Outlook 2007 and UTF-8 encoding problems

Hi all!

Outlook 2007 seems to not work with plain text letters in UTF-8 encoding.
How to reproduce:
1. Create a new e-mail using UTF-8 encoding in plain text format
2. Type in main body (not subject!) some NON-ASCII letters (for example
cyrillic symbols)
3. Fill "To" field (use your own e-mail address)
4. Send&Receive
5. Open message. It is unreadable until you switch message encoding to any
other and back to UTF-8.

0
sokol (3)

I can't duplicate the problem here. I turned off auto-encoding, then =
created a message in plain text format, typed some cyrillic text into it =
(I have the Russian keyboard input installed), changed the encoding to =
UTF-8, and sent the message to myself and to my Gmail account. It looked =
perfect in both places.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
"Konstantin Sokolovskiy" <sokol@inbox.ru> wrote in message =
> Hi all!
>=20
> Outlook 2007 seems to not work with plain text letters in UTF-8 =
encoding.
> How to reproduce:
> 1. Create a new e-mail using UTF-8 encoding in plain text format
> 2. Type in main body (not subject!) some NON-ASCII letters (for =
example=20
> cyrillic symbols)
> 3. Fill "To" field (use your own e-mail address)
> 4. Send&Receive
> 5. Open message. It is unreadable until you switch message encoding to =
any=20
> other and back to UTF-8.=20
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)
6/15/2006 4:45:37 PM
This problem can be reproduced in use IMAP account only.
I have two IMAP accounts (IMAP servers use different software) and I can
reproduce this error on both accounts.
This problem cannot be reproduced on POP accounts.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Konstantin Sokolovskiy" <sokol@inbox.ru> wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> Outlook 2007 seems to not work with plain text letters in UTF-8 encoding.
> How to reproduce:
> 1. Create a new e-mail using UTF-8 encoding in plain text format
> 2. Type in main body (not subject!) some NON-ASCII letters (for example
> cyrillic symbols)
> 3. Fill "To" field (use your own e-mail address)
> 4. Send&Receive
> 5. Open message. It is unreadable until you switch message encoding to any
> other and back to UTF-8.

0
sokol (3)
6/16/2006 9:52:41 AM
I did my tests against an IMAP server (Rockliffe). Maybe it's a per =
server issue. What server are you using?=20

> This problem can be reproduced in use IMAP account only.
> I have two IMAP accounts (IMAP servers use different software) and I =
can=20
> reproduce this error on both accounts.
> This problem cannot be reproduced on POP accounts.
>=20
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message=20
> I can't duplicate the problem here. I turned off auto-encoding, then =
created=20
> a message in plain text format, typed some cyrillic text into it (I =
have the=20
> Russian keyboard input installed), changed the encoding to UTF-8, and =
sent=20
> the message to myself and to my Gmail account. It looked perfect in =
both=20
> places.
>=20
> "Konstantin Sokolovskiy" <sokol@inbox.ru> wrote in message=20
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Outlook 2007 seems to not work with plain text letters in UTF-8 =
encoding.
>> How to reproduce:
>> 1. Create a new e-mail using UTF-8 encoding in plain text format
>> 2. Type in main body (not subject!) some NON-ASCII letters (for =
example
>> cyrillic symbols)
>> 3. Fill "To" field (use your own e-mail address)
>> 4. Send&Receive
>> 5. Open message. It is unreadable until you switch message encoding =
to any
>> other and back to UTF-8.
>>
>>=20
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)
6/16/2006 2:32:44 PM
One of them is IBM WorkPlace Collaboration Services, another one is
iPlanet

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> I did my tests against an IMAP server (Rockliffe). Maybe it's a per server issue. What server are you using?
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>    Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>      http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm
>    and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>
> "Konstantin Sokolovskiy" <sokol@inbox.ru> wrote in message news:efiaMpSkGHA.2280@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> > This problem can be reproduced in use IMAP account only.
> > I have two IMAP accounts (IMAP servers use different software) and I can
> > reproduce this error on both accounts.
> > This problem cannot be reproduced on POP accounts.
> >
> > "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
> > I can't duplicate the problem here. I turned off auto-encoding, then created
> > a message in plain text format, typed some cyrillic text into it (I have the
> > Russian keyboard input installed), changed the encoding to UTF-8, and sent
> > the message to myself and to my Gmail account. It looked perfect in both
> > places.
> >
> > "Konstantin Sokolovskiy" <sokol@inbox.ru> wrote in message
> >> Hi all!
> >>
> >> Outlook 2007 seems to not work with plain text letters in UTF-8 encoding.
> >> How to reproduce:
> >> 1. Create a new e-mail using UTF-8 encoding in plain text format
> >> 2. Type in main body (not subject!) some NON-ASCII letters (for example
> >> cyrillic symbols)
> >> 3. Fill "To" field (use your own e-mail address)
> >> 4. Send&Receive
> >> 5. Open message. It is unreadable until you switch message encoding to any
> >> other and back to UTF-8.

I passed that information along to Microsoft.=20

FYI, if you want to provide feedback on the public preview version of =
Office 2007 Beta 2, get the Send a Smile tool from =
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3DA2E1F4E2-BC0F-=
4403-B09F-7A677D55F274. This tool will transmit your comments and a =
screenshot back to Microsoft. For more information, see =
http://spaces.msn.com/turtleflock-ol2007/blog/cns!C1013F1F9A99E3D8!135.en=
try

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20

0
suemvp (4038)

Window panes in Outlook 2003
Just got 2003 and find a third window pane on the far right which is a preview pane for the selected e-mail, evidently. I can find no way to eliminate the window pane. Is there a way to remove this pane? How? I've tried every VIEW combination with no success. View > Reading Pane > Off doesn't work? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "jay" <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C953EF40-873E-4A04-93A8-FE101A547D0D@microsoft.com... > Just got 2003 and find a third window pane on the far right which is a > preview pane for the selected e-m...

Excel 2007

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

SQL deadlock problem

docmd.transfertext problem