Outlook/Access 2003 - Outlook View Control on Form w/ Multiple Calendars

I've been doing a lot of research and purchased (but haven't completely
read) Sue Mosher's book.  However, before I spend much more time I'd like to
find out if my idea is even feasible.  The basic idea is to create an
appointment system for multiple therapists that can be used by a
receptionist and other staff.  Using Outlook and Exchange is very nice but
the appointment data needs to end up in an Access table immediately.

We can purchase SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003 or we can buy a third party tool
for calendar sharing whichever would be the easiest to use.  I currently
have an SBS 2003 server to test with.  I'd like to build a multi-user split
Access project with the following features:

Ability to view multiple (3 users) Outlook 2003 calendars on an Access 2003
form.  Do I have to use multiple Outlook View Controls or can one control
somehow show multiple calendars?  If I have to use multiple controls then
can they be synched some how similar to the way they are when you view
multiple calendars in Outlook?  In other words, all show the same date and
time of day.

Write appointments entered into any of the calendars to a table in access.
Or if that's next to impossible, I'd like to build some text boxes and a
command button to add the appointment simultaneously to the appropriate
calendar and to a table.  Is either feasible?

Is it easier to work with calendars in a single pst file or Exchange folders
when using Access and VBA?

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, resources, etc.

Steve

0
someone1 (389)

I read this quickly, but it sounds like you will be storing appointments
in Outlook (aka Exchange) and would like to report on them in Access.

If that is correct, then it's a simple matter to link from Access to
Exchange (or Outlook) and report to users on pending appointments.

Alternatively, you can write automation code to create appointments
and tasks.  I've got some VBScript downloads at my web site that show
how it can be done, even in VBScript.  VBA is probably even easier to
write the code, but why reinvent the wheel.  Allow users to make the
appointments in Outlook where they are used to doing so, and report
on them in your app using linked tables to the schedule data.
--

Danny J. Lesandrini
dlesandrini@hotmail.com

"scs" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in ...
> I've been doing a lot of research and purchased (but haven't completely read) Sue Mosher's book.  However, before I
> spend much more time I'd like to find out if my idea is even feasible.  The basic idea is to create an appointment
> system for multiple therapists that can be used by a receptionist and other staff.  Using Outlook and Exchange is very
> nice but the appointment data needs to end up in an Access table immediately.
>
> We can purchase SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003 or we can buy a third party tool for calendar sharing whichever would be
> the easiest to use.  I currently have an SBS 2003 server to test with.  I'd like to build a multi-user split Access
> project with the following features:
>
> Ability to view multiple (3 users) Outlook 2003 calendars on an Access 2003 form.  Do I have to use multiple Outlook
> View Controls or can one control somehow show multiple calendars?  If I have to use multiple controls then can they be
> synched some how similar to the way they are when you view multiple calendars in Outlook?  In other words, all show
> the same date and time of day.
>
> Write appointments entered into any of the calendars to a table in access. Or if that's next to impossible, I'd like
> to build some text boxes and a command button to add the appointment simultaneously to the appropriate calendar and to
> a table.  Is either feasible?
>
> Is it easier to work with calendars in a single pst file or Exchange folders when using Access and VBA?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, resources, etc.
>
> Steve

Thanks very much.  I'd love to just have the users work in Outlook most of
the time with Exchange.  If I link to the tables in Outlook or Exchange
would there be a way that I could associate an appointment with a client in
Access?  What's the trick to that?  I guess I could link to the Contacts
folder in Outlook to for my database.  Seems that most folks don't opt to
use Outlook contacts in their database due to the structure of Outlook.
Maybe this is what needs to be done for this project though?

Thanks again!

"Danny J. Lesandrini" <dlesandrini@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I read this quickly, but it sounds like you will be storing appointments
> in Outlook (aka Exchange) and would like to report on them in Access.
>
> If that is correct, then it's a simple matter to link from Access to
> Exchange (or Outlook) and report to users on pending appointments.
>
> Alternatively, you can write automation code to create appointments
> and tasks.  I've got some VBScript downloads at my web site that show
> how it can be done, even in VBScript.  VBA is probably even easier to
> write the code, but why reinvent the wheel.  Allow users to make the
> appointments in Outlook where they are used to doing so, and report
> on them in your app using linked tables to the schedule data.
> --
>
> Danny J. Lesandrini
> dlesandrini@hotmail.com
> http://amazecreations.com/datafast
>

> "scs" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in ...
>> I've been doing a lot of research and purchased (but haven't completely
>> read) Sue Mosher's book.  However, before I spend much more time I'd like
>> to find out if my idea is even feasible.  The basic idea is to create an
>> appointment system for multiple therapists that can be used by a
>> receptionist and other staff.  Using Outlook and Exchange is very nice
>> but the appointment data needs to end up in an Access table immediately.
>>
>> We can purchase SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003 or we can buy a third party
>> tool for calendar sharing whichever would be the easiest to use.  I
>> currently have an SBS 2003 server to test with.  I'd like to build a
>> multi-user split Access project with the following features:
>>
>> Ability to view multiple (3 users) Outlook 2003 calendars on an Access
>> 2003 form.  Do I have to use multiple Outlook View Controls or can one
>> control somehow show multiple calendars?  If I have to use multiple
>> controls then can they be synched some how similar to the way they are
>> when you view multiple calendars in Outlook?  In other words, all show
>> the same date and time of day.
>>
>> Write appointments entered into any of the calendars to a table in
>> access. Or if that's next to impossible, I'd like to build some text
>> boxes and a command button to add the appointment simultaneously to the
>> appropriate calendar and to a table.  Is either feasible?
>>
>> Is it easier to work with calendars in a single pst file or Exchange
>> folders when using Access and VBA?
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, resources, etc.
>>
>> Steve

0
somone (9)
4/5/2006 9:39:56 PM
Thanks Danny,

After more research and some trials I see that linked calendar tables do not
provide the fields needed for my project.  Only exporting from Outlook gives
me start and end time and dates.  Seems ridiculous to me that you couldn't
just link to these necessary fields.  Few applications wouldn't need these
fields.  I'm sure there is a way to do what I wan't but obviously it's going
to be an educational experience.  Very little resources are available to
help with this particular subject.  How can a user link to meaningful
calendar data in Outlook from Access?

"Danny J. Lesandrini" <dlesandrini@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I read this quickly, but it sounds like you will be storing appointments
> in Outlook (aka Exchange) and would like to report on them in Access.
>
> If that is correct, then it's a simple matter to link from Access to
> Exchange (or Outlook) and report to users on pending appointments.
>
> Alternatively, you can write automation code to create appointments
> and tasks.  I've got some VBScript downloads at my web site that show
> how it can be done, even in VBScript.  VBA is probably even easier to
> write the code, but why reinvent the wheel.  Allow users to make the
> appointments in Outlook where they are used to doing so, and report
> on them in your app using linked tables to the schedule data.
> --
>
> Danny J. Lesandrini
> dlesandrini@hotmail.com
> http://amazecreations.com/datafast
>

> "scs" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in ...
>> I've been doing a lot of research and purchased (but haven't completely
>> read) Sue Mosher's book.  However, before I spend much more time I'd like
>> to find out if my idea is even feasible.  The basic idea is to create an
>> appointment system for multiple therapists that can be used by a
>> receptionist and other staff.  Using Outlook and Exchange is very nice
>> but the appointment data needs to end up in an Access table immediately.
>>
>> We can purchase SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003 or we can buy a third party
>> tool for calendar sharing whichever would be the easiest to use.  I
>> currently have an SBS 2003 server to test with.  I'd like to build a
>> multi-user split Access project with the following features:
>>
>> Ability to view multiple (3 users) Outlook 2003 calendars on an Access
>> 2003 form.  Do I have to use multiple Outlook View Controls or can one
>> control somehow show multiple calendars?  If I have to use multiple
>> controls then can they be synched some how similar to the way they are
>> when you view multiple calendars in Outlook?  In other words, all show
>> the same date and time of day.
>>
>> Write appointments entered into any of the calendars to a table in
>> access. Or if that's next to impossible, I'd like to build some text
>> boxes and a command button to add the appointment simultaneously to the
>> appropriate calendar and to a table.  Is either feasible?
>>
>> Is it easier to work with calendars in a single pst file or Exchange
>> folders when using Access and VBA?
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, resources, etc.
>>
>> Steve

0
someone1 (389)
4/6/2006 5:08:46 AM
As you've found, the linked table method has major limitations, =
including the inability to show even all the reasonably important =
fields. While articles have been written on how to expand on this =
method's obvious features, I've never been able to duplicate the =
results. See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/database.htm#linkedtables .=20

That page will also give you other ideas on how to work with databases =
and Outlook together. You'll need to write code or use a third-party =
tool that does the heavy lifting. For your project, SQLView might be =
very suitable, so that the data is stored in Access from the very start, =
but exposed in Outlook folders to support all the functionality you want =
to see in Outlook.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
"scs" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message =

>>> I've been doing a lot of research and purchased (but haven't =
completely=20
>>> read) Sue Mosher's book.  However, before I spend much more time I'd =
like=20
>>> to find out if my idea is even feasible.  The basic idea is to =
create an=20
>>> appointment system for multiple therapists that can be used by a=20
>>> receptionist and other staff.  Using Outlook and Exchange is very =
nice=20
>>> but the appointment data needs to end up in an Access table =
immediately.

>>> We can purchase SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003 or we can buy a third =
party=20
>>> tool for calendar sharing whichever would be the easiest to use.  I=20
>>> currently have an SBS 2003 server to test with.  I'd like to build a =

>>> multi-user split Access project with the following features:
>>>
>>> Ability to view multiple (3 users) Outlook 2003 calendars on an =
Access=20
>>> 2003 form.  Do I have to use multiple Outlook View Controls or can =
one=20
>>> control somehow show multiple calendars?  If I have to use multiple=20
>>> controls then can they be synched some how similar to the way they =
are=20
>>> when you view multiple calendars in Outlook?  In other words, all =
show=20
>>> the same date and time of day.
>>>
>>> Write appointments entered into any of the calendars to a table in=20
>>> access. Or if that's next to impossible, I'd like to build some text =

>>> boxes and a command button to add the appointment simultaneously to =
the=20
>>> appropriate calendar and to a table.  Is either feasible?
>>>
>>> Is it easier to work with calendars in a single pst file or Exchange =

>>> folders when using Access and VBA?

0
suemvp (4038)
4/6/2006 12:34:23 PM
Thanks Sue.  I'll look into SQLView.  I like Microsoft products but I just
don't understand what they are thinking.  Tight integration of
Outlook/Access makes good sense.

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
As you've found, the linked table method has major limitations, including
the inability to show even all the reasonably important fields. While
articles have been written on how to expand on this method's obvious
features, I've never been able to duplicate the results. See
http://www.outlookcode.com/d/database.htm#linkedtables .

That page will also give you other ideas on how to work with databases and
Outlook together. You'll need to write code or use a third-party tool that
does the heavy lifting. For your project, SQLView might be very suitable, so
that the data is stored in Access from the very start, but exposed in
Outlook folders to support all the functionality you want to see in Outlook.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"scs" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

>>> I've been doing a lot of research and purchased (but haven't completely
>>> read) Sue Mosher's book.  However, before I spend much more time I'd
>>> like
>>> to find out if my idea is even feasible.  The basic idea is to create an
>>> appointment system for multiple therapists that can be used by a
>>> receptionist and other staff.  Using Outlook and Exchange is very nice
>>> but the appointment data needs to end up in an Access table immediately.
>>>
>>> We can purchase SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003 or we can buy a third party
>>> tool for calendar sharing whichever would be the easiest to use.  I
>>> currently have an SBS 2003 server to test with.  I'd like to build a
>>> multi-user split Access project with the following features:
>>>
>>> Ability to view multiple (3 users) Outlook 2003 calendars on an Access
>>> 2003 form.  Do I have to use multiple Outlook View Controls or can one
>>> control somehow show multiple calendars?  If I have to use multiple
>>> controls then can they be synched some how similar to the way they are
>>> when you view multiple calendars in Outlook?  In other words, all show
>>> the same date and time of day.
>>>
>>> Write appointments entered into any of the calendars to a table in
>>> access. Or if that's next to impossible, I'd like to build some text
>>> boxes and a command button to add the appointment simultaneously to the
>>> appropriate calendar and to a table.  Is either feasible?
>>>
>>> Is it easier to work with calendars in a single pst file or Exchange
>>> folders when using Access and VBA?

0
someone1 (389)

Runtime Error when closing OUTLOOK 2k

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Excel not Access

Administrative Groups
I have 2 Administrative groups with a Exchange 2003 Server in each group. One group is on the other side of campus and is controlled by their Exchange Server Tech. I have delegated control of my server to myself. There are also users from the other server that do not belong in my server and would like to remove them. The problem is, that when I go to remove them it will not , because the user or group is inherited from the organization. How can I remove them from my server and yet not remove them from their server? It sounds like that if I remove them from the orgainization that they wi...

Hello all, I have a rather simple to describe but difficult to solve problem. Our customers want to use our ANSI MFC program to show different languages. For example Polish. When I set the font for the different controls they behave different. For example the CEdit shows the polish characters just right but the CButton with checkbox style shows glyphs instead of the special characters. Every control that is owner draw and uses for example the DrawText() function of the device context shows the characters right. I've experimented with _UNICODE for the display part and everything I could ...

Inserting form values into a table

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Crash on 'Send"

Sony HDR-XR200V 120GB HDD High Definition Camcorder w/15x Optical Zoom
Price:$999.99 Image: http://specialdealfinder.info/image.php?id=B001QBM9EM Best deal: http://specialdealfinder.info/index.php?id=B001QBM9EM In my opinion, the camcorder deserves 4/5 stars. The HD picture quality outdoors (rain or shine) is PHENOMAL. I got a similar picture in SD. It wasn't quite as sharp as HD but still an EXCELLENT picture. The sound quality is amazing. I had no problem with wind noise when outside on windy days. The camcorder itself is lightweight and I found the menus and buttons to be user-friendly. I read several negative reviews on the included Sony softwa...

Reminders in Outlook

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Find prev record on other requeried form
Using access 2003. I have a main form for name and address info. A subform shows limited info on client placement. Click a command button on the main form and user opens another form for full screen entry of placement data. That form opens showing the client selected on the initial main form. When the full screen placement form closes, it requeries the original main form with the placement subform to show the added placement. It goes to the first record in the table though. It does not show the original client whose placement was just added. How do I set the mai...

Outlook default to paragraph