Outlook 2010 Calendar view - how to compress view??

Using my new Windows 7/Outlook 2010.  Is there anyway to have the
calendar view ONLY show time slots that are occupied with appointments?
  As it stands, I have to scroll to see the late night time-slots even
when I have the settings for 1 hour entries.  Lots of the screen is
filled with blank time slots that I wish I could 'compress' to only see
times with active appointments.

I've tried looking at all the options I can see without success.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks - On XP and Office 2003, I don't think I had this problem....but
I can't remember now.
Regards -

- Andrew
0
Andrew326 (2)

No, you can't compress the hours however you can select 2 weeks in the
navigation pane calendars to show more appt. in a grid view.
http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/2wk_cal/2wk_cal.htm if you need a
tutorial.

In Outlook 2003, the closest you'd get to what you want is a day planner
layout - 6 squares arranged in 2 columns by 3 rows, one each work day
plus Sat/Sun merged. The two week view is the closest you can get to
anything like that.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com

On 9/6/2011 10:27 AM, Andrew wrote:
> Using my new Windows 7/Outlook 2010. Is there anyway to have the
> calendar view ONLY show time slots that are occupied with appointments?
> As it stands, I have to scroll to see the late night time-slots even
> when I have the settings for 1 hour entries. Lots of the screen is
> filled with blank time slots that I wish I could 'compress' to only see
> times with active appointments.
>
> I've tried looking at all the options I can see without success.
>
> Anyone have ideas?
>
> Thanks - On XP and Office 2003, I don't think I had this problem....but
> I can't remember now.
0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/6/2011 3:40:12 PM
Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP] wrote:
> No, you can't compress the hours however you can select 2 weeks in the
> navigation pane calendars to show more appt. in a grid view.
> http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/2wk_cal/2wk_cal.htm if you need a
> tutorial.
>
> In Outlook 2003, the closest you'd get to what you want is a day planner
> layout - 6 squares arranged in 2 columns by 3 rows, one each work day
> plus Sat/Sun merged. The two week view is the closest you can get to
> anything like that.
>

> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
> OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com
>
> On 9/6/2011 10:27 AM, Andrew wrote:
>> Using my new Windows 7/Outlook 2010. Is there anyway to have the
>> calendar view ONLY show time slots that are occupied with appointments?
>> As it stands, I have to scroll to see the late night time-slots even
>> when I have the settings for 1 hour entries. Lots of the screen is
>> filled with blank time slots that I wish I could 'compress' to only see
>> times with active appointments.
>>
>> I've tried looking at all the options I can see without success.
>>
>> Anyone have ideas?
>>
>> Thanks - On XP and Office 2003, I don't think I had this problem....but
>> I can't remember now.

Diane - thank you for the timely reply. I tried that, it almost fits,
but it doesn't seem to 'stick' in that if i go to the MAIL for instance
and come back i am back to the full month or day view,  It almost works.
As the tutorial states "The only downfall to this method is that the
selection is not saved. The view reverts to 30 day view when you change
folders." - oh well!

I'm surprise this hasn't been incorporated as an enhancement.  At work
using LOTUS NOTES, we can summarize the day or keep each hour's
appointments 'expanded' (like Outlook).  Oh well!

Regards -

- Andrew
0
Andrew326 (2)
9/6/2011 9:20:50 PM
I've requested it quite a few times - making it work without introducing
bugs could be one factor as to why they haven't done it.

On 9/6/2011 5:20 PM, Andrew wrote:
> Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP] wrote:
>> No, you can't compress the hours however you can select 2 weeks in the
>> navigation pane calendars to show more appt. in a grid view.
>> http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/2wk_cal/2wk_cal.htm if you need a
>> tutorial.
>>
>> In Outlook 2003, the closest you'd get to what you want is a day planner
>> layout - 6 squares arranged in 2 columns by 3 rows, one each work day
>> plus Sat/Sun merged. The two week view is the closest you can get to
>> anything like that.
>>

>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>> OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com
>>
>> On 9/6/2011 10:27 AM, Andrew wrote:
>>> Using my new Windows 7/Outlook 2010. Is there anyway to have the
>>> calendar view ONLY show time slots that are occupied with appointments?
>>> As it stands, I have to scroll to see the late night time-slots even
>>> when I have the settings for 1 hour entries. Lots of the screen is
>>> filled with blank time slots that I wish I could 'compress' to only see
>>> times with active appointments.
>>>
>>> I've tried looking at all the options I can see without success.
>>>
>>> Anyone have ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks - On XP and Office 2003, I don't think I had this problem....but
>>> I can't remember now.
>
> Diane - thank you for the timely reply. I tried that, it almost fits,
> but it doesn't seem to 'stick' in that if i go to the MAIL for instance
> and come back i am back to the full month or day view, It almost works.
> As the tutorial states "The only downfall to this method is that the
> selection is not saved. The view reverts to 30 day view when you change
> folders." - oh well!
>
> I'm surprise this hasn't been incorporated as an enhancement. At work
> using LOTUS NOTES, we can summarize the day or keep each hour's
> appointments 'expanded' (like Outlook). Oh well!

0
outlookmvp (5838)

OUTLOOK NEWS #2
Once again my news does not work. When I click it, I get a folder full of outlook stuff. This has happened before and someone here helped me. I, unfortunately, do not remember what to do. Next time I will save the instructions as this seems to be happening again and again. The word news appears at the top but when clicked there is nothing but the folder. Help Please! Thanks! You mean you cannot start the Newsreader from within Outlook? Go to Internet Explorer and make sure Outlook Express is set as the default newreader. For other solutions see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/news....

Distribution Lists in Outlook XP
In Outlook XP, you can create a distribution list and store it in your Contacts folder. When I try to forward the distribution list that I created as an attachment in an email message to someone using Outlook 98, they do not see the distribution list when they double click on the attachment. In fact, the attachment appears as if it is a message and the subject of the message is the name of the distribution list. The Outlook 98 user does not see the members in the distribution list. I suspect that this is a compatibility issue between the two different versions of Outlook. I'm wonderin...

Date white-out in Outlook 2002
Hi again. I'm not sure what causes it, but when viewing my calendar and clicking on any date, that specific day's number show white causing me not to see it. Is there a way I can fix this? -- Regards, Deon H what windows theme are you using? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchang...

"default" permission on public calendar?
Hello exch 2k3 sp1 2003 AD mixed I am curious on a public calendar object i have set a mail enabled security group to have author rights, we'll call them "AUTHORS1" and another m.e. group as "EDITORS1" with editor right. The default rights are set to NONE. The people in the editors1 group can make appointments and the people in the authors1 group cant. Until i set the default rights to "author". Also at that time the authors1 group can make appointments but cant see them until i change them to "publising authors" with the defaul still set t...

Outlook XP #30
I have encountered a problem with Outlook on my network. I autoarchive my emails daily to a store on my server. The problem is that if my server store is unavailable I get not only an error message but also a new 'Personal Folders' in my folders list. This new folder contain no data and it cannot be deleted either. How do I get rid of this folder? When my archiving works correctly I have an 'Archive Folder' in my folders list. Kevin See my reply to your post in microsoft.public.office.misc. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT ...

Duplicated messages during importing from Outlook Express
I now have duplicates of ever message..any suggestions on how to delete all my messages and re-import from outlook express... Thanks Try select all control A to select all message in your mailbox and press your delete key if you want to delte all messages. When you import there should be an option to check for duplicates as well. >-----Original Message----- >I now have duplicates of ever message..any suggestions on >how to delete all my messages and re-import from outlook >express... > >Thanks >. > Vince <vjong@adelphia.net> wrote: > I now have...

Unable to view HTML Source Code
I am an Exchange Adminstrator and I am trying to view the HTML source code of e-mail messages sent by SPAMMERs. This feature used to work on my system however, it recently stopped responding. I right click on the message, select view source, and nothing. Any suggestions???? Does it work in Internet Explorer? Make sure you've got a default HTML editor specified in Control Panel-> Internet Options-> tab Programs. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Se...

"you are viewing this message in the internet zone."
Has anyone seen this in the line break message at the top of Microsoft Outlook message viewing? It's confusing me and i don't like the idea that this is being monitored. It's Office 11 - 2003. Anyone have an idea? Thanks. Tasha <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Has anyone seen this in the line break message at the top > of Microsoft Outlook message viewing? It's confusing me > and i don't like the idea that this is being monitored. > It's Office 11 - 2003. Anyone have an idea? Thanks. Tools>Options>Security. In the mi...

Unable to view Customizations in MSCRM 3.0 while working with IE 7
I have done the customizations on the quote entity.It works fine when i use MSCRM with IE 6.0.But when i logon to MSCRM using IE 7.0,am able to see the customizations but the the calculation part for the amount is not getting reflected.can any one help me in the subject. Thanks shashank ...

Outlook deleting server messages
I have recently installed Outlook 2007 on my laptop running Windows 7. When I open Outlook, it downloads my emails and automatically deletes them from the server. I need them left on the server so that I can download the same messages on other computers. How can I adjust the setting in Outlook to leave the messages on the server? Using POP3? Open your account settings of the POP3 account-> button More Settings...-> tab Advanced -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, A...

Calendar as web page
I'm using Outlook 2002. When I save a calendar as a web page, it looks just fine in my local website when viewing in the browser. But when I publish it to my website, at the top where the days of the week should be, and at the bottom where the date the calendar was made should be, it says, "The page not found." Everything else looks fine. I have checked to see if I have not published a file related to the calendar, but can't find one. Help! ...

Switching from outlook express to office outlook 2003?
them I already have office outlook 2003 installed. But can't figure out how to switch to it and get all email and addresses from outlook express and import to office outlook 2003. Do I just delete outlook express? -- dagnag You don't have to delete Outlook Express. Just go into OUTLOOK. Click on Tools, Options. Now click on the 'Other' Tab - now check the box to make Outlook the default email program. "dagnag" wrote: > them I already have office outlook 2003 installed. But can't figure out how > to switch to it and get all email and addresses fr...

Outlook 2000/ ME Error message
When attempting to open any e-mail, I get a "Outlook has caused an error in MS09.DLL Outlook will now close" I can view the message in the preview pane, but not open it. I have downloaded and applied all patches/fixes on both the Windows Update and Office Update websites. I tried running detect and repair to no avail. Any ideas? ...

Outlook form - Checkbox
Dear all, Let's assume I have 15 contacts. 5 of these contacts are clients and I would like to have a different background color of the contact form for these contacts that all employees know that these contacts are clients. The contacts are stored in the Public Folders. Any ideas how I could add a checkbox (add a custom tab) that if the checkbox is checked that the background color of this form would change (> all pages/tabs > General, Details, Activities, etc.)? Kind regards, Simon You can design your own custom contact form for this; Tools-> Forms-> ...

Unable to detect language settings in eventviewer Outlook Client 4
Hello, another problem with the outlook client 4.0. A view machines get the following error in the eventlog : Event Type: Error Event Source: MSCRMAddin Event Category: None Event ID: 5909 Date: 7/11/2008 Time: 9:27:42 AM User: N/A Computer: NLCAPD9VQS72J Description: The Microsoft CRM Outlook add-in failed to initialize the user's language setting. Restart Microsoft Outlook and try again. HR=0x8013150b. Context=. Function=CAddin::HrActivateAddin. Line=650. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. The user has FULL access to...

Can't install Office 2010 beta
I downloaded Office 2010 from Office Online and i tryed to install it, but not. It won't open. I check in CTRL+ALT+DEL under processes: it's not there. HOW to install it? :( Try posting to the Office 2010 beta forums here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/office2010/threads -- Susan Ramlet **please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit** "confusedguy" <confusedguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85E497BD-EDEE-48DD-A0F1-0BA7A5F5E375@microsoft.com... >I downloaded Office 2010 from Office Online and i tr...

Outlook Express
When composing an email is it possible to move the margin on the right the way the lefthand side can be indented? Does that make sense? -- LibraLady1 You need to ask your question in the Outlook Express newsgroup http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general&cat=en_US_84883150-57ad-41d0-b145-8f6c650b58ef&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "TeresaEllen" <TeresaEllen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Outlook internet history
Is there a way to erase the internet history like you can do in Internet Explorer? ...

how to I get 2010 beta OneNote to be active in 2010 beta outlook
I added OneNote Quick tab to Outlook, but it is not active. How do I make it active? "Quick Tab"? Can you clarify what you mean? What steps diod you take in Outlook (what version?) to get this to appear and what exactly doesn't work? =?Utf-8?B?U01H?= <SMG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:131F64B7-0948-4C1A-B684-0ADCD0BBB3A9@microsoft.com: > I added OneNote Quick tab to Outlook, but it is not active. How do I > make it active? > I am running the Office 2010 Professional Plus Beta. I said quick tab, after checking it is actually...

Resource availability conflict
Hi all, we are facing a big problem regarding "scheduling ignores resource calendars"...!!! When someone schedules a task to start on monday with a duration of 6 days (Mo-Sat) and work 48 hours, assigns a resource with standard work week Mo-Fr. a 8 hours, sets "scheduling ignores resource calendars" and uses a server calender with a 6 days week, the task and work package is scheduled as desired. Closing this project, opening a new project and taking a look at resource:usage view the usage is scheduled from Mo-Mo and not Mo- Sat!!! This also applies to PWA ava...

Error when closing mail msg while calendar item is open
This error is reproducible on a number of machines at where I work. We have recently upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003. If I try to close a mail message while a calendar item is open in a different window, I get an error message. "error mailitem". That is it, no other information. This happens if either the mail item or the calendar item is opened first, but the mail item is closed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

XPrint and Outlook 2003
About a third of the machines that we've deployed Outlook 2003 to will crash if the XPrint add-in is loaded. The error happens when you open a message, print it, and then close the message. Outlook will crash out when the message is closed and put the following in the event log: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.5510.0, stamp 3f1380f0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, stamp 00000000, debug? 0, fault address 0x00000038. It doesn't matter if the message being printed is a custom for or a normal mail message, if the XPrint add-in is loaded, Outlook will crash. Any...

display each days calendar automatically
Wud like to set up outlook to show "todays" calendar at boot up each day you want outlook to start in the calendar? tools, options, email, advanced. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM "Kitt...

Transfer Outlook Express to Outlook #2
I have just purchased a new computer which will have Outllook 2007 installed. I currently use Outlook Express as my email reader. Will it be possible to transfer all of my OE folders and messages to the new Outlook, and if so, how easy (or complicated) will that be ? begin 666 p.gif M1TE&.#EAU0`.`)$``/___P``_P`````*(R'Y! $`````+ ````#5``X```+_ MA(^IR^T/HYRTVHNAR+P?L7EB%P1&V: C!;9?UX:KA@WV;=QXK@^\7BFI`*JA MPG@T'9 8&2#DM#BCLP558E-D>=S$UC)4,A?CI?)TYDP-LMB+K;BR77/0T_ZA MUZ/N._YYY^4C>+#U53@8E&:&9E8DMDB4%B;$^&BT!A@'QXD@EP#UIIGYJ6DZ M>G78!6"8B&...

MS Outlook 2010 beta
Hi I am using MS Outlook 2010 beta with a IMAP/SMTP type account and I am finding that all the emails I download and read are staying on my webmail server account. I cannot find a setting option anywhere to "delete server copy" Can someone please help me Thanks "Asha" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message news:uP1$9g9oKHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi I am using MS Outlook 2010 beta with a IMAP/SMTP type account and I am > finding that all the emails I download and read are staying on my webmail > server account. I cannot find a setting option an...