Outlook Data Files #4

I've done some reading but I'm still confused about the use of Office
Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) versus Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders
File (.pst).  I understand the basic "Office Outlook Personal Folders File
(.pst) to create a new Outlook 2003 .pst file. Click Outlook 97-2002
Personal Folders File (.pst) to create a new Outlook .pst file that is
compatible with earlier versions of Outlook."
When we have upgraded to Outlook 2003 or set up a new PC with Outlook 2003,
when adding PST's you can chosse either of the two file type options and
browse to chosse an existing PST file.  If the original PST was created
pre-Outlook 2003, you can choose Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst)
and there appears to be no problem.  Is there a problem that is not
apparent?  I've read articles about how to "Convert a non-Unicode data file
(.pst) to a Unicode data file (.pst)", but as far as I can tell it is not
necessary.  What am I missing?  Just looking for to understand so I ensure
we create instructions for using PST's created per-Outlook 2003 preoperly.
Thanks!!
ST.

0
shaunat (8)

What exactly is your question?
The default format for Outlook 2003 PST files in UNICODE. Those files are
not compatible with any previous versions of Outlook. Hence the ability to
create PST files in ANSI ("Outlook 97-2002") format if you need to use data
files that are compatible with earlier versions. That option can only be
accessed with the File > New command.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Shauna T" <shaunat@charter.net.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
> I've done some reading but I'm still confused about the use of Office
> Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) versus Outlook 97-2002 Personal
> Folders File (.pst).  I understand the basic "Office Outlook Personal
> Folders File (.pst) to create a new Outlook 2003 .pst file. Click Outlook
> 97-2002 Personal Folders File (.pst) to create a new Outlook .pst file
> that is compatible with earlier versions of Outlook."
> When we have upgraded to Outlook 2003 or set up a new PC with Outlook
> 2003, when adding PST's you can chosse either of the two file type options
> and browse to chosse an existing PST file.  If the original PST was
> created pre-Outlook 2003, you can choose Office Outlook Personal Folders
> File (.pst) and there appears to be no problem.  Is there a problem that
> is not apparent?  I've read articles about how to "Convert a non-Unicode
> data file (.pst) to a Unicode data file (.pst)", but as far as I can tell
> it is not necessary.  What am I missing?  Just looking for to understand
> so I ensure we create instructions for using PST's created per-Outlook
> 2003 preoperly.
> Thanks!!
> ST.

0
russval1 (2100)
1/6/2006 12:37:07 AM
Shauna T <shaunat@charter.net.NO_SPAM> wrote:

> I've done some reading but I'm still confused about the use of Office
> Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) versus Outlook 97-2002 Personal
> Folders File (.pst).

You use the Unicode (new) PSTs if you do not need to use those PSTs in
earlier versions of Outlook and you use ANSI (old) PSTs if you do.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/6/2006 4:12:26 PM
> I've done some reading but I'm still confused about the use of Office
> Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) versus Outlook 97-2002 Personal
> Folders File (.pst).  I understand the basic "Office Outlook Personal
> Folders File (.pst) to create a new Outlook 2003 .pst file. Click Outlook
> 97-2002 Personal Folders File (.pst) to create a new Outlook .pst file
> that is compatible with earlier versions of Outlook."
> When we have upgraded to Outlook 2003 or set up a new PC with Outlook
> 2003, when adding PST's you can chosse either of the two file type options
> and browse to chosse an existing PST file.  If the original PST was
> created pre-Outlook 2003, you can choose Office Outlook Personal Folders
> File (.pst) and there appears to be no problem.  Is there a problem that
> is not apparent?  I've read articles about how to "Convert a non-Unicode
> data file (.pst) to a Unicode data file (.pst)", but as far as I can tell
> it is not necessary.  What am I missing?  Just looking for to understand
> so I ensure we create instructions for using PST's created per-Outlook
> 2003 preoperly.
> Thanks!!
> ST.

In addition to the other posts Unicode has the advantage of allowing larger
files so if you have LOADS of messages the newer format has the advantage.

0
alan8232 (157)
1/6/2006 11:27:45 PM
What I'm asking is......  a user has 5 PST files on their hard drive, all
created prior to Outlook 2003.  Now they have upgraded to 2003 and are
creating a new profile.  They can "add" these pre-existing PSTs after
choosing either Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) or Outlook
97-2002 Personal  Folders File (.pst) and then browsing to the appropriate
folder.
Will there be a problem if the user chooses the Office Outlook Personal
Folders File (.pst) option then browses to a pre-2003 PST?
This has been done and there is no apparent problem, but all the articles on
Microsoft.com seem to indicate this may be a problem.  All articles talk
about creating new PST's and importing in the old data. I am not concerned
with compatability with old versions of Outlook at all.  I'm trying to
determine if choosing the new Unicode version of the Storage File Type for a
pre-2003 PST will introduce any problems.

Thank you..........
ST

> What exactly is your question?
> The default format for Outlook 2003 PST files in UNICODE. Those files are
> not compatible with any previous versions of Outlook. Hence the ability to
> create PST files in ANSI ("Outlook 97-2002") format if you need to use
> data files that are compatible with earlier versions. That option can only
> be accessed with the File > New command.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Shauna T" <shaunat@charter.net.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
>> I've done some reading but I'm still confused about the use of Office
>> Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) versus Outlook 97-2002 Personal
>> Folders File (.pst).  I understand the basic "Office Outlook Personal
>> Folders File (.pst) to create a new Outlook 2003 .pst file. Click Outlook
>> 97-2002 Personal Folders File (.pst) to create a new Outlook .pst file
>> that is compatible with earlier versions of Outlook."
>> When we have upgraded to Outlook 2003 or set up a new PC with Outlook
>> 2003, when adding PST's you can chosse either of the two file type
>> options and browse to chosse an existing PST file.  If the original PST
>> was created pre-Outlook 2003, you can choose Office Outlook Personal
>> Folders File (.pst) and there appears to be no problem.  Is there a
>> problem that is not apparent?  I've read articles about how to "Convert a
>> non-Unicode data file (.pst) to a Unicode data file (.pst)", but as far
>> as I can tell it is not necessary.  What am I missing?  Just looking for
>> to understand so I ensure we create instructions for using PST's created
>> per-Outlook 2003 preoperly.
>> Thanks!!
>> ST.

0
shaunat (8)
1/8/2006 2:47:51 AM
Question still makes no sense. You cannot "add" an "Outlook 97-2002" PST
file as if it were an Outlook 2003 file. The ability to choose file format
only exists when you create a new PST file in Outlook 2003.
Clarify what you mean.
--
> What I'm asking is......  a user has 5 PST files on their hard drive, all
> created prior to Outlook 2003.  Now they have upgraded to 2003 and are
> creating a new profile.  They can "add" these pre-existing PSTs after
> choosing either Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) or Outlook
> 97-2002 Personal  Folders File (.pst) and then browsing to the appropriate
> folder.
> Will there be a problem if the user chooses the Office Outlook Personal
> Folders File (.pst) option then browses to a pre-2003 PST?
> This has been done and there is no apparent problem, but all the articles
> on Microsoft.com seem to indicate this may be a problem.  All articles
> talk about creating new PST's and importing in the old data. I am not
> concerned with compatability with old versions of Outlook at all.  I'm
> trying to determine if choosing the new Unicode version of the Storage
> File Type for a pre-2003 PST will introduce any problems.
>
> Thank you..........
> ST
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> What exactly is your question?
>> The default format for Outlook 2003 PST files in UNICODE. Those files are
>> not compatible with any previous versions of Outlook. Hence the ability
>> to create PST files in ANSI ("Outlook 97-2002") format if you need to use
>> data files that are compatible with earlier versions. That option can
>> only be accessed with the File > New command.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Shauna T" <shaunat@charter.net.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
>>> I've done some reading but I'm still confused about the use of Office
>>> Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) versus Outlook 97-2002 Personal
>>> Folders File (.pst).  I understand the basic "Office Outlook Personal
>>> Folders File (.pst) to create a new Outlook 2003 .pst file. Click
>>> Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File (.pst) to create a new Outlook
>>> .pst file that is compatible with earlier versions of Outlook."
>>> When we have upgraded to Outlook 2003 or set up a new PC with Outlook
>>> 2003, when adding PST's you can chosse either of the two file type
>>> options and browse to chosse an existing PST file.  If the original PST
>>> was created pre-Outlook 2003, you can choose Office Outlook Personal
>>> Folders File (.pst) and there appears to be no problem.  Is there a
>>> problem that is not apparent?  I've read articles about how to "Convert
>>> a non-Unicode data file (.pst) to a Unicode data file (.pst)", but as
>>> far as I can tell it is not necessary.  What am I missing?  Just looking
>>> for to understand so I ensure we create instructions for using PST's
>>> created per-Outlook 2003 preoperly.
>>> Thanks!!
>>> ST.

0
russval1 (2100)
1/8/2006 3:19:56 AM
If I pick File, Data File Management, Add - I then get the option to choose
Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) or Outlook 97-2002 Personal
Folders File (.pst).  Regardless of which I choose, I then get a "Create or
Open Data File" dialogue box.  At that point I can select a pre-existing,
pre-2003 PST file.  If I choose Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst)
and "open" an existing pre-2003 PST file, will there be any ramifications?
If this still doesn't make sense, I'll stop asking and cross my fingers.
Thanks - ST

> Question still makes no sense. You cannot "add" an "Outlook 97-2002" PST
> file as if it were an Outlook 2003 file. The ability to choose file format
> only exists when you create a new PST file in Outlook 2003.
> Clarify what you mean.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Shauna T" <shaunat@charter.net.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
>> What I'm asking is......  a user has 5 PST files on their hard drive, all
>> created prior to Outlook 2003.  Now they have upgraded to 2003 and are
>> creating a new profile.  They can "add" these pre-existing PSTs after
>> choosing either Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) or Outlook
>> 97-2002 Personal  Folders File (.pst) and then browsing to the
>> appropriate folder.
>> Will there be a problem if the user chooses the Office Outlook Personal
>> Folders File (.pst) option then browses to a pre-2003 PST?
>> This has been done and there is no apparent problem, but all the articles
>> on Microsoft.com seem to indicate this may be a problem.  All articles
>> talk about creating new PST's and importing in the old data. I am not
>> concerned with compatability with old versions of Outlook at all.  I'm
>> trying to determine if choosing the new Unicode version of the Storage
>> File Type for a pre-2003 PST will introduce any problems.
>>
>> Thank you..........
>> ST
>>

>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> What exactly is your question?
>>> The default format for Outlook 2003 PST files in UNICODE. Those files
>>> are not compatible with any previous versions of Outlook. Hence the
>>> ability to create PST files in ANSI ("Outlook 97-2002") format if you
>>> need to use data files that are compatible with earlier versions. That
>>> option can only be accessed with the File > New command.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Shauna T" <shaunat@charter.net.NO_SPAM> wrote in message

0
shaunat (8)
1/8/2006 4:29:31 AM
Should be fine. You can use either file type with Outlook 2003. The only
ramification is that you can't exceed the 2 GB limit with the older file
type. Very few people need to do that.
--
> If I pick File, Data File Management, Add - I then get the option to
> choose Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) or Outlook 97-2002
> Personal Folders File (.pst).  Regardless of which I choose, I then get a
> "Create or Open Data File" dialogue box.  At that point I can select a
> pre-existing, pre-2003 PST file.  If I choose Office Outlook Personal
> Folders File (.pst) and "open" an existing pre-2003 PST file, will there
> be any ramifications?
> If this still doesn't make sense, I'll stop asking and cross my fingers.
> Thanks - ST
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Question still makes no sense. You cannot "add" an "Outlook 97-2002" PST
>> file as if it were an Outlook 2003 file. The ability to choose file
>> format only exists when you create a new PST file in Outlook 2003.
>> Clarify what you mean.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Shauna T" <shaunat@charter.net.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
>>> What I'm asking is......  a user has 5 PST files on their hard drive,
>>> all created prior to Outlook 2003.  Now they have upgraded to 2003 and
>>> are creating a new profile.  They can "add" these pre-existing PSTs
>>> after choosing either Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) or
>>> Outlook 97-2002 Personal  Folders File (.pst) and then browsing to the
>>> appropriate folder.
>>> Will there be a problem if the user chooses the Office Outlook Personal
>>> Folders File (.pst) option then browses to a pre-2003 PST?
>>> This has been done and there is no apparent problem, but all the
>>> articles on Microsoft.com seem to indicate this may be a problem.  All
>>> articles talk about creating new PST's and importing in the old data. I
>>> am not concerned with compatability with old versions of Outlook at all.
>>> I'm trying to determine if choosing the new Unicode version of the
>>> Storage File Type for a pre-2003 PST will introduce any problems.
>>>
>>> Thank you..........
>>> ST
>>>

>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

MS Money 95 data files

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

SMTP Connectors #4
Hi, I have a problem with two Front-End servers in NLB. I have two connectors with address space *, one connector with cost 10 the other with cost 20 for connector availability purposes. Inbound mails are targeted to FrontEnd1, outbound mails should go from FrontEnd2 (e.g. MX for FrontEnd1 cost is 10; MX cost for FrontEnd2 is 20) Connectors: FrontEnd1 - Address space * - cost 10 - bridgehead srv = FrontEnd1; FrontEnd2 - Address space * - cost 20 - bridgehead srv = FrontEnd2 The problem: If both servers are up and running and somehow some mail ends in queue on FrontEnd2 it correctly crea...

Crash on 'Send"

data input in text box

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Sorting Data #5