outlook not working

One of our NT4 workstations has lost the Internet mail
service properties for outlook.  The same property
settings entered into Outlook Express are fine and send
and receive.  On starting Outlook and loading the relevant
profile I get the error message "internet email service
not installed properly. Reinstall Outlook and
specify 'corporate or workgroup mail service'".  On
checking services the mail 'properties' button gives the
error message 'the action could not be completed'.  The
rest of the system functions fine and is stable all-round
Internet is working fine on IE6

I have
# Tried to create new profile but the same happens (it
won't let me "create an email account", the system just
hangs)
# Completely uninstalled all of Office2000
# Cleaned the registry
# Reinstalled Office2000 with the station disconnected
from the server
# Replaced msfs32.dll
# Replaced mapi32.dll
# Started system in VGA mode

0
adrianw (3)

Sorry I missed some of the text when I copied and pasted,
the rest should read:

# Run Symantec AV an removed both Klez and NetskyP which
somehow evaded the AV system
# Run ad-aware and removed mal-ware from the registry and
file system

Any suggestions would be gratefully received, Thanks Adrian

0
adrianw (3)
5/27/2004 8:31:41 AM
Does it work when you log on with a different user on that workstation?

--
Roady [MVP]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Setting Permissions on a Mailbox

-----
"adrian" <adrianw@unigro.co.uk> wrote in message
> Sorry I missed some of the text when I copied and pasted,
> the rest should read:
>
> # Run Symantec AV an removed both Klez and NetskyP which
> somehow evaded the AV system
> # Run ad-aware and removed mal-ware from the registry and
> file system
>
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received, Thanks Adrian

0
Roady
5/27/2004 10:06:11 AM
Pardon me for cutting in, but I am having a very similiar
problem with Outlook 98 and Windows NT 4.0 workstation.
Outlook suddenly stopped working gets an "unexpected
error when opening" or if I get it open, it immediately
closes with a error with the outlook.exe file message.

What got my curiosity is if I login as another user, and
create the exact same mail profile as my problem user
everything works fine.  (I tried creating a new profile
as the same users, but that didn't work either, the error
remianed.)  That's what caught my atttention, and I
haven't been able to correct the affected user at this
time.

Curious if this is related, and my apologies for cutting
in.  TB

No problem :-)

I think your problem will be solved when you rename outcmd.dat to
outcmd.old. This will completely reset the Toolbar. If this file is corrupt
Outlook cannot start.

If this doesn't solve it can you tell me what exactly is being logged to the
Event Viewer regarding this?

--

"TimmyB" <lrgamerboss@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Pardon me for cutting in, but I am having a very similiar
> problem with Outlook 98 and Windows NT 4.0 workstation.
> Outlook suddenly stopped working gets an "unexpected
> error when opening" or if I get it open, it immediately
> closes with a error with the outlook.exe file message.
>
> What got my curiosity is if I login as another user, and
> create the exact same mail profile as my problem user
> everything works fine.  (I tried creating a new profile
> as the same users, but that didn't work either, the error
> remianed.)  That's what caught my atttention, and I
> haven't been able to correct the affected user at this
> time.
>
> Curious if this is related, and my apologies for cutting
> in.  TB

0
Roady
5/27/2004 2:09:00 PM
Renaming the file did the trick.  Thank you, thank you,
thank you!

0
anonymous (74722)
5/27/2004 3:07:38 PM
You're welcome! :-)

--
Roady [MVP]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Creating Signatures

-----
"TimmyB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Renaming the file did the trick.  Thank you, thank you,
> thank you!

0
Roady

Stationaries in Outlook
Does anyone know how to create templates in Outlook??? Like a newsticker you want to fill with different information every week. Thanks!!! (this used to be very simple in Lotus Notes..) Hi, It seems that there are many ways to create templates in Outlook. The simplest one, in my view : 1. Create a message, in any format you like (plain text, RTF, HTML), add all elements you like 2. Save it as an OFT file 3. Go in the file explorer, drag the file and drop it on your Outlook bar 4. Every time you click on this shortcut in the Outlook bar, it creates an instance of the template. Frederic &q...

Outlook 2003 News

excel product key is not working
i'm trying to upgrade my excel from 2000 to 2002 but when the installer prompted me to enter the product key. i input the product key but it's not accepted. ...

Removing multiple users from Outlook

Outlook plug in install
I currently have SQL Server installed on my local pc for some other task. In the install of Outlook plugin for CRM it wants to install MSDE is this going to conflict with my SQL 2000 instance? Joe Thomas wrote: > I currently have SQL Server installed on my local pc for > some other task. In the install of Outlook plugin for CRM > it wants to install MSDE is this going to conflict with > my SQL 2000 instance? Yes it will conflict. Microsoft will not support sales for Outlook if you do this and they strongly recommend not to install sales for Outlook if you already have SQL ins...

work 05-30-07

Outlook Send/Receive mail SLOW

Attachments in Outlook 98
Hi there, my Organisation are using Exchange 5.5 SP4 and the client is Outlook 98. A mail is sent from an external source into our Organisation to 10 people. The mail has an XLS attached. For some reason 9 of the recipients get the attachment but the last one has no attachment and no reference to it in the mail she receives. I've checked all the Outlook settings I can think of, but am puzzled as to why this happens - checking the imc data from our Exchange I see that the correct RFC headers are present and that the user has the same reference as all the others in the header. Anyone any ide...

Outlook 2003 #79

Help Required

Outlook Hangs Reading Messages

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2

Error in Outlook Today

outlook 2k2 problem

Replying to an Outlook e-mail

Multiple Simultaneous Outlook Sessions

Viewing Active Tasks in the Outlook Today View
I really like the Outlook Today view, as it lists upcoming appointments, emails, tasks, etc. However, I can not get it to show my active tasks that have started but are due at a later time (not today). Outlook today will show my active tasks that are due today, but it just won't show tasks that, for example, are due tomorrow. This is bothersome because I want it to show all active tasks, and not just ones that are due today. Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated! There are a couple of options associated with Task showing and sorting, have you checked via the customize...

Ctrl+D not working on outlook messages

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003

PDA-Outlook 2003

Outlook Client #3

Outlook Rule to Forward with Secure Delivery
I need to automatically forward messages to an outside vendor with secure delivery. I'd like to set up a rule to do this for me, but I'm not finding away to be able to forward the message using secure delivery. Can you please tell me how to do this? Thank you Chris ChrisH <ChrisH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to automatically forward messages to an outside vendor with > secure delivery. I'd like to set up a rule to do this for me, but > I'm not finding away to be able to forward the message using secure > delivery. Can you please tell me...