Outlook PST question

Hi,
I have a user (Boss, actually) and he wants to take his emails home on a CD.
(You know what they're like...)
The setup here is this :
Boss is on a XP laptop PC in the office.
Mail server is Exchange, but only internal. Not accesible from outside. (We
plan to add MX in May.) External mail is grabbed from the ISP by a POP mail
grabber.
Outlook account on PC is using cache.

(I think I'm right in thinking that if he took his laptop home he would
still find his mails on it.
Because they're synchronised in an OST ? I think, never tried that.)

The only thing I can see him doing is an archive of all his mails into a
PST.
Copy the PST onto a CD and take it home.
But, if I remember correctly, a PST has to be on a Read/Write media for
Outlook to be able to open it.
So then he would have to copy the PST to his hard drive.

Am I right / wrong /partly ?
TIA

Bazwaz

0
Bazwaz (5)

Would not recommend putting them onto a CD - just not an efficient way to do
it - at minimum as you stated the .ost file (offline setup) can be used and
he can have his email when he goes home and it will synch when he is
reconnected to the server. There is no need to move to pst file since you
can setup to work offline.

Also check out the site below for more options.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm

--
Regards,

Francine Otterson
President, San Diego Outlook User Group
MVP - Microsoft Outlook

"Bazwaz" <Bazwaz@Bazwaz.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a user (Boss, actually) and he wants to take his emails home on a
> CD. (You know what they're like...)
> The setup here is this :
> Boss is on a XP laptop PC in the office.
> Mail server is Exchange, but only internal. Not accesible from outside.
> (We plan to add MX in May.) External mail is grabbed from the ISP by a POP
> mail grabber.
> Outlook account on PC is using cache.
>
> (I think I'm right in thinking that if he took his laptop home he would
> still find his mails on it.
> Because they're synchronised in an OST ? I think, never tried that.)
>
> The only thing I can see him doing is an archive of all his mails into a
> PST.
> Copy the PST onto a CD and take it home.
> But, if I remember correctly, a PST has to be on a Read/Write media for
> Outlook to be able to open it.
> So then he would have to copy the PST to his hard drive.
>
> Am I right / wrong /partly ?
> TIA
>
> Bazwaz

0
outlook3306 (110)
4/13/2006 1:58:31 PM
Bazwaz <Bazwaz@Bazwaz.net> wrote:

> I have a user (Boss, actually) and he wants to take his emails home
> on a CD. (You know what they're like...)
> The setup here is this :
> Boss is on a XP laptop PC in the office.
> Mail server is Exchange, but only internal. Not accesible from
> outside. (We plan to add MX in May.) External mail is grabbed from
> the ISP by a POP mail grabber.
> Outlook account on PC is using cache.
>
> (I think I'm right in thinking that if he took his laptop home he
> would still find his mails on it.
> Because they're synchronised in an OST ? I think, never tried that.)

If you are using Cached Exchange mode, this is correct.  He should be able
to work offline and have full functionality.

> The only thing I can see him doing is an archive of all his mails
> into a PST.

No.  Archives are not suited to this purpose.

> Copy the PST onto a CD and take it home.
> But, if I remember correctly, a PST has to be on a Read/Write media
> for Outlook to be able to open it.
> So then he would have to copy the PST to his hard drive.

If he wants his Exchange data at home without taking the laptop, he can
create a new PST (File>New>Outlook Data File) and copy the contents of his
Exchange mailbox to that PST.  He can then close Outlook and copy that PST
and his other PST to the CD and take them home.  Outlook MUST be closed when
the CD is burned.

At home he can, as you surmise, copy the PSTs to his hard drive, taking care
not to overwrite any existing PST, remove the read-only attribute from those
PST, start Outlook, and then open them with File>Open>Outlook Data File.
Keep in mind also that if the version of Outlook at work is Outlook 2003 but
Outlook at home is Outlook 2002 or earlier, he must take care to create an
Outlook 97-2002 format PST at work or the home Outlook won't be able to read
it.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/13/2006 1:59:18 PM
Gotcha Brian,
Didn't quite understand this bit :
"No.  Archives are not suited to this purpose"
is there a difference between an archive and a PST ?

I think the whole idea is a bit weird, but he's the New Boss.
I think he doesn't want to carry the laptop home.
But as he will be away on vacation, he will be able to read up on old long
mails that the Old Boss sent him.
They never want to tell you why they have these weird schemes.
"Being the Commander requires a certain amount of mystery."
Gen. de Gaulle.

"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
uiDG3JwXGHA.4388@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Bazwaz <Bazwaz@Bazwaz.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a user (Boss, actually) and he wants to take his emails home
>> on a CD. (You know what they're like...)
>> The setup here is this :
>> Boss is on a XP laptop PC in the office.
>> Mail server is Exchange, but only internal. Not accesible from
>> outside. (We plan to add MX in May.) External mail is grabbed from
>> the ISP by a POP mail grabber.
>> Outlook account on PC is using cache.
>>
>> (I think I'm right in thinking that if he took his laptop home he
>> would still find his mails on it.
>> Because they're synchronised in an OST ? I think, never tried that.)
>
> If you are using Cached Exchange mode, this is correct.  He should be able
> to work offline and have full functionality.
>
>> The only thing I can see him doing is an archive of all his mails
>> into a PST.
>
> No.  Archives are not suited to this purpose.
>
>> Copy the PST onto a CD and take it home.
>> But, if I remember correctly, a PST has to be on a Read/Write media
>> for Outlook to be able to open it.
>> So then he would have to copy the PST to his hard drive.
>
> If he wants his Exchange data at home without taking the laptop, he can
> create a new PST (File>New>Outlook Data File) and copy the contents of his
> Exchange mailbox to that PST.  He can then close Outlook and copy that PST
> and his other PST to the CD and take them home.  Outlook MUST be closed
> when the CD is burned.
>
> At home he can, as you surmise, copy the PSTs to his hard drive, taking
> care not to overwrite any existing PST, remove the read-only attribute
> from those PST, start Outlook, and then open them with File>Open>Outlook
> Data File. Keep in mind also that if the version of Outlook at work is
> Outlook 2003 but Outlook at home is Outlook 2002 or earlier, he must take
> care to create an Outlook 97-2002 format PST at work or the home Outlook
> won't be able to read it.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Bazwaz (5)
4/13/2006 2:10:00 PM
Hi Brian,
I'll reformaulate my question

I said :
"The only thing I can see him doing is an archive of all his mails
into a PST."

And you replied :

Then you said :
"If he wants his Exchange data at home without taking the laptop, he can
 create a new PST (File>New>Outlook Data File) and copy the contents of his
 Exchange mailbox to that PST."

 OK, I can see that creating an archive is rather more laborious and that
 creating a new empty file is a more straighforward method, and in future I
shall
 probably adopt your method.
 But - just for curiosity's sake - would there be any difference in the end
result between the two PSTs ??

 TIA
 Bazwaz

0
Bazwaz (5)
4/13/2006 2:33:56 PM
Bazwaz <Bazwaz@Bazwaz.net> wrote:

> Didn't quite understand this bit :
> "No.  Archives are not suited to this purpose"
> is there a difference between an archive and a PST ?

An archive is a PST but it is not an image of a PST in use.  Instead it
contains old data that have been removed from an active PST so as to keep
the original PST more manageable.  You don't back up or duplicate a PST
using archive functions.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/13/2006 6:34:19 PM
Bazwaz <Bazwaz@Bazwaz.net> wrote:

> I'll reformaulate my question
>
> I said :
> "The only thing I can see him doing is an archive of all his mails
> into a PST."
>
> And you replied :
> "No.  Archives are not suited to this purpose."

In an OUtlook context, "archive" has a particular meaning.  It is a way of
keeping the contents of an active PST manageable by removing older items,
storing them in a second PST that is not actively open but available for
reference if you need to access the older data.

> Then you said :
> "If he wants his Exchange data at home without taking the laptop, he
> can create a new PST (File>New>Outlook Data File) and copy the
> contents of his Exchange mailbox to that PST."
>

> OK, I can see that creating an archive is rather more laborious and
> that creating a new empty file is a more straighforward method, and
> in future I shall
> probably adopt your method.
> But - just for curiosity's sake - would there be any difference in
> the end result between the two PSTs ??

An archive is not a mirror image of the active PST.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

CRM address book in Outlook

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Question -Problem

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

question on os authenticity
I purchased a laptop with Windows 2000 preinstalled from a dealer who claims to be a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher. There was no COA attached to the body of the computer and he claims that he was not required to because he owns the license to it, not me. Is this correct? -- julesrh77 Good question but not for this community. You need to post your question in a Windows community. But, I think he's wrong and you should call Microsoft directly to ask them. You can find their phone number by going to www.microsoft.com. -- Charles Allen, MVP "julesrh77" wrote: > ...

Pivot Table Question #5

Document Template question
It's legal for a document to have multiple views into it's data, but when CMultiDocTemplate is created, it is only passed one runtime view class. How are multiple views handled in the document template context? Should all views of your document be derived from the class passed to CMultiDocTemplate? This is confusing me because MDI AppWizard did the work of setting up a document view class for me, but now I'm just using a child window with an imbedded static splitter window to show two different views of my document, and these views have nothing to do with CMyProjectView that...

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

outlook 2007 e-mail

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook