Outlook 2007 PST files and temp files

When I have PST files on the server, I notice that there is a temp file
accompanying it when Outlook is loaded.

Would loading the temp file on the local PC make Outlook quicker, if so, how
can one do this...?

Thanks,
Tom...

0
tkarpowski (81)

"TK" <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> wrote in message

> When I have PST files on the server, I notice that there is a temp file
> accompanying it when Outlook is loaded.
>
> Would loading the temp file on the local PC make Outlook quicker, if so, how
> can one do this...?

You shouldn't be using server-based PSTs in the first place.  It's not
supported and could lead to data loss.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/15/2009 9:58:35 PM
"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "TK" <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> wrote in message
>
>> When I have PST files on the server, I notice that there is a temp file
>> accompanying it when Outlook is loaded.
>>
>> Would loading the temp file on the local PC make Outlook quicker, if so,
>> how can one do this...?
>
> You shouldn't be using server-based PSTs in the first place.  It's not
> supported and could lead to data loss.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Yes, I have heard this, but have been practicing this successfully since
Exchange 4.0.

Am I not allowed to move the temp file locally if i have teh pst to the
server...?

Tom...

0
tkarpowski (81)
4/16/2009 12:54:03 PM

> "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "TK" <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> When I have PST files on the server, I notice that there is a temp file
>>> accompanying it when Outlook is loaded.
>>>
>>> Would loading the temp file on the local PC make Outlook quicker, if so,
>>> how can one do this...?
>>
>> You shouldn't be using server-based PSTs in the first place.  It's not
>> supported and could lead to data loss.
>> --
>> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
> Yes, I have heard this, but have been practicing this successfully since
> Exchange 4.0.

I think we need to understand why you want to do this.  What is it you think
you are achieving?

Ordinarily the Exchange server keeps everybody's emails and related
information in a mailbox held within the Exchange database on the server.
The backup facilities which you should have running on the server would
allow you to restore this database to a new or rebuilt server in the event
of loss.

On the client computer, the user configures Outlook to communicate with
Exchange.  This process creates a local .PST file.  Outlook synchronises the
data in the.PST file with the data held in the exchange mailbox.  So the
purpose of the .PST file is to improve performance by ensuring that most
data is held locally - it is nothing more than a cache.

If the user logs in to a different workstation on the domain, he can
configure Outlook in the same way; indeed if the Administrator has arranged
for the user to have a roaming profile the configuration of Outlook will be
done for him.  So it's easy for any user to log on to any workstation in the
domain and see the same working environment.  This doesn't work if the
workstations run the "home" OS versions because these cannot join the
domain; but W2k Pro, XP Pro, and Vista Business can all connect to a domain.

--
Graham J

"Graham J" <graham@nospam.zen.co.uk> wrote in message

> On the client computer, the user configures Outlook to communicate with
> Exchange.  This process creates a local .PST file.  Outlook synchronises the
> data in the.PST file with the data held in the exchange mailbox.  So the
> purpose of the .PST file is to improve performance by ensuring that most
> data is held locally - it is nothing more than a cache.

This is not quite correct.  Outlook does not use a PST as the Exchnage mailbox
cache.  It uses an OST.

> If the user logs in to a different workstation on the domain, he can
> configure Outlook in the same way; indeed if the Administrator has arranged
> for the user to have a roaming profile the configuration of Outlook will be
> done for him.  So it's easy for any user to log on to any workstation in the
> domain and see the same working environment.  This doesn't work if the
> workstations run the "home" OS versions because these cannot join the
> domain; but W2k Pro, XP Pro, and Vista Business can all connect to a domain.

This really has nothing to do with the tmp files created by Outlook 2007.
Those files are for faster recovery of the PST in the event of an abnormal
termination.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/16/2009 3:59:20 PM
"Graham J" <graham@nospam.zen.co.uk> wrote in message

> "TK" <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> "TK" <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> wrote in message

>>> You shouldn't be using server-based PSTs in the first place.  It's not
>>> supported and could lead to data loss.
>>> --
>>> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>> Yes, I have heard this, but have been practicing this successfully since
>> Exchange 4.0.
>
> I think we need to understand why you want to do this.  What is it you
> think you are achieving?
>
> Ordinarily the Exchange server keeps everybody's emails and related
> information in a mailbox held within the Exchange database on the server.
> The backup facilities which you should have running on the server would
> allow you to restore this database to a new or rebuilt server in the event
> of loss.
>
> On the client computer, the user configures Outlook to communicate with
> Exchange.  This process creates a local .PST file.  Outlook synchronises
> the data in the.PST file with the data held in the exchange mailbox.  So
> the purpose of the .PST file is to improve performance by ensuring that
> most data is held locally - it is nothing more than a cache.
>
> If the user logs in to a different workstation on the domain, he can
> configure Outlook in the same way; indeed if the Administrator has
> arranged for the user to have a roaming profile the configuration of
> Outlook will be done for him.  So it's easy for any user to log on to any
> workstation in the domain and see the same working environment.  This
> doesn't work if the workstations run the "home" OS versions because these
> cannot join the domain; but W2k Pro, XP Pro, and Vista Business can all
> connect to a domain.
>
> --
> Graham J

My goal is -- Granted I am saving my PST to a server and Outlook 2007 saves
the temp file to the same location holding the PST file, will saving the
temp file to the C: increase performance...?

My users have their PSTs from 1997, yes 1997.  Each year, the user gets a
new PST.  They move the email they want to keep forever to that yearly PST.
Granted when the limit was 1.8GB, they had multiple PSTs per year.  Now I
cap the PST to around 190 GB.  I keep them on the server so I back them up
daily.  In Feb, after they have archived for the year, i copy it to their C:
for access.

That's my process and it works great.  Everyone has emails back to 1997 or
when they started with the company.

I was just thinking of optimizing...

Tom....

0
tkarpowski (81)
4/16/2009 4:04:01 PM
"TK" <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> wrote in message

> Yes, I have heard this, but have been practicing this successfully since
> Exchange 4.0.
>
> Am I not allowed to move the temp file locally if i have teh pst to the
> server...?

The tmp files that Outlook 2007 creates will, as far as I can tell, always be
in the same folder as the PST files they support.  From what I can gather,
they enable faster recovery of the PST if Outlook terminates abnormally.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/16/2009 4:06:07 PM
> "TK" <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> wrote in message
>
>> Yes, I have heard this, but have been practicing this successfully since
>> Exchange 4.0.
>>
>> Am I not allowed to move the temp file locally if i have teh pst to the
>> server...?
>
> The tmp files that Outlook 2007 creates will, as far as I can tell, always
> be in the same folder as the PST files they support.  From what I can
> gather, they enable faster recovery of the PST if Outlook terminates
> abnormally.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Make perfect sense...!
Thanks,
Tom...

0
tkarpowski (81)

PST file locaion under Win7
Hi, Where does outlook 2007 keeps PST files under windows7? Apparently under Users/myname there is no folder AppData\Local... Thank you for your help. ...

Linking files 2 ways

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Maximum file sizes

Outlook Sales

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

File size #11

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

find action on log file

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

cannot open hyper links in outlook