Outlook Newsgroups #3

Question?
Why has Outlook (not Express) always asked in the past if it would like
to be the Default News Reader, I believe it has never been able to do
this function.
Why is it that you have to go to a lower type email program to read
Newsgroups? I will never use Express and would love to remove it from my
system. I currenty use Mozilla Thunderbird to read Newsgroups.
Does anyone know why Micrsoft refuses to add Newsgroup options to their
full Outlook program?

Thanks

The folks here are not Microsoft employees, so your
suggestion here is for naught. Try:

anonymous (74722)
11/11/2004 4:21:24 PM
Dennis Delorme <solutions@qubit.ca> wrote:

> Why has Outlook (not Express) always asked in the past if it would
> like to be the Default News Reader, I believe it has never been able
> to do this function.

By asking this question and receiving an answer, Outlook was able to
determine whether or not it should register Outlook Express utilizing the
/outnews switch, which reskins Outlook Express as the "Microsoft Outlook
Newsreader".

> Why is it that you have to go to a lower type email program to read
> Newsgroups?

I don't consider OE to be a "lower" email program.  In fact, in many
respects, it's better than Outlook at some things.  IMAP account handling
comes to mind.

> I will never use Express and would love to remove it from
> my system.

Of course, if you did, Outlook would cease to function, since it utilizes
some of the DLLs contained in Outlook Express for some of its underlying
tasks.

> I currenty use Mozilla Thunderbird to read Newsgroups.
> Does anyone know why Micrsoft refuses to add Newsgroup options to
> their full Outlook program?

While I don't know, I can speculate.  Outlook is a business environment
application.  Many companies simply don't want to make it any easier for
their employees to spend time online when they should be spending time
making money for the company.  Of course, I see the illogic of this, since
any PC with Outlook installed also had OE, which can read news and if
there's no newsfeed to tap, it wouldn't matter if Outlook could read news.

Another theory is that Outlook is bloated enough as it is.  Adding
functionality outside the scope of the application's main focus adds to that
bloat and introduces side effects that could affect or detract from the main
focus.

Additionally, there's the idea that managers at Microsoft may have said
something to the effect of, "We already have a product that reads news.  Do
we really need to add that ability to another product?  Wouldn't it be more
cost-effective to make the product better at what it already does?"

Finally, Exchange can host newsgroups within public folders, giving Outlook
clients the ability to read news that way and there already exist
third-party Outlook add-ins that enable NNTP in Outlook.  Microsoft already
owns the desktop where Outlook is installed.  They have no problem sharing
such an insignificant portion with other vendors.  Besides, they can use it
to say, "See, we're not really a monopoly."
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

RMS v1.2 and v1.3
I am operating on Headquarters v1.2 and Store Operations v1.3 however when I upload items the information does not transfer. Do both need to be the same version? Headquarters and Store Operations always have to be the same version for the uploads/downloads to work. -- Regards Michael (Brisbane, Australia) "NMC" <NMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:193149AE-8F18-49F4-A98D-91B801C7CC6F@microsoft.com... >I am operating on Headquarters v1.2 and Store Operations v1.3 however when >I > upload items the information does not transfer. Do both need to...

Outlook deletes my ISP emails
I use MS Outlook to receive emails from ISP of SBC-Yahoo. Each time I got connected to the SBC account, I could receive my email from SBC account, but all the source emails in the SBC account were deleted automatically by the MS-Outlook.I could receive the mails but can not send the email through MS-Outlook. I have no problem in using the Outlook Express but the MS- Outlook. Please help! Thank you very much. Mai ...

Outlook 2000 Error #11
I had to re-install Windows and all programs and now when I try to send/receive mail through Outlook 2000 it gives me the message that Internet Mail is not regestered properly. Please re-install and try again. I use the Office 2000 CD and have used the repair function to re- install and finally totally un-install and re-install and I always get the same message. I am running Windows 98SE. It worked fine before I had to re-install. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for all of your help and input. Dale ...

Duplicate folders #3
I seem to have duplicate folders in Outlook XP. SOme of the content is the same, but there are 2 seperate Inbox folders. How can this be or what have I done? ...

Mailbox Cleanup #3
Why do I get this every week? This is a new exchange server with about 15 users. (0 mailboxes) The Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Manager has completed processing mailboxes Started at: 2007-01-14 00:11:03 Completed at: 2007-01-14 00:11:03 Mailboxes processed: 0 Messages moved: 0 Size of moved messages: 0.00 KB Deleted messages: 0 Size of deleted messages: 0.00 KB Did I set something up wrong? I thought this was a periodic cleanup routine.. Do you have a Recipient Policy with Mailbox Manager settings that has a LDAP filter that doesn't pick up any users? -- Bharat Sun...

Now that CRM 3.0 RTM is out on MSDN...
Now that CRM 3.0 RTM is out on MSDN are we allowed to talk about it in this NG? Or are we still supposed to keep quiet about it?! Cheers Tom ...

MSCRM 3.0 importing Chinese character problem
Hi, I use MSCRM 3.0, when importing, found the original Chinese character be changed to odd code, how can I solve this problem? ...

How do i download a outlook express 98?
i was using outlook express 98, but i dont know what happened. i cant check my mails.i want to download and replace it, how do i download? Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer. If you are running Windows 98 or newer, you can install the latest and greatest version of Internet Explorer (currently 6SP1). If you are still running Windows 95, then you would have to go with Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2. Both should still be available at http://www.microsoft.com/ie -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "maak&q...

View Yahoo email in Outlook 2003
I have successfully set up an email account in Outlook 2003 to receive my Hotmail mail. However,I have tried to set up an email account in Outlook 2003 to receive my Yahoo mail but I cannot see my Yahoo mailbox from Outlook. I suspect that the Server URL in the Settings (HTTP) dialog is incorrect. I have tried using the URL from my usual Yahoo login (http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?) but that does not work. Does anyone know what does work for Yahoo? Thanks Try these server settings under eMail Settings/POP e-mail tab/Server Information Incoming: pop.mail.yahoo.com Outgoing: s...

Outlook 2003 opens multiple instances
When I double click the desktop icon for outlook it opens twice or has two instances available in the task manager window. Once I disable or end these and reopen outlook it is fine. Also, we are currently running Viewmail and Viewfax from Active Voice. Any help would be grealty appreciated. Charles Garcia wrote: > When I double click the desktop icon for outlook it opens > twice or has two instances available in the task manager > window. Once I disable or end these and reopen outlook it > is fine. This happens randomly for me too. In fact, for a long time it used to a...

Outlook Error after URL change
We have already configured our internal DNS records to support crm.domain.com to point to the proper machine, and created the host headers on the web server. How do we get CRM to switch from "server1" to crm.domain.com? In a nutshell, we renamed the server from an internal name to a FQDN. Internally the CRM server still believes it is on http://server1 We are trying to access it now on http;//crm.domain.com. Our outlook worked properly before we made this change. After the change, only the web works and the outlook after a uninstall and reinstall, switching the server name whil...

Outlook Express Password #5
Last week I placed a password on my outlook express, so that no one could access it. I forget it on Monday morning, as the news of my mother's death on sunday. Please help? There is a product called snadboy which you can install. Once installed, you take the snadboy cursor over the ********* and it will reveal the paessword. BTW, it is freeware I believe. DJF >-----Original Message----- >Last week I placed a password on my outlook express, so that no one could access it. I forget it on Monday morning, as the news of my mother's death on sunday. Please help? >. > ...

Re: Outlook Remains active as process after exiting
Jim Beitzel wrote: > *Outlook.exe-Outlook 2003 remains active as a process after > closing program. I am running Windows 2000. > > Thank you, > Jim * I have the same problem for many months running Outlook 2003, Outloo XP, and Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000 server - Jason Clar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.mcse.m ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message433403.htm On 29 Apr 2004 11:51, Jason Clark <Jason.Clark.15i1dn@mail.mcse.m...

Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool
I'm not having any luck in finding more information about the Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool and even a harder time locating the download. I've read article http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx, it contains a link to the Microsoft Download Center but the tool doesn't list when you select the downloads for Outlook. I tried to do a search on MS for the "Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool", with no luck locating the download. Does anyone know where to obtain a copy of the tool or if Microsoft has released it out to download. The MS articles state it...

"Additional mailboxes" appearing more than once
[X-Posted to microsoft.public.outlook, microsoft.public.outlook.general] Setup: ------ Exchange Server 2000 (Small Business Server) Windows XP SP 1 & SP 2 Office 2003 (and SP 1) Roaming profiles Problem: -------- In the "Folder List", under "All Folders", mailboxes added using the "Open these additional mailboxes" are appearing more than once. Also, "Public Folders" is appearing twice. Additional: ----------- * This only happens with some of my users, but there is no common factor between them. * It doesn't seem to matter which machine they...

Outlook Web Interface
Having problem open up email in outlook web interfac. When try to open email with an attachment you get an error message. Page not found. link was moved or removed. Any help is appriciated. >-----Original Message----- >Having problem open up email in outlook web interfac. >When try to open email with an attachment you get an >error message. Page not found. link was moved or removed. >Any help is appriciated. >. > ...

Sharing Outlook '03 w/ other users
MS Outlook 2003 and MS Exchange 2003 I have 5 users who would like to have their Calendar shared with each other. One user, Michelle, currently can click on a check box with a user name, within Outlook on the left panel and view their calendar. She just needs 3 more users. The remaining 4 need the samething that Michelle has, so that they can click on say Keith or Mark check box and view their Calendar. My boss had done this for her......but he's no longer here and I'm now in his place. Thank you in advance. Show her how to right-click on the Calendar folder, bring up its P...

Outlook 2003 Time problems
Hello, There are various emails that I receive that aren't getting the time marked correctly in Outlook even though my system time clock is set correctly. I check the time of the emails and there 1 hour behind. Any solutions? Is daylight savings time configured correctly? Also verify that this is set correctly for both the sender and the mail server. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Jessem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Outlook 2003 will not close!
Outlook will not close! I'm not using a exchange server. I have to close outlook 2003 with the task manager. This happened after upgrading office XP to 2003. Runing with winfax Pro 10.01 WinFax 10 is not compatible with Outlook 2003. Might want to check the Symantec support site and see if they have documented steps on how to install WinFax 10 w/out integrating into Outlook. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "sendmeabuck" <sendmeabuck@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:095201c39fb3$046f20e0$a6012...

More than one profile in Outlook. #3
Hi I have a e-mail user that needs to open more than one e- mail account at a time, using Outlook 2002. If I click, File, Open, Others User's Folder, it works and he can get the mail for that e-mail account. When I try to put all the mailboxes in the folder list by clicking Tools, Email Accounts, View or change existing e-mail account, next, Change, More Settings, Advanced and then Add it gives me this message: The name could not be resolved. The action could not be completed. I use Exchange 5.5 Can anyone help? ...

empty messages in Outlook Express
Anyone got any ideas on this. Today all my email messages appeared to be blank, although attachement, headers and file size remain. To complicate things further, I can no longer recv or send email, I get the following message. Any ideas? Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Annon BT account', Server: 'mail.btopenworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK 1487 octets', Port: 110, Secure (SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F And...

Add Movie to Outlook E-Mail Message via "Web Tools" toolbar--question
Using Outlook 2003 (in fact all of Microsoft Office 2003), and have Word selected as e-mail editor. Windows XP Pro with all updates. Recently I discovered on the Office web site a way to insert a movie (inline) to an e-mail message. I have one question about its implementation. If (in an HTML-formatted e-mail, and Word selected as e-mail editor) with the cursor in the body of the message, you click on "View", "Toolbars", you can select a toolbar called "Web Tools". On that is an icon that says "Movie". If you click on it you can add a movie to the e-ma...

Outlook 2003: My "auto suggest" email address does not work after reboot
Running Windows 7 HP 64. After I access names in the Contact list, they will be auto suggested as I start to type a letter, but if I reboot, its as if I've never done it. Never had that happened before. ??? "Hotkey" <noway@notnow.com> wrote in message news:OPqTXyHaKHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Running Windows 7 HP 64. > > After I access names in the Contact list, they will be auto suggested as I > start to type a letter, but if I reboot, its as if I've never done it. > > Never had that happened before. This is a sighn...

outlook scheduling
I have Outlook 2007 and use it extensively as I know how. I have a hurdle that I can't seem to figure out. My job is primarily made up of the same 5 schedule items. The items are not recurring but hinge on getting a customer deposit. So, when i get the deposit 2 days later i need to have drawings done, 1 more day order material, one more day distribute cut lists, and so on. Any ideas on the easiest way to do this. As a nice bonus it would be nice if i could start the process by having a customer que that would log my customers and make my DL's easier. May be asking...

Sharing Folder Outlook 2003
I can't seem to find any help on this subject. Used to be that you could add a folder from somewhere on the hard drive to the folder tree in Outlook. Can't do that anymore (with Outlook 2003). On my home PC Outlook 2003 is confiugred with 2 profiles. One for me, one for my wife. I would like to have certain emails sent to a common folder so when she opens up Outlook she can see them. Before I create a rule that autoforwards them to her account I was hoping to try just setting up a common folder. Your help is much appreciated. Matt Dear Matt, have a look on this site for...