Outlook requires Messenger

Can anyone tell me why Outlook & Outlook Express now force Messenger to pop
up? I don't want to use Messenger.

The confusing thing is that it pops up with Outlook Express on my XP system
(which has Office 2003 installed), which is _exactly_ the same version of OE
as installed on my Win2K system (with Office XP). However it doesn't pop up
on Win2K

Thanks

- Brian Long

0
brian_long (12)

Just go to program files/messenger and rename msmsgs.exe to msmsgs.old.
Have not seen messenger since.

"Brian Long" <brian_long@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why Outlook & Outlook Express now force Messenger to
pop
> up? I don't want to use Messenger.
>
> The confusing thing is that it pops up with Outlook Express on my XP
system
> (which has Office 2003 installed), which is _exactly_ the same version of
OE
> as installed on my Win2K system (with Office XP). However it doesn't pop
up
> on Win2K
>
> Thanks
>
> - Brian Long

0
spamthis1 (29)
5/20/2004 7:32:06 PM
Thanks for the tip. I also found how to kill it in the registry at:
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/disabmes.htm (and kill the Outlook Express load-up
delay)

My interest really was in WHY? And why the same version acted differently on
my 2 different machines

Indeed the options dialog on the XP machine has an extra checkbox (despite
being the same version) saying something like Load Up Messenger

- Brian

0
brian_long (12)
5/20/2004 8:59:44 PM
Brian Long <brian_long@newsgroups.nospam> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why Outlook & Outlook Express now force Messenger
> to pop up? I don't want to use Messenger.

In Outlook, click Tools>Options>Other and uncheck "Enable the Person Names
Smart Tag".  In Outlook Express, click Tools>your messenger
service>Options>Preferences.  Uncheck "Run this program when Windows
starts".

This information is, of course, in the respective program's HELP.
--
Brian Tillman

0
Tillmabg (988)

Outlook 2003 won't open
Boy do I need help! After installing Outlook 2003 after removing Outlook XP, I cannot access Outlook 2003. I'm able to open it once, then close it, but cannot open it a second time. When I reboot, I get the option of opening in Safe Mode for Outlook 2003. It seems that Outlook is open in the background somewhere, but not able to be accessed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Look for third party applications like WinFax, ActiveSync, .etc software that try to integrate with Outlook. Many of these applications are no longer compatible (e.g. WinFax) or need upd...

Rules not being saved in Outlook 2003
When I try to set up a new rule in Outlook 2003 it does not get saved. I installed Office 2003 SP1 from the full .exe, which was supposed to fix this bug. Does anyone have any more information concern this issue? Dan ...

Outlook Laptop Synchronization Issues changing Data
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experience the same issue in regards to Outlook laptop Synchronizing with CRM 3.0 Recently I was preparing a brand new laptop for a user. I setup CRM for Laptop client and enabled it online. In the meantime the user was still using the old laptop with the CRM client installed as well. User was still using CRM while I prepared the new system for use of CRM in Outlook. The following day we noticed a lot of the Opportunities in CRM were reassigned for no apparent reason. It did show that the modification was completed by the user I was preparing the ...

Why can't I get the quick flag column in Outlook 2003?
I just installed Office 2003 and read the 'whats new' section of the manual. Here it says that there is a new quick flag function. But when I load Outlook 2003 there is no flag column nor can i get one as the check box for this option will not work. I tried the method suggested by help and this would not work. Any ideas?? Right click on the headers, choose Field Chooser and add Flag Status. "indiekitty_2001" wrote: > I just installed Office 2003 and read the 'whats new' section of the manual. > Here it says that there is a new quick flag function. But wh...

Microsoft Outlook 2003
Problem: I have just started to use a super fast PC that tries to quickly to log-into four separate email accounts via Broadband at my ISP, resulting in connect failures. If I individually log-in to each account, it is successful. Request: Can Outlook 2003 be configured to slow the process of connecting to my ISP, I thank you David. David, You can change the connection time out setting for each account by under account setting - advance. This would help if your accounts are trying to connect and have so long of trying just stops. Increasing the time allowed might help....

Excel & Outlook Personal Folders
Does anyone know if there is a way to search through a public folder in Outlook by using excel? The idea is that a spreadsheet can be made to show the number of files in public folders that meet certain criteria, e.g received on a monday. The public folder holds internal messages for the company I work for, and these are worked by different people dependant on the day they are received on site. All help will be gratefully received. Thanks. :confused: Shackdelta -- Shackdelta ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Shackdelta's Profile: http://www....

Outlook to Entourage Import

Wrong language in outlook 2003
Why are the inbox and other folder in a different language than the outlook 2003 client. We are using exchange 2003. Is it regional settings that decides in which language the inbox is shown in OL2003? Or what is happening? Tomppa To match the language with the client start Outlook with the /resetfoldernames switch. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New Mail Desktop Alert in Outlook 2003 ----- "Tomppa" <Tomppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

how to map fields for import files to outlook
how do i import an excel file into outlook so that the outlook file has the same field names as in the excel file? when i first create an outlook file with the field names matching those in the excel file and then proceed thru the file import process, when i get to the field mapping screen i dont see the outlook field names i just create and therefore can't map matching field names. instead i see what appear to be standard outlook field names like note color, priority, sensitivity. ...

List of email addresses from all email messages in outlook
Linked in, facebook, and a few other online services allow you to upload a comma delimited listing of email addresses to see if there are folks registered on the service who you know. I would like a program or add-in or utility search my outlook 2007 pst file and make a list of every email address it finds. These would not be from my contacts, or not just from contacts, but from the headers and body of my received and sent emails. I would think this would be a popular utility. Any idea if something like that exists, preferably free? By the way I did look at the lists of pr...

MS Outlook Reinstall
My Outlook got accidently deleted from my computer. It was installed from the factory but I've gone from XP to Vista and back to XP. I can't find it in the Recycle Bin or on my disks. How do I get this back? You install it from the Office/outlook cd's or from any recovery disks supplied with your PC. Since you cannot downgrade Vista to WinXP your installation of winxp would have cleared all data and files during the process, "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11105293-8ADB-40B7-9D98-6F1C0B234502@microsoft.com... > My Outlook...

Error: 800410A when trying to receive in Outlook 2002
I am using Windows XP; Outlook 2002 (XP) with Service Pack 3. I can send emails (using Adelphia cable for my ISP), but can't receive them. I get the error that the receiving POP server was found but the operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving POP server (error 800410A). I have turned off my firewall and virus scan (McAfee). I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook. I have deleted and re-set my Account settings. I have no large emails in my web-based email account. I can't even receive the Outlook test message. Adelphia can't figure it out (they told...

Can Excel2003 Read An Outlook Express6.0 Email?
Orders from a shopping cart are received by email using Outlook Express 6.0. All email orders have the same format: ------------ Sales Order Date and Time ----------- DELIVER TO: ...... ..... ..... Make payable to: ........ ......... .......... ORDERED ITEMS: 6 character product code: Product description product category Qty: 4 at $26.96 Can this email be read from Excel 2003 and get the product code and save it to cell A1 in Worksheet Order Items in Workbook Sales and get the 4 after Qty: and save it to cell B1 in Worksheet Order Items in Workbook Sales? Thanks! Steve ...

Mass Mailing to 700 email addresses using Outlook 2002 and Word 2002
1. I will be including attachments with the email. I need to know what method is the most secure - sending the format in HTML or in Text Format? And, is there any advantage to either one of them? And would both the attachment and the actual email need to be in the same format 2. I understand that by using a Distribution List, I have limitations set by my ISP on how many email addresses are in my Distribution List. Does Outlook 2003 also have limitations Also, if one of the addresses in the Distribution List is incorrect, will that one email be the only one that bounces back to me as undelive...

startup message for outlook 2000
How do you get rid of the message at the beginning of outlook 2000 which asks you to connect to server, offline access or cancel? How do you set it so that it just logs in every time? Tools | Services | highlight ms exchange | properties button. from memory at this point it is the first or second tab dialog. there is place where you can configure outlook's behaviour when first starting. (i want to say it is on the first tab labeled general.) "Don Siegelman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:c1cc01c43844$c8e06fe0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > How...

CDO and Outlook 2003
Does anybody know details of the new archives settings for Outlook 2003 and/or where I can find details for these? Specifically, I am trying to locate where the "Archive items in this folder using the default settings" and "Move old items to default archive folder". Apparently, the propid for specifying the archive file to use has also changed. Thanks for any info. Folder aging properties are kept in a hidden message in the folder. The hidden item has a message class of "IPC.MS.Outlook.AgingProperties". You would need to use CDO 1.21 or Extended MAPI or Re...

Open the blocked attachment in Outlook
Hi , is there any way to tell outlook not to block my attachment ??? coz , my friend just send me a copy of his home made programe , but the outlook just block it !!!! Jodern <Jodernyap@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi , is there any way to tell outlook not to block my > attachment ??? > > coz , my friend just send me a copy of his home made > programe , but the outlook just block it !!!! Asked and answered many, many times. Search is your friend. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

microsoft.public.outlook #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C731CB.30954700 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit 545465 ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C731CB.30954700 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html> <head> <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dus-ascii"> <meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 10 (filtered)"> <style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.Ms...

filtering messages in Outlook 2007
Just upgraded to Outlook 2007 from 2003 and was surprised that my filters, which direct messages to/from specific persons to designated folders, did not work. I have tried editing them and then running, and succeeded with one or two but not others. From the Help files and a book I consulted, I have the impression that filters may not work if you do not use an Exchange server, which I do not (this is personal work, not connected with a business). Because I am on a private community network rather than an ISP, I have to use a web-based email client (gmail), which I then have forwarded to Outloo...

Outlook Backup: ALl files, Rules, etc
If I use the Outlook Backup under the files menu will ALL the files and settigns associated with Outlook be backedup? For example will all my email rules be backedup. I am using a laptop and I am the only user. Dave <rjtechnology@gmail.com> wrote: > If I use the Outlook Backup under the files menu will ALL the files > and settigns associated with Outlook be backedup? Not all the files and settings, just the PST. > For example will all my email rules be backedup. > > I am using a laptop and I am the only user. Yes they will, because they're kept in the PST in...

Insert Picture in Outlook 2003 no longer working
I am using Outlook 2003. When attempting to use Insert | Picture in HTML mail I have suddenly started getting a blank untitled window instead of the Insert Picture dialog box. Repairing or removing and reinstalling Outlook 2003 doesn't help me restore sanity. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and better still what the cure is. Thanks, Graham "Graham J" <obucket@despammed.com> wrote in message news:%WvHi.7973$gZ.2194@newsfe7-win.ntli.net... >I am using Outlook 2003. When attempting to use Insert | Picture in HTML >mail I have suddenly started...

Error clicking on e-mail address in IE and sending via Outlook
I have several Windows XP SP2 /Office 2003 SP2 workstations that are unable to click on e-mail addresses on a WEB page in Internet Explorer for example. What should happen is a new Message window should pop open and I can send the e-mail just fine. Instead, however, we get the following error: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. The operation failed. An object could not be found." We have done the following: 1. Verified the web pages are fine - as it works fine from a majority of the machines. This is only an issue on about 10 workstations. 2. Verified the "Micro...

How do I get my "CONTACTS" info into my "OUTLOOK Address Bool"?
I have XP and Office Professional, Outlook 2002 sp2. I have imported an old pre-pda file into contacts and need to get that information into the outlook adress book. but I can not even make a single entry into the OAB. Help! Right click on your contacts folder, go to properties, outlook address book, and tick the box. The OAB isn't an object, it's just a view of your contacts folder(s). Nick wrote: > I have XP and Office Professional, Outlook 2002 sp2. I > have imported an old pre-pda file into contacts and need > to get that information into the outlook adress book. b...

outlook won't let me delete file out of outbox/won't send it either
Diana <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Asked and answered many times. Search this newsgroup for "outbox" and "delete". You'll find the many other times this question has been answered. -- Brian Tillman ...

outlook 2002 #2
I was reading in the new Consumer Reports about spam. It said to disable the preview pane to prevent the spam from reporting to its sender that you received it. I am using the preview pane in Outlook 2002 is this information correct? Sammy Castagna Read receipt request is something that gets generated by the client when you read a message. I believe if you select the check box that prevents the preview pane from marking the message as read, then it will prevent the read receipt request from being generated. "Sammy Castagna" <sammycastagna@hotmail.com> wrote in message n...