Outlook-2007 IMAP Hangs

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has managed to come up with a solution to Outlook
2007's behaviour with IMAP. I am running it on a laptop, which I put to
sleep a few times a day.

It seems that when you either start the application or just awake your
laptop after a longer time when Outlook has not been checking an IMAP
account, it takes it anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes to actually download the
IMAP email. This is usually much worse when there are a lot of spam
messages (by a lot I mean ~10, not really *that* much) to filter out into
the Junk folder.

You can either wait for the above period of time, during which the
application is basically hung up, or you can kill it and restart (although
you need to do this manually, not through the "restart outlook" requester)
at which point it will load up, have the IMAP email available, but not
filtered with the rules.

Any ideas?

Iggy
0
blob (3)

I have a similar problem with Outlook in regards to the fact that if you
click on an IMAP e-mail, the app is basically hung while it downloads the
message, or sending e-mail, or any operation involving e-mails on an IMAP
server.  If you have a bad internet connection, you can't do anything in the
meantime because it takes a while to download the message.  This is
completely different behaviour from Outlook Express, which doesn't hang the
app when you perform operations on the e-mail on an IMAP server.

I'd be interested in an acknowledgement of this problem from someone who is
intimately knowledgeable with Outlook 2007 and whether this is something the
Office team would be considering fixing in the future.

"Wigster" <blob@blob.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if anyone has managed to come up with a solution to Outlook
> 2007's behaviour with IMAP. I am running it on a laptop, which I put to
> sleep a few times a day.
>
> It seems that when you either start the application or just awake your
> laptop after a longer time when Outlook has not been checking an IMAP
> account, it takes it anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes to actually download
> the
> IMAP email. This is usually much worse when there are a lot of spam
> messages (by a lot I mean ~10, not really *that* much) to filter out into
> the Junk folder.
>
> You can either wait for the above period of time, during which the
> application is basically hung up, or you can kill it and restart (although
> you need to do this manually, not through the "restart outlook" requester)
> at which point it will load up, have the IMAP email available, but not
> filtered with the rules.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Iggy

0
testman1 (12)
2/10/2007 8:53:44 AM
Test Man wrote:
> I have a similar problem with Outlook in regards to the fact that if you
> click on an IMAP e-mail, the app is basically hung while it downloads the
> message, or sending e-mail, or any operation involving e-mails on an IMAP
> server.  If you have a bad internet connection, you can't do anything in the
> meantime because it takes a while to download the message.  This is
> completely different behaviour from Outlook Express, which doesn't hang the
> app when you perform operations on the e-mail on an IMAP server.

I have done some network analysis on what happens during an Outlook 2007
IMAP session and basically, it is checking all folders even when
configured not to.

This is even if the case if you have reconfigured it to only check the
Inbox (which for most people is the only place that mail arrives). It
seems as though their IMAP implementation in Outlook 2007 is essentially
broken. So while it appears to be hanging, it is checking all folders
for new mail instead of just the Inbox.

Additionally, while it is hanging, it does not appear to allow
multi-threaded interaction with Outlook. I would care a whole lot less
that it was hanging if I could check my calendar or open up a new
e-mail, but you have to wait.

I am not sure what they were thinking....

Anyways, in my testing with ethereal, at least in my example I would see
  maybe 1000 packets every time I did a send-recieve even though there
might be no new mail.

With Thunderbird, there might be a lot of packets on initial start up,
but after that, checking mail would result in 5 or 6 packets passing
across the network. Just enough to for the app to see that there was no
new mail.

Thunderbird is lightning fast, but the calendaring leaves a lot to be
desired...

Bummer, too bad I need Outlook Free/Busy...

John

> I'd be interested in an acknowledgement of this problem from someone who is
> intimately knowledgeable with Outlook 2007 and whether this is something the
> Office team would be considering fixing in the future.
>
> "Wigster" <blob@blob.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone has managed to come up with a solution to Outlook
>> 2007's behaviour with IMAP. I am running it on a laptop, which I put to
>> sleep a few times a day.
>>
>> It seems that when you either start the application or just awake your
>> laptop after a longer time when Outlook has not been checking an IMAP
>> account, it takes it anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes to actually download
>> the
>> IMAP email. This is usually much worse when there are a lot of spam
>> messages (by a lot I mean ~10, not really *that* much) to filter out into
>> the Junk folder.
>>
>> You can either wait for the above period of time, during which the
>> application is basically hung up, or you can kill it and restart (although
>> you need to do this manually, not through the "restart outlook" requester)
>> at which point it will load up, have the IMAP email available, but not
>> filtered with the rules.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Iggy

0
jurness (5)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Outlook Sales

OL 2002 Hanging up When Attaching Docs

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems