Outlook contacts list issue

I am in the process of recovering data from an anchange disaster.  I had all 
of the mailboxes recovered and are all in PST files.  I am now going through 
and showing users how to import their calendars, contacts, mail etc.  When a 
user imports his/her contacts, everything goes fine until they try to use 
those contacts through the address book.  The address book does not show any 
contacts added by the import.  Any newly created contacts are visible.  I 
have found that if I change the email address of an imported contact, that 
contact will then appear in the address book.  This indicates a corruption in 
the email address of the contact.  All of the email addresses appear fine in 
the contact list, so the error must be something else, but related.

Another interesting note is that if I add the contacts folder from the PST 
file to the address book without importing it, all contacts show in the 
address book.  It is only after importing/copying the contacts, that this 
"corruption" occurs.

I need to have these contacts repaired, and cannot do it on a one-by-one 
basis as I have 132 PST files to restore and many of them contain large 
amounts of contacts.
0
1/11/2005 2:47:07 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

4 Replies
320 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 48

Bill Prochazka <BillProchazka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am in the process of recovering data from an anchange disaster.  I
> had all of the mailboxes recovered and are all in PST files.  I am
> now going through and showing users how to import their calendars,
> contacts, mail etc.  When a user imports his/her contacts, everything
> goes fine until they try to use those contacts through the address
> book.  The address book does not show any contacts added by the
> import.

Have one of them try to simply open the PST (File>Open>Outlook Data File) 
and copy the Contacts folder contents from the PST to the mailbox's Contacts 
rather than import.
-- 
Brian Tillman 

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/11/2005 2:58:14 PM
That was the original process I took.  I only looked to importing when 
dealing with calendars as you cannot click and drag all calendar item from 
one calendar to another.

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Bill Prochazka <BillProchazka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> > I am in the process of recovering data from an anchange disaster.  I
> > had all of the mailboxes recovered and are all in PST files.  I am
> > now going through and showing users how to import their calendars,
> > contacts, mail etc.  When a user imports his/her contacts, everything
> > goes fine until they try to use those contacts through the address
> > book.  The address book does not show any contacts added by the
> > import.
> 
> Have one of them try to simply open the PST (File>Open>Outlook Data File) 
> and copy the Contacts folder contents from the PST to the mailbox's Contacts 
> rather than import.
> -- 
> Brian Tillman 
> 
> 
0
1/11/2005 3:07:02 PM
Importing does not solve that problem. You simply need to create an 
unfiltered view of your Calendar to copy its contents. By Category is what 
most of us use.
-- 
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Bill Prochazka" <BillProchazka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:022E0924-B126-474F-921F-BFEC6CC4872F@microsoft.com...
> That was the original process I took.  I only looked to importing when
> dealing with calendars as you cannot click and drag all calendar item from
> one calendar to another.
>
> "Brian Tillman" wrote:
>
>> Bill Prochazka <BillProchazka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I am in the process of recovering data from an anchange disaster.  I
>> > had all of the mailboxes recovered and are all in PST files.  I am
>> > now going through and showing users how to import their calendars,
>> > contacts, mail etc.  When a user imports his/her contacts, everything
>> > goes fine until they try to use those contacts through the address
>> > book.  The address book does not show any contacts added by the
>> > import.
>>
>> Have one of them try to simply open the PST (File>Open>Outlook Data File)
>> and copy the Contacts folder contents from the PST to the mailbox's 
>> Contacts
>> rather than import.
>> -- 
>> Brian Tillman
>>
>> 


0
russval (3097)
1/11/2005 9:37:56 PM
Ok...that is another way of bringing in calendar objects, but my problem is 
not with the calendar, but rather with the contacts not copying correctly.  
When contacts are copied, imported, or moved, they lose something that is 
needed to allow to be displayed in the address list.  Simply opening the 
contact, making any change, and saving will fix the problem.  I need a batch 
way of "fixing" all contacts in a folder.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Importing does not solve that problem. You simply need to create an 
> unfiltered view of your Calendar to copy its contents. By Category is what 
> most of us use.
> -- 
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Bill Prochazka" <BillProchazka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:022E0924-B126-474F-921F-BFEC6CC4872F@microsoft.com...
> > That was the original process I took.  I only looked to importing when
> > dealing with calendars as you cannot click and drag all calendar item from
> > one calendar to another.
> >
> > "Brian Tillman" wrote:
> >
> >> Bill Prochazka <BillProchazka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> > I am in the process of recovering data from an anchange disaster.  I
> >> > had all of the mailboxes recovered and are all in PST files.  I am
> >> > now going through and showing users how to import their calendars,
> >> > contacts, mail etc.  When a user imports his/her contacts, everything
> >> > goes fine until they try to use those contacts through the address
> >> > book.  The address book does not show any contacts added by the
> >> > import.
> >>
> >> Have one of them try to simply open the PST (File>Open>Outlook Data File)
> >> and copy the Contacts folder contents from the PST to the mailbox's 
> >> Contacts
> >> rather than import.
> >> -- 
> >> Brian Tillman
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
1/12/2005 3:19:04 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Convert Excel Tables to Pivot Table Lists
Excel Tables to Pivot Lists Hello, I'm trying to convert excel tables into pivot table lists and I am looking for a method to do this besides cutting and pasting. The table has 6 columns (see below) with count of product for each year e.g. xxx1 prod1 100 in Yr1, 200 in Yr2, 300 in Yr3 etc. I want to end up with a 4 column list like, (see "Get into pivot table list in this form) Thanks Home....Prod....Yr1....Yr2....Yr3....Yr4 xxx1.....prod1....100....200....300....400 xxx2.....prod2....110....210....310....410 xxx1.....prod3....120....220....320....420 xxx2.....prod4....130....2...

Runtime Error when closing OUTLOOK 2k
What's this mean and how to fix? in error dialogue box: "c:\program~1\micro~2 \office\outlook.exe" Abnormal program termination ...

Integration of Java application with Microsoft Outlook 2003
hi, I need to interface my Java application with Microsoft Outlook 2003. I need a set of PIs for that. Can anyobdy guide me in this context? thanx. mulayarvind <arvind.mulay@gmail.com> wrote: > I need to interface my Java application with Microsoft Outlook 2003. I > need a set of PIs for that. Can anyobdy guide me in this context? Try asking in the programming group news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba or the interoperations group news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.interop -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2
I get this message when I look in System information. Outlook keeps crashing quite often. I cannot for example delete two messages without outlook crashing. My colleagues do not have this problem. We are using the Microsoft mail exhange server. Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.5510.0, stamp 3f1380f0, faulting module mso.dll, version 11.0.5606.0, stamp 3f334cce, debug? 0, fault address 0x003b6e16. Does anyone has a solution?=20 Best regards/ Bj=F6rn 1) I would definitely apply Service Pack 2for Office 2003 + applicable critical security updates. 2) Have you tried starting O...

Password Issue with MS Money 2003
Hello, I am not familiar with newsgroups but I hope it is a forum to seek assistance. I am unable to reach MS support via email from my home computer on this issue. My Money 2003 requires a net passport password to open my account in Money that I have successfully accessed for approximately 12 months. It does not recognize my password now. I have attempted several times with my existing password, changed my net passport password, even uninstalled and re- installed MS Money 2003 to gain access to my account. Nothing has worked. Each time it states I have failed to enter the corr...

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work
I've installed my Outlook 2002 on my new Vista PC (I had Xp before). Now when I start Outlook it says "requires Outlook Express 4.01 or greater". I've been looking for Outlook Express to download and install but no joy. No CD came with my new Vista PC. Any ideas, short of buying a more modern Outlook? Vista doesn't actually support Outlook 2002 or older. Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer but with the advent of Vista, it was switched to Windows Mail. There is no more Outlook Express. You could attempt however to create a profile using workgroup or c...

"The connection to the Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"
I have setup a number of user accounts and the relative mailboxes without any problem. However, since this afternoon, if I try and connect to a newly mailbox through the email accounts wizard I get the following error message: "The connection to the Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action". This also occurs when I go to File>Open>Other User's Folder... and I try and lookup an existing account/mailbox that I know I have permission to. I know Outlook is connected to the Exchange server (I can ping, send and receive emails) ...

Transferring over outlook data to new XP machine
How do I transfer over my old emails, address book to my new XP machine? I have looked over the internet and found nothing the tells me EXACTLY how to do this, any help would be greatly appreciated. senior_tech@yahoo.com If your using MS Outlook copy your .PST file across and import it into the new install. >If your using MS Outlook copy your .PST file across and import it into the new install. No, don't import it. Simply use "File">"Open" -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the nam...

Crash on 'Send"
My wife's Intel Celeron running ME started having this problem sporadically - now constantly. Outlook 2000 receives OK - everything seems fine until you hit the 'Send' button then Outlook crashes giving an error message that says 'Outlook has caused an error in <unknown> and has to shut down. If the problem persists you may have to restart your computer.' Re-starting however has no effect. I have re-installed Office. Used 'Detect & Repair' under the 'Help' tab, and installed all patches/updates from the Office site. But this error continues, now...

Create a distribution list from addresses in the 'To' list
Hi all, I belong to a social group, and our co-ordinator sends out an email from time to time with all the latest addresses in the To list. I already have a distribution list for the group, which then needs to be checked through and updated. Is there a simple way of transferring those addresses into my own distribution list? I'm using Outlook 2002. Everybody's fiddling around with bits of paper - I'll be a hero if I can make it easy for them! Thanks. Astley http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20041105.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Astley" <ast@...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"
Hi, We are testing Outlook 2003 at our office now and there is one very frustrating "feature" that is bugging all of us. When we create a new e-mail message and type in the first name of a person from the global address book and hit ctrl- k to check the name...we get a response that Outlook doesn't recognize the name and there are "no suggestions". The only way Check Name will successfully resolve the name is if we type it last name first (ie, Gates, Bill). This was not the case in Office XP or Outlook 2000. You could search by first name (or partial first name)...

Reminders in Outlook
Since upgrading to Great Plains 9.0, several users are not getting their appointment reminders in Outlook 2003. They all show up at once after rebooting computer. Outlook settings are set appropriately. Any ideas? -- Steve ...

Outlook default to paragraph
To whom ever can help, > > When using Microsoft Outlook, and starting a new E- Mail, The default > format is to "paragraph" which double spaces. Is there anyway to > select under a New Message, Format, Style, "Normal" as the default? > > Thank you in advance > > Dave daveandivy@netidea.com >-----Original Message----- >To whom ever can help, >> >> When using Microsoft Outlook, and starting a new E- >Mail, The default >> format is to "paragraph" which double spaces. Is there >anyway to >> select unde...

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away
I don't know how I turned this on so I don't know how to turn it off. It splits my emails so that I can only type so far over before it kicks me back to the left margin and makes me start a new line. Can anyone help me? ...

cant start outlook pst file to large
Hi I hope somebody may be able to help im new to outlook and now I cant start outlook message says cannot open your default email folders pst file its too large as I cannot open outlook I cannot delete old folders See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296088 -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3B824DC-3C9B-4B1B-8EF3-61...

Outlook 2003
Hello, we have one client pc with Outlook 2003 where the following problem occurs: if a mail is replied from a user created sub folder of the inbox, the reply will not appear in sent mails, but will end up in the same sub folder, sender and recipient appear as identical. The mail goes out properly though, it's just that Outlook sets internally sender = recipient and bounces the reply back to the subfolder in which the original mail is stored. This happens on a Win 2000 machine with SP4 and all updates, the other clients use Outlook 2000 or XP and there is no such problem. There are no ru...

Outlook OOF
The Out of Office Reply will not be sent outside the network. I have exchange 5.5 and have read the faqs but the only fix I found did not work. Here is the number for the fix that I found: Q176161. Thank you for your time and help, Larry 1. Make sure your Exchange server's Internet Mail Service is configured to allow Automatic Replies to the Internet; that's the most common reason it wouldn't work. 2. Reconsider if you really want to use it. You're going to automatically reply to every message you receive; including spam. That's a good way to confirm to the spammer...

OutLook and Notes co-existing.
Outlook and Notes co-existing. Is is possible to mantain Notes as the primary MAPI mail server, but to have Outlook on the same machine, with a separate mail account. I wish to use the automation features of office with the outlook application, to build a solution, but the clients mail is LN. I only wish to use the system to send mails. Does LN support any objects for sending, To, Subject, Body, Attachment, etc which I could use from Access. ? Any reference material, articles etc would help also. Thanks. -- Gerry Mitas Ryemont Abbey, Leixlip, Co. Kildare Phone: 01 6104509 Fax:01 601 ...

Import from Eudora 6 to Outlook 2003
I am trying to import messages from Eudora 6 to Outlook 2003. I am receiving the error message "The mail folder could not be opened. If another application is using this file, please close and try again. No other applications are running Thanks for any help see article 257354 of the microsoft knowledge base on http://support.microsoft.com: "Outlook Cannot Import Eudora Messages When Eudora Mail Is Stored in a Non-Default Location" ciaos >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to import messages from Eudora 6 to Outlook 2003. I am receiving the error message ...

Outlook freezes after sending one email after upgrading 4.0
We just upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0 this weekend. All client machines have had the desktop client upgraded and 2 have the same issue. One is XP with Outlook 2003 and the other is Vista with Outlook 2007. Open opens and the CRM addin initializes correctly. As soon as you compose and send an email, Outlook locks up and you have to kill the process in task manager to close Outlook. I've had the same problem and have tried all I can think of...how did you fix this issue? Thank you. "Sander" wrote: > We just upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0 this weekend. All client machines have...

outlook 98 corperate forms
In a corperate environment, Outlook 98 forms not active for using on some of the PCs. Why it happens? How can I solve this problem. ...

Moving Contacts to Outlook Address Book
Need some help. How do I move the names and email addresses from my Contacts list to my Outlook Address Book. When I click on the Outlook Address Book it is empty, but when I click on the Contacts List all the names are there. I am using Outlook 2002. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks Bob Situation normal. What is the problem? The OAB should be empty. Entries reside in the Contacts Folder. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Bob R" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5a2701c42d7e$3de2a7d0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Need some help. How do I ...

Embedded Chart Versus Chart
I've created a class module to capture a Shift+Click on a pivot chart, which then opens the data associated with that point. It works great on pivot charts on their own sheet, but when I use the same code on an embedded chart, it fails (error code -2147417848). Everything seems to work fine, it derives the same row and column values as needed, but the ShowDetail property is unavailable in the embedded charts. Anyone have any insight? james Igoe || james.igoe@gmail.com || http://code.comparative-advantage.com I eventually solved my problem, simply using "On Error Resume Next&...

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...
OK, this is driving me nuts. I note that w' 2003 (and XP (2002)?) the default install sets the startup folder to the Inbox. IIRC, one of the earlier Offices installed Outlook to startup w' that "all in one view" - Outlook Today. So just as a wee test - I thought I'd try that for a while, and indeed I found it quite handy to be able to see all pertinent data on the one screen. *However* (and I'm wondering if this is the case with others), I *HAVE* to use my mouse, whenever I switch to the Inbox, or Calendar, or Tasks to get the damn focus onto a 'sujbect&...

Outlook Express 6 w/multiple accounts
I have three accounts set up in Outlook Express 6. Two of them work fine, but when I reply to or forward a message sent to the third address, it uses the second address in the "from" line, so I have to change it manually. This does not happen with the other two. How do I fix this? ...