Outlook Address Book during/after MST install.

Hello Sue,

We are using Policy Maker and are in dire need to have the OAB auto
installed during rollout.  Can you briefly explain the steps required?
Or does Microsoft have a fix?

The first .prf sets up the mail account(s) and will -- in some but not
all circumstances  -- also set up the OAB. Why it doesn't do it in all
cases, we don't know. Something in Outlook is broken, but we don't know
exactly what.

Using the second .prf file manually is the workaround that Microsoft
recommends to add an OAB to users who don't get it when Outlook
processes the first .prf . The only other available workaround is to
give the users an instruction sheet on how to add the OAB manually.
Group policy does not provide a solution unless perhaps you're using a
GPO tool like Policy Maker from http://www.desktopstandard.com
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Julie Williams" <JulieWilli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1F7C1786-BC6A-4210-B5D8-6EC71FFF6685@microsoft.com...
> From my understanding of what you said in your reply is that the second prf
> file cannot be used to automatically add the oab setting into Outlook.  It
> has to be manually run by the user.  Is there anyway of getting this to run
> through group policy so that the alteration can be without the user knowing.
> Also what does the 1st prf file do then?

> I do not understand why that when you create the CIW with the OAB setting it
> seems to ignore it.  Is there another way of getting this setting to appear
> during the installation through group policy?

> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

>> You're mixing up two different parts of the process. (I know it's confusing.) The profile settings that you set up with the CIW the first time, the ones in the .MST file -- those are the ones that set up the default mail profile. That's phase I.

>> Phase II is the part that corrects the problem with the OAB. For that you want a .prf file that just modifies the default profile to add the OAB. Export that from the CIW, then DO NOT SAVE CHANGES TO THE MST FILE!!!! In other words, the first PRF is part of your MST file. The second PRF is not. It's a standalone PRF file that the user will need to run if Outlook doesn't add the OAB based on the settings in the second file.

>> Having the second PRF file available is just a workaround. I don't know why Microsoft isn't making more of an effort to fix the root problem that results in the OAB not getting added in the first place.

0
schuff (2)

If you're using Policy Maker, talk to them about this issue. They may =
have a solution other than running a second .prf file, as you described =
below.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
"Schuff" <schuff@gmail.com> wrote in message =
> Hello Sue,
>=20
> We are using Policy Maker and are in dire need to have the OAB auto
> installed during rollout.  Can you briefly explain the steps required?
> Or does Microsoft have a fix?
>=20
>=20
>>>
> The first .prf sets up the mail account(s) and will -- in some but not
> all circumstances  -- also set up the OAB. Why it doesn't do it in all
> cases, we don't know. Something in Outlook is broken, but we don't =
know
> exactly what.
>=20
> Using the second .prf file manually is the workaround that Microsoft
> recommends to add an OAB to users who don't get it when Outlook
> processes the first .prf . The only other available workaround is to
> give the users an instruction sheet on how to add the OAB manually.
> Group policy does not provide a solution unless perhaps you're using a
> GPO tool like Policy Maker from http://www.desktopstandard.com

0
suemvp (4038)
7/6/2006 2:24:41 PM
Ok I thought since you mentioned it you may already have had a
solution. Thx

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> If you're using Policy Maker, talk to them about this issue. They may have a solution other than running a second .prf file, as you described below.
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>    Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>      http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm
>    and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>
> "Schuff" <schuff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1152189658.748170.240940@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
> > Hello Sue,
> >
> > We are using Policy Maker and are in dire need to have the OAB auto
> > installed during rollout.  Can you briefly explain the steps required?
> > Or does Microsoft have a fix?
> >

> > The first .prf sets up the mail account(s) and will -- in some but not
> > all circumstances  -- also set up the OAB. Why it doesn't do it in all
> > cases, we don't know. Something in Outlook is broken, but we don't know
> > exactly what.
> >
> > Using the second .prf file manually is the workaround that Microsoft
> > recommends to add an OAB to users who don't get it when Outlook
> > processes the first .prf . The only other available workaround is to
> > give the users an instruction sheet on how to add the OAB manually.
> > Group policy does not provide a solution unless perhaps you're using a
> > GPO tool like Policy Maker from http://www.desktopstandard.com

0
schuff (2)
7/8/2006 2:29:08 AM
You already know about the one solution that I am aware of, since you =
quoted one of my posts below.=20

> Ok I thought since you mentioned it you may already have had a
> solution. Thx
>=20
> Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>> If you're using Policy Maker, talk to them about this issue. They may =
have a solution other than running a second .prf file, as you described =
below.

>> "Schuff" <schuff@gmail.com> wrote in message =
>> > Hello Sue,
>> >
>> > We are using Policy Maker and are in dire need to have the OAB auto
>> > installed during rollout.  Can you briefly explain the steps =
required?
>> > Or does Microsoft have a fix?
>> >

>> > The first .prf sets up the mail account(s) and will -- in some but =
not
>> > all circumstances  -- also set up the OAB. Why it doesn't do it in =
all
>> > cases, we don't know. Something in Outlook is broken, but we don't =
know
>> > exactly what.
>> >
>> > Using the second .prf file manually is the workaround that =
Microsoft
>> > recommends to add an OAB to users who don't get it when Outlook
>> > processes the first .prf . The only other available workaround is =
>> > give the users an instruction sheet on how to add the OAB manually.
>> > Group policy does not provide a solution unless perhaps you're =
using a
>> > GPO tool like Policy Maker from http://www.desktopstandard.com

0
suemvp (4038)

Max number of Rules in Outlook
Hi everyone: Just a simple question that may be a common curiosity: does anyone know what is the max number of rules I can set up in Outlook? I have reached about 70 rules and the I get the message that there is no further space on the server. Maybe it is just a matter of room and the number it is not a limitation? Thanks for answering. Cheers That's it indeed; you can only store up to 32KB of e-mail rules. Disabled rules don't count but you're properly better of combining some rules or see if they are still needed. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the mo...

Address book updating...

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Standalone install of Office 98 Upgrade?

Crash on 'Send"

M2006 installation
I don't have an internet connection and I can't get past the Passport sign-in screen upon installation. Is there a way to install without an internet connection? Thank you. -- Mark M This install is from a CD? Somewhere on that screen or the previous one, in small type, is a cancel/skip/no I really don't want to use a Passport choice. I'd be more precise, but I can't test here. "Mark M" <MarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DBDC16A-8EA8-473D-AC7F-E16B9DCE75D6@microsoft.com... > I don't have an internet connection and I can...

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

Outlook 2003