Outlook will not launch after installing latest MS patch

I'm running Windows XP Pro.  Received MS Auto update
notification to install lastest security upgrades which I
do religiously and did this time.  Rebooted, clicked on
outlook 2002 icon, got "hourglass" for a few seconds then
nothing. Outlook did not launch.  Rebooted - same thing.
Any ideas would be greatly apreciated!

Thanks!
0
topcorner (1)

Does Outlook start in safe mode? (outlook.exe /safe)  if the answer is yes,
try renaming the file named outcmd.dat.

"topcorner" <topcorner@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows XP Pro.  Received MS Auto update
> notification to install lastest security upgrades which I
> do religiously and did this time.  Rebooted, clicked on
> outlook 2002 icon, got "hourglass" for a few seconds then
> nothing. Outlook did not launch.  Rebooted - same thing.
> Any ideas would be greatly apreciated!
>
> Thanks!

0
neo5748 (288)
8/24/2003 12:59:20 AM
oucmd.dat is in an hidden/system folder and windows xp will not traverse
those directories unless you configure it to do so.  fwiw, i find it easier
to open a command prompt, go the root of the C: drive and type: dir /a /s
outcmd.dat

If the patch can be uninstalled, it will be listed in the add/remove
programs applet in the control panel.  If it isn't listed there, you can try
a system restore (start | programs | accessories | system tools | system
restore).  The wizard is pretty good at explaining that you pick a date and
it will roll back to that time frame.  The downside is that you will lose
any applications installed from that data including any *.exe files that you
have downloaded.

cheers
/neo

ps - when you get the dialog that you settings can't be saved, it generally
means that an application is still holding a valid reference to the registry
and said registry can't be closed properly.  i've seen patches by ms for
windows 2000 cause this, but haven't heard/seen anything for windows xp.

> Thanks for the reply - I tried your suggest -
> unfortunately, same result - hourgalss for a couple
> seconds and then nothing. I also seached my entire hard
> drive for the file "outcmd.dat".  No such file exists.
>
> A couple other questios - Is there a way to "backout" the
> updates I recently made?  I can see them in the MS update
> listing so I know they were successful.  I also noticed
> that Win XP does not shutdown all the way.  Gets hung
> on "saving your settings..." Thanks again!

0
neo5748 (288)

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation 11-08-07

Reporting from Project Server

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

cannot open hyper links in outlook

MS POS = RMS? Also, SQL Connectivity...

outlook 97 and express email problems

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Document Viewer installer error

using the journal on outlook

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

outlook 2007 e-mail

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Outlook Recall Msg Process