Outlook converts my HTML email to text

But only occasionally, and I have to click on the message bar and
choose Display as HTML to see it as it was meant to be seen.  How can I
stop Outlook from arbitrarily displaying HTML email as text?

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.

Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html
0
me7986 (249)

Why would you want to view mail in HTML? That is dangerous. All mail should
be read and replied to in plain text for security reasons.
"Dena Jo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> But only occasionally, and I have to click on the message bar and
> choose Display as HTML to see it as it was meant to be seen.  How can I
> stop Outlook from arbitrarily displaying HTML email as text?
>
> --
> Dena Jo
>
> Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
>
> Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html

0
melelina1 (5)
5/27/2006 11:25:42 PM
HTML mail is not dangerous. What makes you think that it is?=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
"Melelina" <melelina@medscape.com> wrote in message =
> Why would you want to view mail in HTML? That is dangerous. All mail =
should=20
> be read and replied to in plain text for security reasons.
> "Dena Jo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message=20
>> But only occasionally, and I have to click on the message bar and
>> choose Display as HTML to see it as it was meant to be seen.  How can =
>> stop Outlook from arbitrarily displaying HTML email as text?
>>
>> --=20
>> Dena Jo
>>
>> Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
>>
>> Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html=20
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)
5/28/2006 12:28:45 AM
"Dena Jo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> But only occasionally, and I have to click on the message bar and
> choose Display as HTML to see it as it was meant to be seen.  How can
> stop Outlook from arbitrarily displaying HTML email as text?

Well, maybe that so-called HTML content isn't local within the e-mail
message itself and is instead linked back to some site to display the
graphic image that contains what appears to you to be text.  That means
the site can track that you opened their e-mail through the use of their
web beacon (the graphic image that their server sent to your host).  If
you have Outlook configured to use the Restricted Sites security zone
(which should be set to is default High level) then viewing HTML-coded
e-mails is safe - except when someone finds a flaw, like the prior hack
of corrupting the rendering engine back in the graphics engine in
Windows (so you were okay unless you viewed pictures).  You should've
been visiting the WU site to get the updates to prevent that hack but
there is the possibility that another comes along.

Text mode is safe.  HTML mode usually is safe (under the Restricted
Sites security zone) until someone finds a workaround but *none* of the
security zone prevent against the use of web beacons in HTML-formatted
e-mails; however, the block on linked images will prevent web beacons
but it is probably also why you get the yellow infobar asking if you
want to view that linked content.  With that option enabled in Outlook,
you can still view HTML-formatted e-mails provided all the HTML code is
local within the message and not linked to some external source.

Post replies to the newsgroup.  Share with others.

With such astounding ignorance displayed, I have no idea where to start! Do
you know anything about computer security?  Why don't you start reading the
dslreports.com security forum and Wilderssecurity.com and castlecops.com and
get some much needed education?

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
HTML mail is not dangerous. What makes you think that it is?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Melelina" <melelina@medscape.com> wrote in message
> Why would you want to view mail in HTML? That is dangerous. All mail
> should
> be read and replied to in plain text for security reasons.
> "Dena Jo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> But only occasionally, and I have to click on the message bar and
>> choose Display as HTML to see it as it was meant to be seen.  How can I
>> stop Outlook from arbitrarily displaying HTML email as text?
>>
>> --
>> Dena Jo
>>
>> Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
>>
>> Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html

0
melelina1 (5)
5/28/2006 9:26:33 AM
I've been following Outlook security issues for nearly 10 years now. =
Outlook blocks HTML scripts and  executable attachments. The last =
significant vulnerability was eliminated years ago when the <iframe> tag =
was blocked. Potential vulnerabilities (none found in the wild that I =
can recall) are addressed with the occasional security patch for IE or =
Word, although we could all wish for those to come faster.=20

If you know of an instance in the past 5 years when an HTML message by =
itself caused an actual -- not a theoretical -- problem on a system =
running a fully patched, current version of Outlook, I'm sure we'd all =
be able to learn something from it, but I don't recall such a case. I'm =
always willing to learn, though.=20

> With such astounding ignorance displayed, I have no idea where to =
start! Do=20
> you know anything about computer security?  Why don't you start =
reading the=20
> dslreports.com security forum and Wilderssecurity.com and =
castlecops.com and=20
> get some much needed education?
>=20
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message=20
> HTML mail is not dangerous. What makes you think that it is?
>=20
> "Melelina" <melelina@medscape.com> wrote in message=20
>> Why would you want to view mail in HTML? That is dangerous. All mail=20
>> should
>> be read and replied to in plain text for security reasons.
>> "Dena Jo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> But only occasionally, and I have to click on the message bar and
>>> choose Display as HTML to see it as it was meant to be seen.  How =
can I
>>> stop Outlook from arbitrarily displaying HTML email as text?
>>>
>>> --=20
>>> Dena Jo
>>>
>>> Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
>>>
>>> Plonk the bastards:  http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html
>>
>>=20
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)
5/28/2006 12:59:57 PM
I've been following Outlook security issues for nearly 10 years now.
Outlook blocks HTML scripts and  executable attachments. The last
significant vulnerability was eliminated years ago when the <iframe> tag
was blocked. Potential vulnerabilities (none found in the wild that I
can recall) are addressed with the occasional security patch for IE or
Word, although we could all wish for those to come faster.

If you know of an instance in the past 5 years when an HTML message by
itself caused an actual -- not a theoretical -- problem on a system
running a fully patched, current version of Outlook, I'm sure we'd all
be able to learn something from it, but I don't recall such a case. I'm
always willing to learn, though.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Melelina" <melelina@medscape.com> wrote in message
> With such astounding ignorance displayed, I have no idea where to
> start! Do
> you know anything about computer security?  Why don't you start
> reading the
> dslreports.com security forum and Wilderssecurity.com and
> castlecops.com and
> get some much needed education?
>
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
> HTML mail is not dangerous. What makes you think that it is?
>
> "Melelina" <melelina@medscape.com> wrote in message
>> Why would you want to view mail in HTML? That is dangerous. All mail
>> should
>> be read and replied to in plain text for security reasons.
>> "Dena Jo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> But only occasionally, and I have to click on the message bar and
>>> choose Display as HTML to see it as it was meant to be seen.  How
>>> can I
>>> stop Outlook from arbitrarily displaying HTML email as text?

The last security flaw that I heard about was the one involving images.
If the e-mail client displayed the image, it was possible to infiltrate
the host.  However, that really wasn't a fault in Outlook.  That was a
fault in the graphics engine back in Windows, so the infiltration
occurred in any e-mail client that showed the image.  The infiltration
occurred even when no e-mail client was used and the user simply opened
the image file.  The file didn't even have to come via an e-mail client.
Some nasty web sites used the technique in the graphics they showed on
their pages.

Only ignorant users would *change* the security zone from Restricted
Sites to Internet.  Some do because they want Javascript or applets
running in their e-mails but then they have deliberately chosen to
reduce security.  The default in Outlook is to render HTML-formatted
e-mails in the Restricted Sites security zone, and the default for the
Restricted Sites security zone is at its High settings level.  If you
reduce either of those, you are the idiot for doing so and shouldn't
waste anyone's time whining about infections because of YOUR choices to
reduce security.

The only remaining security hole that none of the security zones address
is the use of the web beacon (or web bug).  None of them restrict linked
content, like a graphic image (which you may not even see since it could
be one pixel that is the same color as the background).  It wasn't until
the option got added to Outlook [Express] to block Internet content that
this hole got addressed.  I don't remember if it was set by default, so
check that it is set.  If you really need to see those linked images,
you get an infobar to make that choice, but it is still YOUR choice to
go yank those images from someone else's server that can track that you
yanked those images.

So, Melelina, rather than spew vaguities regarding what you aggregated
from others' posts, please explain to us just how HTML-formatted e-mails
can cause harm?  With settings of Restricted Sites at its High level and
with the option to block linked content, please favor us with some real
information regarding how HTML-formatted e-mails can cause harm (other
than to bloat a message that could've been easily sent as just plain
text).  We are waiting for some real information, not regurgitation of
some nebulous feelings.  If you have real info on an attack vector
though HTML-formatted e-mails when using Outlook, we would definitely
like to hear about it.

Post replies to the newsgroup.  Share with others.

data input in text box

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

cant start outlook pst file to large

hyperlinking email addresses

Outlook 2003

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

Incoming email slow to come in

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Outlook Express 6 w/multiple accounts

Convert date
How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/jdates.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany gary wrote: > How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a > Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > > For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:24:57 -0700, "gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a >Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > >For exa...

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

Converting XML > Dataset
Hi ! Here's my problem in english :-) I want to convert the mssecure.xml file from Microsoft into an dataset to store it in an SQL-Database. My code in VB looks like this : Dim ds As New DataSet Dim doc As New Xml.XmlDocument doc.Load("D:\mssecure.xml") Dim sReader As New StringReader(doc.InnerXml) ds.ReadXml(sReader) The problem is : At the ds.readxml(sreader) command i get an error which told me, that there is an problem whith a relationship in "ProductFamilies" I hope my english is good enough to explain... Please help ! Thanks !!! Christoph Duesmann C...

Using Visio HTML output within frames
Hi, I want to include visio HTML output in a frame of another html file. Unfortunately it is not working. I understood the problem is in vml_*.htm files. It is due to, the target arrtibute(pointing to _parent) in v:shapetype tag and href attribute (pointing to #) in v:shape tag. These attributes should point to "_top" and "<target-html-file>#" respectively inorder to work. I want to change these options while saving .vsd as web page? I would appreciate if you can help me in this regard. <v:shapetype id="VISSHAPE" target="_parent" coor...

Outlook OOF