Outlook crashes when typing recipient

Every time I try to send an email message in Outlook, it crashes as
soon as I start typing in the recipient address. Does anyone know what
could be causing this and how to fix it? I do not have any Add-Ins
installed.

Thanks.

0
yofnik (16)

It would be helpful if you provided at least some basic information such as:
1. Outlook version
2. Mail account type
3. Information store
4. The steps used to break Outlook. I suspect this didn't just start
happening on its own for no reason.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
<yofnik@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Every time I try to send an email message in Outlook, it crashes as
> soon as I start typing in the recipient address. Does anyone know what
> could be causing this and how to fix it? I do not have any Add-Ins
> installed.
>
> Thanks.

0
russval1 (2100)
10/1/2006 1:18:28 AM
Hello. Sorry for the lack of info.

I am using Outlook 2003. I am connecting to a POP email server
(comcast) and have a normal PST outlook file. I have no idea what
caused the problem to occur. It honestly just started without any
action that I am aware of. If I try to send a new email I get the
normal "new message" window. As soon as I start typing the recipient
address, Outlook just crashes. I get a "Report this Error to Microsoft"
dialog, but Outlook restarts before I see any results of it. This
problem occurs whether I select to use Word to compose my email or not.

Any advice on diagnosing or correcting the problem is greatly
appreciated. As of now, I can't send any email!

Thanks.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> It would be helpful if you provided at least some basic information such as:
> 1. Outlook version
> 2. Mail account type
> 3. Information store
> 4. The steps used to break Outlook. I suspect this didn't just start
> happening on its own for no reason.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> <yofnik@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Every time I try to send an email message in Outlook, it crashes as
> > soon as I start typing in the recipient address. Does anyone know what
> > could be causing this and how to fix it? I do not have any Add-Ins
> > installed.
> >
> > Thanks.

0
yofnik (16)
10/1/2006 5:36:43 AM
Does this occur as soon as you start typing or after you exit the To: field?
Do you get any error message at all? If not, what do you see in Event
viewer?
I would start by creating a new profile from scratch with a new name. You
may have a problem with your autocompletion cache.
--
> Hello. Sorry for the lack of info.
>
> I am using Outlook 2003. I am connecting to a POP email server
> (comcast) and have a normal PST outlook file. I have no idea what
> caused the problem to occur. It honestly just started without any
> action that I am aware of. If I try to send a new email I get the
> normal "new message" window. As soon as I start typing the recipient
> address, Outlook just crashes. I get a "Report this Error to Microsoft"
> dialog, but Outlook restarts before I see any results of it. This
> problem occurs whether I select to use Word to compose my email or not.
>

> Any advice on diagnosing or correcting the problem is greatly
> appreciated. As of now, I can't send any email!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>> It would be helpful if you provided at least some basic information such
>> as:
>> 1. Outlook version
>> 2. Mail account type
>> 3. Information store
>> 4. The steps used to break Outlook. I suspect this didn't just start
>> happening on its own for no reason.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> <yofnik@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Every time I try to send an email message in Outlook, it crashes as
>> > soon as I start typing in the recipient address. Does anyone know what
>> > could be causing this and how to fix it? I do not have any Add-Ins
>> > installed.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

0
russval1 (2100)
10/1/2006 10:56:09 AM
It occurs as soon as I type the first letter of the recipients address.
There is no error message other than the typical "Outlook experienced a
problem and needs to close".

I already tried creating a new PST file. That did not help. I also had
the feeling it was something to do with autocomplete. Is there a way to
clear that cache or is creating a new profile the only way?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> Does this occur as soon as you start typing or after you exit the To: field?
> Do you get any error message at all? If not, what do you see in Event
> viewer?
> I would start by creating a new profile from scratch with a new name. You
> may have a problem with your autocompletion cache.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> <yofnik@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hello. Sorry for the lack of info.
> >
> > I am using Outlook 2003. I am connecting to a POP email server
> > (comcast) and have a normal PST outlook file. I have no idea what
> > caused the problem to occur. It honestly just started without any
> > action that I am aware of. If I try to send a new email I get the
> > normal "new message" window. As soon as I start typing the recipient
> > address, Outlook just crashes. I get a "Report this Error to Microsoft"
> > dialog, but Outlook restarts before I see any results of it. This
> > problem occurs whether I select to use Word to compose my email or not.
> >

> > Any advice on diagnosing or correcting the problem is greatly
> > appreciated. As of now, I can't send any email!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> >> It would be helpful if you provided at least some basic information such
> >> as:
> >> 1. Outlook version
> >> 2. Mail account type
> >> 3. Information store
> >> 4. The steps used to break Outlook. I suspect this didn't just start
> >> happening on its own for no reason.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> <yofnik@comcast.net> wrote in message

0
yofnik (16)
10/1/2006 4:44:11 PM
Creating a new .pst file has nothing to do with a new mail profile.  =
Create your new mail profile here:
=20
Control Panel->Mail Icon->Profiles->New. =20

Configure it to use your current .pst file.  This normally fixes =
problems with the autocomplete cache as well as a number of other =
problems with a corrupt profile.

--=81
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading. =20

After furious head scratching, yofnik@comcast.net asked:

| It occurs as soon as I type the first letter of the recipients
| address. There is no error message other than the typical "Outlook
| experienced a problem and needs to close".
|=20
| I already tried creating a new PST file. That did not help. I also had
| the feeling it was something to do with autocomplete. Is there a way
| to clear that cache or is creating a new profile the only way?
|=20
|=20
| Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
|| Does this occur as soon as you start typing or after you exit the
|| To: field? Do you get any error message at all? If not, what do you
|| see in Event viewer?
|| I would start by creating a new profile from scratch with a new
|| name. You may have a problem with your autocompletion cache.
|| --
|| Russ Valentine
|| [MVP-Outlook]
|| <yofnik@comcast.net> wrote in message
||| Hello. Sorry for the lack of info.
|||=20
||| I am using Outlook 2003. I am connecting to a POP email server
||| (comcast) and have a normal PST outlook file. I have no idea what
||| caused the problem to occur. It honestly just started without any
||| action that I am aware of. If I try to send a new email I get the
||| normal "new message" window. As soon as I start typing the recipient
||| address, Outlook just crashes. I get a "Report this Error to
||| Microsoft" dialog, but Outlook restarts before I see any results of
||| it. This problem occurs whether I select to use Word to compose my
||| email or not.=20
|||=20
|||=20
||| Any advice on diagnosing or correcting the problem is greatly
||| appreciated. As of now, I can't send any email!
|||=20
||| Thanks.
|||=20
0
MillyS (3228)
10/1/2006 4:57:15 PM
I already told you how to do that. I said to create a new profile, not a new
PST file. This has nothing to do with the PST file. Creating a new profile
will create a new autocompletion cache and establish a new connection to it.
Milly has told you how. It is easier than clearing your cache, which will
not likely fix the problem either.
--
> It occurs as soon as I type the first letter of the recipients address.
> There is no error message other than the typical "Outlook experienced a
> problem and needs to close".
>
> I already tried creating a new PST file. That did not help. I also had
> the feeling it was something to do with autocomplete. Is there a way to
> clear that cache or is creating a new profile the only way?
>

> Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>> Does this occur as soon as you start typing or after you exit the To:
>> field?
>> Do you get any error message at all? If not, what do you see in Event
>> viewer?
>> I would start by creating a new profile from scratch with a new name. You
>> may have a problem with your autocompletion cache.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> <yofnik@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Hello. Sorry for the lack of info.
>> >
>> > I am using Outlook 2003. I am connecting to a POP email server
>> > (comcast) and have a normal PST outlook file. I have no idea what
>> > caused the problem to occur. It honestly just started without any
>> > action that I am aware of. If I try to send a new email I get the
>> > normal "new message" window. As soon as I start typing the recipient
>> > address, Outlook just crashes. I get a "Report this Error to Microsoft"
>> > dialog, but Outlook restarts before I see any results of it. This
>> > problem occurs whether I select to use Word to compose my email or not.
>> >

>> > Any advice on diagnosing or correcting the problem is greatly
>> > appreciated. As of now, I can't send any email!
>> >
>> > Thanks.

0
russval1 (2100)
10/1/2006 8:25:20 PM
Your AutoCompletion LIst for Outlook 2003 is:

C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\<profile_name>.NK2

If you delete this file (rename is better until you have it fixed), Outlook
will recreate when started.  You then will start from scratch.  The list
also has a limit - 1000.

You can read more about this here:

http://www.outlookpower.com/issues/issue200506/00001584001.html

<yofnik@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Every time I try to send an email message in Outlook, it crashes as
> soon as I start typing in the recipient address. Does anyone know what
> could be causing this and how to fix it? I do not have any Add-Ins
> installed.
>
> Thanks.

outlook 2003 #186
What is the name of the file where are my address book and emails stored? It's not the same as prior versions of outlook. Thanks, John G. It is the *.pst file in the local folder under document and settings/user name/local setting/application data/microsoft/outlook.. Thanks for your support. jagaman >-----Original Message----- >What is the name of the file where are my address book >and emails stored? It's not the same as prior versions >of outlook. > >Thanks, > >John G. > > >. > ...

Outlook 2002 question #4
Hi. My Outlook 2002 used to show whether I had replied to a message and on what date in a yellow bar across the top part of the preview pane. I can't seem to find out how to get that to show again. Does anyone know how to set this option up? I have looked all around in the menus and such but cannot see where to do this. Thanks Robin Anyone know the answer to this problem? Robin "Robin" <me5@privacy.net> wrote in message news:W8qdnXfkXPysoUPeRVn-rw@comcast.com... > Hi. My Outlook 2002 used to show whether I had replied to a message and > on > what date in...

Re: Outlook 2007 create background
I played around with this further. You can still use any HTML editor to = create stationery and place it in the user's Stationery folder. You can = also use FrontPage 2003 to create new themes with background images. = Details at = http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C1013F1F9A99E3D8!230.e= ntry --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =...

ms outlook faxing rendering problems
When I scan a document and send it via ms outlook fax. I get the error message item can not be Rendered any solutions much appreciated A little BASIC information would be helpful first. What version of Outlook/Office/Windows are you using? How are you trying to send the Fax? Are you using the Send To->Fax Printer option? What Fax Program are you using? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding...

hiding sender address in Outlook emails
I don't want my email address to appear in the messages that I send to other people. How can I do this? tomsaar wrote: > I don't want my email address to appear in the messages that I send to other > people. How can I do this? This is not a pro-spamming newsgroup. "tomsaar" <tomsaar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBA59383-FB7F-417F-9ED8-850E2D4C7F6D@microsoft.com... >I don't want my email address to appear in the messages that I send to other > people. How can I do this? If this is a legitimate message, then th...

Mail go's to Badmail "This message does not have any recipients"
The problem I have is that email is being placed in the bad mail folder without an NDR. This email is send by our backup software ever night. When I check in the Bad mail dir the error listed is "This message does not have any recipients" Anyone have any ideas? ...

Outlook 2003, Relaying denied error, Windows XP
I seem to have a problem when Outlook 2003 is first opened that it will not allow an email with an attachment to be sent. A 'Relaying denied' error message comes up. If I send an email without attachment this works OK and triggers the Norton anit virus software to check email before sent. After this the problem seems to go away i.e. I can now send attachments. Any ideas on why this error occurrs ? Is there a setup feature I've missed ? Have you set up authentication to your outgoing server ("More Settings..." on your account page, go to the "Outgoing Server&qu...

Outlook Connector for Hotmail & Outlook 2007
I couldnt synchronize properly with my hotmail account and my calendars, tasks, contacts doesnt sync the current connector doesn't work with outlook 2007 - you need to wait for an updated version of the connector. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com...

Replying to Individual in Newsgroup using Outlook, with O.E. as NG reader
I'm using Outlook 2000 sp1 for E-mailing. It's set-up to use Outlook Express 6 as the newsgroup reader (whilst calling itself Outlook Newsreader). I recently wanted to reply to an individual in a thread. Everything seemed to go okay until I checked the 'Sent Items' of Outlook. There was an E-mail to the individual, but none of the text that I'd included was there, only the original newsgroup message. Does anybody know what's going on, how to fix it, or has anybody got any suggestions ? Thanks in Advance Duncan Anderson O/S = Win X/P home sp1 I think this happens be...

Outlook 2000 Starts with Information Box
On some computers running NT4 and Exchange 5.5 with XP pro Clients A message box appears about macros added to additional files, why does this box appear? and how do I stop it from appearing every time I sart Outlook 2000? Please state the full error you get. You can control macro's in Outlook by Tools-> Macro-> Security -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003 Subscribe to the new...

Question about moving Outlook 2003 from an old computer to a new one
Microsoft Office Assistance has the following article, which describes the details for moving Outlook 2000 to a new computer: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010549451033.aspx I was wondering what, if anything, has changed for Outlook 2003? I'm asking only becuase I can't find a similar article, and I'm going to need to do this later next week. Thanks! Larry Larry Kahm <lkahm@nospam_heliotropicsystems.com> wrote: > Microsoft Office Assistance has the following article, which > describes the details for moving Outlook 2000 to a new computer: &g...

query-based distribution group not showing in Outlook
Software: Exchange 2003 standard and Outlook 2003 I have created a query-based distribution group and it isn't showing up in Outlook Address Book. If I create Distribution groups they show up in the Address Book. How do I get the query based groups to show in the Address Book? Under Exchange Advanced I have confirmed that the check box to hide list is unchecked. Thanks, Colin M. On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:54:52 -0800, "Colin" <legendsfan@nospam.nospam> wrote: >Software: Exchange 2003 standard and Outlook 2003 > >I have created a query-based distribution ...

!!HELP!! OWA ans Outlook do not synch
OK so I rebuilt my SBS 2003 server and used Exmerge to exmerge all my users mailboxes out. Successfully exmerged them back into Exchange. Had to recreate new profiles on the users workstations but all appears to be good. One slight problem. For my external users who use Citrix and log onto the Citrix server desktop they cannot use Outlook there. I do have a case open with Microsoft regarding this issue however my immediate issue to resolve is why I can log on as a user here in the office, open Outlook and all their mail is there. However when I use OWA the mailbox is incomplete. Does no...

Problem with Outlook e-mail after installing Microsoft Publisher
I have not been able to send e-mails from Outlook after installing Microsoft Publisher. Any suggestions on how to remedy this sotuation? Are you getting an error? Is Outlook working okay through other programs? The Send This Page as Message command is not available when you click Send E-mail on the File menu in Publisher 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884425 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Techblues" <Techblues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCCE2A75-8...

Promoting and Outlook Email and Creating Contact
After reading an Email in Outlook I promote it to CRM. The author of the Email is not a CRM contact so their name appears in red. Clicking on the authors name, CRM gives the option of reconciling to another contact or creating a new contact record. When I select a new contact record, why doesn't CRM populate the name and Email address just like when you create a contact from an Email in Outlook? Why should I have to go back and look up the Email address from the Email itself to place in the CRM Contact record? I'd post that as a suggestion for future product enhancements. Ho...

How Do I Change Where Outlook Store It's Information?
Greetings, I have several profiles in my Outlook 2000. For some reason two of them are using the same .pst file. Is there somewhere in Outlook that I can change the default .pst file name where that profile stores information? Any help would be most appreciated. TIA -Minitman Change the pst-file name or location to anything or anywhere you want. When you start Outlook it will prompt you for the file. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Create your own fully custom...

Outlook 2003 Hangs on download of email
Upgraded to Office 2003 and since installing, junkmail mail hangs up on the server. I am forced to go to the ISP and delete the mail from that location. I have tried with the junkmail filter both on and off. Sometimes it hangs and just sends multiple copies of other messages that download prior to it getting to the offending junkmail. I had no problem with the Office XP version of Outlook. Comcast offers no assistance; and to top it off, the Microsoft support site does not recognize the product ID from my new office product. Any ideas out there? Thanks, Doug ...

Outlook #244
I am not quite sure what I did, but the last time I tried to start Outlook, it asks me set up Outlook. I am afraid I lost my address book. With Windows XP and Outlook 2000, using windows explorer, where do I go to find the folder that the Outlook address file is in? Would incoming mail be included in this folder, and how would these files be labeled? Please help. Wes Wes Morgan <morgans@efn.org> wrote: > I am not quite sure what I did, but the last time I tried > to start Outlook, it asks me set up Outlook. I am afraid I > lost my address book. With Windows XP and Outlo...

Outlook 2000 and Win XP
I have a Laptop with Windows XP Professional and Outlook 2000 SP-3. About 3-4 times a day the user cannot open the GAL. I have to delete and then reconfigure the profile. At which time the GAL works for another couple of hours. Do you know of any issues. ...

Outlook 2007 CRM error
I get an error when starting Outlook that I have no CRM functionality, event ID 5897 shows up in the app logs with an autentication error message 0x8007002. Any ideas on what I should be looking for or how to fix this? ...

Outlook gone wild??
Hi all, I had to reinstall my outlook 2003 on my new computer after my old on fried. After the install, I set up my email address, and did a send/receive. This is what happened after that. emails download, then disappear. Opening inbox, I get "search root" Open task, I get notes Open calendar, unable to display folder Open notes: I get journal Open deleted items and I get outlook today. Anyone know what's going on here? Thanks for your help, jojo jojo <cgv_2000@*remove your hat*yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi all, I had to reinstall my outlook 2003 on my new computer aft...

Cannot Close Outlook 2007. it keeps recovering info and restarting
Hi, I installed Windows Update KB980248 and updated the Bluetooth device driver three days ago. But since then I found I could not close Outlook. Every time I clicked close on top right corner, the main window closed but the outlook icon on the tray did not go away. Instead, it gave out a dialog saying 'Outlook stopped working', and then another dialog 'Outlook is trying to recover your information', followed by a dialog 'Outlook is restarting'. Then it restarted and the full window came back. I have been using Outlook 2007 for more than 2 years and it...

Outlook Grant Request:
The Honorable Microsoft : I want applying a grant of Outlook software request, if I can have a full version of Microsoft Outlook with stationery functions. I need having Office Professional 2003 with Outlook for my nomination requests. If I could have Microsoft Outlook for my personal needs with stuffs. Please help me to get these products to be mailing address. Please reply this question, I need to hear from there for my preparation job included Outlook request: David Johnson ...

Outlook 2007 Delegate not receiving invite emails
One of my assistants is not always receiving meeting invites (on behalf of) from our clients even though the executive she supports has her as a delegate. They are both using Outlook 2007 on a 2007 exchange server. Any ideas or others having this trouble? ...

Outlook accessing Eudora
This has happened before. There are 2 of us, one uses outlook and I use Eudora...again Outlook is doing the default email client thing and accessing my email to his account...GRRRR! Does anyone know how to stop this? There are two sides of the computer using XP Pro...I simply do not understand why they set outlook up like this?! Is it to keep us from using other non Microsoft products???? HELP PLEASE! ...