Outlook user name error?

Outlook 2003
Comcast POP3

I get an user name error when trying to setup outlook to be the client for
comcast mail. The comcast servers and ports are setup properly.

I was wondering if the username convention might be a problem for my mother

first.last@comcast.net

I setup my account on her machine as xxxxxxxx@comcast.net and it went just
fine.

Is there a problem with the . (dot) in the user name field that outlook does
not like?

On web mail the user name/password works fine.

Any help appreciated. She really likes outlook.

--

*****************
John Lenz

0
JohnLenz (10)

John L, you  wrote on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:07:05 -0500:

> I get an user name error when trying to setup outlook

Please provide the entire error message you receive.

> Is there a problem with the . (dot) in the user name field

No!

--
Best Regards
Christian Goeller

MVP - MS Outlook
http://www.outlookfaq.net
0
cg2706 (163)
3/24/2009 10:27:28 PM
John L wrote:

> Outlook 2003
> Comcast POP3
>
> I get an user name error when trying to setup outlook to be the client for
> comcast mail. The comcast servers and ports are setup properly.
>
> I was wondering if the username convention might be a problem for my mother
>
> first.last@comcast.net
>
> I setup my account on her machine as xxxxxxxx@comcast.net and it went just
> fine.
>
> Is there a problem with the . (dot) in the user name field that outlook does
> not like?
>
> On web mail the user name/password works fine.
>
> Any help appreciated. She really likes outlook.

My account's username is "firstname.lastname".  Works just fine.  The
period character (".") is a legitimate character in the username at
Comcast.

Are you entering *just* the username in the Username field in the login
credentials for your Comcast e-mail account?  Or are you trying to use
the entire e-mail address as the username?  Just use the username.
While some e-mail providers, like Hotmail and Gmail, require that you
end the entire e-mail address (and now Yahoo after they added the
ymail.com and rocketmail.com domains to yahoo.com), Comcast does not
because they just use the one domain.

What do you use when logging into the e-mail account when using the
webmail interface?
0
V4521 (722)
3/25/2009 1:57:56 AM
Folks,

Thanks for your help. This is a Comcast issue that they are not owning up
to.

I got the email account working by changing the password and running the
"test settings" process.
That worked and I checked out the outlook 2003 account and it got  mail just
fine.  I then changed back to the original password (mom remembers that
one). this worked for one day.

Suddenly, outlook receive stopped working again. My call to comcast went as
follows; configured properly with ports and servers -> outlook error;
goodbye.

I again changed the password and it took 2-3 times of "test settings" before
it worked. I then restored the original password and outlook receives mail.

The comcast web access login/password worked while outlook did not.

--

*****************
John Lenz

> John L wrote:
>
>> Outlook 2003
>> Comcast POP3
>>
>> I get an user name error when trying to setup outlook to be the client
>> for
>> comcast mail. The comcast servers and ports are setup properly.
>>
>> I was wondering if the username convention might be a problem for my
>> mother
>>
>> first.last@comcast.net
>>
>> I setup my account on her machine as xxxxxxxx@comcast.net and it went
>> just
>> fine.
>>
>> Is there a problem with the . (dot) in the user name field that outlook
>> does
>> not like?
>>
>> On web mail the user name/password works fine.
>>
>> Any help appreciated. She really likes outlook.
>
> My account's username is "firstname.lastname".  Works just fine.  The
> period character (".") is a legitimate character in the username at
> Comcast.
>
> Are you entering *just* the username in the Username field in the login
> credentials for your Comcast e-mail account?  Or are you trying to use
> the entire e-mail address as the username?  Just use the username.
> While some e-mail providers, like Hotmail and Gmail, require that you
> end the entire e-mail address (and now Yahoo after they added the
> ymail.com and rocketmail.com domains to yahoo.com), Comcast does not
> because they just use the one domain.
>
> What do you use when logging into the e-mail account when using the
> webmail interface?

0
JohnLenz (10)

Crash on 'Send"

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

XCH Error 3092, OAB replication

Unlocking a User
I have GP10 and a user entered a password wrong too many times. I am logged into GP and an under 'Admininstration' and do not see a way to unlock the user. Am I in the right place? Where do I need to go? Thanks, John John, Are you enforcing password policies for your users in GP? If so, go to Microsoft Dynamics GP > Tools > Setup > System > User. Enter a temporary password for the user and check the Change Password Next Login box. Provide the user with the temporary password and the system will do the rest. Again, this is all assuming your are enforcing pas...

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

Linker Error after upgrade from VC7.1

Outlook 2003

cant start outlook pst file to large

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

owa not resolving names properly
Exchange 5.5 sp4 - just recently OWA is not resolving addresses properly - the administrator at this site states: > There is a strange situation happening when using OWA to send emails. If > we try to send an email to an account out of our domain (i.e. > jravazzano@yahoo.com) the recipient name and domain get wrongly resolved > to our own domain thus generating a message undeliverable. > > For example using OWA a test email was sent to "jravazzano@yahoo.com" the > address gets resolved to j@ourdomain.com The admin is going to give me an account to test with, but...

adding name /creating field/query?

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

error on upgrade: ID 4386