Outlook 2003 opens emails in background.

Hi.  I'm experiencing a problem where Outlook 2003 will start opening
e-mails in the background after a while.  I am not sure if this is
related to other applications being started or stopped (maybe word,
which is set as the e-mail editor?), but haven't noticed any direct
correlations.

The system is running Windows XP SP2 and is connected to Exchange.

Exiting Outlook and re-opening it will reset it so that e-mails once
again opens as expected--in windows that are in focus.

I found a similar problem reported here, but with no replies:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/browse_thread/thread/4c0f70d78b8604d6/a5f24dfb0ba3b387

Any ideas what might be causing this?  Are there any MS KB articles on
it (or similar issues)?

Thanks,

Clayton Hughes

clayton.hughes@gmail.com <clayton.hughes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.  I'm experiencing a problem where Outlook 2003 will start opening
> e-mails in the background after a while.  I am not sure if this is
> related to other applications being started or stopped (maybe word,
> which is set as the e-mail editor?), but haven't noticed any direct
> correlations.

What do you mean by "opening e-mails in the background"?  Do you mean that
when you open a message that its window is behind other windows?  (The post
you cite indicates that to me.)  Do you have any add-ins, especially Plaxo?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
5/2/2006 3:30:02 PM
I did not think that I had any add-ins, and certainly have never heard
of Plaxo.

There are, however, a few add-ins listed and checked under the add-in
manager.  These are "LDVP", "Delegate Access", "Deleted Item
Retrieval", "Exchange Extension Commands", "Exchange Extension Property
Pages".  There is also an item there that is not checked, which is
"Server Scripting."

These all look fairly benign, although I don't know what the LDVP one
is (A Symantec add-in, maybe?).

Also, as a note, I have the 'use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit
e-mail messages' selected.

Also, yes, the windows open as you describe them.  They have focus in
the taskbar when opened, but do not appear on the screen.  Outlook
itself must be minimized before I can see the message.

clayton.hughes@gmail.com <clayton.hughes@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did not think that I had any add-ins, and certainly have never heard
> of Plaxo.
>
> There are, however, a few add-ins listed and checked under the add-in
> manager.  These are "LDVP", "Delegate Access", "Deleted Item
> Retrieval", "Exchange Extension Commands", "Exchange Extension
> Property Pages".  There is also an item there that is not checked,
> which is "Server Scripting."

I'd start by disabling them one at a time to see if that made a difference.
--
Brian Tillman
0

Other steps I've tried include reinstallation, as well as the KB
article found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=886217, which describes
similar problems.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Clayton Hughes

Attaching Contacts to new email

Some Emails Cannot be Delivered

From time to time, I will recieve email from friends, family, or business...and when I get the email, I open it up to find nothing but white space. I can't find a common thing between emails. I just know it is very frustrating when I have to ask people to resend the email to me or to a new address. When I look at my mail on the server, it is fine. It is when I open Outlook and it downloads it to my desktop. I get nothing. Any ideas? Cheers.. vg Sorry, wanted to add that I am using OL2003 with WINXP and everything is updated SP wise. I am starting to see some articles on this...

owa cant open ppt attachments

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

invalid email address

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems