outlook should let me move emails from sent to a specific folder

It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual mail
itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing. Can't
there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this new
wizard too cumbersome and complex.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=44bcb744-b29d-4db1-81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

Not true. The Rules Wizard has not changed and most certainly allows
messages to be moved, not just copied. Your rule is not constructed
correctly.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"zalamander" <zalamander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual
> mail
> itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing.
> Can't
> there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this new
> wizard too cumbersome and complex.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=44bcb744-b29d-4db1-81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

0
russval1 (2100)
10/10/2005 10:01:31 AM
In addition to what Russ said, make sure your rules end in "Stop Processing"
actions or else you might get duplication of items.

"zalamander" <zalamander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual
> mail
> itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing.
> Can't
> there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this new
> wizard too cumbersome and complex.

0
vince8328 (2733)
10/10/2005 10:22:34 AM
Are you referring to the action on Sent items? For Sent items you can only
"move a copy" but moving acts on the Inbox.

--
Bill Rodgers MVP
"zalamander" <zalamander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual
> mail
> itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing.
> Can't
> there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this new
> wizard too cumbersome and complex.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=44bcb744-b29d-4db1-81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

0
BillR9171 (440)
10/10/2005 10:36:27 AM
How do I do that? For sent items (as requested by the OP), the option is
only to copy, not move. For a LONG time now I've wanted to move, not copy,
sent messages to my IMAP sent items folder, but OL insists on keeping a copy
in my local folders Sent Items folder too. The option is definitely only to
move a COPY when checking after sending.

OK, so I do see what's happening. The copy gets placed in the IMAP folder
correctly, but because I have a "Save a copy of sent" turned on, that
happens locally too. However I can't just turn it off, because there are
other accounts (POP3) where I DO want to keep a local copy, and it's a
global setting.

There are` other situations where I want specific sent mail moved, yet
always end up with two copies. For example:

Can I set up a rule that will keep defined sent mail with the original
message I'm replying to? OL has an option to keep all sent mail with the
original, but for some reason it only applies to folders OTHER THAN Inbox,
and it can't be targeted at specific messages using a rule. It seems to me
that to make any use of OL's conversation grouping, I need to have replies
kept with the original, or I only see half the conversation?

Mark

> Not true. The Rules Wizard has not changed and most certainly allows
> messages to be moved, not just copied. Your rule is not constructed
> correctly.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "zalamander" <zalamander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual
>> mail
>> itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing.
>> Can't
>> there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this new
>> wizard too cumbersome and complex.
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=44bcb744-b29d-4db1-81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

Yep I agree it would be nice to be able to move not copy.  To get around it,
make one or more rules to move sent items, and then also make a rule to
delete all sent items. Make sure the rules are set to run in the correct
order!

Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook]
Acorn Training and Consulting
www.acorntraining.com.au

Everyone - turn on your Advanced Toolbars and learn how to use the Field
Chooser and Group by Box!!

"BillR [MVP]" <BillR@removethisbitMVPS.org> wrote in message
> Are you referring to the action on Sent items? For Sent items you can only
> "move a copy" but moving acts on the Inbox.
>
> --
> Bill Rodgers MVP
> "zalamander" <zalamander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual
>> mail
>> itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing.
>> Can't
>> there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this new
>> wizard too cumbersome and complex.
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=44bcb744-b29d-4db1-81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

0
gleeson_judy (322)
10/10/2005 11:16:03 AM
You need to clarify your post. About which mail transport are you inquiring?
IMAP is not like other mail transports. I have no experience with it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Mark R Penn" <spamyourself@notme.con> wrote in message
> How do I do that? For sent items (as requested by the OP), the option is
> only to copy, not move. For a LONG time now I've wanted to move, not copy,
> sent messages to my IMAP sent items folder, but OL insists on keeping a
> copy in my local folders Sent Items folder too. The option is definitely
> only to move a COPY when checking after sending.
>
> OK, so I do see what's happening. The copy gets placed in the IMAP folder
> correctly, but because I have a "Save a copy of sent" turned on, that
> happens locally too. However I can't just turn it off, because there are
> other accounts (POP3) where I DO want to keep a local copy, and it's a
> global setting.
>
> There are` other situations where I want specific sent mail moved, yet
> always end up with two copies. For example:
>
> Can I set up a rule that will keep defined sent mail with the original
> message I'm replying to? OL has an option to keep all sent mail with the
> original, but for some reason it only applies to folders OTHER THAN Inbox,
> and it can't be targeted at specific messages using a rule. It seems to me
> that to make any use of OL's conversation grouping, I need to have replies
> kept with the original, or I only see half the conversation?
>
> Mark
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Not true. The Rules Wizard has not changed and most certainly allows
>> messages to be moved, not just copied. Your rule is not constructed
>> correctly.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "zalamander" <zalamander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual
>>> mail
>>> itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing.
>>> Can't
>>> there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this
>>> new
>>> wizard too cumbersome and complex.
>>>
>>> ----------------
>>> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>>> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>>> "I
>>> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>>> this
>>> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
>>> then
>>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=44bcb744-b29d-4db1-81f7-3096d395f9fa&dg=microsoft.public.outlook

0
russval1 (2100)
10/10/2005 11:28:05 AM
Well specifically IMAP in my case, as I said, but I'd also like to know how
in general I move, not copy, sent mail, as requested by the OP?

If the question needs to be related specifically to POP3: How do I create a
rule that takes certain specific e-mails, and moves them to a given folder,
without keeping a copy in the Sent Items folder, and yet leaves all other
sent mail alone?

Mark

> You need to clarify your post. About which mail transport are you
> inquiring? IMAP is not like other mail transports. I have no experience
> with it.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Mark R Penn" <spamyourself@notme.con> wrote in message
>> How do I do that? For sent items (as requested by the OP), the option is
>> only to copy, not move. For a LONG time now I've wanted to move, not
>> copy, sent messages to my IMAP sent items folder, but OL insists on
>> keeping a copy in my local folders Sent Items folder too. The option is
>> definitely only to move a COPY when checking after sending.
>>
>> OK, so I do see what's happening. The copy gets placed in the IMAP folder
>> correctly, but because I have a "Save a copy of sent" turned on, that
>> happens locally too. However I can't just turn it off, because there are
>> other accounts (POP3) where I DO want to keep a local copy, and it's a
>> global setting.
>>
>> There are` other situations where I want specific sent mail moved, yet
>> always end up with two copies. For example:
>>
>> Can I set up a rule that will keep defined sent mail with the original
>> message I'm replying to? OL has an option to keep all sent mail with the
>> original, but for some reason it only applies to folders OTHER THAN
>> Inbox, and it can't be targeted at specific messages using a rule. It
>> seems to me that to make any use of OL's conversation grouping, I need to
>> have replies kept with the original, or I only see half the conversation?
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Not true. The Rules Wizard has not changed and most certainly allows
>>> messages to be moved, not just copied. Your rule is not constructed
>>> correctly.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "zalamander" <zalamander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

In your first post it was not clear you were talking about mail you are
sending, so I was referring to mail you are receiving. Diane has your
scenario covered the best way I know how.
--
> Well specifically IMAP in my case, as I said, but I'd also like to know
> how in general I move, not copy, sent mail, as requested by the OP?
>
> If the question needs to be related specifically to POP3: How do I create
> a rule that takes certain specific e-mails, and moves them to a given
> folder, without keeping a copy in the Sent Items folder, and yet leaves
> all other sent mail alone?
>
> Mark
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> You need to clarify your post. About which mail transport are you
>> inquiring? IMAP is not like other mail transports. I have no experience
>> with it.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Mark R Penn" <spamyourself@notme.con> wrote in message
>>> How do I do that? For sent items (as requested by the OP), the option is
>>> only to copy, not move. For a LONG time now I've wanted to move, not
>>> copy, sent messages to my IMAP sent items folder, but OL insists on
>>> keeping a copy in my local folders Sent Items folder too. The option is
>>> definitely only to move a COPY when checking after sending.
>>>
>>> OK, so I do see what's happening. The copy gets placed in the IMAP
>>> folder correctly, but because I have a "Save a copy of sent" turned on,
>>> that happens locally too. However I can't just turn it off, because
>>> there are other accounts (POP3) where I DO want to keep a local copy,
>>> and it's a global setting.
>>>
>>> There are` other situations where I want specific sent mail moved, yet
>>> always end up with two copies. For example:
>>>
>>> Can I set up a rule that will keep defined sent mail with the original
>>> message I'm replying to? OL has an option to keep all sent mail with the
>>> original, but for some reason it only applies to folders OTHER THAN
>>> Inbox, and it can't be targeted at specific messages using a rule. It
>>> seems to me that to make any use of OL's conversation grouping, I need
>>> to have replies kept with the original, or I only see half the
>>> conversation?
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
10/10/2005 8:09:43 PM
With respect Russ, I don't think it could have been any clearer:

Original posters subject:

"outlook should let me move emails from SENT to a specific folder"

First paragraph of my first post:

"How do I do that? For SENT items (as requested by the OP), the option is
only to copy, not move. For a long time now I've wanted to move, not copy,
SENT messages to my IMAP SENT items folder, but OL insists on keeping a copy
in my local folders SENT Items folder too. The option is definitely only to
move a copy when checking after SENDING."

That's 5 references to sent in just 68 words!

Perhaps a case where speed reading actually slows things down, as we end up
going round in circles when it's not accurate?  ;)

Mark

> In your first post it was not clear you were talking about mail you are
> sending, so I was referring to mail you are receiving. Diane has your
> scenario covered the best way I know how.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Mark R Penn" <spamyourself@notme.con> wrote in message
>> Well specifically IMAP in my case, as I said, but I'd also like to know
>> how in general I move, not copy, sent mail, as requested by the OP?
>>
>> If the question needs to be related specifically to POP3: How do I create
>> a rule that takes certain specific e-mails, and moves them to a given
>> folder, without keeping a copy in the Sent Items folder, and yet leaves
>> all other sent mail alone?
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You need to clarify your post. About which mail transport are you
>>> inquiring? IMAP is not like other mail transports. I have no experience
>>> with it.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Mark R Penn" <spamyourself@notme.con> wrote in message

Look at my first reply. 5 AM EST. Are you hitting on all 8 at 5 AM?
The title was unclear. The post said absolutely nothing about Sent mail.
Give me a break.
--
> With respect Russ, I don't think it could have been any clearer:
>
> Original posters subject:
>
> "outlook should let me move emails from SENT to a specific folder"
>
> First paragraph of my first post:
>
> "How do I do that? For SENT items (as requested by the OP), the option is
> only to copy, not move. For a long time now I've wanted to move, not copy,
> SENT messages to my IMAP SENT items folder, but OL insists on keeping a
> copy in my local folders SENT Items folder too. The option is definitely
> only to move a copy when checking after SENDING."
>
> That's 5 references to sent in just 68 words!
>
> Perhaps a case where speed reading actually slows things down, as we end
> up going round in circles when it's not accurate?  ;)
>
> Mark
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In your first post it was not clear you were talking about mail you are
>> sending, so I was referring to mail you are receiving. Diane has your
>> scenario covered the best way I know how.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Mark R Penn" <spamyourself@notme.con> wrote in message
>>> Well specifically IMAP in my case, as I said, but I'd also like to know
>>> how in general I move, not copy, sent mail, as requested by the OP?
>>>
>>> If the question needs to be related specifically to POP3: How do I
>>> create a rule that takes certain specific e-mails, and moves them to a
>>> given folder, without keeping a copy in the Sent Items folder, and yet
>>> leaves all other sent mail alone?
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
10/11/2005 11:51:29 AM
No, not at 5 am. But of course I don't get to see what time you post, as I
see my local time only (it was 11.01 am). I have to assume that you post
when you feel up to it.

Also, you assumed that I was the original poster, twice, and I wasn't.

Given the context in which the original poster posted (MS's suggestions
form), I think his post was 100% clear, and that your reply was abrupt ("Not
true...........Your rule is not constructed correctly.").

Like you say, give us a break - we're only asking questions.

Mark

> Look at my first reply. 5 AM EST. Are you hitting on all 8 at 5 AM?
> The title was unclear. The post said absolutely nothing about Sent mail.
> Give me a break.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Mark R Penn" <spamyourself@notme.con> wrote in message
>> With respect Russ, I don't think it could have been any clearer:
>>
>> Original posters subject:
>>
>> "outlook should let me move emails from SENT to a specific folder"
>>
>> First paragraph of my first post:
>>
>> "How do I do that? For SENT items (as requested by the OP), the option is
>> only to copy, not move. For a long time now I've wanted to move, not
>> copy, SENT messages to my IMAP SENT items folder, but OL insists on
>> keeping a copy in my local folders SENT Items folder too. The option is
>> definitely only to move a copy when checking after SENDING."
>>
>> That's 5 references to sent in just 68 words!
>>
>> Perhaps a case where speed reading actually slows things down, as we end
>> up going round in circles when it's not accurate?  ;)
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> In your first post it was not clear you were talking about mail you are
>>> sending, so I was referring to mail you are receiving. Diane has your
>>> scenario covered the best way I know how.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Mark R Penn" <spamyourself@notme.con> wrote in message

Will do. I am sorry for misinterpreting the post. I never confused you with
the original poster.
You'll notice I wasn't alone. Vince got tricked into to thinking the same
thing I did, and he's a whole hour ahead of me and a lot smarter. 99% of the
people who post about rules copying messages instead of moving them have
simply constructed the rule without including the "stop processing more
rules" command.
--
> No, not at 5 am. But of course I don't get to see what time you post, as I
> see my local time only (it was 11.01 am). I have to assume that you post
> when you feel up to it.
>
> Also, you assumed that I was the original poster, twice, and I wasn't.
>
> Given the context in which the original poster posted (MS's suggestions
> form), I think his post was 100% clear, and that your reply was abrupt
> ("Not true...........Your rule is not constructed correctly.").
>
> Like you say, give us a break - we're only asking questions.
>
> Mark
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Look at my first reply. 5 AM EST. Are you hitting on all 8 at 5 AM?
>> The title was unclear. The post said absolutely nothing about Sent mail.
>> Give me a break.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Mark R Penn" <spamyourself@notme.con> wrote in message
>>> With respect Russ, I don't think it could have been any clearer:
>>>
>>> Original posters subject:
>>>
>>> "outlook should let me move emails from SENT to a specific folder"
>>>
>>> First paragraph of my first post:
>>>
>>> "How do I do that? For SENT items (as requested by the OP), the option
>>> is only to copy, not move. For a long time now I've wanted to move, not
>>> copy, SENT messages to my IMAP SENT items folder, but OL insists on
>>> keeping a copy in my local folders SENT Items folder too. The option is
>>> definitely only to move a copy when checking after SENDING."
>>>
>>> That's 5 references to sent in just 68 words!
>>>
>>> Perhaps a case where speed reading actually slows things down, as we end
>>> up going round in circles when it's not accurate?  ;)
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
10/11/2005 9:40:54 PM
No problem :)

> Will do. I am sorry for misinterpreting the post. I never confused you
> with the original poster.
> You'll notice I wasn't alone. Vince got tricked into to thinking the same
> thing I did, and he's a whole hour ahead of me and a lot smarter. 99% of
> the people who post about rules copying messages instead of moving them
> have simply constructed the rule without including the "stop processing
> more rules" command.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Mark R Penn" <spamyourself@notme.con> wrote in message
>> No, not at 5 am. But of course I don't get to see what time you post, as
>> I see my local time only (it was 11.01 am). I have to assume that you
>> post when you feel up to it.
>>
>> Also, you assumed that I was the original poster, twice, and I wasn't.
>>
>> Given the context in which the original poster posted (MS's suggestions
>> form), I think his post was 100% clear, and that your reply was abrupt
>> ("Not true...........Your rule is not constructed correctly.").
>>
>> Like you say, give us a break - we're only asking questions.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Look at my first reply. 5 AM EST. Are you hitting on all 8 at 5 AM?
>>> The title was unclear. The post said absolutely nothing about Sent mail.
>>> Give me a break.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Mark R Penn" <spamyourself@notme.con> wrote in message

Outlook blocking attachments
I am running Outlook 2000 and when I recieve an email with a .bat or .exe extension it blocks the attachment. How is that turned off so the attachments can be delivered? Thanks, Dan Dan wrote: > I am running Outlook 2000 and when I recieve an email with > a .bat or .exe extension it blocks the attachment. How is > that turned off so the attachments can be delivered? > > Thanks, > Dan try here: http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.htm ...

move cell contents

Runtime Error when closing OUTLOOK 2k

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work