Outlook Recall Msg Process

Problem:

A user "recalls" an email message previously sent to four
individuals. One recall request did not retrieve the
message in a timely manner. The original message (OM) and
recall message were in the recipient's mailbox. If the
recipient opened the original message before opening the
Recall Message (RM) Request, then they would be able to
read the message. If the recipient opened the Recall
Request first, the recall request AND the original message
disappeared from mailbox.

TechNet Information:

It appears Message Recall will not be successful if:

- The recipient is not using Outlook.
- The recipient is not logged on to the mail service
provider.
- The message has been moved from the Inbox.
- The message has been read. This includes viewing the
message with the Preview
     Pane so that the message is flagged as Read.

Actions/Observations:

1. I sent/recalled several messages to Maggie Crosswhite.
Recall process appears to when the server is not busy
processing inbound traffic. Some recalls (during "open"
mailbox test) seemed to complete successfully within
seconds, while others took 10-15 minutes. What determines
recall time/interval of message?

2. Several recall tests failed because the original
message (OM) and recall message (RM) were delivered to
recipient's mailbox, but if the recipient opened the OM
first they were able to view message contents. If the
recipient click on the RM first, the  RM and the OM
disappeared from mailbox. Why does RM and OM disappearing
as soon as RM sent to recipient? Why not at other times?

0
fudgeja (1)

Sorry for brevity, but honestly, all I can tell you is that message recall
simply doesn't work reliably and in my opinion is not worth worrying about -
don't use it. :-(

John Fudge wrote:
> Problem:
>
> A user "recalls" an email message previously sent to four
> individuals. One recall request did not retrieve the
> message in a timely manner. The original message (OM) and
> recall message were in the recipient's mailbox. If the
> recipient opened the original message before opening the
> Recall Message (RM) Request, then they would be able to
> read the message. If the recipient opened the Recall
> Request first, the recall request AND the original message
> disappeared from mailbox.
>
> TechNet Information:
>
> It appears Message Recall will not be successful if:
>
> - The recipient is not using Outlook.
> - The recipient is not logged on to the mail service
> provider.
> - The message has been moved from the Inbox.
> - The message has been read. This includes viewing the
> message with the Preview
>      Pane so that the message is flagged as Read.
>
> Actions/Observations:
>
> 1. I sent/recalled several messages to Maggie Crosswhite.
> Recall process appears to when the server is not busy
> processing inbound traffic. Some recalls (during "open"
> mailbox test) seemed to complete successfully within
> seconds, while others took 10-15 minutes. What determines
> recall time/interval of message?
>
> 2. Several recall tests failed because the original
> message (OM) and recall message (RM) were delivered to
> recipient's mailbox, but if the recipient opened the OM
> first they were able to view message contents. If the
> recipient click on the RM first, the  RM and the OM
> disappeared from mailbox. Why does RM and OM disappearing
> as soon as RM sent to recipient? Why not at other times?

0
lanwench (7567)

Limitation of Outlook Pesonal Folder
Hi Guys, Can you give me a reference where I can find information about limitation of personal Folder of MS Outlook? If its possible that the information was stated the maximum size (GB?) Thanks, Mark Here is a link to an article that talks about the Personal Folder file size limitation for Oultook 97-2002, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;296088. Outlook 2003 has a much larger limitation and here is a link to an article that discusses its limitations, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;830336. I hope this information is helpful. Robe...

Import vCard file to Outlook #3
I have Office 2007/Outlook on Vista. I want to import a vCard file of contacts which has been exported from jPilot on Linux. When I try it only imports the first contact, not the entire file of contacts. Questions: -Can Office 2007/Outlook on Vista import vCard version 3.0 format, or only the earlier version 2.1 format? (I can use either). -Can Office 2007/Outlook on Vista import a file of multiple vCards? Can it import a set of individual vCards in a folder? In any case, how do I get a bunch of vCards into Outlook? gus <gus_zernial@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have Office 2007/Outlook ...

Outlook 2000 CPU hog
Hope one of the gurus can help me out here. Today all of the sudden I open Outlook and notice that my CPU usage is constantly pegged at 100% and stays there until I close Outlook. Is there a fix for this? TIA. Outlook 2000 SP-3 Windows XP SP2 1.6G Pentium 4 1.5G mem -- marx404 _________________ Oh, I should have checked with Slipstick first. I assume that this is the solution? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1E252CCF-452A-4313-A402-B50C4405580A&displaylang=en -- marx404 _________________ "marx404" <404@404.com> wrote in message news:...

Exchange 2003 ESM and Outlook 2003 coexistance on the same client
Is there any convenient way to have Exchange 2003 ESM and Outlook 2003 coexist on the same client. I would like to install ESM on my customer service tech's machines but, as you may know, Exchange and outlook use the same mapi32.dll file. I have found a registry hack that will keep Exchange's mapping the the dll and not let Outlook mapi32.dll checking function overwrite it but it seems to break down every so ofter. For some reason it will be working fine for months, then ESM stops working and I need to reinstall again (possible due to Outlook security updates). Have any of you ...

Outlook Web Access attachment problem
We have a program that will generate a .snp file and then email it to whatever recipient it needs to go to. If they receive the email in Outlook it will allow them to open the file properly with the Snapshot viewer. However, if they go to the same email in OWA and try to save the attachment, it attempts to save it as an .mdb file. Why would OWA ignore the original extension and try to give it a different one? "Joe Giddings" <j_nospam_giddings@thehammocksource.com> wrote in news:jI9gd.11726$ta5.6952@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net: > We have a program that will genera...

Getting a script error in Outlook 2003 after uninstalling CRM 1.2
I uninstalled the Outlook CRM client from my computer and now whenever I try and complete a task in Outlook the script debugger opens and then gives me an error saying ActiveX could not open object, crmaddin.UIutil Line No2. Any ideas. I do not see any CRM addin in the adin manager Bryan ...

Outlook contacts #16
When I am creating a new email and I click on the "to" box - a list of my contacts pops up. Many of the contacts are duplicated - the reason being that one is for an e-mail address and the other is a fax number. If I try to find out which one I have, by going to "properties" it opens the contact's file giving me all of their info. How can I get only the e-mails for my contacts in this list? And what if the contact has more than one email address? Thanks in advance... Geoffrey Ungar <dejugs@hotmail.com> wrote: > When I am creating a new email and I click...

Unattend configure Send/Receive Group / PRF file -Outlook XP
Hi, Have to rollout 4000 laptops with Offline Storage enabled. I want to automatically configure outlook to: - use OST file - Synchronize when logging on and off - Download and sync. the general address book I have made a PRF file (using CIW) that creates OST file...so far so good... But I can't unattend set the option to sync when logging on and off. It seems this setting is stored in an SRS file in the users profile!! Second item, default the first address book in the list is synchronised. Is there a way to auto configure Outlook XP to sync OST fiel when logging on and off, (ins...

outlook 2003 inbox format
How can I eliminate the "Today", "Yesterday", "Last Week", etc? I much prefer the look of Outlook 2000. Thank you View > Arrange By > Show in groups "Trng Administrator" <Trng Administrator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49639DAB-7738-4951-B6AC-6A35AD2862FD@microsoft.com... > How can I eliminate the "Today", "Yesterday", "Last Week", etc? I much > prefer the look of Outlook 2000. > > Thank you neo [mvp outlook] wrote: > View > Arrange By > Show in groups That...

Can't send e-mails from Outlook 2003 after SP1
After installing service pack SP1 for Office 2003, I can't send e-mails anymore. They are stuck in the outbox folder. The error message states that the connection to the server was interrupted. I did not change any settings and checking them confirms that everything is as it should be. Did anyone else experience the same issue and how did you resolve it? Thanks for your help Matthias See if you can manually move those messages from your Outbox and then check all your settings again. "Mattliusa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cb7401c48a5...

Outlook Still Running
I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make sure this does not happen? Thanks for your help -- Neil Remove ABCD from Email address to reply <neil154ABCD@earthlink.net> wrote: > I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit > out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still > running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make > sure this does not happ...

Removal of Outlook 2000 from XP home Help
I am attempting to remove an unauthorized version of Office 2K from a Win XP home computer. The Removal went fairly normal except that now when accessing any E-Mail client, the Windows installer is attemtping to install something from the Win 2K premium disk. Is there a Registery entry causing this problem? Is there a way to stop this from happening? do you know what it's installing and does it fix it if you give it the disk? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: ht...

Contact list not recognized as an address book in outlook email
I installed Outlook 2007 on my computer and imported my addresses from my other computer's Outlook file with excel. The contact list shows all the addresses but I can not access the contact list when I try to send an email. The address book drop down menu does not show anything. I tried to do the "properties" on the contact file, selected the tab "Outlook Address Book" and I am not allowed to check the box to "Show this folder as an address book". I am hoping someone can help me get this resolved. Thank you in advance If you have Contacts in...

Outlook 2002 and IMAP
Outlook Express automatically places the sent message into the IMAP folder on the remote server. This is OK. Outlook 2002 does not seem to do that and instead posts it into the Sent Items in the local personal folders. Not good when one is out of the office and the Pocket PC cannot access "sent" mail on the IMAP server. Any clues ? There does not seem an easy way to specify the default folder for storing sent mail when IMAP is used. LH In message <<042101c3a3e7$e5eea120$a401280a@phx.gbl>> "Louis Hissink" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> did ...

Outlook 2003 #217
When my hard disk (W2K) crashed I had saved my .pst file on another partition. When I re-installed Outlook 2003, applied the SP1a patch, and setup me email, etc. I know have 3 choices of contracts to choose from, from the dropdown box. The first 2 give an error, when I type in a name to send an email to, where as the 3rd choice (and they are all named contacts), allows me to see my list of contact email addresses. How can I correct this? I would like to clean this up by just having one Contact choice, whereas the list of my contacts would appear when I choose send mail to option. ...

How do I export .dba calendar files from a Palm Treo to Outlook?
Chapura won't do it. Something about a problem with calendar files. ...

Outlook #175
At one time I could send mail "on behalf of..." However, now I can't remember how to do that. Nvermind - I figured it out. >-----Original Message----- >At one time I could send mail "on behalf of..." However, >now I can't remember how to do that. >. > ...

Outlook Security Settings #2
I am trying to use Outlook security settings. I have installed the settings precisely as described on the MS site and the settings work perfectly for me and one or two others but not for the rest of my defined group. We are using Exchange 2003, Outlook 2003 and Outlook XP. I cannot find any debugging or logging info anywhere and am a little stuck as to what to do next. Can anyone offer any ideas??? jON ...

Outlook Express blocking some attachments
My boss is sending me perfectly safe attachments, usually graphics, and Express blocks them so I can't open while letting through other attachments in the same email. What can I do to fix this? Thanks! Tools->Options->Security. I have lost count, but this must be close the 100,000th repeat of the same question. Next time, try google. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find so...

Outlook Express address bk. from Mac to Outlook PC ?? Help
I am trying to export the address bk from my Outlook Express (Mac OS 9.2) to a form that my Outlook PC (Windows XP) can read and use. Any thoughts on what procedure to follow. When I export from the Mac it just saves it as a "Simple text" file - no much good for what I want to do. Any thoughts??? ...

Outlook Resolution
Bet you can't fix this. When I open Outlook the resolution changes to 480x680 from 1024x728 when I exit it returns to normal resolution: What I have tried so far: Made sure under compatibility mode 480x680 was not selected Outlook repair - complete. Uninstall/re-install rebuild outlook profile remove registry entries What I can do: open outlook normally on a different user account without the resolution changes to my screen. I do not want to re-build a new profile for this end user. This problem is driving me nuts... -- --jack You're probably right that we can't fix it,...

Outlook 2003 #208
While in Outlook 2003, I would like my auto select use my contact list as a default address book. My goal is to use the auto complete (auto suggest) when typing in address's etc. I have the auto select checked in the preferences although nothing comes up or auto fills the name and email etc. Thanks. TEC <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > While in Outlook 2003, I would like my auto select use my > contact list as a default address book. My goal is to use > the auto complete (auto suggest) when typing in > address's etc. I have the auto select c...

Error Msg.
Can anyone decipher this error message: DVZMSGR caused an invalid page fault in module MSVCRT.DLL at 0167:78001296. Registers: EAX=00650078 CS=0167 EIP=78001296 EFLGS=00010202 EBX=0075000c SS=016f ESP=0063f728 EBP=0063f748 ECX=0064fc40 DS=016f ESI=0000003f FS=393f EDX=00650448 ES=016f EDI=0000003f GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 89 4c 11 fc 8b 75 f0 03 d1 8d 4e 01 89 0a 89 4c Stack dump: 00000000 00000040 780013d0 816d0238 00000050 006503c0 0064fc40 00000001 0063f77c 7800145c 0075000c 00000000 ffffffff 780013d0 bff7b9c5 816d0204 ...

outlook 2000 running under windows xp
Having recently received automatic updates for windows xp, outlook 2000 hangs on sending/receiving emails, is this a known problem ? I'm not aware of problems. Do you get any error messages? I'd try deleting the *.srs file. It's located at %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlo...

inter process comunication
Hi, I need to comunicate between two process in the same computer (no with network) in the fastest way to send messages and data, i dond whant to use shared memory!, what are the best ways to do that??? For data ? And for messages? Can you send me some code? Thanks On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:44:12 +0200, "Dave" <dbg@012.net.il> wrote: >Hi, >I need to comunicate between two process in the same computer (no with >network) in the fastest way to send messages and data, i dond whant to use >shared memory!, what are the best ways to do that??? >For data ? >And for m...