Outlook and message rules- can't get one to work?

I have set up message rules to divert mail from my inbox to various sub
folders or new folders. I use these:-

Check messages when they arrive\ from people or distribution list \ with
specific words in the senders address \ with specific words in the subject or
body

Now the problem is that some of the messages are recieved from people in my
address book and when they send a message sometimes their name and address is
in the 'from' and other times it is just their name and so the ones with just
their name do not get moved across to the folder I want. I have added their
name or at least their first name in my rules but still no luck.

Example :-
Name only in From Field-
Amanda Testing

name and Email address in From Field-
Amanda testing [amandtesting@isp.net.au]

Any ideas?

0
MikeROz (103)

In news:3C1FBAB2-6990-4D63-836A-9816BBF5907A@microsoft.com,
MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I have set up message rules to divert mail from my inbox to various
> sub folders or new folders. I use these:-
>
> Check messages when they arrive\ from people or distribution list \
> with specific words in the senders address \ with specific words in
> the subject or body
>
> Now the problem is that some of the messages are recieved from people
> in my address book and when they send a message sometimes their name
> and address is in the 'from' and other times it is just their name
> and so the ones with just their name do not get moved across to the
> folder I want. I have added their name or at least their first name
> in my rules but still no luck.
>
> Example :-
> Name only in From Field-
> Amanda Testing
>
> name and Email address in From Field-
> Amanda testing [amandtesting@isp.net.au]
>
> Any ideas?

Can't you specify that it's to act on all messages from
oeblogs@domain.com  - just by typing in the address? It doesn't have to be
in your contacts/address book.

0
lanwench (7567)
7/16/2006 2:17:06 PM
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 04:50:01 -0700, MikeR-Oz
<MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have set up message rules to divert mail from my inbox to various sub
>folders or new folders. I use these:-
>
>Check messages when they arrive\ from people or distribution list \ with
>specific words in the senders address \ with specific words in the subject or
>body
>
>Now the problem is that some of the messages are recieved from people in my
>address book and when they send a message sometimes their name and address is
>in the 'from' and other times it is just their name and so the ones with just
>their name do not get moved across to the folder I want. I have added their
>name or at least their first name in my rules but still no luck.
>
>Example :-
>Name only in From Field-
>Amanda Testing
>
>name and Email address in From Field-
>Amanda testing [amandtesting@isp.net.au]
>
>Any ideas?

maybe an AND/OR problem ?
from people or disribution list OR specific words in the senders
address  etc...
test this by splitting the rule: use two rules instead of one
compound.
0
Osiris
7/16/2006 3:18:50 PM
Try changing the rule to "words in message header"

--

Neil

<Osiris> wrote in message news:j1mkb29u07qqtbmgvpm1r8eog0nd120035@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 04:50:01 -0700, MikeR-Oz
> <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have set up message rules to divert mail from my inbox to various sub
>>folders or new folders. I use these:-
>>
>>Check messages when they arrive\ from people or distribution list \ with
>>specific words in the senders address \ with specific words in the subject
>>or
>>body
>>
>>Now the problem is that some of the messages are recieved from people in
>>my
>>address book and when they send a message sometimes their name and address
>>is
>>in the 'from' and other times it is just their name and so the ones with
>>just
>>their name do not get moved across to the folder I want. I have added
>>their
>>name or at least their first name in my rules but still no luck.
>>
>>Example :-
>>Name only in From Field-
>>Amanda Testing
>>
>>name and Email address in From Field-
>>Amanda testing [amandtesting@isp.net.au]
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
> maybe an AND/OR problem ?
> from people or disribution list OR specific words in the senders
> address  etc...
> test this by splitting the rule: use two rules instead of one
> compound.

No I cannot see how I can just put in an address without it being in my
address book. I have even added it and it still does not work.
Mike

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:3C1FBAB2-6990-4D63-836A-9816BBF5907A@microsoft.com,
> MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > I have set up message rules to divert mail from my inbox to various
> > sub folders or new folders. I use these:-
> >
> > Check messages when they arrive\ from people or distribution list \
> > with specific words in the senders address \ with specific words in
> > the subject or body
> >
> > Now the problem is that some of the messages are recieved from people
> > in my address book and when they send a message sometimes their name
> > and address is in the 'from' and other times it is just their name
> > and so the ones with just their name do not get moved across to the
> > folder I want. I have added their name or at least their first name
> > in my rules but still no luck.
> >
> > Example :-
> > Name only in From Field-
> > Amanda Testing
> >
> > name and Email address in From Field-
> > Amanda testing [amandtesting@isp.net.au]
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Can't you specify that it's to act on all messages from
> oeblogs@domain.com  - just by typing in the address? It doesn't have to be
> in your contacts/address book.

0
MikeROz (103)
7/17/2006 12:11:02 PM

In news:D7002F30-F8F2-46FA-9D49-9222AEB8F471@microsoft.com,
MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> No I cannot see how I can just put in an address without it being in
> my address book.

You just type it in. I just tested this myself and it works fine. I'm on
OL2003 - you don't mention your version of Outlook.

> I have even added it and it still does not work.
> Mike
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>

>> In news:3C1FBAB2-6990-4D63-836A-9816BBF5907A@microsoft.com,
>> MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> I have set up message rules to divert mail from my inbox to various
>>> sub folders or new folders. I use these:-
>>>
>>> Check messages when they arrive\ from people or distribution list \
>>> with specific words in the senders address \ with specific words in
>>> the subject or body
>>>
>>> Now the problem is that some of the messages are recieved from
>>> people in my address book and when they send a message sometimes
>>> their name and address is in the 'from' and other times it is just
>>> their name and so the ones with just their name do not get moved
>>> across to the folder I want. I have added their name or at least
>>> their first name in my rules but still no luck.
>>>
>>> Example :-
>>> Name only in From Field-
>>> Amanda Testing
>>>
>>> name and Email address in From Field-
>>> Amanda testing [amandtesting@isp.net.au]
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Can't you specify that it's to act on all messages from
>> oeblogs@domain.com  - just by typing in the address? It doesn't have
>> to be in your contacts/address book.

0
lanwench (7567)
7/17/2006 2:16:11 PM
Outlook 2000. Can you step me through what it is you are doing? Mike

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:D7002F30-F8F2-46FA-9D49-9222AEB8F471@microsoft.com,
> MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > No I cannot see how I can just put in an address without it being in
> > my address book.
>
> You just type it in. I just tested this myself and it works fine. I'm on
> OL2003 - you don't mention your version of Outlook.
>

> > I have even added it and it still does not work.
> > Mike
> >
> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
> >

> >> In news:3C1FBAB2-6990-4D63-836A-9816BBF5907A@microsoft.com,
> >> MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> >> Can't you specify that it's to act on all messages from
> >> oeblogs@domain.com  - just by typing in the address? It doesn't have
> >> to be in your contacts/address book.

0
MikeROz (103)
7/17/2006 10:59:01 PM

In news:F7859D1A-F507-4898-B5E1-91919F035B71@microsoft.com,
MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Outlook 2000. Can you step me through what it is you are doing? Mike

I created a rule, typed in the e-mail address of the sender manually (not
browsing through the address book), and it worked.

Not sure whether OL2000 allows you to specify criteria found in the message
headers, but I didn't even need to do that in OL2003.

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>

>> In news:D7002F30-F8F2-46FA-9D49-9222AEB8F471@microsoft.com,
>> MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> No I cannot see how I can just put in an address without it being in
>>> my address book.
>>
>> You just type it in. I just tested this myself and it works fine.
>> I'm on OL2003 - you don't mention your version of Outlook.
>>

>>> I have even added it and it still does not work.
>>> Mike

0
lanwench (7567)
7/18/2006 1:42:49 PM
I have done the following and still no luck- where are you entering just the
email address?

Rules Wizard\new rule\>>>what type of rule do you want to create>>>check
messsages when they arrive>>>>next\>>> What condition do you want to
check>>>with specific words in the sneders addess>>>>next\>>>hat do you want
to do with the message>>>>Move it to a specified folder>>>Next\ etc etc

I typed in the actual email address at the 'specific words' in senders address

Mike

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:F7859D1A-F507-4898-B5E1-91919F035B71@microsoft.com,
> MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > Outlook 2000. Can you step me through what it is you are doing? Mike
>
> I created a rule, typed in the e-mail address of the sender manually (not
> browsing through the address book), and it worked.
>
> Not sure whether OL2000 allows you to specify criteria found in the message
> headers, but I didn't even need to do that in OL2003.
>

> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
> >

> >> In news:D7002F30-F8F2-46FA-9D49-9222AEB8F471@microsoft.com,
> >> MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> >>
> >> You just type it in. I just tested this myself and it works fine.
> >> I'm on OL2003 - you don't mention your version of Outlook.

0
MikeROz (103)
7/18/2006 9:27:02 PM

In news:7BF0D52D-E72D-443F-8D31-7895D9A206AF@microsoft.com,
MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I have done the following and still no luck- where are you entering
> just the email address?
>
> Rules Wizard\new rule\>>>what type of rule do you want to
> create>>>check messsages when they arrive>>>>next\>>> What condition
> do you want to check>>>with specific words in the sneders
> addess>>>>next\>>>hat do you want to do with the message>>>>Move it
> to a specified folder>>>Next\ etc etc
>

> I typed in the actual email address at the 'specific words' in
> senders address

I just created a custom rule that acted on mail from a specific person, and
entered the exact address there.

> Mike
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>

>> In news:F7859D1A-F507-4898-B5E1-91919F035B71@microsoft.com,
>> MikeR-Oz <MikeROz@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> Outlook 2000. Can you step me through what it is you are doing? Mike
>>
>> I created a rule, typed in the e-mail address of the sender manually
>> (not browsing through the address book), and it worked.
>>
>> Not sure whether OL2000 allows you to specify criteria found in the
>> message headers, but I didn't even need to do that in OL2003.

0
lanwench (7567)

How do I get OL 2003 to back up everythihg in it automatically
I am trying to find out if there is a possibility in Outlook 2003 to save and back up all my Outlook 2003 Info , including contacts, e-mails (received and send) automatically rather than having to do it manually everytime I exit the program? you can use a script and make a copy before you open outlook or use a backup tool to make a copy of the pst and your other files as needed. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ ...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Message comes as an attachment

cant start outlook pst file to large

Outlook 2003

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

Grammar check not working

"Save" preferences getting lost
List members: I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently. Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a default of thirty minutes. I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. - Mark Pavlick Hi Mark: That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the preference file. With the help of your System...

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

How do I recover my messages in my mailbox?
When I use Outlook, my e-mails in the original e-mail address are automatically deleted. But they are still in outlook not in my mail address. I want them back. Because I can not see my mails when I sign in from other computers. It sucks. On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:24:01 -0700, whereisnara <whereisnara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Please ask your question in a forum for Outlook; this one is about the Microsoft Access database product. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >When I use Outlook, my e-mails in the original e-mail address are >automatically deleted. But th...

This formula doesn't work: = day(today())
This formula doesn't work: = day(today()) Except from spreading one formula into 2, is it possible to make it workable in 1 formula? If so, how? -- Additional information: - I'm using Office XP - I'm using Windows XP ���H����O�D�`����. �p��������B, ���Ѫ̤��[�祿!! My ability is very limited. Hope you will not mind to enlighten me if I do wrongly. What doesn't work? For today (7 May 2004) =DAY(TODAY()) returns 7. In article <eYuAXhDNEHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "0-0 Wai Wai ^-^" <x@x.com> wrote: > This formula doesn't work: = day...

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Outlook Express 6 w/multiple accounts