Outlook 2010 Calendar view - how to compress view??

Using my new Windows 7/Outlook 2010.  Is there anyway to have the
calendar view ONLY show time slots that are occupied with appointments?
  As it stands, I have to scroll to see the late night time-slots even
when I have the settings for 1 hour entries.  Lots of the screen is
filled with blank time slots that I wish I could 'compress' to only see
times with active appointments.

I've tried looking at all the options I can see without success.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks - On XP and Office 2003, I don't think I had this problem....but
I can't remember now.
Regards -

- Andrew
0
Andrew326 (2)

No, you can't compress the hours however you can select 2 weeks in the
navigation pane calendars to show more appt. in a grid view.
http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/2wk_cal/2wk_cal.htm if you need a
tutorial.

In Outlook 2003, the closest you'd get to what you want is a day planner
layout - 6 squares arranged in 2 columns by 3 rows, one each work day
plus Sat/Sun merged. The two week view is the closest you can get to
anything like that.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com

On 9/6/2011 10:27 AM, Andrew wrote:
> Using my new Windows 7/Outlook 2010. Is there anyway to have the
> calendar view ONLY show time slots that are occupied with appointments?
> As it stands, I have to scroll to see the late night time-slots even
> when I have the settings for 1 hour entries. Lots of the screen is
> filled with blank time slots that I wish I could 'compress' to only see
> times with active appointments.
>
> I've tried looking at all the options I can see without success.
>
> Anyone have ideas?
>
> Thanks - On XP and Office 2003, I don't think I had this problem....but
> I can't remember now.
0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/6/2011 3:40:12 PM
Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP] wrote:
> No, you can't compress the hours however you can select 2 weeks in the
> navigation pane calendars to show more appt. in a grid view.
> http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/2wk_cal/2wk_cal.htm if you need a
> tutorial.
>
> In Outlook 2003, the closest you'd get to what you want is a day planner
> layout - 6 squares arranged in 2 columns by 3 rows, one each work day
> plus Sat/Sun merged. The two week view is the closest you can get to
> anything like that.
>

> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
> OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com
>
> On 9/6/2011 10:27 AM, Andrew wrote:
>> Using my new Windows 7/Outlook 2010. Is there anyway to have the
>> calendar view ONLY show time slots that are occupied with appointments?
>> As it stands, I have to scroll to see the late night time-slots even
>> when I have the settings for 1 hour entries. Lots of the screen is
>> filled with blank time slots that I wish I could 'compress' to only see
>> times with active appointments.
>>
>> I've tried looking at all the options I can see without success.
>>
>> Anyone have ideas?
>>
>> Thanks - On XP and Office 2003, I don't think I had this problem....but
>> I can't remember now.

Diane - thank you for the timely reply. I tried that, it almost fits,
but it doesn't seem to 'stick' in that if i go to the MAIL for instance
and come back i am back to the full month or day view,  It almost works.
As the tutorial states "The only downfall to this method is that the
selection is not saved. The view reverts to 30 day view when you change
folders." - oh well!

I'm surprise this hasn't been incorporated as an enhancement.  At work
using LOTUS NOTES, we can summarize the day or keep each hour's
appointments 'expanded' (like Outlook).  Oh well!

Regards -

- Andrew
0
Andrew326 (2)
9/6/2011 9:20:50 PM
I've requested it quite a few times - making it work without introducing
bugs could be one factor as to why they haven't done it.

On 9/6/2011 5:20 PM, Andrew wrote:
> Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP] wrote:
>> No, you can't compress the hours however you can select 2 weeks in the
>> navigation pane calendars to show more appt. in a grid view.
>> http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/2wk_cal/2wk_cal.htm if you need a
>> tutorial.
>>
>> In Outlook 2003, the closest you'd get to what you want is a day planner
>> layout - 6 squares arranged in 2 columns by 3 rows, one each work day
>> plus Sat/Sun merged. The two week view is the closest you can get to
>> anything like that.
>>

>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>> OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com
>>
>> On 9/6/2011 10:27 AM, Andrew wrote:
>>> Using my new Windows 7/Outlook 2010. Is there anyway to have the
>>> calendar view ONLY show time slots that are occupied with appointments?
>>> As it stands, I have to scroll to see the late night time-slots even
>>> when I have the settings for 1 hour entries. Lots of the screen is
>>> filled with blank time slots that I wish I could 'compress' to only see
>>> times with active appointments.
>>>
>>> I've tried looking at all the options I can see without success.
>>>
>>> Anyone have ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks - On XP and Office 2003, I don't think I had this problem....but
>>> I can't remember now.
>
> Diane - thank you for the timely reply. I tried that, it almost fits,
> but it doesn't seem to 'stick' in that if i go to the MAIL for instance
> and come back i am back to the full month or day view, It almost works.
> As the tutorial states "The only downfall to this method is that the
> selection is not saved. The view reverts to 30 day view when you change
> folders." - oh well!
>
> I'm surprise this hasn't been incorporated as an enhancement. At work
> using LOTUS NOTES, we can summarize the day or keep each hour's
> appointments 'expanded' (like Outlook). Oh well!

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Tr again: Modifying Calendar's "reading" view in 2003
In Outlook 2003, Calendar allows me to show the event's content in a "Reading" pane at the right or bottom of the calendar. But the layout of the Reading pane wastes a lot of space. Can its layout or content be modified? No, the content can't be modified. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com...

Backing Up Outlook Express Emails
Does anyone know how to back up email's in Outlook Express? Backup your dbx-files For more assistance ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Cindy" <anonymous@discussion...

Change <value> in outlook
We Have Exchange 2003 sp2 and outlook 2003 sp2. I have renamed 2 AD accounts. Changed all display names, accounts name etc with the 2 accounts. When users open outlook and send to renamed account they see account name <oldaccountname> in the autocomplete list. I have cleared nk2 files in profile , but it still shows newaccount <oldaccountname> in drop down box. Is there a way to edit the <oldaccountnam> value of the renamed account? I tried the same thing with a freshly loaded PC. with the same result. Thanks You can delete the nickname files. -- Ed Crowley MVP - E...

outlook not senfing mail
i can receive mail, but not send. this is new. all was fine for last 7 months. not sure what to do. thank you any error messages? a bernstein ����: > i can receive mail, but not send. this is new. all was > fine for last 7 months. not sure what to do. > > thank you ...

Microsoft Outlook 2002 #3
How can I allow Level 1 files into Outlook 2002, I keep getting the following message "Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments" Thanks, Stephen Some options here http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "spike" <stephen@just4u.ie> wrote in message news:090201c35c10$19100be0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can I allow Level 1 files into Outlook 2002, I keep > getting the following message "Outlook blocked access to > the following potentially unsafe attachments" > > Thanks, > > Stephen ...

When launching Outlook I recieve the following error... please he
When launching Outlook 2003 I recieve the following error: The add-in "C:\PROGRAM~1\SPAMBL~1\Bin\461~1.0\SBOLExt.dll" could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the Help menu. I ran the Detect and Repair and that didn't work. I ran the repair option from Add and Remove Program in Control Panel and that didn't work. I also un-installed and then re-installed Outlook 2003 and that didn't work. I'm running Windows 2000. Any ideals...? Did you have something possibly called SpamBlocker installed at some point?...

Can't edit print styles in Outlook 2007

Missing Menu Options (Outlook 2002)...
HELP! I've noticed a few things disappearing: 1) When I right-click an e-mail to add the person to the Junk Senders list, the options under "Junk E-mail" are no longer visible (just gives me a stubby blank box) 2) I don't have access to "Tools --> Rules Wizard" - that'c completely disappeared. Any ideas? ...

Outlook 2003 attachments.
When an email comes in with say a word attachment, i go to open the attachment the only option i get is 'save to disk' or cancel. It gives a message saying that this file might contain a virus etc. etc. This happens with all attachments. How can i change it so there is a open button also. The pc is windows 2000 sp 4 with Office 2003. Regards ...

Problem with systemstate backup with DPM 2010
Hi! We running DPM 2010RC on a Windows 2008 R2 The Protected computer is: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Standard Edition 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790 When we installed the DPM agent the first backup of system state was successfully, so we have one restore point. But further backups in failing, the system state backup is in status “replica is inconsistent” and when I running a consistent check the job failing. In the error in DPM is: The replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection on sea0700smon1.xxxx.local is inconsistent with the protected data so...

Outlook 2000 doesn't respond after downloading MS update!!
Luckily, my Outlook Express seems to work, but my Outlook 2000 will open, but if I click on a message or do Anything, it FREEZES. HELP!! I rely on calendar functions, other things. HOW could MS allow an update that screws up their own programs? I did restore - to no avail. I lent CD to someone, so can't do "repair." (Trying to get a hold of friend) Please help! I'm in process of job hunt & really need Outlook to function... Thanks, Sherry Did you recently apply SP3 for Office/Outlook 2000 and is Outlook 2000 configured in Internet Mail Only mode? If yes, you...

Operating a small passenger service
I am hoping someone has managed to customise outlook in a way that allows you to use the programe to manage bookings on a small passenger service. I.e input a new booking, number of people, location etc. Then email the days bookings to the different drivers. Maybe it could also be set up to know how many seats are avialale to reduce the risk of double booking? Im using Outlook 2003. ...

Office 2010 Buying Question Assistance Needed
I've been looking through the MS Office 2010 web site to try to determine what my new small company would require, but I can't find the information I need. We for sure would need Office Pro Plus, but other than that I'm not sure. We want to run it on our own server. We will initially have 3-5 people using it and perhaps more later on. Would we need to purchase site licensing? Unfortunately, our programmers are MS haters (I'm not) and I can't get any assistance from them on this, but I have power of the pen. I would appreciate any assistance I can get. Th...

Outlook XP #32
When starting Outlook, I get the following error message: "Outlook.exe There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Harddisk 1\DR3. Cancel Try Again. Continue." How do I keep this message from popping up? ...

Outlook error message #4
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error. What's the problem? ...

Outlook Data Files #4

web preview not same as publisher view
Reading past postings it appears others too are having serious problems with Web preview in both 2002 and 2003. I think the problem is that text handling within text boxes in normal Publisher view simply does not reflect that as seen in Web Preview (currently Explorer 6) On a totally blank (wide setting) webpage, using standard Times New Roman 12pont (no italic underline or bold) I typed six lines of Mary had a little lamb into a 3.85x3.029cm text box with all margins set to 00. I outlined the box with a 1/4pt line Whereas the text just fitted into the box in Publisher view, in Web ...

Outlook 2003 E-mail Preview before receiving
I currently use an E-mail client called GoldMine that allows me to preview e-mail sent to me on the server before actually downloading/receiving it to my computer. I find this extremely beneficial in weeding out the junk/unsolicited and potentially virus-infected e-mail. Is it possible to do this with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003? When selecting send/receive , it appears the only option option is to actually download/receive the message to be able to view it. If you are aware as to how I may be able to preview first without downloading, please provide instructions on how to achi...

outlook not responding #8
when i go and open outlook i get a screen that says outlook is unavailable.and then it says don't send or send to microsoft. i keep recieving this message. what is happening What version of Outlook and have you tried Detect and Repair? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, jonna asked: | when i go and open outlook i get a screen that says | outlook is...

Outlook xp Offline folders vs O2k3 Cached Exchange mode
I recently upgraded a group of executives from Outlook XP to Outlook 2003. I used the "upgrade" option. I also installed O2K3 SP1. They all have laptops and use offline folders. Several have had various offline folder issues since the upgrade. Is there something I need to configure in order for them to continue to use their offline folders? or Does Cached Exchange mode replace Offline folders? Are there known issues with the upgrade and offline folders? I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks in advance for your time! techguyasap <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Upgrade Path from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010
Is there going to be an upgrade path from DPM 2007 to 2010? Yes. Look at the following DPM 2010 documentation: https://connect.microsoft.com/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?SiteID=840&DownloadID=22070 "DPM supports upgrading from DPM 2007 SP1 on a Windows Server 2008 x64-bit operating system to DPM 2010. If DPM 2007 SP1 is installed on a Windows Server 2003 x64-bit operating system, you must upgrade to Windows Server 2008 before upgrading to DPM 2010". Also, here are my notes on DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 upgrade: http://santhoshsivarajan.blogspot.com/2009/09/dpm-2007-t...

Outlook calender #4
If I became an appointment an print this the meeting organizer ist missing? why ...

Outlook 2007: is there a way to use it as a Diary
I'd like to keep a daily journal of important notes, etc. In other words , I would like to keep a Diary. Does Outlook 2007 have this capability? TIA Sure - Ctrl+8 to view the journal or you can create a Mail and Post folder type and post to it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH...