Outlook 2K3 install kills "Mail" app

I recently updated my machine from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003.  After the
install
the "Mail" application in the control panel (that allows modification of a
profile) does not
work anymore.  It says that there are no more system resources and I should
close some
programs.  In fact there is nothing else running, and I have 384 megs of
memory so I really
don't that that is the problem.  Any ideas on how to get this working again?

0
comaxis (7)

What OS do you have and can you right click on the outlook icon on the start
menu or desktop to access Properties - which should open the mail applet?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Jeff McKay" <comaxis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I recently updated my machine from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003.  After the
> install
> the "Mail" application in the control panel (that allows modification of a
> profile) does not
> work anymore.  It says that there are no more system resources and I
> should
> close some
> programs.  In fact there is nothing else running, and I have 384 megs of
> memory so I really
> don't that that is the problem.  Any ideas on how to get this working
> again?

0
msnews1660 (730)
3/29/2005 1:42:10 AM
It is Windows XP.  When I select properties from the desktop it just gives
me the usual
shortcut stuff.  When I do it from the start menu, I get the same error:
"You need more
memory or system resources.  Close some windows and try again.".

I have looked at the performance tab of the Windows task manager and the
numbers of
handles, memory usage, etc. do not seem out of line with some of my other
machines.
I should mention that this system is a Netware client, but it was that also
before upgrading to
Outlook 2003 and did not have any problems prior.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <diane.poremsky+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What OS do you have and can you right click on the outlook icon on the
start
> menu or desktop to access Properties - which should open the mail applet?
>

> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)

> "Jeff McKay" <comaxis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I recently updated my machine from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003.  After
the
> > install
> > the "Mail" application in the control panel (that allows modification of
> > profile) does not
> > work anymore.  It says that there are no more system resources and I
> > should
> > close some
> > programs.  In fact there is nothing else running, and I have 384 megs of
> > memory so I really
> > don't that that is the problem.  Any ideas on how to get this working
> > again?

0
comaxis (7)
3/29/2005 6:55:21 AM
that error was common during the beta... the rundll file was bad - but it
was fixed. Try deleting the mail applet and then do a detect and repair.

--

> It is Windows XP.  When I select properties from the desktop it just gives
> me the usual
> shortcut stuff.  When I do it from the start menu, I get the same error:
> "You need more
> memory or system resources.  Close some windows and try again.".
>
> I have looked at the performance tab of the Windows task manager and the
> numbers of
> handles, memory usage, etc. do not seem out of line with some of my other
> machines.
> I should mention that this system is a Netware client, but it was that
> also
> before upgrading to
> Outlook 2003 and did not have any problems prior.
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <diane.poremsky+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> What OS do you have and can you right click on the outlook icon on the
> start
>> menu or desktop to access Properties - which should open the mail applet?
>>

>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
>> Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)

>> "Jeff McKay" <comaxis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently updated my machine from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003.  After
> the
>> > install
>> > the "Mail" application in the control panel (that allows modification
>> > of
>> > profile) does not
>> > work anymore.  It says that there are no more system resources and I
>> > should
>> > close some
>> > programs.  In fact there is nothing else running, and I have 384 megs
>> > of
>> > memory so I really
>> > don't that that is the problem.  Any ideas on how to get this working
>> > again?

0
msnews1660 (730)