Outlook has problems connecting to Exchange server when I use remote desktop

Hi, all

I've noticed a strange problem recently: when I connect to my PC at the
office from my home PC, using remote desktop, Outlook running on the office
PC frequently has problems connecting to the company Exchange server. I get
the following error message:

Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x80040115) : 'The
connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.  Outlook must be
online or connected to complete this action.'

The problem does go away after a while, and seems to go away if I close &
re-open Outlook.

I haven't noticed the problem when I'm in the office, using the office PC
directly.

Both PCs are running Windows XP SP2. Outlook is 2003.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

- rick

On Jul 28, 12:14 am, "rick cameron"
<rick.came...@decisionscrystal.com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I've noticed a strange problem recently: when I connect to my PC at the
> office from my home PC, using remote desktop, Outlook running on the office
> PC frequently has problems connecting to the company Exchange server. I get
> the following error message:
>
> Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x80040115) : 'The
> connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.  Outlook must be
> online or connected to complete this action.'

Do you use some sort of VPN to reach you work machine via RDP ?

0
google9121 (25)
7/27/2007 10:41:44 PM
"AlexT." wrote in message

> "rick cameron" wrote:
>>
>> I've noticed a strange problem recently: when I connect to my PC at
>> the
>> office from my home PC, using remote desktop, Outlook running on the
>> office
>> PC frequently has problems connecting to the company Exchange server.
>> I get
>> the following error message:
>>
>> Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x80040115) : 'The
>> connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.  Outlook
>> must be
>> online or connected to complete this action.'
>
> Do you use some sort of VPN to reach you work machine via RDP ?

If the user successfuly gets the desktop on the remote PC using RDP then
it doesn't matter what communications channel was used.  If VPN was used
but not working, the user would have never connected to their host to
login to establish a Windows session to then run applications on that
remote host.  The fact the OP was able to use the remote desktop to
start Outlook means VPN was working, the direct connect was working, or
whatever was working for the OP to get to the remote host.

0
no626 (84)
7/28/2007 6:27:28 PM
"rick cameron" wrote in message
> Hi, all
>
> I've noticed a strange problem recently: when I connect to my PC at
> the office from my home PC, using remote desktop, Outlook running on
> the office PC frequently has problems connecting to the company
> Exchange server. I get the following error message:
>
> Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x80040115) : 'The
> connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.  Outlook
> must be online or connected to complete this action.'
>
> The problem does go away after a while, and seems to go away if I
> close & re-open Outlook.
>
> I haven't noticed the problem when I'm in the office, using the office
> PC directly.
>
> Both PCs are running Windows XP SP2. Outlook is 2003.

Try disabling Exchange cache mode.

Remember that you are using the network connection to the remote desktop
which is the same network connection used to connect to the Exchange
server.  Could be you are simply flooding your NIC with so much traffic
that delays are incurred for Outlook on the remote host trying to get at
the Exchange server.

I don't know how well RDP handles graphical data, like your desktop.  If
it attempts to transmit the entire screen to reflect a single pixel
change, that's a hell of a lot of traffic.  I know that some versions of
VNC will only send incremental screen changes to reduce traffic size.
You might want to try TightVNC  instead of RDP.

0
no626 (84)
7/28/2007 6:37:23 PM
"Vanguard" <no@mail.invalid> wrote in message
> "rick cameron" wrote in message
>> Hi, all
>>
>> I've noticed a strange problem recently: when I connect to my PC at the
>> office from my home PC, using remote desktop, Outlook running on the
>> office PC frequently has problems connecting to the company Exchange
>> server. I get the following error message:
>>
>> Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x80040115) : 'The
>> connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.  Outlook must
>> be online or connected to complete this action.'
>>
>> The problem does go away after a while, and seems to go away if I close &
>> re-open Outlook.
>>
>> I haven't noticed the problem when I'm in the office, using the office PC
>> directly.
>>
>> Both PCs are running Windows XP SP2. Outlook is 2003.
>

> Try disabling Exchange cache mode.
>
> Remember that you are using the network connection to the remote desktop
> which is the same network connection used to connect to the Exchange
> server.  Could be you are simply flooding your NIC with so much traffic
> that delays are incurred for Outlook on the remote host trying to get at
> the Exchange server.
>
> I don't know how well RDP handles graphical data, like your desktop.  If
> it attempts to transmit the entire screen to reflect a single pixel
> change, that's a hell of a lot of traffic.  I know that some versions of
> VNC will only send incremental screen changes to reduce traffic size. You
> might want to try TightVNC  instead of RDP.

I agree with your theory, given that this seldom happens when I'm not using
RDP. I already have Exchange cache mode tuned off. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

- rick

> "Vanguard" wrote ...
>>
>> "rick cameron" wrote ...
>>>
>>> I've noticed a strange problem recently: when I connect to my PC at
>>> the office from my home PC, using remote desktop, Outlook running on
>>> the office PC frequently has problems connecting to the company
>>> Exchange server. I get the following error message:
>>>
>>> Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x80040115) : 'The
>>> connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.  Outlook
>>> must be online or connected to complete this action.'
>>>
>>> The problem does go away after a while, and seems to go away if I
>>> close & re-open Outlook.
>>>
>>> I haven't noticed the problem when I'm in the office, using the
>>> office PC directly.
>>>
>>> Both PCs are running Windows XP SP2. Outlook is 2003.
>>
>> Try disabling Exchange cache mode.
>>
>> Remember that you are using the network connection to the remote
>> desktop which is the same network connection used to connect to the
>> Exchange server.  Could be you are simply flooding your NIC with so
>> much traffic that delays are incurred for Outlook on the remote host
>> trying to get at the Exchange server.
>>
>> I don't know how well RDP handles graphical data, like your desktop.
>> If it attempts to transmit the entire screen to reflect a single
>> pixel change, that's a hell of a lot of traffic.  I know that some
>> versions of VNC will only send incremental screen changes to reduce
>> traffic size. You might want to try TightVNC  instead of RDP.
>
> I agree with your theory, given that this seldom happens when I'm not
> using RDP. I already have Exchange cache mode tuned off. Any other
> suggestions?

If you are allowed by your company to connect to your workstation using
RDP then they should also allow you to use VNC.  See if the same problem
occurs when using TightVNC.

0
vanguard.x (49)

Problems with Public Folders replication
Hi guys, Some problems here. We have decided to install Exchange server 2003 SP1 on a new hardware with W2k3 SP1 on a new DC (yes, I know it is a bad practice, but...) instead of old Exchange server 2003 SP1 on an old DC on an old hardware. New one (additional) DC was brought live (with some minor problems, DNS, time, as always) without FSMO delegation (for now). Replication of users' accounts was smooth. Logs clear. After Exchange 2003 SP1 installation (with some DNS manipulations) also all was Ok. Dcdiag Ok. In ESM all Exchange servers are visible (old and new). So I have started ...

Crash on 'Send"

Exchange update problem

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

docmd.transfertext problem

SQL deadlock problem

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Using part of a cell in a chart title

Using expression builder object
Hi, I'm developing a wizzard in Access which builds import templates for various data sources to a fixed set of tables. In step 3 the users must be able to build an expression ; for instance Left([Fieldx],20) . Now I would like to have a command button on my form which calls the Access expression builder to allow the users to use this to build the expression. This expression will then be stored in a text box linked to the templates table. Anybody know how to call and use this object from VBA code? -- Kind regards Noëlla DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdInvokeBuilder I th...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

When using MONTH function on Blank Cell!! Returns Month=Jan!
When i use the MONTH(A3) Function and A3 is blank, excel takes it as a 0! ie. MONTH(0) and returns January as the month because the date in serial is 00-Jan-1900. How do i get around this! Here is my Formula: I am trying to count the number of months that are used, i have done this with this formula below: It works perfect for all months except for Jan! because it think that blanks cells are a serial date 0. {=SUM(IF(MONTH(DATA!A2:A7)=1,1,0))} __________________ | A | 1 | Date | 2 | 01-01-05 | 3 | 04-04-05 | 4 | 04-04-05 ...

How to restore entire server?

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

cant start outlook pst file to large

Outlook 2003