Hi Kathleen
| > |
| > | That works!!! Many thanks. But any idea how I could get it to open
| without
| > | using safe mode?
| > |
| > | Dave
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Kathleen Orland" <korland@nospamrogers.com> wrote in message
| > ||
works?
| > ||
| > ||
| > ||
| uninstalled
| > | startup.

| message

| could

| > || > |
| all
| > | my
| > || > |
| > || > |
| > || > |
| > || > |

| > ||
| > ||
| > |
| > |

0
dave.logan (15)
10/14/2009 10:16:24 PM
Well then my problem must be the most obscure one that you've ever dealt
with, because that hasn't fixed the problem. :-(

OTOH, that means it's a great test for your ingenuity and detective skills.
:-)

I hadn't knowingly installed any add-ons but some applications appear to
have installed some without my knowledge.

Under "Add-in Manager", two add-ins are listed, but neither of them are
checked. It doesn't appear to be possible to remove them from the list
altogether, but given that they're unchecked, I presume they can't be doing
anything?

Under "COM add-ins, there was an iTunes add-in (goodness knows why!), but
I've uninstalled it now, and the problem hasn't gone away, although I've
confirmed that nothing is listed under COM add-ins any more. I tried
restarting my machine in case the uninstallation  of the add-in required a
machine restart to take effect properly, but I've still got the problem!

So how good is your Harriet Vane impersonation?

| If safe mode opens Outlook then you have an Add In that's causing this
| problem. Disable all your Add Ins, then open Outlook normally. Add them
| back, one at a time, and test each inbetween. That'll show you what the
| culprit is.
|

| "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| > Hi Kathleen
| >
| > That works!!! Many thanks. But any idea how I could get it to open
without
| > using safe mode?
| >
| > Dave
| >

| > "Kathleen Orland" <korland@nospamrogers.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi Dave
| > |
| > | Has anyone suggested opening Outlook in safe mode to see if that
works?
| > |
| > | Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe (note the space between outlook.exe
and
| > | /safe)
| > |
| > | Also, what size is your PST?
| > |
| > | "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| uninstalled
| > | and
| > startup.

| could

| > | > |
| all
| > my
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

0
dave.logan (15)
10/14/2009 10:26:46 PM
Well, I never attended Shrewsbury and I haven't poisoned my husband though I
have been known on occasion to threaten to smother him in his sleep...

Have you tried deleting and recreating your Outlook profile?

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm

Or you may want to run a repair on your PST file anyway, just to be on the
safe side:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/ha010563001033.aspx (make sure
Outlook is closed when you do this)

You can also try to run a Detect and Repair from the Help Menu, but you will
likely need your Office CD to complete that.

> Hi
>
> I'm using Outlook 2000. Starting today, it refuses to open. It displays
the
> splash screen, then hangs. No error message, it just hangs as soon as it
> displays the splash screen. Running Detect and Repair doesn't help. I
> suspect a corrupt registry key or profile file. Any ideas?

0
korland (145)
10/15/2009 1:38:27 PM
Hi Kathleen

| Well, I never attended Shrewsbury and I haven't poisoned my husband though
| I have been known on occasion to threaten to smother him in his sleep...

LOL!

| Have you tried deleting and recreating your Outlook profile?
|
| http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm

Well I've just looked in Control Panel + Mail, and no profiles are listed
there. I suspect my Outlook email profile was probably deleted when I
uninstalled and reinstalled Office (although I normally use OE for email
anyway - I use Outlook primarily for its diary and scheduling etc.).

| Or you may want to run a repair on your PST file anyway, just to be on the
| safe side:
|
| http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/ha010563001033.aspx (make sure
| Outlook is closed when you do this)

It says no errors were found.

| You can also try to run a Detect and Repair from the Help Menu, but you
| will likely need your Office CD to complete that.

Detect and repair doesn't fix the problem and nor does uninstalling and
reinstalling Office!

Happy sleuthing!

In the meantime I've created a shortcut for my quick launch bar that starts
Outlook up in safe mode, which is a usable temporary solution, so many
thanks for your help with getting that far.

Dave

| "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| > Hi
| >
| > I'm using Outlook 2000. Starting today, it refuses to open. It displays
| the
| > splash screen, then hangs. No error message, it just hangs as soon as it
| > displays the splash screen. Running Detect and Repair doesn't help. I
| > suspect a corrupt registry key or profile file. Any ideas?

0
dave.logan (15)
10/15/2009 2:43:13 PM
Hi again Kathleen.

I've just had a thought. In a previous message I mentioned that under
"Add-in Manager", two add-ins are listed, but neither of them are checked.
It doesn't appear to be possible to remove them from the list
altogether, but given that they're unchecked, I had presumed they couldn't
be doing anything. However, given that I had uninstalled and reinstalled
Office, I'm wondering why those add-ins are still in the list at all - one
would have expected a full uninstall to have removed them - and wondered
whether they are somehow causing the problem despite the fact that they are
unchecked. But as I say, I can't see any way of removing them from the list
of add-ins.

Do you think I might be onto something with this line of enquiry, and if so,
do you have any idea where to go from here?

Dave

"Kathleen Orland" <korland@nospamrogers.com> wrote in message
| If safe mode opens Outlook then you have an Add In that's causing this
| problem. Disable all your Add Ins, then open Outlook normally. Add them
| back, one at a time, and test each inbetween. That'll show you what the
| culprit is.
|

| "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| > Hi Kathleen
| >
| > That works!!! Many thanks. But any idea how I could get it to open
without
| > using safe mode?
| >
| > Dave
| >

| > "Kathleen Orland" <korland@nospamrogers.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi Dave
| > |
| > | Has anyone suggested opening Outlook in safe mode to see if that
works?
| > |
| > | Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe (note the space between outlook.exe
and
| > | /safe)
| > |
| > | Also, what size is your PST?
| > |
| > | "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| uninstalled
| > | and
| > startup.

| could

| > | > |
| all
| > my
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

0
dave.logan (15)
10/16/2009 2:16:13 PM
If they're unchecked, then there's nothing to worry about. Are you perhaps
synching Outlook to a handheld? Using FAX software? Scanning email with
antivirus? Things like that hook into Outlook as well.

"Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm using Outlook 2000. Starting today, it refuses to open. It displays
the
> splash screen, then hangs. No error message, it just hangs as soon as it
> displays the splash screen. Running Detect and Repair doesn't help. I
> suspect a corrupt registry key or profile file. Any ideas?

0
korland (145)
10/16/2009 2:32:58 PM
Hi Kathleen

| If they're unchecked, then there's nothing to worry about. Are you perhaps
| synching Outlook to a handheld? Using FAX software? Scanning email with
| antivirus? Things like that hook into Outlook as well.

No. One of those unchecked add-ons was an anti-virus one, but my anti-virus
software is currently configured not to scan emails or to interact in any
way with Outlook, and as I say, that add-on is unchecked.

Oh dear, this seems like it's not going to be resolvable. Thanks for the
partial resolution anyway, of using safe mode - that's a million times
better than no resolution at all.

Dave

| "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
| > Hi
| >
| > I'm using Outlook 2000. Starting today, it refuses to open. It displays
| the
| > splash screen, then hangs. No error message, it just hangs as soon as it
| > displays the splash screen. Running Detect and Repair doesn't help. I
| > suspect a corrupt registry key or profile file. Any ideas?

0
dave.logan (15)
10/17/2009 6:55:19 PM

> No. One of those unchecked add-ons was an anti-virus one, but my anti-virus
> software is currently configured not to scan emails or to interact in any
> way with Outlook, and as I say, that add-on is unchecked.

Even if it's disabled, if the mail scanner feature is installed, it can
interfere.  Uninstall the AV program completely and reinstall it without the
mail scanning feature.  Does that make a difference?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
10/19/2009 12:05:37 PM
'Fraid not ...

Thanks anyway.

Dave

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| "Dave Logan" <dave.logan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
|
| > No. One of those unchecked add-ons was an anti-virus one, but my
anti-virus
| > software is currently configured not to scan emails or to interact in
any
| > way with Outlook, and as I say, that add-on is unchecked.
|
| Even if it's disabled, if the mail scanner feature is installed, it can
| interfere.  Uninstall the AV program completely and reinstall it without
the
| mail scanning feature.  Does that make a difference?
| --
| Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
dave.logan (15)
10/19/2009 4:16:56 PM
If you want to recover your emails in your system, you can try a  tool
called Advanced Outlook Repair. You can download a free demo version
at  http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe . I think it is a useful
repair tool for you. It is easy to recover your PST file by using its
wizard. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other
objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

Wangdong
0
wangdong (38)
10/22/2009 8:56:13 AM
That's not my problem. Outlook opens in Safe mode, just not in normal mode;
and the PST is fine.

Dave

"wangdong" <wangdong@datanumen.net> wrote in message
| If you want to recover your emails in your system, you can try a  tool
| called Advanced Outlook Repair. You can download a free demo version
| at  http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe . I think it is a useful
| repair tool for you. It is easy to recover your PST file by using its
| wizard. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other
| objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files.
|
| Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at
| http://www.datanumen.com/aor/
|
| Wangdong

0
dave.logan (15)
10/29/2009 8:28:48 PM
If you want to recover your emails in your system, you can try a
tool
called Advanced Outlook Repair. You can download a free demo version
at  http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe . I think it is a useful
repair tool for you. It is easy to recover your PST file by using its
wizard. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other
objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

Wangdong

0
wangdong (38)

Outlook Sales

owa cant open ppt attachments

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

outlook will not save my outgoing mail

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

contact list #13

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...

outlook 2007 e-mail

CRM and Outlook Integration 07-22-03