Outlook - how do we manage a user's email?

We have a user that gets a ton of emails with atachments for his job (corp
project manager) and we are having a devil of a time trying to help him.
Within a few months, his PST will become so large (reaching the 2 GIG limit
in Outlook 2000.  We can't use Outlook 2003 because we have Exchange 5.5 and
our exchange admin is not ready for Outlook 2003) that we have to try to
archive out his PST and create a new one for him.  The problem is that he
has quite a number of folders that he LIKES to keep when we archive his PST.
So we can't simply make a template PST as he modifies the folders as he goes
along.  *SIGH*  We have tried to show him but he's so *BUSY* (COUGH) that he
won't do it.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what we can do to keep
his email trim and slim without having to manage it all the time?

Thanks!

0
dinodod27 (3)

- Karl wrote:
> We have a user that gets a ton of emails with atachments for his job
> (corp project manager) and we are having a devil of a time trying to
> help him. Within a few months, his PST will become so large (reaching
> the 2 GIG limit in Outlook 2000.  We can't use Outlook 2003 because
> we have Exchange 5.5 and our exchange admin is not ready for Outlook
> 2003) that we have to try to archive out his PST and create a new one
> for him.  The problem is that he has quite a number of folders that
> he LIKES to keep when we archive his PST. So we can't simply make a
> template PST as he modifies the folders as he goes along.  *SIGH*  We
> have tried to show him but he's so *BUSY* (COUGH) that he won't do it.
>
> So I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what we can do
> to keep his email trim and slim without having to manage it all the
> time?

I guess he'll learn to manage his PST file when it gets corrupt or meets the
2GB limit and he loses data....but note, I don't recommend using PST files
for storage at all when you have Exchange - keep everyone's 'live' data on
the Exchange server. Use PSTs for archive only, if need be. Are you using
Exchange standard? What are your mailbox quotas? How much can you back
up/restore?

http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sectionName=Why%20PST%20=%20BAD
may be interesting reading to you....

Note that you can use OL2003 and E5x just fine, but again, PST files are not
the answer for live mailbox storage.

> Thanks!

0
lanwench (7567)
6/30/2004 3:17:55 AM
We have a 10 Meg limit on email storage due to space limits on server and to
make the users better manage their mail.  This user has a much larger limit
due to the fact he is the project manager for a major upcoming project
PST's are used for any emails they want to keep.  We are only the post
office.  The users need to get their emails out from their boxes and keep it
on their PC's.  They learn to manage their own data.  Our company's data
that the users input is backed up by us.  Their personal email / data is
managed by them.  That way, we are not responsible for them losing their
data.

This is a user who fills up a 2 gig email quota in a matter of only a couple
of months.  Every email is very important to the project so he has to keep
all of them (at least that is what he says).  So we keep archiving his
emails.

*SIGH*  What a pain!  :)

Thanks!

0
dinodod27 (3)
7/1/2004 2:12:48 AM
- Karl wrote:
> We have a 10 Meg limit on email storage due to space limits on server
> and to make the users better manage their mail.  This user has a much
> larger limit due to the fact he is the project manager for a major
> upcoming project PST's are used for any emails they want to keep.  We
> are only the post office.  The users need to get their emails out
> from their boxes and keep it on their PC's.  They learn to manage
> their own data.  Our company's data that the users input is backed up
> by us.  Their personal email / data is managed by them.  That way, we
> are not responsible for them losing their data.

OK - but if you have a user who is putting company data that he needs in PST
files, note that you will likely have problems
managing/administrating/backing them up. 10MB is a TINY quota. I'd rather
have all his "live" stuff on the server - or at the very least make sure
your manager knows that you can't really be held responsible if this guy's
PST files blow up.

> This is a user who fills up a 2 gig email quota in a matter of only a
> couple of months.  Every email is very important to the project so he
> has to keep all of them (at least that is what he says).  So we keep
> archiving his emails.
>
> *SIGH*  What a pain!  :)
>
> Thanks!

0
lanwench (7567)
7/1/2004 2:45:21 PM
That may be but we are just the post office.  It's their data, not the
companies.  Their data is their responsibility.  The company's is ours.
There is no need to have any more room for the users unless there is a
specific need.  I apologize, for not saying sooner but this user has a much
larger limit on his mailbox.

Perhaps there could be some rule that auto-archives the folders into a new
PST every week or so (Like the archive tool but with many more options on
what to archive and how)

Anyways, thanks for the help.  Perhaps when we move to Outlook 2003, we can
have a much better support system for him (At least a much larger pst)

0
dinodod27 (3)