Outlook plugin for saving mails by dragging

Hi all,
Our Legal team want some way of saving all emails related to a project
into a common folder. We use microsoft exchange but our exchange
admins will not allow use of public folders.
The only way i can see around it is for the staff to setup a folders
in the shared secure file area and save the emails they want into
these. However, while the idea sounds perfect to them, they aren't
happy with idea of saving individual emails to the folder one at a
time, instead they would prefer some way of dragging them to the
folder.

I was wondering if anyone knew of an Outlook plugin or any other
software that would make this easier. I was thinking it might be
something that allows you to add windows explorer folder trees to the
outlook folders list, that way users can simply select the emails and
drag the mails to the folder, as if they were moving it to any of
their outlook folders.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Chris

there are addins that will save to the drive for you but they are rules
based. What happens when you select several and drop them in the file system
yourself? open windows explorer to the folder in part of the screen and
outlook in the other part of the screen and drag.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Chris Cooper" <chrisjcoops@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Our Legal team want some way of saving all emails related to a project
> into a common folder. We use microsoft exchange but our exchange
> admins will not allow use of public folders.
> The only way i can see around it is for the staff to setup a folders
> in the shared secure file area and save the emails they want into
> these. However, while the idea sounds perfect to them, they aren't
> happy with idea of saving individual emails to the folder one at a
> time, instead they would prefer some way of dragging them to the
> folder.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew of an Outlook plugin or any other
> software that would make this easier. I was thinking it might be
> something that allows you to add windows explorer folder trees to the
> outlook folders list, that way users can simply select the emails and
> drag the mails to the folder, as if they were moving it to any of
> their outlook folders.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

0
outlookmvp (5838)
2/20/2007 1:17:57 PM
Another idea may be to set up a new exchange mailbox and call it
Public
Make a tree structure there, give everyone access and add it to the
outlook profile of the user (exchange, advanced properties)

On 20 feb, 11:59, "Chris Cooper" <chrisjco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Our Legal team want some way of saving all emails related to a project
> into a common folder. We use microsoft exchange but our exchange
> admins will not allow use ofpublicfolders.
> The only way i can see around it is for the staff to setup afolders
> in the shared secure file area and save the emails they want into
> these. However, while the idea sounds perfect to them, they aren't
> happy with idea of saving individual emails to the folder one at a
> time, instead they would prefer some way of dragging them to the
> folder.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew of an Outlook plugin or any other
> software that would make this easier. I was thinking it might be
> something that allows you to add windows explorer folder trees to the
> outlookfolderslist, that way users can simply select the emails and
> drag the mails to the folder, as if they were moving it to any of
> their outlookfolders.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

0
opusflow (2)
2/20/2007 1:25:12 PM
I wasn't aware that you could drag it like that, indeed I didn't
actually try until I read your suggestion.
That's certainly a possibility, although the one problem is it
actually creates a copy of the mail, rather than moving it to that
location, although they can then remove the email from their mailbox.

I'll try that one out with them,
thanks very much Diane.
Chris

On 20 Feb, 13:17, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
> there are addins that will save to the drive for you but they are rules
> based. What happens when you select several and drop them in the file system
> yourself? open windows explorer to the folder in part of the screen and
> outlook in the other part of the screen and drag.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Need Help with Common Tasks?http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> Outlook 2007:http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> "Chris Cooper" <chrisjco...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi all,
> > Our Legal team want some way of saving all emails related to a project
> > into a common folder. We use microsoft exchange but our exchange
> > admins will not allow use of public folders.
> > The only way i can see around it is for the staff to setup a folders
> > in the shared secure file area and save the emails they want into
> > these. However, while the idea sounds perfect to them, they aren't
> > happy with idea of saving individual emails to the folder one at a
> > time, instead they would prefer some way of dragging them to the
> > folder.
>
> > I was wondering if anyone knew of an Outlook plugin or any other
> > software that would make this easier. I was thinking it might be
> > something that allows you to add windows explorer folder trees to the
> > outlook folders list, that way users can simply select the emails and
> > drag the mails to the folder, as if they were moving it to any of
> > their outlook folders.
>
> > Any ideas anyone?
>
> > Thanks
> > Chris- Hide quoted text -

That too would be a great idea, but the only limit on that would be
the size of the mailbox. Again one of the restrictions imposed by ouur
Exchange admins is a 50MB limit to all mailboxes.
Although they would probably be more likely to increase a single
mailbox than implement shared folders.

Thanks for the suggestion

Chris Cooper wrote:

> That too would be a great idea, but the only limit on that would be
> the size of the mailbox. Again one of the restrictions imposed by ouur
> Exchange admins is a 50MB limit to all mailboxes.
> Although they would probably be more likely to increase a single
> mailbox than implement shared folders.

<sigh> the IT dept is there to serve the company, NOT the other way round.
Just get someone with enough clout to TELL them what you want.....
0
gbplinux (1141)

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

cannot open hyper links in outlook

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

outlook 97 and express email problems

Save as .doc
In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? REBeyer wrote: > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? Not that I know of. You can save as .txt, open in Word, and save as a Word doc, though. "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote: > REBeyer wrote: > > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? > > Not that I know of. You can save as ...

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

OE autodelete OLD mail

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...

outlook 2007 e-mail