Outlook continues to run in the background after exiting program

Hello all,

I am having a problem with Outlook XP on my home
computer.  I am running Windows XP Professional with
Service Pack 1 and all security and critical updates
installed on this machine.

Recently, I have noticed that Outlook continues to check
for e-mail or bring up event alerts even after I have
exited the program using the Exit option in the File
menu.  When I bring up the Task Manager and check the
running processes, I find OUTLOOK.EXE still running in the
background.  I then force the program to quit to stop
Outlook from checking for new e-mails or bringing up event
alerts.

First of all, has anybody experienced this problem before?

Second, what are some possible causes for this issue?

Finally, how do I fix the stupid thing???

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Gamin

Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click
either the X or Exit:

1.  PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle.
2.  WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) - contact their support
for an alleged fix.
3.  Franklin-Cover Plan Plus!
4.  COM Add-ins.
5.  Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook open in the background
to check for new mail and fire reminders.
6.  Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set to scan incoming and outgoing
mail.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Kevin Gamin asked:

| Hello all,
|
| I am having a problem with Outlook XP on my home
| computer.  I am running Windows XP Professional with
| Service Pack 1 and all security and critical updates
| installed on this machine.
|
| Recently, I have noticed that Outlook continues to check
| for e-mail or bring up event alerts even after I have
| exited the program using the Exit option in the File
| menu.  When I bring up the Task Manager and check the
| running processes, I find OUTLOOK.EXE still running in the
| background.  I then force the program to quit to stop
| Outlook from checking for new e-mails or bringing up event
| alerts.
|
| First of all, has anybody experienced this problem before?
|
| Second, what are some possible causes for this issue?
|
| Finally, how do I fix the stupid thing???
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Kevin Gamin

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
7/7/2004 2:58:49 PM
There are 3rd party applications that can keep Outlook resident.  Some (but
not limited to) are WinFax Pro, ActiveSync, and antivirus packages.

"Kevin Gamin" <kevingamin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am having a problem with Outlook XP on my home
> computer.  I am running Windows XP Professional with
> Service Pack 1 and all security and critical updates
> installed on this machine.
>
> Recently, I have noticed that Outlook continues to check
> for e-mail or bring up event alerts even after I have
> exited the program using the Exit option in the File
> menu.  When I bring up the Task Manager and check the
> running processes, I find OUTLOOK.EXE still running in the
> background.  I then force the program to quit to stop
> Outlook from checking for new e-mails or bringing up event
> alerts.
>
> First of all, has anybody experienced this problem before?
>
> Second, what are some possible causes for this issue?
>
> Finally, how do I fix the stupid thing???
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kevin Gamin

0
neoheart (690)
7/7/2004 2:59:13 PM
Thanks!  Looks like either 1 (Palm HotSync), 5 (I can turn=20
this off), or 6 (Norton Anti-Virus 2004 Pro).  I'll fiddle=20
around a little and see if I can get things to work the=20
way I want them to.

completely when you click=20
>either the X or Exit:
>
>1.  PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the=20
cradle.
>2.  WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) -=20
contact their support=20
>for an alleged fix.
>3.  Franklin-Cover Plan Plus!
>4.  COM Add-ins.
>5.  Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook=20
open in the background=20
>to check for new mail and fire reminders.
>6.  Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set to scan=20
incoming and outgoing=20
>mail.
>

>--=81
>Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
>Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion=20
intact.  Due to
>the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent=20
to my personal
>account will be deleted without reading.
>
>After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer,=20
Kevin Gamin asked:

>| Hello all,
>|
>| I am having a problem with Outlook XP on my home
>| computer.  I am running Windows XP Professional with
>| Service Pack 1 and all security and critical updates
>| installed on this machine.
>|
>| Recently, I have noticed that Outlook continues to check
>| for e-mail or bring up event alerts even after I have
>| exited the program using the Exit option in the File
>| menu.  When I bring up the Task Manager and check the
>| running processes, I find OUTLOOK.EXE still running in=20
the
>| background.  I then force the program to quit to stop
>| Outlook from checking for new e-mails or bringing up=20
event
>| alerts.
>|
>| First of all, has anybody experienced this problem=20
before?

>| Second, what are some possible causes for this issue?
>|
>| Finally, how do I fix the stupid thing???
>|
>| Thanks in advance,
>|
>| Kevin Gamin=20
>

>.

"Kevin Gamin" <kevingamin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am having a problem with Outlook XP on my home
> computer.  I am running Windows XP Professional with
> Service Pack 1 and all security and critical updates
> installed on this machine.
>
> Recently, I have noticed that Outlook continues to check
> for e-mail or bring up event alerts even after I have
> exited the program using the Exit option in the File
> menu.  When I bring up the Task Manager and check the
> running processes, I find OUTLOOK.EXE still running in the
> background.  I then force the program to quit to stop
> Outlook from checking for new e-mails or bringing up event
> alerts.
>
> First of all, has anybody experienced this problem before?
>
> Second, what are some possible causes for this issue?
>
> Finally, how do I fix the stupid thing???

That's funny.  I have the opposite problem, I want outlook to continue
running in the backgrounds waiting for email, watching my schedule
for alarms, etc.  but I keep accidentally closing it!

I asked this question in a new thread, so don't answer here.

0
nospam7515 (2084)

Set up email accout in Outlook 2003
I'm using cox high-speed internet and want to use Outlook 2003 to view my email. How do I do this? do you have outlook configured to receive email from cox high speed or have alread done this? "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D86EB69-B86B-4A1A-808E-79AE12FA833F@microsoft.com... > I'm using cox high-speed internet and want to use Outlook 2003 to view my > email. How do I do this? Follow the instructions your ISP provides. This is not an Outlook question. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Karen" <Karen@discussi...

CDialog::DoModal() failing when the application is run with Purify ON
Hi, I'm trying to run my application with Purify ON and CDialog::DoModal() is failing(returns -1). If I turn OFF purify and then try to run the application its runs perfectly fine. The application is run in the debug mode and all the libraries except one,that are used by the application is in debug mode too. Also when I try to run the application in the release mode with Purify ON, it runs fine Thanks in advance What error do you get? You should see it in the output window (see the documentation of DoModal). Have you tried single-stepping into DoModal to see what is failing? joe...

Running Excel Pivot Table with Local cube on http:// Sub-Web???
Hello I have a SQL 2000 local cube that I created on my computer that is accessed by an Excel (XP) pivot table workbook. I would like to place & run both on a secure sub-web on my company http:// website. Both files were FTP'ed to the sub-web successfully. When opening the Excel file I am prompted for the local cube: the prompt is referencing the cube location on my computer where it was originally created with SQL 2000. I am unable to point it to the sub-web location. It appears that the Excel workbook has hard coded the original cube location back to my computer. Is there a way ...

Office Outlook 2007
In Task section, when you click on your client and add photos of their purchases, they just show as generic icons. Is it possible to make them show as real thumbnails? Annoys me a lot being an artist. You are in the wrong newsgroup Try here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook.general&cat=en_US_db03bd1f-73aa-41e1-abfd-27a6e3c352e5&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Marice" <Marice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E96D9300-619C-43C2-8503-17C12A2883CB@microsoft.com... ...

Outlook 2003 Rules Confusing
I have a series of rules, some dealing with spam filtering and others dealing with organizing mail to different accounts to go into different inboxes. I'm trying to figure out the ordering of rules because the following is happening. An email comes into account X - Rule says move it to Inbox X The same email contains some words identified as spam mail - Rule says move it to Junk Folder Problem: I end up with two copies of email - one in Junk Folder (correct action) and one in my Inbox X (wrong action). It doesn't seem to matter which rule I have first. I would have thought that...

Outlook is starting up very slow
Hello What's wrong with my Outlook ? It take salmost 2 minutes to open and to see my e-mail And i even do not automatically get check for new mail I just wait 2 mins and then hit the send/receive button That also takes maybe 2 to 3 minutes to get all my e-mails in Maybe my inbox is too big ? There are maybe 900 emails in it The oldest email in it is almost one year old. How can i make my inbox smaller and still have fast access to these e-mails ? Another issue: I have 19 e-mail accounts. Does that influence the speed ? Version of OL? The size of the pst is? (Properties) in mb ...

PROBLEMS CLOSING OUTLOOK
When I close down Outlook it looks like it closes the normal way but when I go to shut down my computer I ALWAYS get an error box that pops up and says: end program - OUTLOOK.EXE Then I click on end program and it says it can't end program and the computer shuts down. ?????????? Please HELP!!! Please post your Outlook version when posting to this group. There are currently 5 versions and 7 modes of Outlook so making us guess is not nice. :) Common reasons why Outlook does not close cleanly (depends on versions also) 1. PDA docked and set to synch continuously 2. Fax softwar...

outlook rules question
is there a way to specify to look for a word in a subject/body from the beginning of a line etc. ppcguy <goahead@hehe.com> wrote: > is there a way to specify to look for > a word in a subject/body from the beginning > of a line etc. No. -- Brian Tillman Yes I use this type of rule on the subject line and it is also available looking for a word in either the subject or the body. First serach for the word plus a space say "Outlook " then specify what action you want and then when you click next specify the exception which in this case wouldd be " Outlook...

Outlook sync error
I have installed Activsync 3.7, and I can connect to my HP 5450 no problem, until I tick the sync with notes box then I get the following OUTLOOK error? "Synchronization cannot be started because you are not able to log on to the network and access information. Restart your desktop computer and synchronize again. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator. I have restarted six times and no change. Please has anyone got any ideas, I am running Windows XP, Office XP and norton internet security. Thanks Shane You might want to post this to microsoft.public.pocketpc.a...

Outlook 2003 Group View
Outlook 2003 currently groups by the day. Is there any way to set up group by the week instead of the day. Any advice would be appreciated. "Jerry" <Jerry@nospam.com> wrote in message news:Xns9B8E80E2D9C6Ajonseynospamherecom@216.196.97.131... > Outlook 2003 currently groups by the day. Is there any way to set up > group > by the week instead of the day. I don't think that's possible. The "Group By Date" filter will show you "Last Week", "Two Weeks Ago", "Three Weeks Ago", and "Last Month" as well as ...

printing emails in outlook (2000/2002)
I am trying to find a simple way to print only the first page of an received email. I cannot seem to figure it out. whether the email is in html, plain or rich text, I cannot print only the first page. any ideas/tricks? thanks davit ...

exporting contacts from newer Outlook to older Outlook
A friend is attempting to copy his Contacts from one Outlook installation to another. He exported his Contacts to a *.pst file and then attempted to import them but got a message to the effect that the pst file was not compatible with the version of Outlook he was attempting to import into. The receiving Outlook is Outlook 2002. He isn't sure, but thinks that the originating Outlook is Outlook 2003. What's the recommended way to get Contacts from a newer version, such as Outlook 2003, into Outlook 2002? -- Lem Lem wrote: > A friend is attempting to copy his Contacts fro...

outlook blocked access to potentially unsafe item, archive .pst
Tried to open archive in outlook 2003 said file was enormous. "Egro" <Egro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8BC04C1-B005-43CF-ABA5-9C171EA74B9F@microsoft.com... > Tried to open archive in outlook 2003 said file was enormous. As far as I can tell, there is no error message in Outlook 2003 that states a file "is enormous". You should zip a PST before sending or rename it to, say, ".psx" or ".ps_" before you send it. The recipient can undo the steps you took to send it. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachment blah.url
How do I lower security settings in order to receive all attachments?? What version of Outlook? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Googy <googy55@pacbell.net> asked: | How do I lower security settings in order to receive all attachments?? Me to. I have Outlook XP and getting quit tired of not being able to get need attachments. I hope somebody has the answer. OL 2000 SP-3 Corproate/Workgroup with security update Thanks GG "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook...

Miscellaneous Questions for Outlook Gurus
Will be impressed if anyone can get all of these. I'm using Outlook 2007 (in Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro via Parallels)... 1) It seems that e-mail search presents two options, "current folder" and "all folders." Is there a way to search/select "current folder and all subfolders"? 2) Often times when I switch from Mail to Calendar or Mail to Contacts, and then switch back to Mail, I find that some of my e-mail account groups have been collapsed. This seems to happen for no apparent reason and gets rather frustrating. It's an issue I ha...

Is this program good for labels??
I was just wondering which microsoft program is the fastest and most compatable for making many, many labels at one time, Word, Excel, or Publisher? If anyone would like to help me through this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Again. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/publisher/200508/1 A lot depends on what is the format of the label sheet or if it's pinfeed, the text formatting and if there are any graphics. What is the format of the data at this time? Personally I prefer Publisher. -- Ron "Kelsey P via OfficeKB.com" <...

RMS needs to add an Import Utility to the program
I think I speak for alot of people here. RMS should add an import Utility to the program. Every body needs to import some type of file from time to time. You pay enoght money for this and they know from the start that you will be importing data from your old POS system. Or like in my case, every year I have new items or a new supplier. and for me to get an Add in that may or maynot work is not good enoght. Jose -- Reynold Cycle I agree totally but, for me, the main attraction of RMS over similar solutions was the open SQL Server database and the ability to customise. You can downlo...

bmp files in Excel Hyperlinks open with wrong program
I have a list of tools in Excel, and I have used Excel's hyperlinking feature to allow displaying a picture of the tool by clicking the link. They always open with Paint, regardless of what I do in the "Folder Options >> File Types" box. I have customized the .BMP file type by adding "Edit with Paint" and "Edit with PhotoEditor" entries to the default settings. Does Excel look for the entry actually labeled "Open" or does it just grab the first entry from the list? (in this case, "Edit with Paint" is first, because they are ...

Does Entourage in Mac Office '08 work with Mac Mail or is it a separate mail program?
I currently have three email accounts in order to keep interests separated; although lately it has gotten confusing to do so. My .Mac account is used to correspond with Apple when I have computer related issues. My Mac Mail (regular iMac Tiger program) is used for regular every day correspondence. I also have installed Nova- Parallels with Windows XP Home on the iMac and I have MS Office 2000 Premium installed and utilize Outlook email for a past time interest in aviation groups. It is with Outlook that I have questions. I am interested in updating my use of MS Office and am considering get...

Outlook 2002
I use outlook 2002 on a Windows NT SP6a machine. While using outlook, i have noticed that sometimes the keys c, v, t and h stop working. however, i can use them in notepad. i can also use them in outlook if i put the caps lock on and use the shift key. if i restart outlook, the problem goes away. sometimes the problem goes away as well on its own without having to restart. any idea what is happening? language is set as english (Australia) ...

Outlook 2000, large pst file slow to open or corrupt
Hi, this is a very frustratring problem I hope someone canhelp us with. I've established that the outlook.pst file is either too large of corrupt. I've run scanpst which found no problem, the pst file is 2gb! should this cause a problem? I can't reduce the size of the file, although is will open, it won't let me delete of move anything or even archive - reporting that it can;t access the pst file although I can open it and browse contacts and messages (it's very slow doing this though) How can I reduce the size of this file in another way? See if this info helps: http:...

Add more than one series to a pivot chart using VB MS Access continued...
I'm trying to programmatically create a stacked bar pivot chart. Using "Programming Microsoft Office Access 2003" by Rick Dobson, I've created the chart. However, it doesn't distinguish between the different values for the series. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to create a chart using one column containing three values for the series? Essentially, this is a continuation of a previous post: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.access.formscoding/browse_thread/thread/e23f3506a6d561a0/674295d410a71cf9%23674295d410a71cf9" Any help is greatly appre...

Outlook System Folders
Does anyone know how i can rename the Contacts folder in Outlook 2000 without having to re-install office. This is a system folder and it will not allow you to rename or delete it. ...

Outlook 2002 needs to close error message
I am a new user and am using in combination with ACT!. Outlook 2002 does two things consistently which slows down my work: 1. 2-3 times an hour I receive the message "Outlook 2002 needs to close" this often happens in the middle of writing an email or saving contacts to ACT! 2. Each time I close out of Outlook it sends an error saying that it needs to restart the session, do I want to send a report? (I've sent dozens.) I end up waiting for the restart and then closing which it does promptly. How do I eliminate these problems, especially #1? Thank you ...

End Program Hanging...after using Money Deluxe
After using MS Money Deluxe, Win XP, All files are current and up to date : When I close Money and want to shut the computer down I get a message pop up, End Program : 5A25A898 THAT HANGS, Then I get another END PROGRAM: MCI Command Handling. Then I invoke Task Manager to end all tasks and the computer shuts down. Any suggestions. Thanks In Advance In microsoft.public.money, Birdflu wrote: >After using MS Money Deluxe, Win XP, All files are current and up to date : > >When I close Money and want to shut the computer down I get a message pop >up, End Program : 5A25A898 THAT...