Outlook Hangs Reading Messages

I am running Windows XP Pro & Outlook 2003 via POP3 & Symantec AV

I had to reinstall everything on my pc and now find when I double click
an email outlook hangs for roughly a minute and then it finally opens,
I have tried a data compact, reinstalling outlook and creating a new
pst then importing but it still happens

Does anyone have any ideas? It's driving me mad

Thanks

Daz

0
daz5124 (5)

Try deleting and recreating the profile as one of your steps in
troubleshooting:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Faq/newprofile.htm

--
K. Orland
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form

"daz@rayneressex.com" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP Pro & Outlook 2003 via POP3 & Symantec AV
>

> I had to reinstall everything on my pc and now find when I double click
> an email outlook hangs for roughly a minute and then it finally opens,
> I have tried a data compact, reinstalling outlook and creating a new
> pst then importing but it still happens
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? It's driving me mad
>
> Thanks
>
> Daz

0
KOrland1 (1012)
7/4/2005 8:42:01 PM
Hi,

You may want to look at this article and try it,

How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329820

--
Lee-Anne
Microsoft Office Support Engineer

0
LeeAnne (9)
7/5/2005 9:55:01 AM
Hi, I have re-created a profile and Norton had the plug in already
disabled. I'm going to change Outlook back to 2000 and see what happens

Daz

0
daz5124 (5)
7/5/2005 7:06:08 PM
ok it didn't work, the pst file was an outlook 2003. I have now removed
the av and reinstalled office 2003 again and it's still happening. Even
when a new data file is created Outlook still hangs if I double click
any email in the inbox?

Daz

0
daz5124 (5)
7/5/2005 9:30:32 PM
Hi Daz,

Try the following:

Rename the .dat files in Outlook 2003.
To do so, follow these steps.

Note Outlook 2003 automatically replaces the Extend.dat data file, the
Outcmd.dat data file, and the Frmcache.dat data file if these files are
missing.
Quit all programs.
Click Start, and then click Search.
Click All files and folders.
In the All or part of the file name box, type
extend.dat,outcmd.dat,frmcache.dat.
In the Look in box, click Local Hard Drives.
Click More advanced options.
Click to select the Search hidden files and folders check box.
Click Search to search for the files.

By default, these files are located in the following folders, where drive is
the drive where Microsoft Windows is installed:

File Name Default Location
Outcmd.dat drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Extend.dat  drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Frmcache.dat  drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\FORMS

For each file that appears in the Search Results dialog box, right-click the
file, click Rename, type a new name for the file (for example, type
extend.old), and then press ENTER.
Close the Search Results dialog box.
Restart Outlook 2003.

Note When you restart Outlook 2003, it will create a new Frmcache.dat file
with information about the cached forms.

--
Lee-Anne
Microsoft Office Support Engineer
BTG on behalf of Microsoft CSS (South Africa)
Tel: 0860 2255 67 (CALL MS) (South Africa only)

0
LeeAnne (9)
7/6/2005 6:14:02 AM
Hi Daz,
Another thing to try:

Uncheck all Add-Ins and COM Add-Ins

1.       Open Outlook

2.       Click Tools

3.       Click Options

4.       Click the Other tab

5.       Click Advanced Options

6.       Click Add-In Manager…

7.       Uncheck all check boxes

8.       Click Ok

9.       Click COM Add-Ins…

10.   Select each item and click Remove

11.   Click Ok

12.   Click Ok

13.   Click Ok

14.   Test to see if the same issue occurs

--

"daz@rayneressex.com" wrote:

> ok it didn't work, the pst file was an outlook 2003. I have now removed
> the av and reinstalled office 2003 again and it's still happening. Even
> when a new data file is created Outlook still hangs if I double click
> any email in the inbox?
>
> Daz

0
LeeAnne (9)
7/6/2005 6:15:03 AM
Hi Daz

The last suggestion for now is:

Rename: msouplug.dll

Let me know how all of that goes :)
--
Lee-Anne
Microsoft Office Support Engineer
BTG on behalf of Microsoft CSS (South Africa)
Tel: 0860 2255 67 (CALL MS) (South Africa only)

0
LeeAnne (9)
7/6/2005 6:17:02 AM
Hi guys, I've tried your suggestions and the hanging is still
happening, it takes roughly 4-5mins for a single email to open up.

The problem seems to happen with html email or email with images?

is it easier if I wipe the pc and re-install everything?

Thanks

Daz

0
daz5124 (5)

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Outlook Sales

OL 2002 Hanging up When Attaching Docs

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

message delivery problems

errror message
error message: the selected assistant character is not available. microsoft outlook cannot install the neccessary files due to windows installer error 1605. this action is only valid for products that are currently installed. anyone please advise? ...

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

Outlook Recall Msg Process

CRM and Outlook Integration 07-22-03

cannot open hyper links in outlook